Learn advanced desktop virtualization techniques and strategies and dive deeper into VMware Horizon 7, take responsibility for optimizing your end user experience
About This Book
Build better virtualized services for your users with VMware Horizon 7
Take full advantage of Horizon's range of features for confidence and control in your virtualized solutions
Take responsibility for transforming your organization - this guide will get you started!
Who This more » Book Is For
Admins, architects. . . whatever your role, if you find virtualization a bit of a headache this book is for you. You'll go deep into VMware Horizon and see just what its capable of. It will take you to an advanced level, but at a pace that ensures you’re always solving real-world problems. You’ll need some experience in desktop management using Windows and Microsoft Office, and familiarity with Active Directory, SQL, Windows Remote Desktop Session Hosting, and VMware vSphere technology.
What You Will Learn
Successfully configure Horizon 7 for the needs of your users
Find out how VMware is perfect for end-user computing delivering virtual desktops, session-based desktops, and hosted applications all from the same platform Learn how to develop, and deploy a complete end-to-end solution
Discover how to optimize desktop OS images for virtual desktops
Build, optimize, and tune desktop operating systems to deliver a superior end-user experience
Explore the Horizon 7 infrastructure, so you can take full advantage of it!
Desktop virtualization can be a bit of a headache. But VMware Horizon 7 changes all that. With a rich and adaptive UX, improved security and a range of useful features for storage and networking optimization, there’s plenty to love. But to properly fall in love with it, you need to know how to use it. And that means venturing deeper into the software, taking advantage of its extensive range of features, many of which are « less
Optimize Windows system reliability and performance with Sysinternals
IT pros and power users consider the free Windows Sysinternals tools indispensable for diagnosing, troubleshooting, and deeply understanding the Windows platform. In this extensively updated guide, Sysinternals creator Mark Russinovich more » and Windows expert Aaron Margosis help you use these powerful tools to optimize any Windows system’s reliability, efficiency, performance, and security. The authors first explain Sysinternals’ capabilities and help you get started fast. Next, they offer in-depth coverage of each major tool, from Process Explorer and Process Monitor to Sysinternals’ security and file utilities. Then, building on this knowledge, they show the tools being used to solve real-world cases involving error messages, hangs, sluggishness, malware infections, and much more.
Windows Sysinternals creator Mark Russinovich and Aaron Margosis show you how to:
* Use Process Explorer to display detailed process and system information
* Use Process Monitor to capture low-level system events, and quickly filter the output to narrow down root causes
* List, categorize, and manage software that starts when you start or sign in to your computer, or when you run Microsoft Office or Internet Explorer
* Verify digital signatures of files, of running programs, and of the modules loaded in those programs
* Use Autoruns, Process Explorer, Sigcheck, and Process Monitor features that can identify and clean malware infestations
* Inspect permissions on files, keys, services, shares, and other objects
* Use Sysmon to monitor security-relevant events across your network
* Generate memory dumps when a process meets specified criteria
* Execute processes remotely, and close files that were opened remotely
* Manage Active Directory objects and trace LDAP API calls
* Capture detailed data about processors, memory, and clocks
* Troubleshoot unbootable devices, file-in-use errors, unexplained communication, and many other problems
* Understand Windows core concepts that aren’t well-documented elsewhere « less
Master Windows Server installation and configuration with hands-on practice and interactive study aids for the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 R2 exam 70-410 MCSA: Windows Server 2012 R2 Installation and Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-410 provides complete preparation for exam 70-410: Installing and Configuring more » Windows Server 2012 R2. With comprehensive coverage of all exam topics and plenty of hands-on practice, this self-paced guide is the ideal resource for those preparing for the MCSA on Windows Server 2012 R2. Real-world scenarios demonstrate how the lessons are applied in everyday settings. Readers also get access to the interactive practice tests, electronic flashcards, and video demonstration of the more difficult tasks, which help readers fully understand the scope of principles at work.
Exam 70-410 is one of three exams MCSA candidates must take to obtain their MCSA: Windows Server 2012 R2. The test is aligned with the 2012 update to the Windows server operating system, and so is the book. This study guide contains everything users need to know for the exam, including the 2012 update's changes to Hyper-V and Active Directory. Avoid surprises on exam day, and master the material while learning to:
* Install and configure Windows Server 2012 R2
* Configure Hyper-V and server roles and features
* Install and administer Active Directory
* Manage Group Policy
Exam prep is about more than passing the test—it helps you gain hands-on experience performing more complex operations, giving you the confidence you need to successfully apply what you've learned in a work environment. If you're looking to triumph over the MCSA exam 70-410, MCSA: Windows Server 2012 R2 Installation and Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-410 provides the information and practice you need. « less
This is the Lab Manual to accompany Exam 70-412 Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services.
This 70-412 Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services textbook covers the third of three exams required for Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA): Windows Server 2012 certification. more » This course will help validate the skills and knowledge necessary to administer a Windows Server 2012 Infrastructure in an enterprise environment.
The three MCSA exams collectively validate the skills and knowledge necessary for implementing, managing, maintaining and provisioning services and infrastructure in a Windows Server 2012 environment. This Microsoft Official Academic Course is mapped to the 70-412 Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services exam objectives. This textbook focuses on real skills for real jobs and prepares students to prove mastery of Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services such as advanced configuring tasks necessary to deploy, manage, and maintain a Windows Server 2012 infrastructure.
It covers such skills as fault tolerance, certificate services, and identity federation. In addition, this book also covers such valuable skills as: Implementing Advanced Network Services Implementing Advanced File Services Implementing Dynamic Access Control Implementing Network Load Balancing Implementing Failover Clustering Implementing Disaster Recovery Implementing Active Directory Certificate Services (ADCS) Implementing Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS) The MOAC IT Professional series is the Official from Microsoft, turn-key Workforce training program that leads to professional certification and was authored for college instructors and college students.
MOAC gets instructors ready to teach and students ready for work by delivering essential resources in 5 key areas: Instructor readiness, student software, student assessment, instruction resources, and learning validation. With the Microsoft Official Academic course program, you are getting instructional support from Microsoft; materials that are accurate and make course delivery easy. Request your sample materials today. « less
Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services
Designed to help enterprise administrators develop real-world, job-role-specific skills—this Training Guide focuses on advanced configuration of services necessary to deploy, manage and maintain a Windows Server 2012 infrastructure. Build hands-on more » expertise through a series of lessons, exercises, and suggested practices—and help maximize your performance on the job.
This Microsoft Training Guide:
* Provides in-depth, hands-on training you take at your own pace
* Focuses on job-role-specific expertise for deploying and managing advanced infrastructure services in Windows Server 2012
* Creates a foundation of skills which, along with on-the-job experience, can be measured by Microsoft Certification exams such as 70-412
Sharpen your skills. Increase your expertise.
* Configure full forest and domain trust relationships
* Configure Active Directory (AD) sites and manage AD replication
* Implement advanced DNS and DHCP solutions
* Install, configure, and manage AD Certificate Services
* Manage backups and recover servers
* Optimize storage and configure advanced file services
* Manage failover clustering and Network Load Balancing
* Move virtual machines from one Hyper-V server to another
* Implement Dynamic Access Control and Active Directory RMS
* Implement Active Directory Federation Services « less
This text does not include not include a MOAC Labs Online access code.
This 70-410 Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 textbook prepares certification students for the first of a series of three exams which validate the skills and knowledge necessary to implement a core Windows Server 2012 more » Infrastructure into an existing enterprise environment. This Microsoft Official Academic Course is mapped to the 70-410 Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 exam objectives. This textbook focuses on real skills for real jobs and prepares students to prove mastery of core services such as Active Directory and networking services. In addition, this book also covers such valuable skills as:
• Managing Active Directory Domain Services Objects
• Automating Active Directory Domain Services Administration
• Implementing Local Storage
• Implementing File and Print Services
• Implementing Group Policy
• Implementing Server Virtualization with Hyper-V « less
MCTS 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, and MCITP 70-646, 70-647
Windows Server® 2008 Portable Command Guide
MCTS 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, and MCITP 70-646, 70-647
All the MCTS 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, and MCITP 70-646, 70-647 Commands in One Compact, Portable Resource
Maximize your efficiency as a Windows Server 2008 administrator, and master more » the commands, keywords, command arguments, options, and prompts covered on Microsoft’s MCTS 70-640, MCTS 70-642, MCTS 70-643, MCITP 70-646, and MCITP 70-647 exams! This easy, handy reference brings together all the techniques, tips, tools, and examples you’ll need. It’s your perfect take-anywhere guide to running Windows Server 2008 and R2 environments—and passing Microsoft’s five key Windows Server 2008 administration exams.
Covers all the commands you need to score higher on your MCTS 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, and MCITP 70-646 and 70-647 exams!
* Master the command prompt in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2
* Manipulate files, folders, and shares
* Write effective batch files
* Manage and troubleshoot DNS with dnscmd and nslookup
* Manage and troubleshoot Active Directory–from basic and advanced ds commands through replication
* Work with group policy and the Security Configuration Wizard
* Configure Server Core, including roles and remote administration
* Control services, routing, printers, licensing, activation, event subscriptions, and more
* Troubleshoot networking, reliability, and performance
* Utilize Terminal Services and Remote Desktop Services
* Create and manage server roles from the command line
* Administer Windows Server 2008 with PowerShell and VB scripts
Your Perfect Take-Anywhere Windows Server 2008 Command Resource!
* Covers commands on the MCTS 70-640, MCTS 70-642, MCTS 70-643, MCITP 70-646, and MCITP 70-647 exams
* Includes important administration commands that aren’t on the exams
* Packed with realistic scenarios, high-efficiency examples, and expert tips
Category: Microsoft Certification
Covers: Windows Server 2008 Exams (MCTS 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, and MCITP 70-646, 70-647) « less
The perfect companion to any book on Windows Server 2008 or Windows 7, and the quickest way to access critical information Focusing just on the essentials of command-line interface (CLI), Windows Command-Line Administration Instant Reference easily shows how to quickly perform day-to-day tasks of Windows more » administration without ever touching the graphical user interface (GUI). Specifically designed for busy administrators, Windows Command-Line Administration Instant Reference replaces many tedious GUI steps with just one command at the command-line, while concise, easy to access answers provide solutions on the spot.
* Provides practical examples, step-by-step instructions, and contextual information
* Quick-reference style delivers the commands needed for managing data and the network; working with Active Directory; performing diagnostics and maintenance; and, creating batch files and scripts
* Covers administration for Windows Server 2008 Server Core, Windows Server 2008 (including R2), and Windows 7
Administrators can get more done in less time with CLI than they can with the standard GUI. Compact enough to keep on hand at all times, Windows Command-Line Administration Instant Reference provides administrators with a convenient, fast and simple way to use CLI. « less
Designing, Deploying, and Running Active Directory
To help you take full advantage of Active Directory, this fourth edition of this bestselling book gives you a thorough grounding in Microsoft's network directory service. With Active Directory, you'll learn how to design, manage, and maintain an AD infrastructure, whether it's for a small business network more » or a multinational enterprise with thousands of resources, services, and users.
This detailed and highly accurate volume covers Active Directory from its origins in Windows 2000 through Windows Server 2008. But unlike typical dry references, Active Directory presents concepts in an easy-to-understand, narrative style. « less
Windows Server 2008 Unleashed covers the planning, design, prototype testing, implementation, migration, administration, and support of a Windows 2008 and Active Directory environment, based on more than three and a half years of early adopter experience in full production environments. This book addresses more » not only what is new with Windows 2008 compared to previous versions of the Windows Server product, but also what is different and how the similarities and differences affect an organization’s migration to Windows 2008. Chapters are dedicated to the migration process from Windows 2000/2003 to Windows 2008, how to properly use Group Policies in Windows 2008, and tips and tricks on managing and administering a Windows 2008 environment.
The authors cover the technologies new to Windows 2008, such as IPv6, Network Access Protection (NAP), Network Policy Server (NPS), Terminal Services Remote Programs, Windows Deployment Services (WDS), Hyper-V virtualization, and more! This book doesn’t just describe the features and functions included in Windows 2008--there are notes throughout the book explaining how organizations have successfully used the technologies to fulfill core business needs. Tips, tricks, and best practices share lessons learned from hundreds of implementations of Windows 2008 in real-world environments.
Detailed information on how to…
* Plan and migrate from Windows 2000/2003 to Windows 2008
* Leverage new tools and utilities that simplify system and network administration functions
* Enable the latest security technologies to improve secured enterprise computing
* Better manage a Windows 2008 Active Directory environment
* Optimize a Windows 2008 environment for better scalability and enhanced performance
* Implement Windows 2008 for better branch office and remote office integration
* Design a Windows 2008 environment to support the latest in clustering, stretched clusters, fault tolerance, and redundant systems technologies
* Take advantage of add-on technologies available for Windows 2008, including Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft Hyper-V virtualization, Windows Media Services, and IIS 7 web server solutions
Rand, Michael, Ross, and Chris work for Convergent Computing, an IT consulting firm in the San Francisco Bay area that has three and a half years of early adopter experience with Windows 2008. In collaboration with co-author Omar Droubi, the authors helped organizations of all sizes plan, migrate, implement, and test Windows 2008 in production environments. The book was written from direct experiences where Windows 2008 was put into enterprise production environments focused to meet specific strategic business requirements.
Category: Windows Server
Covers: Windows Server 2008
User Level: Intermediate--Advanced
Part I: Windows Server 2008 Overview
1: Windows Server 2008 Technology Primer 3
2: Planning, Prototyping, Migrating, and Deploying Windows Server 2008 Best Practices 39
3: Installing Windows Server 2008 and Server Core 73
Part II: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory
4: Active Directory Domain Services Primer 105
5: Designing a Windows Server 2008 Active Directory 139
6: Designing Organizational Unit and Group Structure 165
7: Active Directory Infrastructure 185
8: Creating Federated Forests and Lightweight Directories 217
9: Integrating Active Directory in a UNIX Environment 235
Part III: Networking Services
10: Domain Name System and IPv6 251
11: DHCP/WINS/Domain Controllers 297
12: Internet Information Services 331
Part IV: Security
13: Server-Level Security 375
14: Transport-Level Security 399
15: Security Policies, Network Policy Server, and Network Access Protection 415
Part V: Migrating to Windows Server 2008
16: Migrating from Windows 2000/2003 to Windows Server 2008 439
17: Compatibility Testing for Windows Server 2008 473
Part VI: Windows Server 2008 Administration and Management
18: Windows Server 2008 Administration 499
19: Windows Server 2008 Group Policies and Policy Management 533
20: Windows Server 2008 Management and Maintenance Practices 581
21: Automating Tasks Using PowerShell Scripting 639
22: Documenting a Windows Server 2008 Environment 685
23: Integrating Systems Center Operations Manager 2007 with Windows Server 2008 715
Part VII: Remote and Mobile Technologies
24: Server-to-Client Remote and Mobile Access 737
25: Terminal Services 783
Part VIII: Desktop Administration
26: Windows Server Administration Tools for Desktops 839
27: Group Policy Management for Network Clients 865
Part IX: Fault Tolerance Technologies
28: File System Management and Fault Tolerance 935
29: System-Level Fault Tolerance (Clustering/Network Load Balancing) 993
30: Backing Up the Windows Server 2008 Environment 1043
31: Recovering from a Disaster 1077
Part X: Optimizing, Tuning, Debugging, and Problem Solving
32: Optimizing Windows Server 2008 for Branch Office Communications 1111
33: Logging and Debugging 1145
34: Capacity Analysis and Performance Optimization 1189
Part XI: Integrated Windows Application Services
35: Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 1233
36: Windows Media Services 1281
37: Deploying and Using Windows Virtualization 1313 « less