Prepare for Microsoft Exam 70-762, Developing SQL Databases –and help demonstrate your real-world mastery of skills for building and implementing databases across organizations. Designed for database professionals who build and implement databases across organizations and who ensure high levels of data more » availability, Exam Ref focuses on the critical-thinking and decision-making acumen needed for success at the MCSA level.
Focus on the expertise measured by these objectives:
• Design and implement database objects
• Implement programmability objects
• Manage database concurrency
• Optimize database objects and SQL infrastructure
This Microsoft Exam Ref:
• Organizes its coverage by exam objectives
• Features strategic, what-if scenarios to challenge you
• Assumes you have working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Transact-SQL, and relational databases
About the Exam
Exam 70-762 focuses on skills and knowledge for building and implementing databases across organizations and ensuring high levels of data availability.
About Microsoft Certification
Passing this exam earns you credit toward a Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate
(MCSA) certification that demonstrates your mastery of modern database
development. Exam 70-761 (Querying Data with Transact-SQL) is also required for MCSA: SQL 2016 Database Development. See full details at: microsoft.com/learning « less
Optimize reporting and BI with Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Professional Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Reporting Services and Mobile Reports provides a comprehensive lesson in business intelligence (BI), operational reporting and Reporting Services architecture using a clear, concise tutorial approach. You'll more » learn effective report solution design based upon many years of experience with successful report solutions. Improve your own reports with advanced, best-practice design, usability, query design, and filtering techniques. Expert guidance provides insight into common report types and explains where each could be made more efficient, while providing step-by step instruction on Microsoft SQL Server 2016. All changes to the 2016 release are covered in detail, including improvements to the Visual Studio Report Designer (SQL Server Data Tools) and Report Builder, Mobile Dashboard Designer, the new Report Portal Interface, HTML-5 Rendering, Power BI integration, Custom Parameters Pane, and more.
The Microsoft SQL Server 2016 release will include significant changes. New functionality, new capabilities, re-tooled processes, and changing support require a considerable update to existing knowledge. Whether you're starting from scratch or simply upgrading, this book is an essential guide to report design and business intelligence solutions.
* Understand BI fundamentals and Reporting Services architecture
* Learn the ingredients to a successful report design
* Get up to speed on Microsoft SQL Server 2016
* Grasp the purpose behind common designs to optimize your reporting
Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services makes reporting faster, easier, and more powerful than ever in web, desktop and portal solutions. Compatibility with an extensive variety of data sources makes it a go-to solution for organizations across the globe. The 2016 release brings some of the biggest changes in years, and the full depth and breadth of these changes can create a serious snag in your workflow. For a clear tutorial geared toward the working professional, Professional Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Reporting Services and Mobile Reports is the ideal guide for getting up to speed and producing successful reports. « less
Get the most out of the rich development capabilities of SQL Server 2016 to build efficient database applications for your organization
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Utilize the new enhancements in Transact-SQL and security features in SQL Server 2016 to build efficient database applications
* Work with temporal tables to get information about data stored in the table at any point in time
* A detailed guide to SQL Server 2016, introducing you more » to multiple new features and enhancements to improve your overall development experience
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is for database developers and solution architects who plan to use the new SQL Server 2016 features for developing efficient database applications. It is also ideal for experienced SQL Server developers who want to switch to SQL Server 2016 for its rich development capabilities. Some understanding of the basic database concepts and Transact-SQL language is assumed.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Explore the new development features introduced in SQL Server 2016
* Identify opportunities for In-Memory OLTP technology, significantly enhanced in SQL Server 2016
* Use columnstore indexes to get significant storage and performance improvements
* Extend database design solutions using temporal tables
* Exchange JSON data between applications and SQL Server in a more efficient way
* Migrate historical data transparently and securely to Microsoft Azure by using Stretch Database
* Use the new security features to encrypt or to have more granular control over access to rows in a table
* Simplify performance troubleshooting with Query Store « less
* Build and deploy Tabular Model projects from relational data sources
* Leverage DAX and create high-performing calculated fields and measures
* Create ad-hoc reports based on a Tabular Model solution
* Useful tips to monitor and optimize your tabular solutions
SQL more » Server Analysis Service (SSAS) has been widely used across multiple businesses to build smart online analytical reporting solutions. It includes two different types of modeling for analysis services: Tabular and Multi Dimensional. This book covers Tabular modeling, which uses tables and relationships with a fast in-memory engine to provide state of the art compression algorithms and query performance. The book begins by quickly taking you through the concepts required to model tabular data and set up the necessary tools and services. As you learn to create tabular models using tools such as Excel and Power View, you’ll be shown various strategies to deploy your model on the server and choose a query mode (In-memory or DirectQuery) that best suits your reporting needs.
You’ll also learn how to implement key and newly introduced DAX functions to create calculated columns and measures for your model data. Last but not least, you’ll be shown techniques that will help you administer and secure your BI implementation along with some widely used tips and tricks to optimize your reporting solution. By the end of this book, you’ll have gained hands-on experience with the powerful new features that have been added to Tabular models in SSAS 2016 and you’ll be able to improve user satisfaction with faster reports and analytical queries. What you will learn Learn all about Tabular services mode and how it speeds up development Build solutions using sample datasets Explore built-in actions and transitions in SSAS 2016 Implement row-column, and role-based security in a Tabular Data model Realize the benefits of in-memory and DirectQuery deployment « less
Analytics for Data Scientists
Learn how to develop powerful data analytics applications quickly for SQL Server database administrators and developers. Organizations will be able to sift data and derive the business intelligence needed to drive business decisions and profit. The addition of R to SQL Server 2016 places a powerful analytical more » processor into an environment most developers are already comfortable with – Visual Studio. This book walks even the newest of users through the creation process of a powerful R-language tool set for use in analyzing and reporting on your data.
As a SQL Server database administrator or developer, it is sometimes difficult to stay on the bleeding edge of technology. Microsoft’s addition of R to SQL Server 2016 is sure to be a game-changer, and the language will certainly become an integral part of future releases. R is in fact widely used today in statistical and related applications, and its use is only growing.Beginning SQL Server R Serviceshelps you jump on board this important trend by providing good examples with detailed explanations of the WHY and not just the HOW.
* Walks you through setup and installation of SQL Server R Services.
* Explains the basics of working with R Tools for Visual Studio.
* Provides a road map to successfully creating custom R code.
What You Will Learn * Discover R’s role in the SQL Server 2016 hierarchy.
* Manage the components needed to run SQL Server R Services code.
* Run R-language analytics and queries inside the database.
* Create analytic solutions that run across multiple datasets.
* Gain in-depth knowledge of the R language itself.
* Implement custom SQL Server R Services solutions.
Who This Book Is For
Beginning SQL Server R Services is for any level of database administrator or developer, but specifically it's for those developers with the need to develop powerful data analytics applications quickly. Seasoned R developers will appreciate the book for its robust learning pattern, using visual aids in combination with properties explanations and scenarios. Beginning SQL Server R Services is the perfect “new hire” gift for new database developers in any organization. « less
Learn SQL Server Reporting Services and become current with the 2016 edition. Develop interactive, dynamic reports that combine graphs, charts, and tabular data into attractive dashboards and reports to delight business analysts and other users of corporate data. Deliver mobile reports to anywhere and more » any device. Build vital knowledge of Reporting Services at a time when Microsoft's dominance in business intelligence is on the rise.
Beginning SQL Server Reporting Servicesturns novices into skilled report developers. The book begins by explaining how to set up the development environment. It then walks you through creating your first reports using the built-in wizard. After showing what is possible, the book breaks down and explains the skills needed to create reports from scratch. And not just reports! But also dashboards with charts, graphs, and maps. Each chapter builds on knowledge gained in the previous chapters with step-by-step tutorials. Beginning SQL Server Reporting Servicesboosts your skills and provides you additional career options. Don't be without those options. Grab and read this book today.
Build reports with and without the built-in wizard. Build interactive features such as drill-through reports. Build dashboards full of charts, graphs, and maps. Build mobile reports.
What You Will Learn
* Set up your development environment.
* Organized projects and share components among reports.
* Create report using a wizard.
* Create reports from scratch, including grouping levels, parameters, and drill through features.
* Build interactive dashboard with graphs, charts, and maps.
* Deploy and manage reports for use by others in the business.
Who This Book Is For
Beginning SQL Server Reporting Services is for database professionals of all experience levels who have some experience in databases and want to make the leap into business intelligence reporting. The book is an excellent choice for those needing to add Reporting Services to their current list of skills, or who are looking for a skill set that is in demand for in order to break into IT. « less
Bringing consistent response time to mission-critical applications
Design and configure SQL Server instances and databases in support of high-throughput applications that are mission-critical and provide consistent response times in the face of variations in user numbers and query volumes. Learn to configure SQL Server and design your databases to support a given instance more » and workload.
You'll learn advanced configuration options, in-memory technologies, storage and disk configuration, and more, all toward enabling your desired application performance and throughput.Configuration doesn't stop with implementation. Workloads change over time, and other impediments can arise to thwart desired performance. High Performance SQL Server covers monitoring and troubleshooting to aid in detecting and fixing production performance problems and minimizing application outages. You'll learn a variety of tools, ranging from the traditional wait analysis methodology to the new query store, and you'll learn how improving performance is really an iterative process.
High Performance SQL Server is based on SQL Server 2016, although most of its content can be applied to prior versions of the product. This book is an excellent complement to performance tuning books focusing on SQL queries, and provides the other half of what you need to know by focusing on configuring the instances on which mission-critical queries are executed.
* Covers SQL Server instance-configuration for optimal performance
* Helps in implementing SQL Server in-memory technologies
* Provides guidance toward monitoring and ongoing diagnostics
What You Will Learn
* Understand SQL Server's database engine and how it processes queries
* Configure instances in support of high-throughput applications
* Provide consistent response times to varying user numbers and query volumes
* Record performance baselines and monitor SQL Server instances against them
* Troubleshot and fix performance problems
Who This Book Is For
High Performance SQL Server is aimed at SQL Server database administrators, developers, and data architects. The book is also of use to system administrators who are managing and are responsible for the physical servers on which SQL Server instances are run. « less
Over 70 practical recipes to analyze multi-dimensional data in SQL Server 2016 Analysis Services cubes
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Updated for SQL Server 2016, this book helps you take advantage of the new MDX commands and the new features introduced in SSAS
* Perform time-related, context-aware, and business related-calculations with ease to enrich your Business Intelligence solutions
* Collection of techniques more » to write flexible and high performing MDX queries in SSAS with carefully structured examples
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is for anyone who has been involved in working with multidimensional data. If you are a multidimensional cube developer, a multidimensional database administrator, or a report developer who writes MDX queries to access multidimensional cube, this book will help you. If you are a power cube user or an experienced business analyst, you will also find this book invaluable in your data analysis. This book is for you are interested in doing more data analysis so that the management can make timely and accurate business decisions.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Grasp the fundamental MDX concepts, features, and techniques
* Work with sets
* Work with Time dimension and create time-aware calculations
* Make analytical reports compact, concise, and efficient
* Navigate cubes
* Master MDX for reporting with Reporting Services (new)
* Perform business analytics
* Design efficient cubes and efficient MDX queries
* Create metadata-driven calculations (new)
* Capture MDX queries and many other techniques
If you're often faced with MDX challenges, this is a book for you. It will teach you how to solve various real-world business requirements using MDX queries and calculations.
Examples in the book introduce an idea or a problem and then guide you through the process of implementing the solution in a step-by-step manner, inform you about the best practices and offer a deep knowledge in terms of how the solution works. Recipes are organized by chapters, each covering a single topic. They start slowly and logically progress to more advanced techniques.
In case of complexity, things are broken down. Instead of one, there are series of recipes built one on top of another. This way you are able to see intermediate results and debug potential errors faster.
Finally, the cookbook format is here to help you quickly identify the topic of interest and in it a wide range of practical solutions, that is – MDX recipes for your success.
STYLE AND APPROACH
This book is written in a cookbook format, where you can browse through and look for solutions to a particular problem in one place. Each recipe is short, to the point and grouped by relevancy. All the recipes are sequenced in a logical progression; you will be able to build up your understanding of the topic incrementally. « less
Automation for the DBA
This book is a complete guide to setting up and maintaining maintenance plans for SQL Server Database Administrators. Maintenance plans too often consist of a backup task and that’s it, but there is so much more that can and must be done to ensure the integrity of your most important company resource more » – the data you are tasked to manage and safeguard. This book walks even the newest of users through creating a powerful, automated maintenance plan.
Automate your job using SQL Server Agent to leverage the power of Maintenance Plans to deliver real, proactive solutions to common issues. Schedule common tasks such as backups and index rebuilds to run automatically, and get early-warning notifications of impending problems relating to resource usage and query performance. By the time your boss knows to call you about a problem, you’ll have already called him to describe your solution.
The large majority of books never really cover the topic of inheriting a database server with multiple live databases; the common thread is that the databases will be created and maintained by the reader forever and ever. In the real world, that scenario rarely happens. Practical Maintenance Plans in SQL Server covers that scenario and provides you with the knowledge and tools needed to get comfortable writing your own maintenance plans for any SQL Server database, whether created by you or inherited.
* Shows the different tasks that can be run in a maintenance plan.
* Explains how and why those tasks can be implemented.
* Provides a roadmap to creating your own custom maintenance plan.
What You Will Learn
* Implement a completely automated backup maintenance plan
* Be alerted to performance problems and outages ahead of your boss
* Learn the different types of database maintenance tasks
* Plan the workflow of tasks within a maintenance plan
* Automate your work by implementing custom maintenance plans
Who This Book Is For
Practical Maintenance Plans in SQL Server is for any level of database administrator, but specifically it’s for those administrators with a real need to set up a powerful maintenance plan quickly. New and seasoned administrators will appreciate the book for its robust learning pattern of visual aids in combination with explanations and scenarios. Practical Maintenance Plans in SQL Server is the perfect “new hire” gift for new database administrators in any organization. « less