jQuery is often injected into web applications and libraries without any real thought, seemingly out of habit or fear. Many web developers don't seem to know exactly when they need to use jQuery, and when they don't - it has become a standard step for many when setting up a new library or web application. But relying solely on jQuery as your window to the web leaves large gaps in your knowledge. This in turn results in frustration when the abstraction that jQuery provides "leaks" and exposes you to the native aspects of the browser.
Check out the comprehensive web application at github.com/Beyond-jQuery/exercise which was developed for "Beyond jQuery" readers that covers many of the concepts discussed in this book. « less
Learn the best practices on writing efficient jQuery applications to maximize performance in large-scale deployments
* Learn about the observer pattern and the deferred observer pattern, two of the most popular design patterns that handle custom events
* Advance your jQuery skills by learning about patterns such as divide and conquer, facade, and builder and factory to handle complex results
* This more » step-by-step guide to applying micro-patterns and optimizing jQuery applications will help you get the best performance in a production environment
jQuery solves the problems of DOM manipulation, event detection, AJAX calls, element selection and document queries, element attribute and data management, as well as object management utilities. This book addresses these problems and shows you how to make the best of jQuery through the various design patterns available.
The book starts off with a refresher to jQuery and will then take you through the different design patterns such as facade, observer, publisher/subscriber, and so on. We will also go into client-side templating techniques and libraries, as well as some plugin development patterns. Finally, we will look into some best practices that you can use to make the best of jQuery.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Respond to user actions
* Achieve greater flexibility and code decoupling
* Have a central point for emitting and receiving application level events
* Structure the application into small independent modules
* Abstract complex APIs
* Isolate the procedure of generating complex parts of the application
* Efficiently orchestrate asynchronous procedures using jQuery Deferred and Promises
* Utilize the most widely-used client-side templating libraries for more complex use cases
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Thodoris Greasidis is a senior web engineer from Greece. He graduated with honors from the University of Thessaly, holds a polytechnic diploma in computer, networking, and communications engineering, and a master's degree in computer science. He is a full-stack developer, responsible for implementing large-scale web applications with intuitive interfaces and high-availability web services.
Thodoris is part of the Angular-UI team and has made many open source contributions, with a special interest in Mozilla projects. He is also an active member of the Athens AngularJS Meetup and a technical reviewer of Mastering jQuery UI, Packt Publishing.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. A Refresher on jQuery and the Composite Pattern
2. The Observer Pattern
3. The Publish/Subscribe Pattern
4. Divide and Conquer with the Module Pattern
5. The Facade Pattern
6. The Builder and Factory Patterns
7. Asynchronous Control Flow Patterns
8. Mock Object Pattern
9. Client-side Templating
10. Plugin and Widget Development Patterns
11. Optimization Patterns « less
Create fully responsive and versatile real-world apps for smartphones with jQuery Mobile 1.4.5
jQuery Mobile is a mobile-centric web framework developed by the jQuery team. The project focuses on building a framework compatible with the ever-increasing variety of smartphones and tablet computers on the market. The jQuery Mobile framework plays well with other frameworks and platforms, such as more » PhoneGap and Backbone.
Automate repetitive tasks easily and painlessly with the Grunt task runner, build a fully responsive, gorgeous photography website, and learn how to mix and match jQuery Mobile 1.4.5 into existing websites and how to deploy those changes to content management systems such as WordPress, Drupal, and HarpJS. jQuery Mobile aims to reach everyone, and so does this book. It will enhance your mobile knowledge and help you to create versatile, unique sites quickly and easily. « less
About the Technology
About the Book
jQuery in Action, Third Edition, is a fast-paced guide to jQuery, focused on the tasks you'll face in nearly any web dev project. In it, you'll learn how to traverse the DOM, handle events, perform animations, write jQuery plugins, perform Ajax requests, and even unit test your code. Its unique Lab Pages anchor each concept in real-world code. This expanded Third Edition adds new chapters that teach you how to interact with other tools and frameworks and build modern single-page web applications.
* Updated for jQuery 3
* DOM manipulation and event handling
* Animations and effects
* Advanced topics including Unit Testing and Promises
* Practical examples and labs
About the Readers
About the Authors
Table of Contents
1. PART 1 STARTING WITH JQUERY
2. Introducing jQuery
3. PART 2 CORE JQUERY
4. Selecting elements
5. Operating on a jQuery collection
6. Working with properties, attributes, and data
7. Bringing pages to life with jQuery
8. Events are where it happens!
9. Demo: DVD discs locator
10. Energizing pages with animations and effects
11. Beyond the DOM with jQuery utility functions
12. Talk to the server with Ajax 260
13. Demo: an Ajax-powered contact form
14. PART 3 ADVANCED TOPICS
15. When jQuery is not enough...plugins to the rescue!
16. Avoiding the callback hell with Deferred
17. Unit testing with QUnit
18. How jQuery fits into large projects « less
Elevate your development skills by leveraging every available ounce of jQuery
***** About This Book *****
* Create and decouple custom event types to efficiently use them and suit your users' needs
* Incorporate custom, optimized versions of the jQuery library into your pages to maximize the efficiency of your website
* Get the most out of jQuery by gaining exposure to real-world more » examples with tricks and tips to enhance your skills
***** Who This Book Is For *****
***** What You Will Learn *****
* Learn how to better organize your code, using one of the many design patterns available for the library
* Develop your skills further in some of the core jQuery subjects, such as event handling, using AJAX, and animating elements
* Develop your skills within technologies where you might not consider using jQuery, such as the Page Visibility API or using node-webKit
* Explore some of the more advanced tips and tricks for optimizing jQuery to maintain performance
* Learn how to improve your development workflow when testing jQuery to help reduce the manual effort needed to produce results
* Automate testing using NodeJS and RequireJS
***** In Detail *****
Mastering jQuery has been written not only to help maximize your skills with core functionality in the library, but also to explore some of the more intriguing ways of using the library to achieve real-world solutions that could feature on any website or online environment.
You'll start with a look at some of the more advanced ways to incorporate the library into your pages, followed by working with forms and advanced form validation using regular expressions. Next you'll move on to animating in jQuery, advanced event handling, and using jQuery effects.
Finally, you will develop practical examples of using jQuery with external functionality such as node-webkit, before finishing with a session on optimizing your version of the library for maximum efficiency and exploring best practices for using QUnit. « less
Become an expert in creating real-world Rich Internet Applications using the varied components of jQuery UI
Mastering jQuery UI will help you explore the depths of the jQuery UI more » library. Right from the first chapter, you will build your own projects while learning the intricacies of the library. Each chapter explores a new topic and covers some related components. By gaining confidence from the initial chapters you will proceed ahead to create complex applications like the Tabbed News reader utilizing the AJAX and Reddit APIs. As a bonus, you will also learn about the best and most proven practices earned through years of diligent work on the jQuery UI platform.
Each chapter is an independent mini project in itself covering different components from jQuery UI. You won't have to wait long to actually build something functional. « less
Using this book, you will learn how to use jQuery’s powerful DOM manipulation tools to dynamically update content on your site. You will be able to extend jQuery’s capabilities by writing your own plugins on top of the framework, animate elements, build your own jQuery elements, employ best practices, and avoid common errors. Practical jQuery teaches you how, with jQuery, you can unit test and refactor your code. You’ll see how expressive yet concise jQuery’s code is and how much quicker and efficient it is to develop with jQuery.
Get a fundamental perspective on how jQuery works, how to understand, select, and build your own plug-ins, and how to make sure your projects run at the peak of their potential performance using Practical jQuerytoday.
**** What you’ll learn ****
• Use jQuery’s powerful manipulation tools to dynamically update your website’s content.
• Animate content and build your own image slider with jQuery’s animation tools.
• Extend the library by writing your own custom plugins.
• Use plugins created by others in the community and integrate them into your website.
• Refactor and test DOM manipulation using QUnit.
**** Who this book is for ****
**** Table of Contents ****
1. Evolution of jQuery
2. Getting Started with jQuery
3. Traversing DOM with jQuery
4. DOM Manipulation with jQuery
5. Events in jQuery
6. Real World Events in jQuery
7. Animation in jQuery
8. Ajax with jQuery
9. Creating Plug-ins with jQuery
10. Integrating Plug-ins with jQuery
11. Using jQuery Frameworks
12. Testing jQuery with QUnit « less
Building on your existing SQL skills, this book teaches you how to apply useful jQuery techniques to applications developed using the Oracle Application Express (APEX) development tool.
Pro jQuery in Oracle Application Express covers the fundamentals you need to start enhancing your applications, more » with some practical examples that you'll want in your own applications tomorrow. jQuery is a framework already utilized by APEX, and by learning the basics of jQuery you can leverage the flexible dynamic actions provide and see your applications raise the bar. Discover why you should embrace HTML5, CSS, and jQuery library capabilities, and how they can enhance the user experience.
Oracle Application Express is a mature, browser-based, rapid-development environment with a strong community base around the #orclapex tag. jQuery is a language for the browser, with it you can treat your web page as if it were a database, interacting with a range of features and functions that can make you into a more constructive, more efficient developer.
* Exemplifies how productive APEX, CSS, and jQuery can be
* Transforms your PL/SQL skills to CSS and jQuery
* Provides jQuery snippets to enhance your application UX « less
Newly revised and updated resource on jQuery's many features and advantages.
This full-color book will show you how to make your websites more interactive and your interfaces more interesting and intuitive.
THIS BOOK COVERS:
1. Basic programming concepts - assuming no prior knowledge of programming beyond an ability to create a web page using HTML & CSS
4. How to recreate techniques you will have seen on other web sites such as sliders, content filters, form validation, updating content using Ajax, and much more (these examples demonstrate writing your own scripts from scratch and how the theory you have learned is put into practice).
As with our first book (the best-selling HTML & CSS: Design and Build Websites), each chapter:
* Breaks subjects down into bite-sized chunks with a new topic on each page
* Contains clear descriptions of syntax, each one demonstrated with inspiring code samples
* Uses diagrams and photography to explain complex concepts in a visual way
If you're looking to create more enriching web experiences, then this is the book for you. « less