This book teaches you design patterns in PHP and Laravel using real-world examples and plenty of humor. Too often design patterns are explained using tricky concepts, when in fact they are easy to use and can enrich your everyday development.Design Patterns in PHP and Laravelaims to break down tricky more » concepts into humorous and easy-to-recall details, so that you can begin using design patterns easily in your everyday work with PHP and Laravel.
You will learn each of the original gang of four design patterns, and how they are relevant to modern PHP and Laravel development. Each pattern is covered with full examples of how it can be used. Written by a working developer who uses these patterns every day, you will easily be able to implement each pattern into your workflow and improve your development.
What You Will Learn
* How to use the original gang of four design patterns in your PHP and Laravel development
* How each pattern should be used
* How to solve problems when using the patterns
* How to remember each pattern using mnemonics
Who This Book Is For
The person who will buy this book is likely using Laravel and PHP to do their job. They want to improve their understanding of design patterns. « less
* Develop an interesting multiplayer browser game written in RxJS and re-implement it using RxPHP
* Enhance existing reactive applications by building a CLI tool combining Symfony Console
* Implement Gearman and Rabbit MQ for asynchronous communication
Reactive Programming more » helps us write code that is concise, clear, and readable. Combining the power of reactive programming and PHP, one of the most widely used languages, will enable you to create web applications more pragmatically.
PHP Reactive Programming will teach you the benefits of reactive programming via real-world examples with a hands-on approach. You will create multiple projects showing RxPHP in action alone and in combination with other libraries.
The book starts with a brief introduction to reactive programming , clearly explaining the importance of building reactive applications. You will use the RxPHP library, built a reddit CLI using it, and also re-implement the Symfony3 Event Dispatcher with RxPHP. You will learn how to test your RxPHP code by writing unit tests. Moving on to more interesting aspects, you will implement a web socket backend by developing a browser game. You will learn to implement quite complex reactive systems while avoiding pitfalls such as circular dependencies by moving the RxJS logic from the frontend to the backend. The book will then focus on writing extendable RxPHP code by developing a code testing tool and also cover Using RxPHP on both the server and client side of the application. With a concluding chapter on reactive programming practices in other languages, this book will serve as a complete guide for you to start writing reactive applications in PHP.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* How to work with the RxPHP library and see what it offers via many examples
* Use the RxPHP library in combination with Symfony Console
* The different approaches to using Symfony3's Event Dispatcher component
* Test your reactive PHP code using PHPUnit
* Analyze PHP source code and apply a custom set of rules by building a CLI tool « less
Application Development Strategies for Performance Optimization, Concurrency, Testability, and Code Brevity
Bring the power of functional programming to your PHP applications. From performance optimizations to concurrency, improved testability to code brevity, functional programming has a host of benefits when compared to traditional imperative programming.
Part one of Pro Functional PHP Programming takes more » you through the basics of functional programming, outlining the key concepts and how they translate into standard PHP functions and code. Part two takes this theory and shows you the strategies for implementing it to solve real problems in your new or existing PHP applications.
Functional programming is popular in languages such as Lisp, Scheme and Clojure, but PHP also contains all you need to write functional code. This book will show you how to take advantage of functional programming in your own projects, utilizing the PHP programming language that you already know.
What You'll Learn
* Discover functional programming in PHP
* Work with functional programming functions
* Design strategies for high-performance applications
* Manage business logic with functions
* Use functional programming in object-oriented and procedural applications
* Employ helper libraries in your application
* Process big data with functional PHP
Who This Book Is For
Programmers and web developers with experience of PHP who are looking to get more out of their PHP coding and be able to do more with PHP. « less
A Gentle Introduction to the Web's Most Popular Language
If you want to get started with PHP, this book is essential. Author David Sklar (PHP Cookbook) guides you through aspects of the language you need to build dynamic server-side websites. By exploring features of PHP 5.x and the exciting enhancements in the latest release, PHP 7, you’ll learn how to work more » with web servers, browsers, databases, and web services. End-of-chapter exercises help you make the lessons stick.
Whether you’re a hobbyist looking to build dynamic websites, a frontend developer ready to add server-side programs, or an experienced programmer who wants to get up to speed with this language, this gentle introduction also covers aspects of modern PHP, such as internationalization, using PHP from the command line, and package management.
* Learn how PHP interacts with browsers and servers
* Understand data types, variables, logic, looping, and other language basics
* Explore how to use arrays, functions, and objects
* Build and validate web forms
* Work with databases and session management
* Access APIs to interact with web services and other websites
* Jumpstart your project with popular PHP web application frameworks « less
* Set up the PHP environment and get started with web programming
* Leverage the potential of PHP for server-side programming, memory management, and object-oriented programming (OOP)
* This book is packed with real-life examples to help you implement the concepts as you learn
BOOK more » DESCRIPTION
PHP is a great language for building web applications. It is essentially a server-side scripting language that is also used for general purpose programming. PHP 7 is the latest version with a host of new features, and it provides major backwards-compatibility breaks.
This book begins with the fundamentals of PHP programming by covering the basic concepts such as variables, functions, class, and objects. You will set up PHP server on your machine and learn to read and write procedural PHP code. After getting an understanding of OOP as a paradigm, you will execute MySQL queries on your database. Moving on, you will find out how to use MVC to create applications from scratch and add tests. Then, you will build REST APIs and perform behavioral tests on your applications.
By the end of the book, you will have the skills required to read and write files, debug, test, and work with MySQL.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Set up a server on your machine with PHP
* Use PHP syntax with the built-in server to create apps
* Apply the OOP paradigm to PHP to write richer code
* Use MySQL to manage data in your web applications
* Create a web application from scratch using MVC
* Add tests to your web application and write testable code
* Use an existing PHP framework to build and manage your applications
* Build REST APIs for your PHP applications
* Test the behavior of web applications with Behat
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Antonio Lopez is a software engineer with more than 7 years of experience. He has worked with PHP since university, which was 10 years ago, building small personal projects. Later, Antonio started his journey around Europe, working in Barcelona, London, Dublin, and back in Barcelona. He has worked in a number of different areas, from web applications to REST APIs and internal tools. Antonio likes to spend his spare time on personal projects and start-ups and has a strong vocation in education and teaching.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Setting Up the Environment
2. Web Applications with PHP
3. Understanding PHP Basics
4. Creating Clean Code with OOP
5. Using Databases
6. Adapting to MVC
7. Testing Web Applications
8. Using Existing PHP Frameworks
9. Building REST APIs
10. Behavioral Testing « less
Improve the performance of your PHP application to ensure the application users aren't left waiting
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Make the optimum use of PHP coding to improve your programming productivity
* Leverage the potential of PHP for server-side programming, memory management, and object-oriented programming
* Packed with real-life examples to help the readers implement concepts as they learn
WHO more » THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is for those who have basic experience in PHP programming. If you are developing performance-critical applications, then this book is for you.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Setup high performance development and production environment for PHP 7
* Discover new OOP features in PHP 7 to achieve high performance
* Improve your PHP applications' performance
* Attain improved database performance
* Benchmark PHP applications to optimize them
* Write quality code by learning to improve code reusability, simplicity, and expressiveness
* Get rid of the bottlenecks in your PHP 7 applications by writing PHP code optimally
* Tackle issues related to web applications, such as high user dependency and large datasets
PHP is a great language for building web applications. It is essentially a server-side scripting language that is also used for general-purpose programming. PHP 7 is the latest version, providing major backward-compatibility breaks and focusing on high performance and speed.
This fast-paced introduction to PHP 7 will improve your productivity and coding skills. The concepts covered will allow you, as a PHP programmer, to improve the performance standards of your applications. We will introduce you to the new features in PHP 7 and then will run through the concepts of object-oriented programming (OOP) in PHP 7. Next, we will shed some light on how to improve your PHP 7 applications' performance and database performance. Through this book, you will be able to improve the performance of your programs using the various benchmarking tools discussed.
At the end, the book discusses some best practices in PHP programming to help you improve the quality of your code.
STYLE AND APPROACH
The book is a step-by-step guide to improve the quality of your code in PHP through real-time examples. The book takes a practical approach to improving the quality of your code. « less
Learn how to exploit the impressive power of PHP 7 with this collection of practical project blueprints – begin building better applications for the web today!
* Don't just learn PHP 7 – follow a diverse range of practical knowledge to get started quickly
* Take advantage of PHP 7's newest features – and find out how to use them to solve real development challenges
* Put PHP to work for performance and scalability – we'll show you how, you more » do it!
When it comes to modern web development, performance is everything. The latest version of PHP has been improvised and updated to make it easier to build for performance, improved engine execution, better memory usage, and a new and extended set of tools. If you're a web developer, what's not to love? This guide will show you how to make full use of PHP 7 with a range of practical projects that will not only teach you the principles, but also show you how to put them into practice. It will push and extend your skills, helping you to become a more confident and fluent PHP developer.
You'll find out how to build a social newsletter service, a simple blog with a search capability using Elasticsearch, as well as a chat application. We'll also show you how to create a RESTful web service, a database class to manage a shopping cart on an e-commerce site and how to build an asynchronous microservice architecture.
With further guidance on using reactive extensions in PHP, we're sure that you'll find everything you need to take full advantage of PHP 7. So dive in now!
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Build versatile projects using the newest features PHP 7 has to offer
* Learn how to use PHP 7's event-driven asynchronous features
* Find out how to improve the performance of your code with effective techniques and design patterns
* Get to grips with backend development and find out how to optimize session handling
* Learn how to use the PHP 7 Abstract Syntax Tree to improve the quality of your code and make it more maintainable
* Find out how to build a RESTful web service
* Build your own asynchronous microservice
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Jose Palala has been working professionally with PHP for at least 8 years. He has experience working with PHP frameworks such as Eden PHP, CodeIgniter, Laravel and Zend.
He has worked for Philippine-based IT companies for at least 8 years, working on projects ranging from internal corporate systems and CMS websites. In his spare time, he regularly contributes back to the tech community in the Philippines.
Martin Helmich holds a Master's degree in Computer Science from the University of Applied Sciences in Osnabruck. He works as a software architect and specializes in building distributed applications using web technologies and Microservice Architectures. Besides programming in Go, PHP, Python and Node.JS, he also builds infrastructures using configuration management tools like SaltStack and container technologies like Docker.
He is an open source enthusiast and likes to make fun of people who are not using Linux. In his free time, you'll probably find him coding on one of his open source pet projects, listening to music or reading science-fiction literature.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Create a User Profile System and use the Null Coalesce Operator
2. Build a Database Class and Simple Shopping Cart
3. Building a Social Newsletter Service
4. Build a Simple Blog with Search Capability using Elasticsearch
5. Creating a RESTful Web Service
6. Building a Chat Application
7. Building an Asynchronous Microservice Architecture
8. Building a Parser and Interpreter for a Custom Language
9. Reactive Extensions in PHP « less
Over 80 recipes that will take your PHP 7 web development skills to the next level!
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* This is the most up-to-date book in the market on PHP
* It covers the new features of version 7.x, best practices for server-side programming, and MVC frameworks
* The recipe-based approach will allow you to explore the unique capabilities that PHP offers to web programmers
WHO more » THIS BOOK IS FOR
If you are an aspiring web developer, mobile developer, or backend programmer, then this book is for you as it will take your PHP programming skills to next level. Basic knowledge of PHP programming is assumed.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Use advanced PHP 7 features, such as the Abstract Syntax Tree, Uniform Variable Syntax, Scalar Type Hints, Generator Delegation, Anonymous Classes, and the Context Sensitive Lexer
* Discover where and when PHP 5 code needs to be re-written to avoid backwards-compatibility breaks
* Improve the overall application security and error handling by taking advantage of classes that implement the new throwable interface
* Solve practical real-world programming problems using PHP 7
* Develop middle-wareclasses that allow PHP developers to gluedifferent open source libraries together seamlessly
* Define and Implement PSR-7 classes
* Create custom middleware using PSR-7 compliant classes
* Test and debug your code, and get to know the best practices
PHP 7 comes with a myriad of new features and great tools to optimize your code and make your code perform faster than in previous versions. Most importantly, it allows you to maintain high traffic on your websites with low-cost hardware and servers through a multithreading web server.
This book demonstrates intermediate to advanced PHP techniques with a focus on PHP 7. Each recipe is designed to solve practical, real-world problems faced by PHP developers like yourself every day. We also cover new ways of writing PHP code made possible only in version 7. In addition, we discuss backward-compatibility breaks and give you plenty of guidance on when and where PHP 5 code needs to be changed to produce the correct results when running under PHP 7. This book also incorporates the latest PHP 7.x features.
By the end of the book, you will be equipped with the tools and skills required to deliver efficient applications for your websites and enterprises.
STYLE AND APPROACH
This book takes a recipe-based approach, with real-world examples that can serve as building blocks for a larger application. Each recipe is self-contained with no external dependencies. This book follows a problem-solution strategy so you understand how to deal with various scenarios you may encounter while using PHP 7 in your daily activities. « less
This pocket reference guide has been updated with the new PHP 7.0 release. It is a condensed, code-rich scripting and syntax handbook for the PHP scripting language. PHP 7 Quick Scripting Referencepresents the essential PHP script in a well-organized format.
You won’t find any technical jargon, bloated more » samples, drawn out history lessons or witty stories in this book. What you will find is a Web scripting language reference that is concise, to the point and highly accessible. The book is packed with useful information and is a must-have for any PHP programmer or Web developer.
In it, you will find a concise reference to the PHP 7 scripting language syntax. It includes short, simple and focused code examples and a well laid out table of contents and a comprehensive index allowing easy review.
What you’ll learn
* What is new in PHP 7 and how to get started with it
* What are variables, operators, strings, arrays, conditionals, loops and other language constructs
* How to group and reuse code with functions, methods and namespaces
* How to use object-oriented features such as classes, inheritance, abstract classes and interfaces
* How to import files and retrieve user data
* What are type declarations and type conversions
* How to test variables, create references and use overloading methods
* How to store user data with cookies and sessions
* How to deal with errors through error handling, exception handling and assertions
Who this book is for
This book is a handy, pocket quick scripting syntax reference for experienced PHP as well as perhaps other programmers and Web developers even new to PHP. « less
Use new features of PHP 7 to solve practical, real- world problems faced by PHP developers like yourself every day.
PHP is a great language for developing web applications. It is essentially a server-side scripting language. PHP 7 is the latest version, providing major backward-compatibility breaks and focusing on improved performance and speed.
This course follows a learning path which is divided into three modules. more » Each module is a mini course in its own right, taking your basic PHP programing skills to the next level by showing you intermediate to advanced PHP techniques with a focus on PHP 7. This way, get you equipped with the tools and skills required to develop professional and efficient applications for your websites and enterprises.
The first module of the book is a programming cookbook that consists over 80 recipes! Each recipe is designed to solve practical, real-world problems faced by PHP developers like yourself every day. This course also covers new ways of writing PHP code made possible only in version 7.
The second module of the course is designed to improve the performance and productivity of your application. We’ll introduce you to the concepts of Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) in PHP 7, then shed some light on how to improve the performance of your PHP 7 applications and database. Throughout this module you will be introduced to benchmarking tools.
With all important concepts of PHP covered up you will move on to third module. In this module you will gain a deep insight into the modular programming paradigm and how to achieve modularity in your PHP code. Modular design techniques help you build readable, manageable, reusable, and more efficient codes. PHP 7, which is a popular open source scripting language, is used to build modular functions for your software. « less