This book shows you how to use PowerShell to quickly pinpoint, diagnose, and solve problems with your Windows Server environment, reducing the need for external tools, and ensuring you stay up-to-date with PowerShell as it quickly becomes one of the most useful tools in an administrator’s toolkit.
Authors more » Derek Schauland and Donald Jacobs take you through a range of examples, showing you how to gather information from different computer sources. Whether you are logged into the server locally or just wanting to check the status of a server from your local computer, the right PowerShell cmdlets can give you a lot of information quickly, and allow you to troubleshoot your servers from the command line with little interaction with the server's desktop.
In this book, you'll learn how PowerShell can help you:
* Understand PowerShell versus the GUI
* Gather information from Windows event logs
* Gather information from your server, including memory, hardware configurations, and disk space available
* Find out what applications are installed on a server
* Find out which Windows updates have been installed on your computer
* Check the processes running on your computer and gather information about them, or start and stop them from the command line
* Quickly check if services are running, and stop or start them as needed
Who This Book Is For
Windows Administrators, IT Professionals and support personnel needing ways to quickly find and troubleshoot issues in their environment using the included tools. Those entering IT or wishing to develop their PowerShell skil
ls will also benefit from this book. « less
Learn the fundamentals of PowerShell to build reusable scripts and functions to automate administrative tasks with Windows
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Harness the capabilities of the PowerShell system to get started quickly with server automation
* Learn to package commands into a reusable script and add control structures and parameters to make them flexible
* Get to grips with cmdlets that allow you to perform administration more » tasks efficiently
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is intended for Windows administrators or DevOps users who need to use PowerShell to automate tasks. Whether you know nothing about PowerShell or know just enough to get by, this guide will give you what you need to go to take your scripting to the next level.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Learn to verify your installed version of PowerShell, upgrade it, and start a PowerShell session using the ISE
* Discover PowerShell commands and cmdlets and understand PowerShell formatting
* Use the PowerShell help system to understand what particular cmdlets do
* Utilise the pipeline to perform typical data manipulation
* Package your code in scripts, functions, and modules
* Solve common problems using basic file input/output functions
* Find system information with WMI and CIM
* Automate IIS functionality and manage it using the WebAdministration module
Windows PowerShell is a task-based command-line shell and scripting language designed specifically for system administration. Built on the .NET Framework, Windows PowerShell helps IT professionals and power users control and automate the administration of the Windows operating system and applications that run on Windows.
PowerShell is great for batch importing or deleting large sets of user accounts and will let you collect a massive amount of detailed system information in bulk via WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation).
Getting Started with PowerShell is designed to help you get up and running with PowerShell, taking you from the basics of installation, to writing scripts and web server automation. This book, as an introduction to the central topics of PowerShell, covers finding and understanding PowerShell commands and packaging code for reusability, right through to a practical example of automating IIS. It also includes topics such as installation and setup, creating scripts, automating tasks, and using Powershell to access data stores, registry, and file systems.
You will explore the PowerShell environment and discover how to use cmdlets, functions, and scripts to automate Windows systems. Along the way, you will learn to perform data manipulation and solve common problems using basic file input/output functions.
By the end of this book, you will be familiar with PowerShell and be able to utilize the lessons learned from the book to automate your servers.
STYLE AND APPROACH
A practical learning guide, complete with plenty of activities, examples and screenshots. « less
Master the art of automating and managing your Windows environment using PowerShell
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Construct scripts by following proven best practices to automate redundant tasks
* Delve into real-world examples to understand how to simplify the management of your Windows environment
* Get to grips with PowerShell's advanced functions and effectively administer your system
WHO more » THIS BOOK IS FOR
If you are a system administrator who wants to become an expert in controlling and automating your Windows environment, then this book is for you. Prior knowledge of PowerShell's core elements and applications is required for this book.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Utilize variables, hashes, and arrays to store data
* Parse and manipulate different data types
* Optimize code through the use of functions, switches, and looping structures
* Create and implement regular expressions in PowerShell scripts
* Leverage session-based remote management
* Manage files, folders, and registries through the use of PowerShell
* Discover the best practices to manage Microsoft systems
PowerShell is quickly becoming the de facto standard for scripting in Microsoft Windows environments. It enables the automation of otherwise complex tasks, providing interactivity between different products.
Beginning with PowerShell fundamentals, this book progresses by imparting the advanced skills required to master automation. You will learn how to deal with data and operations on various data types and structures, and see the techniques of data manipulation and parsing. Moving on, you will learn about the usage of regular expressions and comparison operators. Error handling techniques will enable you to identify and eliminate errors. This book also provides best practices for scripting and techniques to reduce the amount of code required to complete tasks.
By the end of this book, you will be able to create a variety of PowerShell scripts and successfully automate your environment and become the go-to person. « less
Efficiently administer, automate, and manage System Center environments using Windows PowerShell
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Create powerful automation scripts for System Center products using PowerShell
* Discover PowerShell techniques to efficiently handle SCCM, SCOM, and SCSM with real-time examples and sample codes
* A step-by-step guide with practical examples and best practices that teaches you to more » effectively use PowerShell in System Center environment.
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
If you are a Microsoft System Center administrator who manages System Center environments and utilizes the console for management, then this book is ideal for you. This book is also for System Center users who now want to learn to manage systems using PowerShell.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Set up an environment to effectively use PowerShell for SCCM, SCOM, and SCSM
* Understand the advanced usage of all the available cmdlets with real-time examples
* Administer and maintain a System Center environment with PowerShell
* Create both simple and advanced functions for different cmdlets with PowerShell
* Get an insight into real-time System Center applications that you can automate using PowerShell
* Get to grips with scenario-based scripting for efficient System Center administration and maintenance
* Discover PowerShell tricks and best practices
Microsoft PowerShell as a scripting language has been growing strongly over the last couple of years. It has given administrators and IT professionals much more control when managing and implementing tasks within System Center environments. System Center facilitates the configuring, monitoring, and managing of the components of a private cloud. It covers products such as SCCM, SCOM, SCSM, SCVMM, and so on.
Starting with an introduction to PowerShell, this quick reference guide will enable you to get the most out of the latest Microsoft PowerShell techniques to manage the suite of System Center products. You will also get acquainted with the enhancements in the latest version of System Center automation with real-time examples.
By the end of this book, you will have the confidence to create a variety of PowerShell scripts and efficiently administer and maintain your System Center environment with PowerShell. « less
A Windows admin using PowerShell every day may not have the time to search the net every time he or she hits a snag. Wouldn't it be great to have a team of seasoned PowerShell experts ready to answer even the toughest questions? That's what you get with this book.
PowerShell in Depth, 2nd Edition more » is the go-to reference for administrators working with Windows PowerShell. Every major technique, technology, and tactic is carefully explained and demonstrated, providing a hands-on guide to almost everything an admin would do in the shell. Written by PowerShell MVPs Don Jones, Jeffrey Hicks, and Richard Siddaway, each valuable technique was developed and thoroughly tested, so you'll be able to consistently write production-quality, maintainable scripts while saving hours of time and effort.
This book assumes you know the basics of PowerShell. « less
DevOps for the AWS Cloud
Pro PowerShell for Amazon Web Services is written specifically for Windows professionals who already know PowerShell and want to learn to host Windows workloads in the Amazon Elastic Cloud Compute (EC2) cloud service. The cloud offers information technology workers significant cost savings and agility more » unimaginable even just a few years ago. Tasks that traditionally took weeks of work, costing thousands of dollars, can be completed in minutes for a fraction of a penny.
This book is a resource for using Microsoft's powerful scripting language, PowerShell, to create, host, manage, and administer workloads using a service widely recognized as the industry leader in cloud computing. Inside, find scripts to create and manage virtual machines, provision storage, configure networks with agility, and more--all using your preferred Windows scripting language. « less
The world of technology is growing faster than ever, and the business needs are getting more complex every day. With PowerShell in your toolbox, you have an object-based scripting language, task-based shell, along with a powerful automation engine. PowerShell is built on top of .NET framework which gives more » an edge over the other tools when it comes to integration and automation of Microsoft product and technologies.
Packed with a set of real world scenarios and detailed scripts that will help you get started with PowerShell, this practical guide will help you to understand the syntax and grammar, build your scripts and modules, and integrate them with different technologies and tools. PowerShell is built on top of .NET framework, which gives an edge over other tools when it comes to integration and automation of Microsoft products and technologies. « less
Automate system administration using Windows PowerShell best practicesâand optimize your operational efficiency. With this practical guide, Windows PowerShell expert and instructor Ed Wilson delivers field-tested tips, real-world examples, and candid advice culled from administrators across a range more » of business and technical scenarios. If you're an IT professional with Windows PowerShell experience, this book is ideal. « less
Desired State Configuration (DSC) is a powerful new configuration management platform that makes it easier than ever to perform cross-platform configuration management of your infrastructure, whether on-premise or in the cloud. DSC provides the management platform and Application Programming Interface more » (API) that can be used with any programming language. Windows PowerShell Desired State Configuration Revealed will take you through this new technology from start to finish and demonstrates the DSC interfaces through Windows PowerShell.
Windows PowerShell Desired State Configuration Revealed is your one-stop guide to this new technology and how it can change your working life for the better. « less
A fast-paced PowerShell guide with real-world scenarios and detailed solutions
Technology's growing rhythm is running faster than before, and business needs are getting more complex every day. So, it is time to learn something new to help conquer the challenge. With PowerShell in your toolbox, you can easily perform many tasks with less time, effort, and cost. PowerShell is a helpful more » scripting technology that enables the automation of system management tasks and the creation of system management tools.
PowerShell 3.0 Advanced Administration Handbook comes with a set of real-world scenarios and detailed scripts that will help you get started with PowerShell, learn what PowerShell is, how to write the syntax, and build your scripts, and how to use and integrate PowerShell with different technologies, products, and tools. « less