Master the intricacies of Elasticsearch 5 and use it to create flexible and scalable search Solutions
About This Book
Master the searching, indexing, and aggregation features in ElasticSearch Improve users’ search experience with Elasticsearch’s functionalities and develop your own Elasticsearch plugins A comprehensive, step-by-step guide to master the intricacies of ElasticSearch with ease Who This more » Book Is For If you have some prior working experience with Elasticsearch and want to take your knowledge to the next level, this book will be the perfect resource for you.If you are a developer who wants to implement scalable search solutions with Elasticsearch, this book will also help you. Some basic knowledge of the query DSL and data indexing is required to make the best use of this book.
What You Will Learn
* Understand Apache Lucene and Elasticsearch 5’s design and architecture
* Use and configure the new and improved default text scoring mechanism in Apache Lucene 6
* Know how to overcome the pitfalls while handling relational data in Elasticsearch
* Learn about choosing the right queries according to the use cases and master the scripting module including new default scripting language, painlessly
* Explore the right way of scaling production clusters to improve the performance of Elasticsearch
* Master the searching, indexing, and aggregation features in Elasticsearch
* Develop your own Elasticsearch plugins to extend the functionalities of Elasticsearch
Elasticsearch is a modern, fast, distributed, scalable, fault tolerant, and open source search and analytics engine. Elasticsearch leverages the capabilities of Apache Lucene, and provides a new level of control over how you can index and search even huge sets of data. This book will give you a brief recap of the basics and also introduce you to the new features of Elasticsearch 5. We will guide you through the intermediate and advanced functionalities of « less
Total Information Awareness
From Google search to self-driving cars to human longevity, is Alphabet creating a neoteric Garden of Eden or Bentham's Panopticon? Will King Solomon's challenge supersede the Turing test for artificial intelligence? Can transhumanism mitigate existential threats to humankind? These are some of the overarching more » questions in this book, which explores the impact of information awareness on humanity starting from the Book of Genesis to the Royal Library of Alexandria in the 3rd century BC to the modern day of Google Search, IBM Watson, and Wolfram|Alpha.
The book also covers Search Engine Optimization, Google AdWords, Google Maps, Google Local Search, and what every business leader must know about digital transformation. "Search is curiosity, and that will never be done," said Google's first female engineer and Yahoo's sixth CEO Marissa Mayer.
The truth is out there; we just need to know how to Google it! « less
*** Key Features ***
* Understand common performance and reliability pitfalls in ElasticSearch
* Use popular monitoring tools such as ElasticSearch-head, BigDesk, Marvel, Kibana, and more
* This is a step-by-step guide with lots of case studies on solving real-world ElasticSearch cluster issues
*** more » Book Description ***
ElasticSearch is a distributed search server similar to Apache Solr with a focus on large datasets, a schema-less setup, and high availability. This schema-free architecture allows ElasticSearch to index and search unstructured content, making it perfectly suited for both small projects and large big data warehouses with petabytes of unstructured data.
This book is your toolkit to teach you how to keep your cluster in good health, and show you how to diagnose and treat unexpected issues along the way. You will start by getting introduced to ElasticSearch, and look at some common performance issues that pop up when using the system. You will then see how to install and configure ElasticSearch and the ElasticSearch monitoring plugins. Then, you will proceed to install and use the Marvel dashboard to monitor ElasticSearch. You will find out how to troubleshoot some of the common performance and reliability issues that come up when using ElasticSearch. Finally, you will analyze your cluster’s historical performance, and get to know how to get to the bottom of and recover from system failures.
This book will guide you through several monitoring tools, and utilizes real-world cases and dilemmas faced when using ElasticSearch, showing you how to solve them simply, quickly, and cleanly.
*** What you will learn ***
* Explore your cluster with ElasticSearch-head and BigDesk
* Access the underlying data of the ElasticSearch monitoring plugins using the ElasticSearch API
* Analyze your cluster’s performance with Marvel
* Troubleshoot some of the common performance and reliability issues that come up when using ElasticSearch
* Analyze a cluster’s historical performance, and get to the bottom of and recover from system failures
* Use and install various other tools and plugins such as Kibana and Kopf, which is helpful to monitor ElasticSearch
*** About the Author ***
Dan Noble is a software engineer with a passion for writing secure, clean, and articulate code. He enjoys working with a variety of programming languages and software frameworks, particularly Python, Elasticsearch, and frontend technologies. Dan currently works on geospatial web applications and data processing systems.
Dan has been a user and advocate of Elasticsearch since 2011. He has given talks about Elasticsearch at various meetup groups, and is the author of the Python Elasticsearch client rawes. Dan was also a technical reviewer for the Elasticsearch Cookbook, Second Edition, by Alberto Paro.
*** Table of Contents ***
1. Introduction to Monitoring Elasticsearch
2. Installation and the Requirements for Elasticsearch
3. Elasticsearch-head and Bigdesk
4. Marvel Dashboard
5. System Monitoring
6. Troubleshooting Performance and Reliability Issues
7. Node Failure and Post-Mortem Analysis
8. Looking Forward « less
With applications for Solr and Elasticsearch
Relevant Search demystifies relevance work. Using Elasticsearch, it teaches you how to return engaging search results to your users, helping you understand and leverage the internals of Lucene-based search engines.
About the Technology
Users are accustomed to and expect instant, relevant more » search results. To achieve this, you must master the search engine. Yet for many developers, relevance ranking is mysterious or confusing.
About the Book
Relevant Search demystifies the subject and shows you that a search engine is a programmable relevance framework. You'll learn how to apply Elasticsearch or Solr to your business's unique ranking problems. The book demonstrates how to program relevance and how to incorporate secondary data sources, taxonomies, text analytics, and personalization. In practice, a relevance framework requires softer skills as well, such as collaborating with stakeholders to discover the right relevance requirements for your business. By the end, you'll be able to achieve a virtuous cycle of provable, measurable relevance improvements over a search product's lifetime.
* Techniques for debugging relevance?
* Applying search engine features to real problems?
* Using the user interface to guide searchers?
* A systematic approach to relevance?
* A business culture focused on improving search
About the Reader
For developers trying to build smarter search with Elasticsearch or Solr.
About the Authors
Doug Turnbull is lead relevance consultant at OpenSource Connections, where he frequently speaks and blogs. John Berryman is a data engineer at Eventbrite, where he specializes in recommendations and search.
Foreword author, Trey Grainger, is a director of engineering at CareerBuilder and author of Solr in Action.
Table of Contents
1. The search relevance problem
2. Search under the hood
3. Debugging your first relevance problem
4. Taming tokens
5. Basic multifield search
6. Term-centric search
7. Shaping the relevance function
8. Providing relevance feedback
9. Designing a relevance-focused search application
10. The relevance-centered enterprise
11. Semantic and personalized search « less
If you are a developer who wants to learn how to get the most out of Solr in your applications, whether you are new to the field of search or have used Solr but don t know everything or simply want a good reference, this book is ideal for you. It would be helpful to have some familiarity with basic programming more » concepts, but no prior experience is required. « less
Leverage the power of Apache Solr to create efficient search applications
Search is everywhere. Users always expect a search facility in mobile or web applications that allows them to find things in a fast and friendly manner.
Apache Solr Essentials is a fast-paced guide to help you quickly learn the process of creating a scalable, efficient, and powerful search application. more » The book starts off by explaining the fundamentals of Solr and then goes on to cover various topics such as data indexing, ways of extending Solr, client APIs and their indexing and data searching capabilities, an introduction to the administration, monitoring, and tuning of a Solr instance, as well as the concepts of sharding and replication. Next, you'll learn about various Solr extensions and how to contribute to the Solr community. By the end of this book, you will be able to create excellent search applications with the help of Solr. « less
Leverage the power of Apache Solr to power up your business by navigating your users to their data quickly and efficiently
Apache Solr is an open source search platform built on a Java library called Lucene. It serves as a search platform for many websites, as it has the capability of indexing and searching multiple websites to fetch desired results.
We begin with a brief introduction of analyzers and tokenizers to understand more » the challenges associated with implementing large-scale indexing and multilingual search functionality. We then move on to working with custom queries and understanding how filters work internally. While doing so, we also create our own query language or Solr plugin that does proximity searches. Furthermore, we discuss how Solr can be used for real-time analytics and tackle problems faced during its implementation in e-commerce search. We then dive deep into the spatial features such as indexing strategies and search/filtering strategies for a spatial search. We also do an in-depth analysis of problems faced in an ad serving platform and how Solr can be used to solve these problems. « less
A practical project-based guide to generating compelling search solutions using the dynamic and powerful features of Elasticsearch
***** About This Book *****
* Discover the power of Elasticsearch by implementing it in a variety of real-world scenarios such as restaurant and e-commerce search
* Discover how the features you see in an average Google search can be achieved using Elasticsearch
* Learn how to not only generate more » accurate search results, but also improve the quality of searches for relevant results
***** Who This Book Is For *****
If you are a data enthusiast and would like to explore and specialize on search technologies based on Elasticsearch, this is the right book for you. A compelling case-to-case mapping of features and implementation of Elasticsearch to solve many real-world use cases makes this book the right choice to start and specialize on Elasticsearch.
***** What You Will Learn *****
* Build a simple scalable server for effective searching in Elasticsearch
* Design a scalable e-commerce search solution to generate accurate search results using various filters such as filters based on date range and price range
* Improve the relevancy and scoring of your searches
* Manage real-world, complex data using various techniques, including parent-child search and searching questions based on the criteria of questions and answers
* Use the excellent data crunching and aggregation capability of Elasticsearch to analyze your data
* Generate real-time visualizations of your data using compelling visualization techniques, such as time graphs, pie charts, and stacked graphs
* Enhance the quality of your search and widen the scope of matches using various analyzer techniques, such as lower casing, stemming, and synonym matching
***** In Detail *****
Elasticsearch is a distributed search server similar to Apache Solr with a focus on large datasets, schemaless setup, and high availability. Utilizing the Apache Lucene library (also used in Apache Solr), Elasticsearch enables powerful full-text search, as well as autocomplete "morelikethis" search, multilingual functionality, and an extensive search query DSL.
This book starts with the creation of a Google-like web search service, enabling you to generate your own search results. You will then learn how an e-commerce website can be built using Elasticsearch. We will discuss various approaches in getting relevant content up the results, such as relevancy based on how well a query matched the text, time-based recent documents, geographically nearer items, and other frequently used approaches.
Finally, the book will cover various geocapabilities of Elasticsearch to make your searches similar to real-world scenarios. « less
Over 130 advanced recipes to search, analyze, deploy, manage, and monitor data effectively with ElasticSearch
This book will guide you through the complete ElasticSearch ecosystem. From choosing the correct transport layer and communicating with the server to creating and customizing internal actions, you will develop an in-depth knowledge of the implementation of the ElasticSearch architecture.
After creating more » complex queries and analytics, mapping, aggregation, and scripting, you will master the integration of ElasticSearch's functionality in user-facing applications and take your knowledge one-step further by building custom plugins, developing tailored mapping, executing powerful analytics, and integrating with Python and Java applications. « less
A distributed real-time search and analytics engine
Whether you need full-text search or real-time analytics of structured data - or both - the Elasticsearch distributed search engine is an ideal way to put your data to work. This practical guide not only shows you how to search, analyze, and explore data with Elasticsearch, but also helps you deal with more » the complexities of human language, geolocation, and relationships.
If you're a newcomer to both search and distributed systems, you'll quickly learn how to integrate Elasticsearch into your application. More experienced users will pick up lots of advanced techniques. Throughout the book, you'll follow a problem-based approach to learn why, when, and how to use Elasticsearch features. « less