Create Usable Interfaces for Applications and the Web
This book is for designers, developers, and product managers who are charged with what sometimes seems like an impossible task: making sure products work the way your users expect them to. You'll find out how to design applications and websites that people will not only use, but will absolutely love. more » The second edition brings the book up to date and expands it with three completely new chapters.
Interaction design - the way the apps on our phones work, the way we enter a destination into our car's GPS - is becoming more and more important. Identify and fix bad software design by making usability the cornerstone of your design process.
Lukas weaves together hands-on techniques and fundamental concepts. Each technique chapter explains a specific approach you can use to make your product more user friendly, such as storyboarding, usability tests, and paper prototyping. Idea chapters are concept-based: how to write usable text, how realistic your designs should look, when to use animations. This new edition is updated and expanded with new chapters covering requirements gathering, how the design of data structures influences the user interface, and how to do design work as a team. Through copious illustrations and supporting psychological research, expert developer and user interface designer Lukas Mathis gives you a deep dive into research, design, and implementation--the essential stages in designing usable interfaces for applications and websites.
Lukas inspires you to look at design in a whole new way, explaining exactly what to look for - and what to avoid - in creating products that get people excited. « less
Modern Cross-Platform Development
* Build modern, cross-platform applications with .NET Core
* Get up to speed with C#, and up to date with all the latest features of C#
* Start creating professional web applications with ASP.NET Core
C# has recently been made open source and now supports cross-platform more » development for Linux, macOS, and Windows. It can be used to create everything from business applications, websites, and services to games for Android and iOS mobile phones and Xbox One. If you want to build powerful cross-platform applications with C# 7 and .Net Core, then this book is for you.
First, we'll run you through the basics of C#, as well as object-orient programming, before taking a quick tour through the latest features of C# 7 such as tuples, pattern matching, and out variables. We also look at the features of C# 6 such as string interpolation, exception filtering, and static class imports. We'll also cover both the full-feature, mature .NET framework and the newer, cross-platform .NET Core.
After quickly taking you through C# and how .NET works, we'll dive into the internals of the .NET class libraries, covering topics such as performance, monitoring, debugging, serialization, and encryption. We'll look at managing your data with Entity Framework Core, developing code-first entity data models, and using LINQ to query and manipulate that data.
The final section demonstrates the major types of applications that you can build and deploy cross-device and cross-platform. In this section, we'll cover Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps, web applications, and web services. Last, we'll help you build a complete application that can be hosted on all of today's most popular platforms, including Linux and Docker.
By the end of the book, you'll be armed with all the knowledge you need to build modern, cross-platform applications using C# and .NET Core.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Build cross-platform applications using C# 7 and .NET Core
* Explore ASP.NET Core and learn how to create professional web applications
* Improve your application's performance using multitasking
* Use Entity Framework Core and find out how to build code-first databases
* Master object-oriented programming with C# to increase code reuse and efficiency
* Familiarize yourself with cross-device app development using the Universal Windows Platform and XAML
* Query and manipulate data using LINQ
* Protect your data by using encryption and hashing « less
* Get hands-on experience with the Ardruino board and learn to control it with your programming skills
* Learn the essential concepts of C such as variables, data structures, functions, loops, and pointers
* Work with electronic devices such as LEDs, switches, and motors and connect them more » to Arduino using C
Are you excited to explore the small yet powerful Arduino board, but are you wondering how to explore it without having programming and/or microcontroller skills? Then this book is what you are looking for. It will not only help you explore the world of Arduino with C programming, but also aid you in controlling your Arduino board.
The book will start with the fundamentals of C programming and programming topics, such data types, functions, decision making, program loops, pointers, and structures, with the help of an Arduino board. Then you will get acquainted with Arduino interactions with sensors, LEDs, and autonomous systems and setting up the Arduino environment. Moving on you will also learn how to work on the digital and analog I/O, establish serial communications with autonomous systems, and integrate with electronic devices. By the end of the book, you will be able to make basic projects such as LED cube and smart weather system that leverages C.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Play with mathematical operations using C
* Use logical operations and loops to play with LEDs and the Arduino board
* Create custom functions using C and connect an SD card to the Arduino
* Use Object-oriented Programming to connect a GSM module to the Arduino board
* Play with an LCD board and Servo using standard Arduino libraries
* Build projects using Arduino such as a LED cube, a smart weather system, and home security
* Identify and fix common errors on an Arduino board « less
* Deep dive into the components of the small yet powerful Raspberry Pi Zero
* Get into grips with integrating various hardware, programming, and networking concepts with the so-called “cheapest computer”
* Explore the functionalities of this $5 chip through practical recipes
The more » Raspberry Pi Zero, one of the most inexpensive, fully-functional computers available, is a powerful and revolutionary product developed by the Raspberry Pi Foundation. The Raspberry Pi Zero opens up a new world for the makers out there. This book will give you expertise with the Raspberry Pi Zero, providing all the necessary recipes that will get you up and running.
In this book, you will learn how to prepare your own circuits rather than buying the expensive add–ons available in the market. We start by showing you how to set up and manage the Pi Zero and then move on to configuring the hardware, running it with Linux, and programming it with Python scripts. Later, we integrate the Raspberry Pi Zero with sensors, motors, and other hardware. You will also get hands-on with interesting projects in media centers, IoT, and more.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Set up your Raspberry Pi Zero with the operating system, networking, and different interfaces
* Get a hands-on introduction to Linux, Python, and shell scripts with the Raspberry Pi Zero
* Become a master at driving GPIOs and controlling relays, motors, transistors, buzzers, audio, read switches, and interrupts with the Raspberry Pi Zero
* Control GPIOs using the web interface and Node.js
* Connect displays, LED matrixes, analog sensors, and digital sensors
* Hack the Ethernet on the Raspberry Pi Zero
* Make your Raspberry Pi Zero an IoT-based sensor node and remotely monitor your data
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Edward Snajder takes on the challenges of performance, optimization, scalability, and portability for PostgreSQL, Oracle, SQL Server, and MySQL DB engines for the databases behind the Jive platform. He's got hands-on experience with system design, HA, virtualization, and distributed systems, and has had the opportunity to interface with quality engineering, support, technical operations, and professional services when not building things in engineering. In his spare time, he is an Internet of Things enthusiast and has spoken on the wonders of the Raspberry Pi at conferences and user groups. He loves his Raspberry Pis. He has also built his own 3D printer and has several 75%-complete Arduino projects.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Kick-Start Your Raspberry Pi Zero
2. Setting Up Physical and Wireless Connections
3. Programming with Linux
4. Programming with Python
5. Getting Your Hands Dirty Using the GPIO Header
6. Controlling the LEDs and Displays
7. Controlling the Hardware
8. Taking Digital Inputs to the Raspberry Pi Zero
9. Interfacing Sensors with the Raspberry Pi Zero
10. Cooking up Projects to Amaze the World! « less
Learn the Art of Solving Computational Problems
A walkthrough of computer science concepts you must know. Designed for readers who don't care for academic formalities, it's a fast and easy computer science guide. It teaches the foundations you need to program computers effectively. After a simple introduction to discrete math, it presents common algorithms more » and data structures. It also outlines the principles that make computers and programming languages work. « less
The bestselling Project+ preparation guide, updated for the latest exam The CompTIA Project+ Study Guide, Second Edition is your comprehensive resource for taking Exam PK0-004. With 100% coverage of all exam objectives, bolstered by real-world scenarios and the Sybex interactive learning environment, more » this book gives you everything you need to approach the exam with confidence. Detailed explanations and superior study tools cover and reinforce setup, initiation, planning, execution, delivery, change, control, communication, and closure, and the author Kim Heldman's twenty-five years of project management experience provide deep insight into real-world applications. Study tools include access to two bonus practice exams, allowing you to focus on areas you need further review, and electronic flashcards provide last minute review on key concepts.
The Project+ exam is a first step into the complex world of project management, and serves as a springboard to the Project Management Institute's (PMI) PMP certification. This study guide helps you build the knowledge you need to be confident on exam day.
* Review 100 percent of the Project+ exam objectives
* Understand the real-world applications of each concept
* Gain expert insight drawn from real-world experience
* Access online practice exams, electronic flashcards, and more
Every industry needs people who know how to deliver successful project outcomes. The Project+ exam parallels the PMI's A Guide to Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK© Guide), so this smart study guide gives you a solid foundation for additional project management training and certification. The CompTIA Project+ Study Guide, Second Edition combines industry-leading expertise with Sybex resources to help you successfully begin your project management journey. « less
About the Book: Prepare for Microsoft Exam 70-743—and demonstrate that your skills are upgraded for Windows Server 2016. Designed for experienced IT pros ready to advance their status, this Exam Ref focuses on the critical-thinking and decision-making acumen needed for success at the MCSA level. Focus more » on the skills measured on the exam:
•Install Windows servers in host and compute environments
•Implement storage solutions
•Implement Windows containers
•Implement high availability
•Implement Domain Name System (DNS)
•Implement IP Address Management (IPAM)
•Implement network connectivity and remote access solutions
•Implement an advanced network infrastructure
•Install and configure Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS)
•Implement identity federation and access solutions
This Microsoft Exam Ref:
•Organizes its coverage by the “Skills measured” posted on the exam webpage
•Features strategic, what-if scenarios to challenge you
•Points to in-depth material by topic for exam candidates needing additional review
•Assumes you are an IT pro looking to validate your skills in and knowledge of installing and configuring Windows Server 2016 « less
Obtain enterprise agility and continuous delivery by implementing DevOps with Windows Server 2016
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* This practical learning guide will improve your application lifecycle management and help you manage environments efficiently
* Showcase through a sample application ways to apply DevOps principles and practices in the real world
* Implement DevOps using latest technologies in Windows more » Server 2016 such as Windows Container, Docker, and Nano Servers
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is for .NET developers and system administrators who have a basic knowledge of Windows Server 2016 and are now eager to implement DevOps at work using Windows Server 2016. Knowledge of Powershell, Azure, and containers will help.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Take a deep dive into the fundamentals, principles, and practices of DevOps
* Achieve an end-to-end DevOps implementation
* Execute source control management using GITHUB and VSTS vNext
* Automate the provisioning and configuration of infrastructure
* Build and release pipeline
* Measure the success of DevOps through application instrumentation and monitoring
Delivering applications swiftly is one of the major challenges faced in fast-paced business environments. Windows Server 2016 DevOps is the solution to these challenges as it helps organizations to respond faster in order to handle the competitive pressures by replacing error-prone manual tasks using automation.
This book is a practical description and implementation of DevOps principles and practices using the features provided by Windows Server 2016 and VSTS vNext. It jumps straight into explaining the relevant tools and technologies needed to implement DevOps principles and practices. It implements all major DevOps practices and principles and takes readers through it from envisioning a project up to operations and further. It uses the latest and upcoming concepts and technologies from Microsoft and open source such as Docker, Windows Container, Nano Server, DSC, Pester, and VSTS vNext.
By the end of this book, you will be well aware of the DevOps principles and practices and will have implemented all these principles practically for a sample application using the latest technologies on the Microsoft platform. You will be ready to start implementing DevOps within your project/engagement.
STYLE AND APPROACH
This practical, learning book is linear and progressive, and every chapters builds on the previous chapters. We focus on the practical skills required to implement DevOps, with a summary of the key concepts only where strictly necessary. « less
Exam 100-105, Exam 200-105, and Exam 200-125
Preview exam day with 1500 questions tailored to the exam domains CCNA Routing and Switching Practice Tests is your ultimate tool for exam success and compliments the Sybex Deluxe Study Guides and Study Guides for the CCENT and CCNA. Whether you're taking the 200-15 Composite Exam or the two-part 100-105 more » and 200-105 exams, this book gives you the practice you need to study smarter. Seven completely unique 200-question practice tests cover the seven CCNA Routing and Switching objective domains, and two additional unique 50-question practice exams provide even more opportunity to find areas where further review is needed. These 1500 questions cover everything you'll see on the exam—network fundamentals; LAN switching technologies; routing technologies; WAN technologies; and infrastructure services, security, and management—so you can avoid any exam-day surprises. Fully aligned with the latest versions of the exams, this book helps you focus your study time and remove uncertainties so you can face the exam with confidence.
The CCNA Routing and Switching exams test your working knowledge of IP data networks, addressing, routing, and services; network device security; troubleshooting, and more. These practice tests cover it all to help you discover what you already know, what you still need to learn, and what to expect on exam day.
* Get a preview of the types of questions you'll see on the exam
* Pinpoint areas in need of review
* Focus your study time for better results
* Gauge your readiness for any CCNA exam
The CCNA exams cover a broad range of routing and switching topics, and the questions can get fairly in-depth. Practice makes perfect, and practice tests tailored to each of the seven exam domains provide an ideal opportunity to ensure your own top-notch performance. When you're ready to get serious about CCNA certification, CCNA Routing and Switching Practice Tests are your solution for ultimate exam-day confidence. « less
Tame the Modern Style Sheet
Design websites faster than ever using Sass--the most mature and popular CSS meta-language. On any platform, integrate Sass into your project, create a reusable style guide, and use maps to drastically reduce duplication in your stylesheets. You'll see how to code the right way in Sass with short, clear more » examples on two-page spreads that show the explanation on one side and code examples on the other. This ultimate guide to using Sass, written by its creator, is updated and expanded with all the new features found in Sass 3.4, making you an expert in no time.
Sass lets you write CSS faster and more easily by enabling you to use features that regular CSS doesn't have yet. Bring the power of Sass to your projects, whether you use Node.js, Ruby, or any other programming language. This updated Pragmatic Guide gives you brief, targeted hands-on examples in an easy-to-follow modular format.
Use variables to easily change color values, measurements, or fonts across a whole project. Pare down large style sheets into comprehensible code with maps and placeholder selectors. Organize your Sass with media queries to make maintainable, responsive designs. Create your own layout systems and build shared tooling across projects that make designs more consistent. Learn the differences between extends and mixins. Build data structures to make creating site-wide color schemes a breeze, and use placeholder selectors to keep style sheets cleaner. Pass content through mixins, prevent accidental deep nesting of selectors, and use cutting-edge modular add-ons in the new Sass ecosystem, such as Eyeglass, Susy, and Bourbon Neat.
This revised guide covers all the new features in Sass 3.4, including selector parsing and manipulation. Make full use of all Sass's features by updating to the most mature and powerful CSS toolchain out there.
What You Need:
A solid understanding of CSS, and either comfort using the command line or installing GUI software on your computer. Sass 3.4 installed on any Mac, Linux, or Windows machine. « less