Akka in Action is a comprehensive tutorial on building message-oriented systems using Akka. The book takes a hands-on approach, where each new concept is followed by an example that shows you how it works, how to implement the code, and how to (unit) test it.
About the Technology
Akka more » makes it relatively easy to build applications in the cloud or on devices with many cores that efficiently use the full capacity of the computing power available. It's a toolkit that provides an actor programming model, a runtime, and required support tools for building scalable applications.
About the Book
Akka in Action shows you how to build message-oriented systems with Akka. This comprehensive, hands-on tutorial introduces each concept with a working example. You'll start with the big picture of how Akka works, and then quickly build and deploy a fully functional REST service out of actors. You'll explore test-driven development and deploying and scaling fault-tolerant systems. After mastering the basics, you'll discover how to model immutable messages, implement domain models, and apply techniques like event sourcing and CQRS. You'l also find a tutorial on building streaming applications using akka-stream and akka-http. Finally, you'l get practical advice on how to customize and extend your Akka system.
* Getting concurrency right
* Testing and performance tuning
* Clustered and cloud-based applications
* Covers Akka version 2.4
About the Reader
This book assumes that you're comfortable with Java and Scala. No prior experience with Akka required.
About the Authors
A software craftsman and architect, Raymond Roestenburg is an Akka committer. Rob Bakker specializes in concurrent back-end systems and systems integration. Rob Williams has more than 20 years of product development experience.
Table of Contents
1. Introducing Akka
2. Up and running
3. Test-driven development with actors
4. Fault tolerance
6. Your first distributed Akka app
7. Configuration, logging, and deployment
8. Structural patterns for actors
9. Routing messages
10. Message channels
11. Finite-state machines and agents
12. System integration
15. Actor persistence
16. Performance tips
17. Looking ahead « less
Remember when service-oriented architecture (SOA) was all the rage? Companies jumped in before fully understanding SOA’s advantages and disadvantages, and struggled to make this complex architecture work. Today, we’re poised to repeat this same experience with microservices—only this time we’re prepared. more » With this concise ebook, author Mark Richards walks you through the ten most common microservice anti-patterns and pitfalls, and provides solutions for avoiding them.
What’s the difference between anti-patterns and pitfalls? An anti-pattern seems like a good idea when you begin, but only leads you into trouble, while pitfalls are bad ideas from the start. Learn how to avert the most flagrant anti-patterns and pitfalls before you tussle with microservice granularity, data migration, and distributed processing.
- Data-Driven Migration Anti-Pattern
- Timeout Anti-Pattern
- "I Was Taught to Share" Anti-Pattern
- Reach-in Reporting Anti-Pattern
- Grains of Sand Pitfall
- Developer Without a Cause Pitfall
- Jump On The Bandwagon Pitfall
- Static Contract Pitfall
- Are We There Yet Pitfall
- Give it a Rest Pitfall « less
A guide to everything an Oracle SOA Suite 12c administrator needs to hit the ground running
***** About This Book *****
* Understand core administrative tasks such as deployments, purging, startup and shutdown, configuration, and backup and recovery
* Manage, monitor, and troubleshoot SOA composites and OSB services
* Follow step-by-step instructions to easily and quickly install a highly more » available two-node cluster
***** Who This Book Is For *****
With topic areas ranging from the simple to the complex, this book is intended for novice, mid-level, and experienced administrators of the Oracle SOA Suite 12c platform as well as Oracle WebLogic Server and Oracle Database administrators interested in diving into the product.
***** What You Will Learn *****
* Navigate Oracle Enterprise Manager Fusion Middleware Control
* Monitor and manage the Oracle SOA Suite 12 c infrastructure
* Deploy and promote code
* Monitor and manage services
* Configure and administer the environment
* Manage the dehydration store and enterprise scheduler service
* Troubleshoot Oracle SOA Suite 12c infrastructure
* Set up backups, recovery, and high availability
***** In Detail *****
Oracle SOA Suite 12 c is the most comprehensive and integrated infrastructure on the market today that is used for building applications based on service-oriented architecture. With the vast number of features and capabilities that Oracle SOA Suite 12c has to offer comes numerous complexities and challenges for administration. Oracle SOA Suite 12c Administrator's Guide covers all the core areas of administration needed for you to effectively manage and monitor the Oracle SOA Suite environment and its transactions, from deployments, to monitoring, to performance tuning, and much, much more.
Manage, monitor, and troubleshoot SOA composites and OSB services from a single product set. Understand core administrative activities such as deployments, purging, startup and shutdown, configuration, backup, and recovery. Also learn about new features such as Oracle Enterprise Scheduler, lazy loading, work manager groups, high availability, and more.
***** Style and approach *****
Presented in a reference guide format where chapters can be read in any sequence, this book explains the core concepts while providing real-world implementation specifics, detailing the what, why, and how of all the administration-related activities that involve Oracle SOA Suite 12c. We take a step-by-step approach and offers tips, instructions, and examples that you can easily follow and execute. « less
Design and Build Maintainable Service-Oriented Systems
Programming WCF Services is the authoritative, bestselling guide to Microsoft’s unified platform for developing modern, service-oriented applications on Windows. Hailed as the definitive treatment of WCF, this guide provides unique insight, rather than documentation, to help you learn the topics and more » skills you need for building maintainable, extensible, and reusable WCF-based applications.
Authors Juval Löwy—one of the world’s top .NET experts—and Michael Montgomery have revised this edition to include the productivity-enhancing features of .NET Framework 4.6, along with the latest WCF ideas and techniques. By teaching you the why and the how of WCF programming, this book will help you master WCF and make you a better software engineer.
* Learn WCF’s architecture and essential building blocks, including key concepts such as reliability and transport sessions
* Use built-in features such as service contracts, instance and concurrency management, transactions, queued services, and security
* Increase the quality of your WCF services by using design options, tips, and best practices in Löwy’s ServiceModelEx framework
* Understand the rationale behind particular design decisions, and rarely understood aspects of WCF development
* Learn why Azure Service Fabric is the killer app for modern DevOps « less
A Concise Introduction to Service Technology & Service-Orientation
The Concise Introduction to Modern SOA: High-Value Approaches, Innovative Technologies, Proven Use Cases
After a decade of innovation in technology and practice, SOA is now a mainstream computing discipline, capable of transforming IT enterprises and optimizing business automation. In Next Generation more » SOA, top-selling SOA author Thomas Erl and a team of experts present a plain-English tour of SOA, service-orientation, and the key service technologies being used to build sophisticated contemporary service-oriented solutions.
The starting point for today’s IT professionals, this concise guide distills the increasingly growing and diverse field of service-oriented architecture and the real-world practice of building powerful service-driven systems. Accessible and jargon-free, this book intentionally avoids technical details to provide easy-to-understand, introductory coverage of the following topics:
* Services, service-orientation, and service-oriented computing: what they are and how they have evolved
* How SOA and service-orientation change businesses and transform IT culture, priorities, and technology decisions
* How services are defined and composed to solve a wide spectrum of business problems
* Deep implications of the service-orientation paradigm--illuminated through an annotation of the classic SOA Manifesto
* Traditional and contemporary service technologies and architectures
* How clouds and virtualization support the scalability and reliability of services-based solutions
* SOA-based industry models, from enterprise service to global trader
* A detailed case study: how real enterprises bring together contemporary SOA practices, models, and technologies
Next Generation SOA will be indispensable to wide audiences of business decision makers and technologists--including architects, developers, managers, executives, strategists, consultants, and researchers. « less
Full of illustrations, diagrams, and tips with clear step-by-step instructions and real time examples to develop Industry Sample BPM Process and BPM interaction with SOA Components. Dive into lessons on Fault ,Performance and Rum Time Management. Explore User Interaction ,Deployment and Monitoring. Dive more » into BPM Process Implementation as process developer while conglomerating BPMN elements. « less
Create a reliable, secure, and flexible environment for your Oracle SOA Suite 11g Service Infrastructure and SOA composite applications
Oracle SOA Suite 11g is the backbone of messaging and application integration in a service-oriented architecture. An application administrator is responsible for an end-to-end administration and management of the infrastructure. Understanding the underlying components, services, and configuration and more » their relations to each other is necessary to effectively administer the Oracle SOA Suite 11g environment. Due to its sheer size, administering Oracle SOA Suite 11g is a daunting task.
This book provides detailed explanations of all the core administrative and management activities around Oracle SOA Suite. It includes compact information for end-to-end administration of Oracle SOA Suite 11g. It delves into advanced topics such as silent installs, cloning, backup and recovery and high availability installations. « less
REST and Web Architectures
SOA Governance in Action shows developers how to apply governance concepts and implementation practices to achieve success in SOA projects. You'll learn practical techniques like building a metadata repository using WSO2 Registry or a custom monitoring dashboard using Bamos BAM. You'll also explore other more » supporting tools, such as using OpenAM, to implement security related policies. Along the way, you'll explore the nuances of writing policies that work for the project and click with your corporate culture.
Written for business application developers. Familiarity with Java and BPMN is helpful but not required. « less
Discover the true meaning behind the buzzword that is 'Service Oriented Architecture'
Get to grips with clear definitions of "Service" and "Architecture" to understand the full SOA picture. Read about SOA in simple terms from Oracle ACE Directors for SOA and Middleware in this book. A concise, no-nonsense guide to demystifying Service Oriented Architecture.
SOA Patterns provides detailed, technology-neutral solutions to these challenges, and many others, using plain language. You'll understand the design patterns that promote and enforce flexibility, availability, and scalability. Each of the 26 patterns uses the classic problem/solution format and a unique more » technology map to show where specific solutions fit into the general pattern.
Written for working developers and architects building services and service-oriented solutions. Knowledge of Java or C# is helpful but not required. « less