Problems and Solutions for Android Developers. Covers Android Nougat 7.0
This cookbook doesn't just teach you how to build Android apps; it also gives you the recipes you need to build real-world applications. Written by the author of the best-selling Java Cookbook, and with contributions from many members of the Android community, this book shows you how to do everything: more » working with multitouch, dealing with the phone (and the camera, accelerometer, GPS, and other built-in devices), working with web services, packaging an app for sale in the Android Market, and more.
This revised second edition includes new recipes on JSON, material design, and Android Studio IDE. If this book doesn't show you how to do it, you probably don't need it. The Android is gradually overtaking the iPhone as the hottest platform in mobile computing. Make sure you're on the bandwagon. « less
A hands-on introduction to the latest release of the Android OS and the easiest Android tools for developers
As the dominant mobile platform today, the Android OS is a powerful and flexible platform for mobile device. The new Android 7 release (New York Cheesecake) boasts significant new features more » and enhancements for both smartphone and tablet applications. This step-by-step resource takes a hands-on approach to teaching you how to create Android applications for the latest OS and the newest devices, including both smartphones and tablets.
* Shows you how to install, get started with, and use Android Studio 2 - the simplest Android developer tool ever for beginners
* Addresses how to display notifications, create rich user interfaces, and use activities and intents
* Reviews mastering views and menus and managing data
* Discusses working with SMS
* Looks at packaging and publishing applications to the Android market
Beginning Android Programming with Android Studiostarts with the basics and goes on to provide you with everything you need to know to begin to successfully develop your own Android applications. « less
Master the New Build System for Android
Android adopted Gradle as the preferred build automation system a few years ago, but many Android developers are still unfamiliar with this open source tool. This hands-on guide provides a collection of Gradle recipes to help you quickly and easily accomplish the most common build tasks for your Android more » apps. You’ll learn how to customize project layouts, add dependencies, and generate many different versions of your app.
Gradle is based on Groovy, yet very little knowledge of the JVM language is required for you to get started. Code examples use Android SDK version 23, with emulators from Marshmallow (Android 6) or Lollipop (Android 5). If you’re comfortable with Java and Android, you’re ready.
* Understand Gradle’s generated build files for Android apps
* Run Gradle from the command line or inside Android Studio
* Add more Java libraries to your Android app
* Import and export Eclipse ADT projects
* Digitally sign a Release APK for the Google Play store
* Use product flavors to build many versions of the same app
* Add custom tasks to the Gradle build process
* Test both your app’s Android and non-Android components
* Improve the performance of your Gradle build « less
"Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide "is an introductory Android book for programmers with Java experience.
Based on Big Nerd Ranch's popular Android Bootcamp course, this guide will lead you through the wilderness using hands-on example apps combined with clear explanations of key concepts more » and APIs. This book focuses on practical techniques for developing apps compatible with Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) and up, including coverage of Lollipop and material design.
Write and run code every step of the way, creating apps that integrate with other Android apps, download and display pictures from the web, play sounds, and more. Each chapter and app has been designed and tested to provide the knowledge and experience you need to get started in Android development.
The Android team is constantly improving and updating Android Studio and other tools. As a result, some of the instructions we provide in the book are no longer correct. « less
The Android Quick APIs Reference is a condensed code and APIs reference for the new Google Android 5.0 SDK. It presents the essential Android APIs in a well-organized format that can be used as a handy reference.
You won't find any technical jargon, bloated samples, drawn out history lessons, or witty more » stories in this book. What you will find is a software development kit and APIs reference that is concise, to the point and highly accessible. The book is packed with useful information and is a must-have for any mobile or Android app developer or programmer.
In the Android Quick APIs Reference, you will find a concise reference to the Android SDK and its APIs using the official Android Studio IDE. This reference is small and handy and ideal for taking with you to your appointments with your clients. « less
Design, debug, and test your apps using Android Studio
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* See what Material design is about and how to apply it your apps
* Explore the possibilities to develop apps that works on any type of device
* A step-by-step practical guide that will help you build improved applications, change their look, and debug them
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This more » book is for developers that are already familiar with programming concepts and have already started creating apps for the Android platform, for example, by using the Eclipse IDE. It is for developers who intend to use Android Studio as their primary IDE or want to use Android Studio more efficiently.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Develop Android Studio applications using Genymotion
* Apply the concepts of Material design to your applications
* Use memory monitoring tools to tweak performance
* Build applications for Android Wearable
* Capture images, video, or audio within your Android app
* Use content providers to display data
* Build apps with a cloud-based backend
* Create media-related apps that will run on phones, phablets, tablets, and TVs
This book starts with an introduction of Android Studio and why you should use this IDE rather than Eclipse. Moving ahead, it teaches you to build a simple app that requires no backend setup but uses Google Cloud or Parse instead. After that, you will learn how to create an Android app that can send and receive text and images using Google Cloud or Parse as a backend. It explains the concepts of Material design and how to apply them to an Android app. Also, it shows you how to build an app that runs on an Android wear device.
Later, it explains how to build an app that takes advantage of the latest Android SDK while still supporting older Android versions. It also demonstrates how the performance of an app can be improved and how memory management tools that come with the Android Studio IDE can help you achieve this.
By the end of the book, you will be able to develop high quality apps with a minimum amount of effort using the Android Studio IDE.
STYLE AND APPROACH
This is a practical guide full of challenges and many real-world examples that demonstrate interesting development concepts. Besides smartphones and tablets, it also covers Android wearable devices and Android TV. Although strongly recommended, it is not necessary to own any Android device yourself. « less
A fast-paced guide to get you up and running with Android application development using Android Studio
Android Studio is an IDE that is based on the JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA. It gives developers a unique platform to develop and debug Android apps using various developer tools. It has a wide array of features such as live layout facility, Gradle build support, and template-based wizards, which makes it more » a preferred choice for developers.
Starting off with the basic installation and configuration of Android Studio, this book aids you in building a new project by helping you to create a custom launcher icon and guiding you to choose your activity. You then gain an insight on the additional tools provided in Android Studio, namely the Software Development Kit (SDK) Manager, Android Virtual Device (AVD) Manager, and Javadoc.
Finally, it helps you to familiarize yourself with the Help section in Android Studio that enables you to search for the help you might require in different scenarios. « less
An App-Driven Approach
The professional programmer’s Deitel® guide to smartphone and tablet app development using Android 4.3 and 4.4, the Eclipse-based Android Development Tools and the new Android Studio
Billions of apps have been downloaded from Google Play™! This book gives you everything you’ll need to start developing more » great Android apps quickly and getting them published on Google Play™. The book uses an app-driven approach–each new technology is discussed in the context of seven fully tested Android apps, complete with syntax coloring, code highlighting, code walkthroughs and sample outputs. Apps you’ll develop include:
* Welcome App
* Cannon Game
* Tip Calculator
* Twitter® Searches
* Address Book
* Flag Quiz
The first-generation Android phones were released in October 2008. By October 2013, a Strategy Analytics report showed that Android had 81.3% of the global smartphone market share, compared to 13.4% for Apple, 4.1% for Microsoft and 1% for Blackberry (bit.ly/1aqIZXf). Billions of apps have been downloaded from Google Play. There are now more than one billion activated Android devices worldwide and more than 1.5 million Android devices are being activated daily (venturebeat.com/2013/09/03/android-hits-1bactivations-and-will-be-called-kitkat-in-nextversion). The opportunities for Android app developers are enormous.
This book presents leading-edge computing technologies for professional software developers. At the heart of the book is the Deitel “app-driven approach”–concepts are presented in the context of complete working Android apps, rather than using code snippets. The introduction and app test drives at the beginning of each chapter show one or more sample executions. The book’s source code is available at www.deitel.com/books/androidfp2.
The apps in this book were carefully designed to introduce you to key Android features and APIs. You’ll quickly learn everything you need to start building Android apps–beginning with a testdrive of the Doodlz app in Chapter 1, then building your first app in Chapter 2. By the time you reach Chapter 9, you’ll be ready to create your own apps for submission to Google Play and other app marketplaces. You’ll master the Google Play submission process, including uploading your apps, deciding whether to sell your apps or offer them for free, and marketing them using in-app advertising, social media, Internet public relations and more.
Practical, example-rich coverage of:
* Android 4.3 and 4.4
* Android Development Tools, Android Studio
* Supporting Various Screen Sizes/Resolutions
* Accessibility, Internationalization, Graphics
* Activities, Fragments, Intents, Preferences
* GUIs, Layouts, Menus, Resource Files, Lists, Adapters, Events, Touch/Gesture Processing
* Immersive Mode, Printing Framework, PrintHelper
* Assets (Images, Audio), View Animation
* Threading, Collections, SQLite Database
* Social sharing via implicit intents
* Google Play™, App Publishing, Pricing, Monetization, Marketing, In-App Advertising, In-App Billing and more.
* Download code examples
* For information on Deitel’s Dive Into® Series programming training courses delivered at organizations worldwide visit www.deitel.com/training or write to firstname.lastname@example.org
* Join the Deitel social networking communities on Facebook® at deitel.com/DeitelFan, Twitter® @deitel, Google+™ at google.com/+DeitelFan, LinkedIn® at bit.ly/DeitelLinkedIn, YouTube™ at youtube.com/user/DeitelTV and subscribe to the Deitel® Buzz Online e-mail newsletter at www.deitel.com/newsletter/ subscribe.html
Deitel & Associates is an internationally recognized authoring and corporate training organization specializing in Android™ and iOS® app development, programming languages, object technology and Internet and web software technology. The company offers instructor-led courses delivered at client sites worldwide on programming languages and platforms, such as Android™ app development, iOS® app development, Java™, Objective-C, C#, Visual Basic®, Visual C++®, C++, C, XML, Python, Perl®, object technology, Internet and web programming, and a growing list of additional programming and software-development courses. The founders of Deitel & Associates, Inc., are Paul Deitel and Dr. Harvey Deitel. The company’s training clients include many of the world’s largest corporations, government agencies, branches of the military and academic institutions. To learn more about Deitel & Associates, Inc., its professional books, college textbooks, e-books and LiveLessons video training, and its worldwide Dive-Into® Series instructor-led, on-site training curriculum, visit www.deitel.com/training or send an email to email@example.com. Join the Deitel social media communities on Facebook® (www.deitel.com/DeitelFan), Twitter® (@deitel), Google+™ (google.com/+DeitelFan), LinkedIn® (bit.ly/DeitelLinkedIn) and YouTube™ (youtube.com/user/DeitelTV), and subscribe to the Deitel® Buzz Online newsletter (www.deitel.com/newsletter/subscribe.html). « less
Debug and secure your Android applications with Android Studio
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Explore the foundations of security and learn how to apply these measures to create secure applications using Android Studio
* Create effective test cases, unit tests, and functional tests to ensure your Android applications function correctly
* Optimize the performance of your app more » by debugging and using high-quality code
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
If you are a developer with some Android knowledge, but you do not know how to test your applications using Android Studio, this book will guide you. It is recommended that you are familiar with Android Studio IDE.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Control the execution of your Android application by working with the debugging environment in Android Studio
* Mitigate the existing vulnerabilities in Android applications
* Create unit tests to verify the state and behavior of an activity
* Use local storage and encryption appropriately to preserve the privacy of your application data
* Ensure that communications between your applications and external servers are safe by protecting network connections
* Choose the appropriate authentication method for your Android application
* Set up the test environment to create test cases
* Create functional tests to check the interaction between components
Today, mobile applications are increasingly being used to access the Web. Mobile developers play a key role in how consumers access the Web with millions of people depending on them to create secure and functional applications. This book, beginning with the fundamentals of Android security, will guide you through the process of creating a secure and debugged application. We will look at the Android Studio development environment and take you through the steps needed to protect your local data and secure your network communications.
Initially covering the threats, risks, and vulnerabilities in software and in the Android environment, this book will then dig deeper, exploring different types of authentication methods that can be adopted in your Android application. You will be introduced to techniques and classes to test your application, before finally learning about supporting tools that will help you to improve your application.
By the end of this book, your Android application will be debugged and secure and you will be able to apply what you've learned to further application projects. « less
Create visually appealing applications using the new IntelliJ IDE Android Studio
Mobile apps have become extremely popular over the last few years and offer a great opportunity for developers. Android is now one of the most popular mobile systems in the world. The new Android Studio IDE has introduced a specialized development environment, welcomed by the emerging Android community, more » which is perfect for the development of apps.
Android Studio Application Development is a practical guide that will show you how to develop and build Android apps using this new, integrated development environment. Following a tutorial approach, this book will progress from the basics features up until the steps to build for release, using real world examples. This book is a must have for every Android app developer evangelist. « less