Over 60 hands-on recipes to perform server virtualization and manage virtualized server solutions with Proxmox
***** About This Book *****
* Learn the process of installing, configuring, and managing Proxmox clusters
* Explore ways of integrating various storage systems with Proxmox
* Step-by-step and easy-to-learn instructions to build virtual environments of any size using Proxmox
***** Who This Book more » Is For *****
This book is perfect for system administrators who want to learn to implement and administer Proxmox VE environments. Since this book will not cover the basics of Proxmox, a basic understanding of virtualization and networking with Proxmox VE is required.
***** What You Will Learn *****
* Install and configure an enterprise grade, cluster-based virtual environment using Proxmox
* Manage a cluster with Graphical User Interface using datacenter, node, KVM, and OpenVZ menus among others
* Learn different ways of configuring your network and clusters to create complex cloud services
* Configure and manage the built-in Proxmox firewall to protect your virtual environment
* Integrate storage systems such as Ceph, Sheepdog, and ZFS for virtual machine management to suit your business needs
* Backup and restore your data via stop suspend, and snapshot modes
* Upgrade a Proxmox node with new releases and apply update patches through GUI or CLI
* Monitor the resources and virtual machines to maintain performance and uptime
* Explore commands used for Proxmox and Ceph cluster through CLI
***** In Detail *****
Proxmox VE goes head to head with big virtualization platforms without bearing the overheads of high costs and vendor lock-ins. Rock solid stability and extremely easy manageability gives Proxmox VE an edge in the world of virtualization. The Proxmox cluster file system (pmxcfs) is designed uniquely for storage of configuration files with high security and reliability. Its simplicity and robustness make it easy for system administrators to manage their systems efficiently.
Proxmox VE's intuitive interface, high availability, and unique central management system puts it on par with the world's best virtualization platforms. Its simplicity and high quality of service is what makes it the foremost choice for most system administrators.
Starting with a step-by-step installation of Proxmox nodes along with an illustrated tour of Proxmox graphical user interface where you will spend most of your time managing a cluster, this book will get you up and running with the mechanisms of Proxmox VE. Various entities such as Cluster, Storage, and Firewall are also covered in an easy to understand format. You will then explore various backup solutions and restore mechanisms, thus learning to keep your applications and servers safe. Next, you will see how to upgrade a Proxmox node with a new release and apply update patches through GUI or CLI.
Monitoring resources and virtual machines is required on an enterprise level, to maintain performance and uptime; to achieve this, we learn how to monitor host machine resources and troubleshoot common issues in the setup. Finally, we will walk through some advanced configurations for VM followed by a list of commands used for Proxmox and Ceph cluster through CLI.
With this focused and detailed guide you will learn to work your way around with Proxmox VE quickly and add to your skillset.
***** Style and approach *****
This book is an inclusive and extensive handbook. It takes a pragmatic approach to complement your system admin skills and accomplish tasks within the Proxmox environment. It consists of illustrations and code-files to help you work with the data as you go from one recipe to the other. « less
Master Proxmox VE to effectively implement server virtualization technology within your network
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Learn how to provide big business virtualization technology at small business prices by using Proxmox
* Walk through every aspect of visualization using Proxmox, from a basic cluster to complex multi-cluster setups
* A practical, scenario-based guide featuring best practices which more » will show you everything you need to know to tackle any Proxmox cluster
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
If you already know what the word "virtualization" means and you are ready to stand out from the crowd equipped with the unique ability to design and implement a rock-solid virtualized network environment using Proxmox, then you have just picked up the only book you will need. Linux system administration experience together with knowledge of networking and virtualization concepts is assumed. This book is also useful if you are already using Proxmox and simply want to master its advanced features.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Provide big business virtualization technology at small business prices by using Proxmox
* Configure virtual machines beyond the basic default setup
* Set up virtual environments of any size
* Set up scalable, distributed shared storage systems using Ceph
* Analyze real-world virtual environment scenarios and formulate Proxmox-based solutions
* Monitor resources and virtual machines to maintain performance and uptime
* Troubleshoot a virtual environment based on real-life scenarios
Proxmox is an open source virtualization management solution for servers. This book starts by guiding you through how to set up your very first Proxmox virtualization platform with minimal configuration.
The book will then make you familiar with the Proxmox GUI and the directory structure. We will then take a look at the shared storage system that Proxmox supports and its pros and cons. As we move on, you will learn how to configure virtual machines beyond the basic default setup as well as how networking is handled.
Setting up a Proxmox cluster in a production environment with minimum downtime will also be explained. Towards the end of the book, you will also learn about troubleshooting by looking at real-life problems.
We will also look at how to tackle the day-to-day challenges of an administrator managing Proxmox clusters. « less