End-to-End Algorithms and Infrastructure Design from Wearable-Devices to Data Centers
This book outlines the common architectures used for deriving meaningful data from sensors. In today’s world we are surrounded by sensors collecting various types of data about us and our environments. These sensors are the primary input devices for wearable computers, IoT, and other mobile devices. more » This book provides the reader with the tools to understand how sensor data is converted into actionable knowledge and provides tips for in-depth work in this field. The information is presented in way that allows readers to associate the examples with their daily lives for better understanding of the concepts.
Making Sense of Sensors starts with an overview of the general pipeline to extract meaningful data from sensors. It then dives deeper into some commonly used sensors and algorithms designed for knowledge extraction. Practical examples and pointers to more information are used to outline the key aspects of Multimodal recognition. The book concludes with a discussion on relationship extraction, knowledge representation, and management.
What You'll Learn:
* General architecture for sensor based data understanding
* Specific examples to understand how data from common domains such as inertial, visual and audio is processed
* Multi-modal recognition using multiple heterogeneous sensors
* How to transition from recognition to knowledge through relationship understanding between entities
* Different methods and tools for knowledge representation and management
* Current state of the art in this rapidly emerging industry
Who This Book Is For
New college graduates and professionals interested in acquiring knowledge and the skills to develop innovative solutions around today's sensor-rich devices. « less
This book describes the basic principles of programming wireless Wi-Fi applications based on ESP8266-compatible boards using a MicroPython programming language. MicroPython is a lean and efficient implementation of the Python 3 and includes a small subset of the Python standard library. MicroPython is more » optimized to run on most popular microcontrollers (ATSAMD21, STM32, ESP8266, etc.) and in constrained environments.
The book contains various projects of simple wireless measurement and control systems. Each project is accompanied by a brief description which helps to make things clear. All projects described in this guide can be easily improved or modified if necessary.
All wireless applications were build and tested on the desktop PC running Linux (Ubuntu 16.04) and a NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E) board equipped with ESP8266 CPU. The source code of applications was developed in Python 3 and MicroPython. « less
This is a book about developing the software and hardware you never think about. We're talking about the nitty-gritty behind the buttons on your microwave, inside your thermostat, inside the keyboard used to type this description, and even running the monitor on which you are reading it now. Such stuff more » is termed embedded systems, and this book shows how to design and develop embedded systems at a professional level. Because yes, many people quietly make a successful career doing just that.
Building embedded systems can be both fun and intimidating. Putting together an embedded system requires skill sets from multiple engineering disciplines, from software and hardware in particular. Building Embedded Systemsis a book about helping you do things in the right way from the beginning of your first project:
Programmers who know software will learn what they need to know about hardware.
Engineers with hardware knowledge likewise will learn about the software side.
Whatever your background is, Building Embedded Systems is the perfect book to fill in any knowledge gaps and get you started in a career programming for everyday devices. Author Changyi Gu brings more than fifteen years of experience in working his way up the ladder in the field of embedded systems. He brings knowledge of numerous approaches to embedded systems design, including the System on Programmable Chips (SOPC) approach that is currently growing to dominate the field. His knowledge and experience make Building Embedded Systemsan excellent book for anyone wanting to enter the field, or even just to do some embedded programming as a side project.
What You Will Learn
Program embedded systems at the hardware level
Learn current industry practices in firmware development
Develop practical knowledge of embedded hardware options
Create tight integration between software and hardware
Practice a work flow leading to successful outcomes
Build from transistor level to the system level
Make sound choices between performance and cost
Who This Book Is For
Building Embedded Systems: Programmable Hardware is for embedded-system engineers and intermediate electronics enthusiasts who are seeking tighter integration between software and hardware. Those who favor the System on a Programmable Chip (SOPC) approach will in particular benefit from this book. Students in both Electrical Engineering and Computer Science can also benefit from this book and the real-life industry practice it provides. « less
Applying the Arm Mbed
Fast and Effective Embedded Systems Design is a fast-moving introduction to embedded systems design, applying the innovative ARM mbed and its web-based development environment. Each chapter introduces a major topic in embedded systems, and proceeds as a series of practical experiments, adopting a "learning more » through doing" strategy. Minimal background knowledge is needed to start. C/C++ programming is applied, with a step-by-step approach which allows you to get coding quickly. Once the basics are covered, the book progresses to some "hot" embedded issues - intelligent instrumentation, wireless and networked systems, digital audio and digital signal processing. In this new edition all examples and peripheral devices are updated to use the most recent libraries and peripheral devices, with increased technical depth, and introduction of the "mbed enabled" concept.
Written by two experts in the field, this book reflects on the experimental results, develops and matches theory to practice, evaluates the strengths and weaknesses of the technology and techniques introduced, and considers applications in a wider context.
New Chapters on:
Bluetooth and ZigBee communication
Internet communication and control, setting the scene for the Internet of Things
Digital Audio, with high-fidelity applications and use of the I2S bus
Power supply, and very low power applications
The development process of moving from prototyping to small-scale or mass manufacture, with a commercial case study.
Updates all examples and peripheral devices to use the most recent libraries and peripheral products
Includes examples with touch screen displays and includes high definition audio input/output with the I2S interface
Covers the development process of moving from prototyping to small-scale or mass manufacture with commercial case studies
Covers hot embedded issues such as intelligent instrumentation, networked systems, closed loop control, and digital signal processing « less
Using Web Technologies to Build Connected Devices
* Prototype IoT devices with the Tessel 2 development platform
* Learn about electronic input and output components, including sensors
* Connect microcontrollers to the Internet with the Particle Photon toolchain
* Run Node.js on single-board computers such as Raspberry Pi and Intel Edison
* Talk to embedded devices with Node.js libraries such as Johnny-Five, and remotely control the devices with Bluetooth
* Use MQTT as a message broker to connect devices across networks
* Explore ways to use robots as building blocks for shared experiences « less
Getting Started With Python
Learn To Use Raspberry Pi 3 Kit & Also Learn to Program Python in 24 Hours!This guide book will ensure you are equipped with the complete know-how of programming the Raspberry Pi 3. Get started with learning Python right away. What You’ll Learn From This Book? Introduction - Embedded Systems & The Raspberry more » Pi Moving Toward A Smarter Internet – The Internet Of Things Understanding The Raspberry Pi Versions & Features Understanding The Raspberry Pi 3 The Raspberry Pi 3 – Hardware Setup Operating Systems Required For Raspberry Pi 3 NOOBS for Raspberry Pi 3 Connecting The Raspberry Pi 3 Starting And Programming Raspberry Pi 3 General Purpose Input Output (GPIO) Understanding And Accessing Python 3 Learn Python In Detail Python – Features Setting Up The Environment Identifiers Variables Whitespaces Comments Strings Types Of Operations Data Types Flow Of Control/Decision Making Loops In Python Functions Modules File Handling Exception Handling Classes In Python Tips For Python Beginners Understanding And Accessing Mathematica Programming In Mathematica Accessing Camera In Raspberry Pi 3 Raspberry Pi 3 – Getting Ahead With IOT Conclusion - Sculpting Your Career In IOT Use this book to get ahead in the world of Internet Of Things! Elevate your skill levels in using and programming the Raspberry Pi 3! « less
Enter the world of Arduino and its peripherals and start creating interesting projects
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Meet Arduino and its main components and understand how they work to use them in your real-world projects
* Assemble circuits using the most common electronic devices such as LEDs, switches, optocouplers, motors, and photocells and connect them to Arduino
* A Precise step-by-step more » guide to apply basic Arduino programming techniques in the C language
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
If you are a hobbyist who wants to develop projects based on Arduino as the main microcontroller platform or an engineer interested in finding out what the Arduino platform offers, then this book is ideal for you. Some prior knowledge of the C programming language is required.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Select the correct Arduino board to meet the prerequisites of your project
* Set up a working Arduino development environment and get to grips with all of its inner workings
* Work with digital and analog outputs to act on external devices
* Sense your environment in a digital or analog way by using different types of sensors such as potentiometers, photocells, or thermistors
* Develop time-based projects that will manage the time in a precise manner
* Make your project interact with other devices via serial communications
* Use interrupts to deal with unexpected events
* Get familiar with a complete real-world project that summarizes all the concepts learned throughout the book
The Arduino is an open source microcontroller built on a single circuit board that is capable of receiving sensory input from its environment and controlling interactive physical objects. It is also a development environment that allows you to write software to the board, and is programmed in the Arduino programming language. The Arduino has become the most popular microcontroller platform and thus hundreds of projects are being developed using it, from basic to advanced levels.
This book will first introduce you to the most important board models of the Arduino family. You will then learn to set up the Arduino software environment. Next, you will work with digital and analog inputs and outputs, manage the time precisely, establish serial communications with other devices in your projects, and even control interrupts to make your project more responsive. Finally, you will be presented with a complete real-world example by utilizing all the concepts learned so far in the book. This will enable you to develop your own microcontroller projects. « less
Harness the power of the BeagleBone Black to manage external environments using C, Bash, and Python/PHP programming
***** About This Book *****
* Learn the fundamentals of Beaglebone Black via a detailed tutorial that provides practical examples, from initial board setup to device driver management
* Access external peripherals to monitor and control an electronic device
* Monitor and control several electronic more » devices with one of the best embedded computers
***** Who This Book Is For *****
If you are a developer with some hardware or electrical engineering experience who wants to learn how to use embedded machine-learning capabilities and get access to a GNU/Linux device driver to collect data from a peripheral or to control a device, this is the book for you.
***** What You Will Learn *****
* Set up and install a Debian operating system for your BeagleBone Black
* Get access to the serial console to manage the BeagleBone Black's bootloader and kernel
* Discover the pros and cons of native versus cross-compiling C applications
* Compile the Linux kernel from scratch and add custom device drivers
* Ascertain how a system daemon works and how high-level languages can interact with it
* Work with electronic components to build a small circuit
* Develop applications that interact with your circuits connected with the system's GPIOs, serial/USB ports, and I2C/SPI/1-Wire busses
* Use RFID LF readers, temperature sensors, barcode readers, ADC/DAC, and other peripherals to monitor and control your surroundings
***** In Detail *****
The BeagleBone Black is an embedded system that is able to run complete GNU/Linux distributions such as Debian or Ubuntu. Having powerful distribution capabilities, and packed with an easily expandable embedded board, the BeagleBone Black is a device that will allow users to build powerful and versatile monitoring and controlling systems.
You start off by learning how to set up the board from scratch; you will be introduced to the concepts of compilation and cross-compilation of user-space and kernel-space applications with some basic debugging techniques. Next, you will move on to high-level programming by using scripting languages; you'll then learn how to get access to different kinds of peripherals such as serial ports, USB devices, I2C/SPI, and 1-Wire. Finally, you will discover how to use or develop system daemons in several programming languages, collect peripheral data, and control a device. Accessing all peripherals and writing good monitoring and controlling programs can be a complex task; it's all too easy to make mistakes early in development that lead to serious problems in production. This guide is an invaluable tutorial if you are planning to use a BeagleBone Black to control or monitor projects. « less
Development Best Practices for the Internet of Things
Embedded Firmware Solutions is the perfect introduction and daily-use field guide--for the thousands of firmware designers, hardware engineers, architects, managers, and developers--to Intel’s new firmware direction (including Quark coverage), showing how to integrate Intel® Architecture designs into more » their plans.
Featuring hands-on examples and exercises using Open Source codebases, like Coreboot and EFI Development Kit (tianocore) and Chromebook, this is the first book that combines a timely and thorough overview of firmware solutions for the rapidly evolving embedded ecosystem with in-depth coverage of requirements and optimization.
**** What you’ll learn ****
* Understand the key differences between PC and embedded ecosystems in terms of firmware needs.
* Thorough underpinning of Intel’s firmware solutions.
* How to build a firmware stack for Quark.
* How to integrate FSP with a bootloader, by studying the hands-on example of Coreboot and UEFI.
* How to make a smart "build-it or buy-it" decision when starting a new embedded project.
**** Who this book is for ****
Firmware designers and engineers, hardware engineers, software architects, and product development managers.
**** Table of Contents ****
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Firmware Stacks for Embedded
Chapter 3: Intel® Firmware Support Package (Intel FSP)
Chapter 4: Building Coreboot with Intel FSP
Chapter 5: Chromebook Firmware Internals
Chapter 6: Intel FSP and UEFI Integration
Chapter 7: Building Firmware for Quark Processors
Chapter 8: Putting it all together
Appendix A: Sample of Boot Setting File (BSF) « less
Over 70 hands-on recipes for professional embedded Linux developers to optimize and boost their Yocto know-how
If you are an embedded developer learning about embedded Linux with some experience with the Yocto project, this book is the ideal way to become proficient and broaden your knowledge with examples that are immediately applicable to your embedded developments. Experienced embedded Yocto developers will more » find new insight into working methodologies and ARM specific development competence. « less