This textbook provides an introduction for computational methods in bioinformatics using a spreadsheet, Python 3.4 and MySQL. Methods are shown to manipulate basic information and to execute common analytical techniques. This text is designed for the biology student that has very little experience in more » computer analysis. « less
Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Quantitative Logic and Soft Computing
This book is the proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Quantitative Logic and Soft Computing (QLSC2016) held 14-17, October, 2016 in Zhejiang Sci-Tech University, Hangzhou, China. It includes 61 papers, of which 5 are plenary talks( 3 abstracts and 2 full length talks). QLSC2016 was the more » fourth in a series of conferences on Quantitative Logic and Soft Computing. This conference was a major symposium for scientists, engineers and practitioners to present their updated results, ideas, developments and applications in all areas of quantitative logic and soft computing. The book aims to strengthen relations between industry research laboratories and universities in fields such as quantitative logic and soft computing worldwide as follows:
(1) Quantitative Logic and Uncertainty Logic;
(2) Automata and Quantification of Software;
(3) Fuzzy Connectives and Fuzzy Reasoning;
(4) Fuzzy Logical Algebras;
(5) Artificial Intelligence and Soft Computing;
(6) Fuzzy Sets Theory and Applications. « less
Your ultimate resource for getting up and running with Python numerical computations Explore numerical computing and mathematical libraries using Python 3.x code with SciPy and NumPy modules A hands-on guide to implementing mathematics with Python, with complete coverage of all the key more » concepts
Python can be used for more than just general-purpose programming. It is a free, open source language and environment that has tremendous potential for use within the domain of scientific computing. This book presents Python in tight connection with mathematical applications and demonstrates how to use various concepts in Python for computing purposes, including examples with the latest version of Python 3. Python is an effective tool to use when coupling scientific computing and mathematics and this book will teach you how to use it for linear algebra, arrays, plotting, iterating, functions, polynomials, and much more.
What you will learn
* The principal syntactical elements of Python
* The most important and basic types in Python
* The essential building blocks of computational mathematics, linear algebra, and related Python objects
* Plot in Python using matplotlib to create high quality figures and graphics to draw and visualize your results
* Define and use functions and learn to treat them as objects
* How and when to correctly apply object-oriented programming for scientific computing in Python
* Handle exceptions, which are an important part of writing reliable and usable code
* Two aspects of testing for scientific programming: Manual and Automatic
About the Author
Claus Fuhrer is a professor of scientific computations at Lund University, Sweden. He has an extensive teaching record that includes intensive programming courses in numerical analysis and engineering mathematics across various levels in many different countries and teaching environments. Claus also develops numerical software in research « less
From Data to ROI
Although big data technologies have been available for the past ten years, they’re still undergoing rapid development. For companies just entering this field, this practical book delivers advice for every stage of the big data project development cycle. You’ll learn patterns that apply to pre-project more » preparations, setting a project’s core architecture on the right track, and a building organization culture that is agile and innovative.
Ideal for CIOs, COOs, VPs, directors, lead architects, project managers, and lead developers alike, Solutions Architecture contains three sections that address different parts of the software development lifecycle with patterns that build upon each other to maximize success throughout the life of the project.
With this book, you’ll learn how to:
* Lower overall project risk
* Shorten time to ROI
* Extend the life of architecture usefulness through good designs and flexibility
* Build a culture that produces innovation and builds up one another
* Isolate and recover from failures or requirement changes « less
Fundamentals and Principles of Computer Design
Not only does almost everyone in the civilized world use a personal computer, smartphone, and/or tablet on a daily basis to communicate with others and access information, but virtually every other modern appliance, vehicle, or other device has one or more computers embedded inside it. One cannot purchase more » a current-model automobile, for example, without several computers on board to do everything from monitoring exhaust emissions, to operating the anti-lock brakes, to telling the transmission when to shift, and so on. Appliances such as clothes washers and dryers, microwave ovens, refrigerators, etc. are almost all digitally controlled. Gaming consoles like Xbox, PlayStation, and Wii are powerful computer systems with enhanced capabilities for user interaction. Computers are everywhere, even when we don’t see them as such, and it is more important than ever for students who will soon enter the workforce to understand how they work.
This book is completely updated and revised for a one-semester upper level undergraduate course in Computer Architecture, and suitable for use in an undergraduate CS, EE, or CE curriculum at the junior or senior level. Students should have had a course(s) covering introductory topics in digital logic and computer organization. While this is not a text for a programming course, the reader should be familiar with computer programming concepts in at least one language such as C, C++, or Java. Previous courses in operating systems, assembly language, and/or systems programming would be helpful, but are not essential. « less
The Hardware Software Interface
The new ARM Edition of Computer Organization and Design features a subset of the ARMv8-A architecture, which is used to present the fundamentals of hardware technologies, assembly language, computer arithmetic, pipelining, memory hierarchies, and I/O.
With the post-PC era now upon us, Computer Organization more » and Design moves forward to explore this generational change with examples, exercises, and material highlighting the emergence of mobile computing and the Cloud. Updated content featuring tablet computers, Cloud infrastructure, and the ARM (mobile computing devices) and x86 (cloud computing) architectures is included.
An online companion Web site provides links to a free version of the DS-5 Community Edition (a free professional quality tool chain developed by ARM), as well as additional advanced content for further study, appendices, glossary, references, and recommended reading.
* Covers parallelism in depth with examples and content highlighting parallel hardware and software topics
* Features the Intel Core i7, ARM Cortex-A53, and NVIDIA Fermi GPU as real-world examples throughout the book
* Adds a new concrete example, "Going Faster," to demonstrate how understanding hardware can inspire software optimizations that improve performance by 200X
* Discusses and highlights the "Eight Great Ideas" of computer architecture: Performance via Parallelism; Performance via Pipelining; Performance via Prediction; Design for Moore's Law; Hierarchy of Memories; Abstraction to Simplify Design; Make the Common Case Fast; and Dependability via Redundancy.
* Includes a full set of updated exercises « less
Foundations, Principles and Applications
Cyber-Physical Systems: Foundations, Principles and Applications explores the core system science perspective needed to design and build complex cyber-physical systems. Using Systems Science’s underlying theories, such as probability theory, decision theory, game theory, organizational sociology, behavioral more » economics, and cognitive psychology, the book addresses foundational issues central across CPS applications, including System Design -- How to design CPS to be safe, secure, and resilient in rapidly evolving environments, System Verification -- How to develop effective metrics and methods to verify and certify large and complex CPS, Real-time Control and Adaptation -- How to achieve real-time dynamic control and behavior adaptation in a diverse environments, such as clouds and in network-challenged spaces, Manufacturing -- How to harness communication, computation, and control for developing new products, reducing product concepts to realizable designs, and producing integrated software-hardware systems at a pace far exceeding today's timeline. The book is part of the Intelligent Data-Centric Systems: Sensor-Collected Intelligence series edited by Fatos Xhafa, Technical University of Catalonia.
* Includes in-depth coverage of the latest models and theories that unify perspectives, expressing the interacting dynamics of the computational and physical components of a system in a dynamic environment
* Focuses on new design, analysis, and verification tools that embody the scientific principles of CPS and incorporate measurement, dynamics, and control
* Covers applications in numerous sectors, including agriculture, energy, transportation, building design and automation, healthcare, and manufacturing « less
Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) offer valuable applications in a wide variety of mission-critical and embedded systems applications, in disciplines including computer science, electrical and computer engineering, mechanical engineering, robotics, chemical engineering, civil engineering, nuclear engineering, more » and bio-medical engineering. This book compiles the newest CPS research and practice in one volume that will be indispensable both for software practitioners in commercial industry and defense, and for researchers and advanced students.
The only book of its kind, Cyber-Physical Systems addresses CPS from three perspectives. First, it presents the challenges and innovations associated with this class of systems as they have arisen in a wide spectrum of application domains. Second, it describes the foundations that underlie CPS solutions, both in terms of what we know and emerging research challenges. Finally, it offers offer guiding principles for all levels, from specific design and analysis advice for practitioners to high-level perspectives that can guide the direction of new innovations.
Part of the internationally respected SEI Series in Software Engineering, this book was authored and edited by three CPS pioneers, and contains chapter-length contributions from several additional experts. « less
For introductory courses in Information Systems or Management Information Systems.
Connect Essential MIS Concepts to Everyday Life
Essentials of MIS takes an in-depth look at how today's businesses use information technologies and systems to achieve corporate objectives. Current real-world business more » cases illustrate how companies have identified and ultimately solved key business challenges using information systems and technologies. Through the use of Essentials of MIS, readers will be able to participate in, and even lead, management discussions of information systems for a firm.
Part of a complete learning package that includes the core text and extensive supplemental online materials, the core book consists of twelve chapters with hands-on projects (including video case studies and instructional video packages) covering the most essential topics in MIS. The Twelfth Edition continues to be authoritative, but is now more customizable and flexible, with many of its learning tools now available in digital form.
Also Available with MyMISLabTM
This title is also available with MyMISLab, an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program designed to work with this text to engage students and improve results. Within its structured environment, students practice what they learn, test their understanding, and pursue a personalized study plan that helps them better absorb course material and understand difficult concepts.
NOTE: You are purchasing a standalone product; MyMISLab does not come packaged with this content. If you would like to purchase both the physical text and MyMISLab, search for:
0134473701 / 9780134473703 Essentials of MIS MyMISLab with Pearson eText -- Access Card Package
Package consists of:
* 0134238249 / 9780134238241 Essentials of MIS
* 0134325184 / 9780134325187 MyMISLab with Pearson eText -- Access Card -- for Essentials of MIS « less
Foundations of Quantum Programming discusses how new programming methodologies and technologies developed for current computers can be extended to exploit the unique power of quantum computers, which promise dramatic advantages in processing speed over currently available computer systems. Governments more » and industries around the globe are now investing vast amounts of money with the expectation of building practical quantum computers. Drawing upon years of experience and research in quantum computing research and using numerous examples and illustrations, Mingsheng Ying has created a very useful reference on quantum programming languages and important tools and techniques required for quantum programming, making the book a valuable resource for academics, researchers, and developers.
* Demystifies the theory of quantum programming using a step-by-step approach
* Covers the interdisciplinary nature of quantum programming by providing examples from many different fields including, engineering, computer science, medicine, and life sciences
* Includes techniques and tools to solve complex control flow patterns and synchronize computations
* Presents a coherent and self-contained treatment that will be valuable for academics and industrial researchers and developers « less