Create exciting iOS games with the power of the new Unreal Engine 4 subsystems
Unreal Engine 4 has always been the best measurement for industry standards. With all its tools and power, game developers and designers can reach a new level of productivity for their games with the lowest cost ever.
Learning Unreal Engine iOS Game Development teaches you the basics of iOS game development more » using Unreal Engine 4. You will discover how to build an engaging Unreal iOS game, how to generate revenue, and how to optimize game performance using the tools and functionalities the Engine provides. To begin, you will start by preparing the required files for an iOS game using the developer's portal. Next, you will go through purchasing, installing, and building game elements for different game types, picked from the chart of the latest trending games. By the end of the book, you will be able to add social and monetization functionalities to your game and submit it for review to the app store. « less
Learn the principles of lighting and rendering in the Unreal Engine
***** About This Book *****
* Get acquainted with the concepts of lighting and rendering specific to Unreal
* Use new features such as Realistic Rendering and Foliage Shading to breathe new life into your projects
* A fast-paced guide to help you learn lighting and rendering concepts in Unreal
***** more » Who This Book Is For *****
This book is meant for game developers with knowledge of Unreal Engine and a basic understanding of lighting and rendering systems in it. As a prerequisite, you need to have good knowledge of C++.
***** What You Will Learn *****
* Use features such as realistic Rendering and Foliage Shading to create high quality output
* Create and edit your materials using the Material Editor
* Use Cascade's particle editor to create modular particle-based effects using emitters
* Explore Unreal's GPU Visualizer
* Tweak the overall look and feel of your scene with post-process effects
* Create charts to get stat unit times over a long period of time
* Use scalability settings to maintain performance for your games on different platforms and hardware
***** In Detail *****
Unreal Engine is a powerful game development engine that provides rich functionalities to create 2D and 3D games. Developers have the opportunity to build cross-platform mobile and desktop games from scratch. Unreal Engine enables users to create high quality games that focus on individual complexities of game development.
This book provides you with the skills required to apply a high level of visual appeal to your games without compromising on performance.
Starting with an introduction to the rendering system, you will learn to create different types of materials using the Material Editor. You will then create a particle system based on Cascade editor to create mind-blowing visual effects.
Moving on, you will learn the concept of lights in Unreal and different types of dynamic/real-time lights, along with a number of powerful post processing effects. Next, you will learn to improve rendering performance, keeping in mind the rendering limitations for different platforms.
At the end of the book, we will discuss the scalability settings menu, and how to add realistic fog effects based on the requirements of your game or level.
***** Style and approach *****
A fast-paced guide filled with hands-on examples to teach you the principles of lighting and rendering in Unreal. « less
Take your game development skills to the next level with one of the best engines on the market
* Build an entire AAA game level throughout the book
* Take your C++ scripting skills to the next level and use them extensively to build the game
* An advanced practical guide with a tutorial style approach that will help you make the best of Unreal engine 4
Unreal more » Engine 4 has garnered a lot of attention in the gaming world because of its new and improved graphics and rendering engine, the physics simulator, particle generator, and more. This book is the ideal guide to help you leverage all these features to create state-of-the-art games that capture the eye of your audience.
Inside we'll explain advanced shaders and effects techniques and how you can implement them in your games. You'll create custom lighting effects, use the physics simulator to add that extra edge to your games, and create customized game environments that look visually stunning using the rendering technique. You'll find out how to use the new rendering engine efficiently, add amazing post-processing effects, and use data tables to create data-driven gameplay that is engaging and exciting.
By the end of this book, you will be able to create professional games with stunning graphics using Unreal Engine 4!
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Script your player controls in C++
* Build a superb and engaging level with advanced design techniques
* Program AI with C++
* Use Cascade to add life to your games
* Use custom shaders and advanced shading techniques to make things pretty
* Implement an awesome UI in the game
* Control gameplay using data tables
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Muhammad A.Moniem started in the industry at a very early age. He taught himself everything related to the game development process even before he joined college. After becoming a software engineer, he started to teach himself the art of game design and game art techniques. As a self-taught person, he was able to find his way into the industry very easily, which led him to be hired for big, medium, and small companies, titles, and teams.
Throughout his career, he has been able to contribute as a full-time or part-time employee or freelancer on games for a wide range of platforms, including Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, and OUYA. He has also worked with technologies such as VR, AR, and Kinect. Muhammad started using Unreal Engine 3 in 2007, moved to Unreal Engine 4 when it became available to the public in 2014, and has used UDK for some indie games.
Eventually, he was able to establish his own one-person game company/team as a part-time independent developer. A lot of his indie games have received recognition or have been finalists at international indie game events, such as IGF, Indie Showcase, IGC, and Tokyo Game Show. You can get in touch via twitter @_mamoniem
He has also worked on Learning Unreal® Engine iOS Game Development, Packt Publishing, which is available at https://www.packtpub.com/game-development/learning-unreal-engine-ios-game-development, and Unreal Engine Lighting and Rendering Essentials, which is available at https://www.packtpub.com/gamedevelopment/unreal-engine-lighting-and-rendering-essentials.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Preparing for a Big Project
2. Setting Up Your Warrior
3. Designing Your Playground
4. The Road to Thinkable AI
5. Adding Collectables
6. The Magic of Particles
7. Enhancing the Visual Quality
8. Cinematics and In-Game Cutscenes
9. Implementing the Game UI
10. Save the Game Progress
11. Controlling Gameplay via Data Tables
12. Ear Candy
13. Profiling the Game Performance
14. Packaging the Game « less