Covering HTML5, CSS3, and jQuery
In just one hour a day, you’ll learn the skills you need to design, create, and maintain a professional-looking website.
* No previous experience required. By following each short, one-hour lesson in this book, anyone can learn the basics of web development.
* Learn at your own pace. You can work through each lesson sequentially to make sure you thoroughly understand all the concepts and methodologies, or you can focus on specific lessons to learn the techniques that interest you most.
* Test your knowledge. Each lesson ends with a Workshop section filled with questions, answers, and exercises for further study.
Learn how to...
* Fully implement the HTML5 and CSS3 standards
* Work with text and create links
* Add images and graphics to your page
* Use CSS to style a site and position elements on a page
* Structure a page with HTML5
* Use responsive web design to make your pages look good on different-sized screens
* Design for the mobile web
* Get your site online and let people know it’s there
* Optimize your site for search engines
Contents at a Glance
PART I: Getting Started 1 What Is Web Publishing 2 Getting Your Tools in Order 3 Introducing HTML and CSS
PART II: Creating Web Pages 4 Learning the Basics of HTML 5 Organizing Information with Lists 6 Working with Links
PART III: Doing More with HTML and CSS 7 Formatting Text with HTML and CSS 8 Using CSS to Style a Site 9 Using Images on Your Web Pages 10 Building Tables 11 Using CSS to Position Elements on a Page 12 Designing Forms 13 Structuring a Page with HTML5 14 Integrating Multimedia: Video and Sound 15 Advanced CSS: Page Layout in CSS 16 Using Responsive Web Design
PART V: Designing for Everyone 21 Designing for the Mobile Web 22 Designing for User Experience
PART VI: Going Live on the Web 23 How to Publish Your Site 24 Taking Advantage of the Server 25 Search Engines and SEO « less
From Beginner to Pro
Teaches you to start up Nginx and quickly take your expertise to a level where you can comfortably work with various aspects of the web server and make informed design decisions for your web farm. Nginx powers more than 40% of the top 1000 websites and is among the handful of web servers that can handle more » more than 10K simultaneous connections. It has some features which are simply unparalleled.
Nginx: From Beginner to Pro teaches the Nginx server in a practical way. Frequently, it is found that web administrators struggle to fix the skill set gaps that happen due to a platform change. Migration from IIS & Apache becomes tedious at best. The book is targeted toward real-world administrators who would want to get up to speed as soon as possible and make good, informed design decisions. First you will set up Nginx and understand the architectural nuances. Then you will learn how to scale out, secure, monitor and troubleshoot the web server. Once you are fully comfortable with Nginx, you will start learning about migrating applications (or its part) from IIS or Apache web servers. Finally, you will learn to troubleshoot and maintain your Nginx professionally.
Written by an author who has gone through the rough phase while moving from IIS/Apache to Nginx, this book is practical and filled with step-by-step instructions to make your time with Nginx as straightforward as possible.
What You Will Learn
* Install & setup Nginx on CentOS, Ubuntu & Mac.
* Understand Nginx modules and compiling Nginx with appropriate modules.
* Learn about basic configuration and architecture along with hosting nuances.
* How to load balance Nginx and use it as a highly available web platform.
* How to monitor traffic and automate common administrative tasks.
* How to use scripts to perform routine checks for health issues.
* Learn how to implement security and authentication in Nginx.
* Learn how and what to migrate from IIS & Apache web servers.
Who This Book Is For
Provides a crisp background of Nginx and then gears towards technical and practical topics. You need to know HTTP protocol, and have basic knowledge of Linux and networking concepts. The target audience is web administrators who would like to learn the finer nuances of Nginx, or map their existing skillset from IIS or Apache. « less
Excel in Nginx quickly by learning to use its most essential features in real-life applications
Nginx is an open source and cross-platform reverse proxy server designed for low memory usage and high performance and concurrency.
This book provides both basic and in-depth knowledge to help you effectively solve challenges with Nginx, or comfortably go through a transition period when switching to more » Nginx.
Starting with the basics, you will learn by example how to set up, configure, and operate an Nginx installation and use features of Nginx to elegantly solve challenges you experience every day when running your website. You will learn to use the rewrite engine to solve day-to-day tasks and be able to configure access restrictions in Nginx. You will also be able to manage inbound traffic using a number of Nginx features and use Nginx for load balancing and fault-tolerance features. Finally, you will learn how to solve common performance problems and apply a number of performance-tuning strategies.
Through easy exploration of the most intricate topics, this book aims to bring you to the next level in your Nginx experience.
***** About This Book *****
* Learn how to set up, configure, and operate an Nginx installation for day-to-day use
* Explore the vast features of Nginx to manage it like a pro, and use them successfully to run your website
* Example-based guide to get the best out of Nginx to reduce resource usage footprint
***** Who This Book Is For *****
This book is ideal for skilled web masters and site reliability engineers who want to switch to Nginx or solidify their knowledge of Nginx. Knowledge of Unix and webmaster skills are required.
***** What You Will Learn *****
* Get started with an Nginx installation from scratch in various environments and customize it for your purposes
* Start and stop a basic Nginx installation, discover the basics of process management, and learn how to set up Nginx to serve static data
* Create highly-maintainable configuration files to perform the most critical Nginx maintenance tasks
* Set up Nginx as a reverse proxy and learn to use the Nginx caching feature
* Discover how to benefit from the Nginx rewrite engine and how to use access restrictions in Nginx
* Use various Nginx features to manage inbound traffic and understand how to use Nginx load balancing and fault tolerance features
* Understand advanced feature-independent performance tuning strategies and optimizations
* Manage inbound and outbound traffic and configure access control « less
Optimize NGINX for high-performance, scalable web applications
***** About This Book *****
* Configure Nginx for best performance, with configuration examples and explanations
* Step–by-step tutorials for performance testing using open source software
* Tune the TCP stack to make the most of the available infrastructure
***** Who This Book Is For *****
System more » administrators, developers, and engineers looking for ways to achieve maximum performance from NGINX will find this book beneficial. If you are looking for solutions such as how to handle more users from the same system or load your website pages faster, then this is the book for you.
***** What You Will Learn *****
* Compile and run NGINX from source
* Measure NGINX performance and create baselines
* Tweak NGINX configuration for last-mile performance
* Work with PHP, Python, and other languages using FCGI
* Learn to integrate with other servers over HTTP
* Set up Memcache for a performance boost
* Fine-tune the TCP stack for improved network utilization
* Construct NGINX extensions for various purposes
***** In Detail *****
NGINX is one of the most common free, open source web servers. Its performance-oriented architecture and small footprint makes it an ideal choice for high-traffic websites.
NGINX offers great performance and optimal resource utilization to its administrators. This practical guide walks you through how to tune one of the leading free open source web servers to attain optimal performance for high-traffic sites. It also explores ways to improve network utilization for high loads.
The tour starts with an overview of the NGINX architecture. You will build and configure NGINX for optimal utilization of the hardware available. The book demonstrates various practices to improve last mile content delivery by using timeouts, caching, and compression. You'll also discover various free open source tools to test and benchmark web server performance, allowing you to verify NGINX performance at every step. « less
When your website slows to a crawl or Exchange stops sending internet mail, you have to get things working again. Fast. IIS is the communication gateway for most Microsoft servers as well as the primary technology for publishing web sites. Learning to manage it effectively means you can keep your systems more » running smoothly and go home on time.
Learn Windows IIS in a Month of Lunches is an innovative tutorial designed for busy administrators. Follow the crisp explanations, examples, and exercises in this concise, easy-to-read book, and you'll be managing, securing, and automating IIS faster than you thought possible. You'll start with IIS fundamentals, and then systematically explore web farm design, website management, and high availability, along with practices to keep your Exchange, SharePoint, System Center, and Lync servers running smoothly. « less
An in-depth guide to configuring NGINX for any situation, including numerous examples and reference tables describing each directive
NGINX is a high-performance HTTP server and mail proxy designed to use very few system resources. With the many tutorials and example configurations floating around the Web, it is difficult to know how to properly configure NGINX to meet your expectations.
Mastering Nginx - will serve to clarify the more » murky waters of NGINX configuration, helping you learn how to tune NGINX for various situations, what some of the more obscure configuration directives do, and how to design a decent configuration to match your needs. « less
Make the most of your infrastructure and serve pages faster than ever with Nginx
Nginx is a lightweight HTTP server designed for high-traffic websites, with network scalability as the primary objective. With the advent of high speed Internet access, short loading times and fast transfer rates have become a necessity. This free, open source solution will either come as a full replacement more » of other software such as Apache, or stand in front of your existing infrastructure to improve its overall speed.
Nginx HTTP Server, 2nd Edition provides a detailed guide to setting up Nginx in different ways that correspond to actual production situations: as a standalone server, as a reverse proxy, interacting with applications via FastCGI and more. In addition, the complete directive reference will be your best friend at all stages of the configuration and maintenance processes. « less
Companies can solve significant scaling issues thanks to switching their web platforms to Nginx. A popular web server for building web infrastructure, Nginx transparently and effectively enables the growth of the largest sites on the Internet today, on top of being free and open source.
This book more » is a practical reference providing you with everything you need to know about Nginx module extensions. You will learn how to write powerful and flexible configuration files and your own modules, as well as gaining knowledge about Nginx's modular architecture, available modules, and their intricate details. « less
If you'd like to make the leap from a hosted environment to a self-hosted service, this book is for you. You may be making the move from casual blogging to professional blogging. Or, you might already be self-hosting, but want a good guide to show you how to get more out of your plan. In simple, easy-to-understand more » language, this helpful book breaks down all the functions of web hosting for self-hosted users, from setting up new e-mail accounts to backing up and securing your site, analyzing server logs, choosing a platform to install, and more. « less
If you're a developer or administrator, you'll want to get thoroughly up to speed on Microsoft's new IIS 8 platform with this complete, in-depth reference. Prepare yourself to administer IIS 8 in not only commercial websites and corporate intranets, but also the mass web hosting market with this expert more » content. The book covers common administrative tasks associated with monitoring and managing an IIS environment - and then moves well beyond, into extensibility, scripted admin, and other complex topics. « less