Building Web Applications and Microservices for the Cloud with Go and React
The Complete Guide to Building Cloud-Based Services
Cloud Native Go shows developers how to build massive cloud applications that meet the insatiable demands of today’s customers, and will dynamically scale to handle virtually any volume of data, traffic, or users.
Kevin Hoffman and Dan Nemeth more » describe the modern cloud-native application in detail, illuminating factors, disciplines, and habits associated with rapid, reliable cloud-native development. They also introduce Go, a “simply elegant” high-performance language that is especially well-suited for cloud development.
You’ll walk through creating microservices in Go, adding front-end web components using ReactJS and Flux, and mastering advanced Go-based cloud-native techniques. Hoffman and Nemeth show how to build a continuous delivery pipeline with tools like Wercker, Docker, and Dockerhub; automatically push apps to leading platforms; and systematically monitor app performance in production.
* Learn “The Way of the Cloud”: why developing good cloud software is fundamentally about mindset and discipline
* Discover why Go is ideal for cloud-native microservices development
* Plan cloud apps that support continuous delivery and deployment
* Design service ecosystems, and then build them in a test-first manner
* Push work-in-progress to a cloud
* Use Event Sourcing and CQRS patterns to react and respond to enormous volume and throughput
* Secure cloud-based web applications: do’s, don’ts, and options
* Create reactive applications in the cloud with third-party messaging providers
* Build massive-scale, cloud-friendly GUIs with React and Flux
* Monitor dynamic scaling, failover, and fault tolerance in the cloud « less
Accelerate Your Web Applications
How long does it take for your website to load? Web performance is just as critical for small and medium-sized websites as it is for massive websites that receive tons of hits. Before you pour money and time into rewriting your code or replacing your infrastructure, first consider a reverse-caching proxy more » server like Varnish. With this practical book, you’ll learn how Varnish can give your website or API an immediate performance boost.
Varnish mimicks the behavior of your webserver, caches its output in memory, and serves the result directly to clients without having to access your webserver. If you’re a web developer familiar with HTTP, this book helps you master Varnish basics, so you can get up and running in no time. You’ll learn how to use the Varnish Configuration Language and HTTP best practices to achieve faster performance and a higher hit rate.
* Understand how Varnish helps you gain optimum web performance
* Use HTTP to improve the cache-ability of your websites, web applications, and APIs
* Properly invalidate your cache when the origin data changes
* Optimize access to your backend servers
* Avoid common mistakes when using Varnish in the wild
* Use logging and debugging tools to examine the behavior of Varnish « less
This brief book is an easy-to-digest introduction to the key concepts of web development. Understand the concepts of the web and how they apply to static and dynamic websites. See how HTML and CSS are used to create the bones of the web.
Concisely presented through four key concept chapters, Introducing more » Web Development will enable you to get a clear understanding of how web development works.
What You Will Learn
* How the web works and interacts with websites
* What static and dynamic websites are and how they work
* How the static parts of a website are coded using HTML and CSS
Who This Book Is For
Anyone who wants to understand the basics of web development. « less
Webpack, a module bundler, is a powerful tool that helps you to develop complex web applications. "SurviveJS - Webpack" is meant for beginner to intermediate users of the tool wanting to understand webpack better.
You will develop a complex configuration in the book tutorial while covering different more » facets of webpack. In addition, the 45 short chapters and seven appendices work as a reference.
Even though the book has been designed around webpack, many of the techniques covered go beyond it. You will learn to improve the quality of your code while becoming aware of optimization techniques that help you to deliver more performant web applications.
The book was developed in collaboration with the webpack community, and its structure has evolved accordingly. A third of royalties go to Tobias Koppers, the author of the tool. The writer is a core developer of webpack so by purchasing this book you will support the effort in multiple ways.
* After weeks failing at configuring webpack, I stumbled upon SurviveJS book while looking for yet another tutorial. Since that day, it has been my go-to resource for every single webpack question I ever had. - Clément Paris, Front-end engineer
* Brilliant! A must have if you want to to learn webpack but also if need an updated reference guide. I always use it as a reference guide when I develop. - Andrea Chiumenti, CEO, Red Software Systems
* Before I worked through the SurviveJS webpack book, my own webpack config, cobbled together from random code on the Internet, was a mystery to me. Afterwards, I have route-splitting and parallel-loading superpowers. - Gavin Doughtie, Senior Software Engineer, Google
* Webpack is powerful but configuring it can be painful. Same goes with React. There are so many ways of configuring React with asset compilation, minification etc that it is easy to get lost. This book provides practical tips on how to proceed. - Neeraj Singh, Founder, Big Binary
* This guide is a great way to get started with webpack or improve your existing skills. After a detailed introduction, you'll start working on a webpack project that provides all you need to push your app to production. Highly recommended. - Julien Castelain, Software Engineer, Liferay
Juho Vepsäläinen is behind the SurviveJS effort, and he is a core member of webpack. In addition to Reactabular, a table library, he has been active in the open source scene for a decade, and his past includes projects like Blender. « less
Building Faster Web Pages
The content of the web is maturing and increasing in complexity, but internet infrastructure quality varies widely across the globe. People are browsing the web through a greater variety of devices and networks than ever before. Your website's visitors may be browsing via resource constrained connections, more » or limited by restricted data plans. Due to these hard realities, it's more important than ever that your website loads quickly, lest you alienate your visitors before they ever get a chance to see what your site has to offer.
Web Performance in Action is your companion guide to making websites faster. Throughout the course of this book, you'll learn techniques that speed the delivery of your site's assets to the user, increase rendering speed, decrease the overall footprint of your site, as well as learn how to build a workflow that automates common optimization techniques. You'll also get a look at new technologies such as HTTP/2 that will take your website's speed from merely adequate to seriously fast. « less
Bringing the Power of Simple to Modern Websites
For years now, web developers have used powerful application servers like PHP and Node that could create our web apps. But recently there's been a shift between how much we can do on an application server versus how much we can do on the browser itself—as well as what we can do on a mobile app. This more » practical book shows readers how static site generators provide a powerful middle ground between a full app server deployment and a simple collection of static files.
Static websites today are just like vinyl LPs: they’re coming back. With this book, you'll discover just how these websites still fulfill a vital need for bloggers as well as people who just want to disseminate information. « less
Explore the robust features of Bootstrap 4 to create exciting websites through this collection of excellent hands-on projects
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Explore the inner workings of Bootstrap 4 by building different websites
* Customize your designs by working directly with Bootstrap’s SASS files
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Integrate Bootstrap into application frameworks such as Angular 2 (AngularJS), Ember, and React
* Reuse Bootstrap’s SASS mixins and set responsive breakpoints in your designs
* Customize Bootstrap’s SASS files and add your own in the process
* Manage multiple rows of products in a complex responsive grid
* Create a complete one-page scrolling website using Bootstrap’s components and plugins
Packed with trade secrets, this second edition is your one-stop solution to creating websites that will provide the best experience for your users. We cover six popular, real-world examples, where each project teaches you about the various functionalities of Bootstrap 4 and their implementation.
STYLE AND APPROACH
This book follows a project-based approach to creating different types of popular websites using Bootstrap. You’ll work through easy-to-follow, clear, and logical steps, with screenshots and tips provided along the way to help you get more from Bootstrap. « less
Front-end development targets the browser, putting your applications in front of the widest range of users regardless of device or operating system. This guide will give you a solid foundation for creating rich web experiences across platforms.
Each chapter of this book will guide you through essential concepts and APIs as you build a series of applications. You will implement responsive UIs, access remote web services, build applications with Ember.js, and more. You will also debug and test your code with cutting-edge development tools and harness the power of Node.js and the wealth of open-source modules in the npm registry. After working through the step-by-step example projects, you will understand how to build modern websites and web applications. « less
Design robust, powerful, and above all, modern websites across all manner of devices with ease using HTML5 and CSS3
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Use Responsive Grid System, Bootstrap, and Foundation frameworks for responsive web design
* Learn how to use the latest features of CSS including custom fonts, nth-child selectors (and some CSS4 selectors), CSS custom properties (variables), and CSS calc
* Make a mobile website more » using jQuery mobile and mobile-first design
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This course is for web developers who are familiar with HTML and CSS but want to understand the essentials of responsive web design. It is for those developers who are willing to seek innovative techniques that deliver fast, intuitive interfacing with the latest mobile Internet devices.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Build a semantic website structure with HTML5 elements
* Use Bower to organize website dependencies
* Make responsive media that is optimized for the specific device on which it's displayed, allowing images, videos, and other elements be fully appreciated
* Make typography that's fluidly responsive, so it's easy to read on all devices—no more hard-to-see text on a tiny mobile screen
* Get to know techniques for server-side and client-side media deployment, providing platforms that are scaled for any device that requests them
Responsive web design is an explosive area of growth in modern web development due to the huge volume of different device sizes and resolutions that are now commercially available. The Internet is going mobile. Desktop-only websites just aren't good enough anymore. With mobile internet usage still rising and tablets changing internet consumption habits, you need to know how to build websites that will just “work,” regardless of the devices used to access them. This Learning Path course explains all the key approaches necessary to create and maintain a modern responsive design using HTML5 and CSS3.
Our first module is a step-by-step introduction to ease you into the responsive world, where you will learn to build engaging websites. With coverage of Responsive Grid System, Bootstrap, and Foundation, you will discover three of the most robust frameworks in responsive web design. Next, you'll learn to create a cool blog page, a beautiful portfolio site, and a crisp professional business site and make them all totally responsive.
Packed with examples and a thorough explanation of modern techniques and syntax, the second module provides a comprehensive resource for all things “responsive.” You'll explore the most up-to-date techniques and tools needed to build great responsive designs, ensuring that your projects won't just be built “right” for today, but in the future too.
The last and the final module is your guide to obtaining full access to next generation devices and browser technology. Create responsive applications that make snappy connections for mobile browsers and give your website the latest design and development advantages to reach mobile devices. At the end of this course, you will learn to get and use all the tools you need to build and test your responsive web project performance and take your website to the next level.
This Learning Path combines some of the best that Packt has to offer in one complete, curated package. It includes content from the following Packt products:
* Responsive Web Design by Example: Beginner's Guide - Second Edition by Thoriq Firdaus
* Responsive Web Design with HTML5 and CSS3 - Second Edition by Ben Frain
* HTML5 and CSS3 Responsive Web Design Cookbook by Benjamin LaGrone
STYLE AND APPROACH
This Learning Path course provides a simplistic and easy way to build powerful, engaging, responsive, and future proof websites across devices using HTML5 and CSS3 to meet the demands of the modern web user. « less
Build real-time responsive web apps using React and Bootstrap
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Showcase the power of React-Bootstrap through real-world examples
* Explore the benefits of integrating React with various frameworks and APIs
* See the benefits of using the latest frameworks to make your web development experience enchanting
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* See how to integrate Bootstrap with React
* Explore the Redux architecture and understand its benefits
* Build a custom responsive theme with React-Bootstrap components
* Easily interact with DOM on your web browser
* Appreciate the advantages of using JSX
* Get acquainted with the various routing methods in React
* Integrate external APIs into React
Bootstrap is one of the most popular front-end frameworks, and integrating it with React allows web developers to write much cleaner code. This book will help you gain a thorough understanding of the Bootstrap framework and show you how to build impressive web apps.
In this book, you will get an overview of the features of Bootstrap and ReactJS, along with the integration of React-Bootstrap components with ReactJS. You will understand the benefits of using JSX and the Redux architecture. The server-side rendering of React will also be shown. All the concepts are explained by developing real-world examples.
By the end of this book, you will be equipped to create responsive web applications using Bootstrap style and React-Bootstrap components with ReactJS, and will have an insight into the best practices.
STYLE AND APPROACH
The mission is to help you make a live and fully-responsive web application using React-Bootstrap with hands-on examples and step-by-step instructions. This book is linear as well as progressive, so every chapter builds upon the knowledge gained in the last. « less