* Use Swift 3 and latest iOS 10 features to build awesome apps for iPhone and iPad
* Explore and use a wide range of Apple development tools to become a confident iOS developer
* From prototype to App Store―find out how to build an app from start to finish!
You want more » to build iOS applications for iPhone and iPad―but where do you start? Forget sifting through tutorials and blog posts, this is a direct route into iOS development, taking you through the basics and showing you how to put the principles into practice. With every update, iOS has become more and more developer-friendly, so take advantage of it and begin building applications that might just take the App Store by storm!
Whether you're an experienced programmer or a complete novice, this book guides you through every facet of iOS development. From Xcode and Swift―the building blocks of modern Apple development―and Playgrounds for beginners, one of the most popular features of the iOS development experience, you'll quickly gain a solid foundation to begin venturing deeper into your development journey. For the experienced programmer, jump right in and learn the latest iOS 10 features.
You'll also learn the core elements of iOS design, from tables to tab bars, as well as more advanced topics such as gestures and animations that can give your app the edge. Find out how to manage databases, as well as integrating standard elements such as photos, GPS into your app. With further guidance on beta testing with TestFlight, you'll quickly learn everything you need to get your project on the App Store!
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Get to grips with Swift 3 and Xcode, the building blocks of Apple development
* Get to know the fundamentals of Swift, including variables, constants, and control flow
* Discover the distinctive design principles that define the iOS user experience
* See how to prototype your app with Swift's Playgrounds feature
* Build a responsive UI that looks great on a range of devices
* Find out how to use CoreLocation to add location services to your app
* Add push notifications to your app
* Make your app able to be used on both iPhone and iPad
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Craig Clayton is a self-taught, Senior iOS Engineer at Adept Mobile, which specializes in building mobile experiences primarily for NBA and NFL teams. He also volunteers as the organizer of the Suncoast iOS meetup group in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area, and prepares presentations and hands-on talks for the group as well as for other groups in the community.
He has worked with both adults and kids who wish to start learning how to program, or those who aspire to become iOS developers. On top of all that, starting in 2017 Craig has plans to launch Cocoa Academy online, which will specialize in bringing a diverse list of iOS courses. The courses will range from building apps to games for all programming levels.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Getting Familiar with Xcode
2. Building a Foundation with Swift
3. Digging Deeper
4. Digging into Collections
5. Starting the UI Setup
6. Setting Up UI
7. Getting Started with the Grid
8. Getting Started with the List
9. Working More with Lists
10. Where Are We?
11. Where's My Data?
12. Foodie Reviews
13. Saving Reviews
17. Just a Peek
18. Beta and Store Submission « less
Updated for Xcode 8, Swift 3, and iOS 10,iOS Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guideleads you through the essential concepts, tools, and techniques for developing iOS applications. After completing this book, you will have the know-how and the confidence you need to tackle iOS projects of your own. Based more » on Big Nerd Ranch's popular iOS training and its well-tested materials and methodology, this bestselling guide teaches iOS concepts and coding in tandem. The result is instruction that is relevant and useful. Throughout the book, the authors explain what's important and share their insights into the larger context of the iOS platform. You get a real understanding of how iOS development works, the many features that are available, and when and where to apply what you've learned. « less
Successfully Distribute Apps
Cover every aspect of the app industry, from app idea generation through to marketing and performance monitoring. With this book you'll receive complete, reliable, up-to-date, and professional information and guidance.
Learn iOS App Distributionis every developers thorough and accessible guide to more » successfully distributing apps. For readers who already know how to code and create apps, this book explains how the app industry works, how it is evolving, and what the key trends are.
Rather than focus on the well-covered aspects of working with Swift and Xcode,you'll instead discover what it takes from a commercial standpoint to bring an app together and get it successfully out to customers. All the key technical aspects are simplified for you with non-technical backgrounds, and vast amounts of information are condensed into easy-to-understand visuals.
What You'll Learn
* Review how the app industry nuances and how it works
* Analyze app statistics and key market trends
* Position an app appropriately within the industry
* Improve app performance and related products and services
Who This Book Is For
App designers, UI/UX design professionals, coders, app marketers, game designers, asset designers and app publishing companies.The book is also suitable for inventors and non-tech readers unfamiliar with the industry but interested in investing in apps « less
* Children can express their creativity while learning through interactive Swift Playgrounds
* Empower children to think critically about problems
* Learning programming basics can help children gain confidence in problem solving
* Help children put their imagination into action building more » their first iOS app
This book starts at the beginning by introducing programming through easy to use examples with the Swift Playgrounds app. Kids are regularly encouraged to explore and play with new concepts to support knowledge acquisition and retention – these newly learned skills can then be used to express their own unique ideas. Children will be shown how to create their first iOS application and build their very own movie night application.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Basic programming and coding fundamentals
* Write code using the fun and interactive Swift Playgrounds app
* Make animations, including creating your own starry night
* Utilise functions by making pizza in code
* Create an interactive toy bin
* Learn how to use control flow statements to further enhance your toy bin
* Build a simple movie night app working with tableviews and arrays
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Since Swift was announced at WWDC, Steffen D. Sommer has had a passionate interest in the programming language. He's currently working as a lead Vapor developer at a company called Nodes in Copenhagen, where he focuses on developing backend systems using Swift.
In his spare time, he helps organize the local iOS meet up, visits iOS conferences around the world, and explores the different aspects of and use cases for Swift, such as putting Swift on the server and doing functional programming in Swift. You can also find him contributing to open source projects on GitHub or blogging on his personal website.
Jim Campagno is an iOS developer and teacher living in New York City. He's currently working as an iOS instructor at the Flatiron School, helping beginners of Swift and iOS become iOS developers.
Jim has a deep desire and high level of creativity that he brings to teaching. He created the Swift online course offered at Flatiron School, which includes in-depth readings along with test-driven labs, challenging the student to write code in Swift. Jim also runs an active YouTube channel, putting out in-depth content and helping students understand everything in iOS and Swift—from the basics to complex topics.
Most importantly, Jim ensures that the content he creates is accessible, fun, and interactive. He enjoys putting together a story behind every topic to make it more enjoyable for the reader.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. What is Programming?
2. Getting Set Up
3. Say Hello
4. Favorite Things
6. Making Pizza
7. Toy Bin
8. Smarter Toy Bin
9. Making Some Friends
10. Pokemon Battle
11. Simon Says
12. Starry Night
13. Space Pizza Delivery
14. Movie Night - iOS App « less
A Problem-Solution Approach
App Development Recipes for iOS and watchOS explores the technical side of app development with tips and tricks to avoid those little things that become big frustrations, outside of the realm of development, causing many people to throw up their hands and say “It’s just not worth the hassle!”
The more » experiential nature of this work sets it apart from other iOS and watchOS books. Even if you are a developer who is completely new to Swift, iOS or watchOS, you’ll find the right experienced-based answers to important questions like “Why do I need version control?”, “Why is testing so important?” and more specific problems directly related to iOS and watchOS development with Swift. We discover and summarize the most common problems and derive the solutions; not just a short answer and screenshot, but a systematic, logical derivation, that is, how we got to the solution.
After the introductory basics, each chapter delivers a problem statement and a solution. The experienced developer may, without losing anything, skip to whatever problem with which they are currently dealing. At the same time, we guide the less experienced developer through the process with focus on solving problems along the way.
What you will learn:
* iOS career options for the new developer
* Working with Source Code and Version Control
* How to work with iOS accessory devices
* Understanding development methodologies such as Agile/Scrum
* User Experience Development and UI Tools
* Unit, UI, and Beta Testing
* Publishing your work
Who this book is for:
Developers who need to find specific solutions to common problems in developing apps for iOS and watchOS. « less
Build real-world applications for the Apple Watch platform using the WatchKit framework and Swift 2.0
***** About This Book *****
* Find out how to download and install the Xcode development tools before learning about Xcode playgrounds and the Swift programming language
* Discover everything you need to know about the WatchKit platform architecture, its classes, as well its limitations
* This book more » introduces you to the very latest mobile platform with hands-on instructions so you can build your very own Apple Watch apps
***** Who This Book Is For *****
This book is for developers who are interested in creating amazing apps for the Apple Watch platform. Readers are expected to have no prior experience of programming.
***** What You Will Learn *****
* Navigate within the WatchKit interface using the page-based, modal, and hierarchical navigation techniques
* Work with context menus to allow your users to interact with the Apple Watch and respond to their actions to perform a task
* Use the MapKit framework to display a map within the WatchKit interface to track the user's current location
* Build effective user interfaces for the WatchKit platform and integrate iCloud capabilities to synchronize data between the iOS app and the WatchKit UI
* Design your apps for the Apple Watch platform by adhering to the set of User Interface design guidelines set out by Apple
* Reinforce image caching to display animations within the Apple Watch user interface
* Explore WatchKit tables, which allow your users to purchase groceries and pay for them using Apple Pay
* Analyze the new layout system to ensure that your Apple Watch apps work with various screen sizes
***** In Detail *****
Wearable are the next wave of mobile technology and with the release of Apple's WatchKit SDK, a whole new world of exciting development possibilities has opened up.
Apple Watch App Development introduces you to the architecture and possibilities of the Apple Watch platform, as well as an in-depth look at how to work with Xcode playgrounds. Benefit from a rapid introduction to the Swift programming language so you can quickly begin developing apps with the WatchKit framework and the Xcode Development IDE. Get to grips with advanced topics such as notifications, glances, iCloud, Apple pay, closures, tuples, protocols, delegates, concurrency, and using Swift Playgrounds, with each concept is backed up with example code that demonstrates how to properly execute it. Finally, discover how to package and deploy your Watch application to the Apple AppStore.
By the end of this book, you will have a good understanding of how to develop apps for the Apple Watch platform, and synchronize data using iCloud between the wearable and the iOS device.
***** Style and approach *****
This book takes a step-by-step approach to developing applications for the Apple Watch using the Swift programming language and the WatchKit UI. Each topic is explained in a conversational and easy-to-follow style. « less
Exploring the iOS SDK
Assuming little or no working knowledge of the Swift programming language, and written in a friendly, easy-to-follow style, this book offers a comprehensive course in iPhone and iPad programming. The book starts with the basics, walking through the process of downloading and installing Xcode and the more » iOS 10 SDK, and then guides you though the creation of your first simple application.
In this third edition of the best selling book, you’ll learn how to integrate all the interface elements iOS users have come to know and love, such as buttons, switches, pickers, toolbars, and sliders. You’ll master a variety of design patterns, from the simplest single view to complex hierarchical drill-downs. The art of table building will be demystified, and you’ll learn how to save your data using the iOS file system. You’ll also learn how to save and retrieve your data using a variety of persistence techniques, including Core Data and SQLite. And there’s much more!
Beginning iPhone Development with Swift 3 covers brand-new technologies, as well as significant updates to existing tools. You'll have everything you need to create your very own apps for the latest iOS devices. Every single sample app in the book has been rebuilt from scratch using the latest Xcode and the latest iOS 10-specific project templates, and designed to take advantage of the latest Xcode features.
Everything you need to know to develop your own bestselling iPhone and iPad apps Utilizing Swift playgrounds Best practices for optimizing your code and delivering great user experiences
- What data persistence is, and why it’s important
- Get started with building cool, crisp user interfaces
- How to display data in Table Views
- How to draw to the screen using Core Graphics
- How to use iOS sensor capabilities to map your world
- How to get your app to work with iCloud and more
Who This Book is For:
Anyone who wants to start developing for iPhone and iPad. « less
Create Native watchOS Apps with the WatchKit SDK
You've got a great idea for an Apple Watch app. But how do you get your app from idea to wrist? This book shows you how to make native watchOS apps for Apple's most personal device yet. You'll learn how to display beautiful interfaces to the user, how to use the watch's heart rate monitor and other hardware more » features, and the best way to keep everything in sync across your users' devices. New in this edition is coverage of native apps for watchOS 2. With the new version of the WatchKit SDK in Xcode 7, your apps run directly on the watch.
On Apple Watch, your app is right on your users' wrists, making your code closer than ever before. Create native watchOS apps by extending your iPhone app with a WatchKit Extension, giving your users quick access to your app's most important features and an intimate user experience that's always within arm's reach.
You won't just be creating apps - with Glances to provide timely information, notifications to inform your users of the latest updates, and watch face complications to show your users data as soon as they raise their wrists, your watchOS apps will be the best the App Store has to offer.
Any book can teach you how to make a watch app. This book will help focus your efforts and refine your app's feature set. Which features make sense on the watch? How should you organize them? You'll learn what to consider when judging watch app features, allowing you to come up with the best strategy for your app. You'll test your apps on real Apple Watch hardware, and by the end of this book, you'll be ready to ship to the App Store.
What You Need:
You'll need a Mac running OS X Yosemite capable of running Xcode 7 or later. To build your apps for your Apple Watch, you'll need to be running watchOS 2 or later, connected to a compatible iPhone. « less
Optimize your code for better apps
Now that more people spend more time interacting with mobile apps than with their desktop counterparts, you need to think about your iOS app’s performance the moment you write your first line of code. This practical hands-on guide shows you how.
Through specific and concise tips for designing and more » optimizing your apps, author Gaurav Vaish provides solutions to many common performance scenarios, including reusable code that you can put to work right away. Ideal for experienced iOS developers, this book focuses on native iOS apps, rather than mobile web apps or hybrid apps. « less