A step-by-step guide to why, when and how to register a copyright in a website, with detailed information about:
•what copyright law does and doesn't protect
•what website content can be registered
•which forms to use
•how to complete an application
•why websites normally can't be registered as more » "serials"
•what to do about website updates
•the copyright definition of publication
•what to deposit, and how
•other copyright protection measures
Written by an attorney. « less
How Top Design Leaders Build and Grow Successful Organizations
What does it take to be the leader of a design firm or group? We often assume they have all the answers, but in this rapidly evolving industry they’re forced to find their way like the rest of us. So how do good design leaders manage? If you lead a design group, or want to understand the people who do, more » this insightful book explores behind-the-scenes strategies and tactics from leaders of top design companies throughout North America.
Based on scores of interviews he conducted over a two-year period—from small companies to massive corporations like ESPN—author Richard Banfield covers a wide range of topics, including:
* How design leaders create a healthy company culture
* Innovative ways for attracting and nurturing talent
* Creating productive workspaces, and handling remote employees
* Staying on top of demands while making time for themselves
* Consistent patterns among vastly different leadership styles
* Techniques and approaches for keeping the work pipeline full
* Making strategic and tactical plans for the future
* Mistakes that design leaders made—and how they bounced back « less
An Object Oriented Approach Using C++
Use powerful C# algorithms and Object Oriented Programming (OOP) to aid in hedge fund decision making Hedge fund managers cannot afford to ignore their risk/return profiles, and taking advantage of new technologies is an excellent way to minimize risk and capitalize on various investment styles. As Hedge more » Fund Analysis and Modeling Using C# demonstrates, the C# programming language is perfectly suited to hedge fund analysis. This book serves as a complete course in hedge fund modeling and provides a primer on C# and Object Oritented Programming (OOP) that will allow you to manage risk easily and make the most of key statistics.
Covering both basic and risk-adjusted performance measures, Hedge Fund Analysis and Modeling Using C# moves from simple to sophisticated analysis techniques, using worked examples to show you exactly how to manage return in an era of volatility and financial risk. You'll have access to:
* Complete guidance on using C# and Objected Oriented Programming (OOP) for analysis using non-normal returns data and other key statistics
* Bonus content on a companion website containing C# programs, algorithms, and data available for download
* Real world modeling exercises that demonstrate the identification of risk and return factors
* Complete guidance for optimizing hedge fund decisions using quantitative strategies
This is the only book on the market that guides you through using C# to model hedge fund risks and returns. Along with its companion titles on Excel/VBA analysis and MATLAB analysis, Hedge Fund Analysis and Modeling Using C# contributes important guidance for hedge fund managers who want to take advantage of technological platforms for optimal fund performance. « less
Concepts, Case Studies, and Agent-Based Models
This book brings together original research on the role of networks in regional economic development and innovation. It presents a comprehensive framework synthesizing extant theories, a palette of real-world cases in the aerospace, automotive, life science, biotechnology and health care industries, more » and fundamental agent-based computer models elucidating the relation between regional development and network dynamics.
The book is primarily intended for researchers in the fields of innovation economics and evolutionary economic geography, and particularly those interested in using agent-based models and empirical case studies. However, it also targets (regional) innovation policy makers who are not only interested in policy recommendations, but also want to understand the state-of-the-art agent-based modeling methods used to experimentally arrive at said recommendations. « less
Learn, Deploy and Adopt IT through Gamification
This concise book shows readers how experiential learning can be used to overcome the challenges posed in applying and delivering information technology (IT) to their business needs through innovative, game-based approach.
Technology innovations and evolving business models are part of a rapid change more » that is forcing corporate and management professionals to learn, deploy, and adopt IT in new ways in order to maintain a competitive advantage. Many are doing this through experiential learning. You’ll begin by reviewing the basics of experiential learning and its relevance to IT, followed by six chapters that apply the hands-on concept through various scenarios.
Make IT Through Experiential Learning one of your valued resources today.
What You'll Learn:
* Innovative and proven IT-related application scenarios
* Generic management and leadership skill development
* Guidance for applying the learning methods for generating extraordinary results over conventional methods
Who This Book Is For:
IT professionals, higher education students, and those engaged in training and organizational development. « less
Unlocking Digital Cryptocurrencies
Join the technological revolution that’s taking the world of finance by storm. Mastering Bitcoin is your guide through the seemingly complex world of bitcoin, providing the knowledge you need to participate in the internet of money. Whether you’re building the next killer app, investing in a startup, more » or simply curious about the technology, this revised and expanded second edition provides essential detail to get you started.
Bitcoin, the first successful decentralized digital currency, is still in its early stages and yet it’s already spawned a multi-billion dollar global economy. This economy is open to anyone with the knowledge and passion to participate. Mastering Bitcoin provides the knowledge. You simply supply the passion.
The second edition includes:
* A broad introduction to bitcoin—ideal for non-technical users, investors, and business executives
* An explanation of the technical foundations of bitcoin and cryptographic currencies for developers, engineers, and software and systems architects
* Details of the bitcoin decentralized network, peer-to-peer architecture, transaction lifecycle, and security principles
* New developments such as Segregated Witness, Payment Channels, and Lightning Network
* Offshoots of the bitcoin and blockchain inventions, including alternative chains, currencies, and applications
* User stories, analogies, examples, and code snippets illustrating key technical concepts « less
Getting paid using Stripe or PayPal is only the beginning of creating a fully-functional e-commerce application. You also need to handle failure cases, inventory management, administration, security, reporting, and be compliant with legal issues. Manage one-time transactions and recurring subscriptions, more » handle inventory management, issue discounts and refunds, mitigate administration and compliance issues, and test your code to ensure your customers have a smooth, hassle-free experience.
An e-commerce payment application is literally rewarding to build--you can see the return on investment as genuine money is added to your account. But it can be stressful to manage, with security and compliance concerns and administration issues. And your entire business may depend on these features working smoothly.
Let Noel Rappin guide you through the setup and complications of dealing with online financial transactions.
Go beyond just the interaction with the gateway service and build an application that will be robust and useful over time. Set up a Stripe and PayPal payment gateway and accept credit card payments. Use the Stripe API to improve security by validating credit card data without sending it through your own server. Design your application for maximum flexibility against the inevitable complexities of business logic, including handling discounts. Manage the multiple failure points of dealing with payment gateways and test for failure cases. Use background jobs to simplify third-party interactions. Handle administrative tasks such as issuing refunds and discounts while maintaining data integrity and security. Create subscription plans and manage recurring payments, and stay on top of legal issues regarding taxes, reporting, and compliance. Pay affiliates or contributors from your application.
By the end, you will know how to create a fully-functional web payment-taking machine.
What You Need:
The code in this book works with Ruby 2.3.1 and Rails 5, though nearly all of the code will run with earlier versions of Ruby and Rails. « less
Learning From Failure and Success
Failure is inevitable. Our increasingly complex world demands that we continuously learn from failures (and successes) in order to survive and thrive. And yet, our learning is too often undermined. We construct biased but comfortable stories, which often feature a simple, single "root cause"--a villain, more » someone to take the blame. Having done that, we short-circuit the possibility of developing any deeper understanding of the complex systems we work with. With this common approach, our systems will become more fragile and drift into failure.
In this concise and entertaining book, I.T. veteran Dave Zwieback describes an incident that threatens the very existence of a large financial institution, and the counterintuitive steps its leadership took to stop the downward spiral. Their novel approach is grounded in proven concepts from complexity science, resilience engineering, human factors, cognitive science, and organizational psychology. It allows us to identify the underlying conditions for failure, and make our systems (and organizations) safer and more resilient.
* Get a clear understanding of the downside of blame
* Learn how to identify (and counteract) cognitive biases in groups
* See how organizations can determine the real root cause of problems
* Establish real accountability with your organization
* Use the Learning Review Framework to fully learn from failures of complex systems
* Find practical insights and tips for moving beyond blame in your own organization « less
Rethinking IT in the Digital Service Economy
Now that we’re moving from a product economy to a digital service economy, software is becoming critical for navigating our everyday lives. The quality of your service depends on how well it helps customers accomplish goals and satisfy needs. Service quality is not about designing capabilities, but about more » making—and keeping—promises to customers.
To help you improve customer satisfaction and create positive brand experiences, this pragmatic book introduces a transdisciplinary approach to digital service delivery. Designing a resilient service today requires a unified effort across front-office and back-office functions and technical and business perspectives. You’ll learn how make IT a full partner in the ongoing conversations you have with your customers.
* Take a unique customer-centered approach to the entire service delivery lifecycle
* Apply this perspective across development, operations, QA, design, project management, and marketing
* Implement a specific quality assurance methodology that unifies those disciplines
* Use the methodology to achieve true resilience, not just stability « less
Why Creating Shared Value is the Key to Powering Business Growth and Innovation
Bring the heart of your company into the community with effective CSR
Doing Good by Doing Good shows companies how to improve the bottom line by implementing an engaging, authentic, and business-enhancing program that helps staff and business thrive. International CSR consultant Peter Baines draws more » upon lessons learnt from the challenges faced in his career as a police officer, forensic investigator, and founder of Hands Across the Water to describe the Australian CSR landscape, and the factors that make up a program that benefits everyone involved. Case studies illustrate the real effect of CSR on both business and society, with clear guidance toward maximizing involvement, engaging all employees, and improving the bottom line. The case studies draw out the companies that are focusing on creating shared value in meeting the challenges of society whilst at the same time bringing strong economic returns.
Consumers are now expecting that big businesses with ever-increasing profits give back to the community from which those profits arise. At the same time, shareholders are demanding their share and are happy to see dividends soar. Getting this right is a balancing act, and Doing Good by Doing Good helps companies delineate a plan of action for getting it done. Readers will:
* Define an effective CSR strategy that promotes better business and makes a real impact
* Understand the current landscape to evaluate the CSR options that are right for your company
* Understand why corporate philanthropy is no longer enough
* Identify the hard and soft key performance indicators that help keep your program on track
* Gain an understanding of the concept of shared value and the importance to business
* Gain insight into each step of the CSR process, from interest, to information, to implementation
The concept of CSR is not new, but traditional "payroll deductions" and "volunteer days" are out-dated and grossly ineffective. Today, companies are building simple, well-constructed programs that are changing business and changing lives on a much grander scale. Doing Good by Doing Good provides a fool proof strategy for CSR planning, with value to the company, employees, and community at large. « less