Build real-world, production-ready solutions in Go using cutting-edge technology and techniques
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Get up to date with Go and write code capable of delivering massive world-class scale performance and availability
* Learn to apply the nuances of the Go language, and get to know the open source community that surrounds it to implement a wide range of start-up quality projects
* more » Write interesting and clever but simple code, and learn skills and techniques that are directly transferrable to your own projects
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
If you are familiar with Go and are want to put your knowledge to work, then this is the book for you. Go programming knowledge is a must.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Build quirky and fun projects from scratch while exploring patterns, practices, and techniques, as well as a range of different technologies
* Create websites and data services capable of massive scale using Go's net/http package, exploring RESTful patterns as well as low-latency WebSocket APIs
* Interact with a variety of remote web services to consume capabilities ranging from authentication and authorization to a fully functioning thesaurus
* Develop high-quality command-line tools that utilize the powerful shell capabilities and perform well using Go's in-built concurrency mechanisms
* Build microservices for larger organizations using the Go Kit library
* Implement a modern document database as well as high-throughput messaging queue technology to put together an architecture that is truly ready to scale
* Write concurrent programs and gracefully manage the execution of them and communication by smartly using channels
* Get a feel for app deployment using Docker and Google App Engine
Go is the language of the Internet age, and the latest version of Go comes with major architectural changes. Implementation of the language, runtime, and libraries has changed significantly. The compiler and runtime are now written entirely in Go. The garbage collector is now concurrent and provides dramatically lower pause times by running in parallel with other Go routines when possible.
This book will show you how to leverage all the latest features and much more. This book shows you how to build powerful systems and drops you into real-world situations. You will learn to develop high-quality command-line tools that utilize the powerful shell capabilities and perform well using Go's in-built concurrency mechanisms. Scale, performance, and high availability lie at the heart of our projects, and the lessons learned throughout this book will arm you with everything you need to build world-class solutions. You will get a feel for app deployment using Docker and Google App Engine. Each project could form the basis of a start-up, which means they are directly applicable to modern software markets.
STYLE AND APPROACH
This book provides fun projects that involve building applications from scratch. These projects will teach you to build chat applications, a distributed system, and a recommendation system. « less
Master the full range of development features provided by Google App Engine to build and run scalable web applications in Python
Google App Engine is a key component of the Google Cloud Platform and one of the most comprehensive cloud services. Together with Python, the first programming language ever supported by the platform, Google App Engine favors rapid development, significantly contributing to the success of your projects.
This more » book will guide you through the Google Cloud Platform starting from the basics all the way through successfully designing, building, and running modern and scalable web applications in Python with Google App Engine. From authentication to data storage, and from asynchronous jobs to server push techniques, you will learn how to use services such as datastore, cloud storage, Cloud SQL, task queues and channels in a Python application based on web frameworks such as Webapp2 and Django. As the topics in this book are covered in a step-by-step fashion, you will get to grips with the information quickly and easily. « less
Build & Run Scalable Web Applications on Google's Infrastructure
Google App Engine makes it easy to create a web application that can serve millions of people as easily as serving hundreds, with minimal up-front investment. With Programming Google App Engine, Google engineer Dan Sanderson provides practical guidance for designing and developing your application on more » Google's vast infrastructure, using App Engine's scalable services and simple development model.
Through clear and concise instructions, you'll learn how to get the most out of App Engine's nearly unlimited computing power. This second edition is fully updated and expanded to cover Python 2.7 and Java 6 support, multithreading, asynchronous service APIs, and the use of frameworks such as Django 1.3 and webapp2. « less
Programming Google AppEngine
Join the next wave of Web 2.0 software development in the cloud! Cloud applications are the next big shift in application development: instead of building single-user applications to run on a personal computer, new applications are being built as multi-user services that run in data centers around the more » world. One of the most exciting new environments for building services in the cloud is Google's AppEngine. AppEngine is a powerful, easy-to-use framework for developing cloud-based services. This book will teach you what you need to make the shift to cloud development using AppEngine. « less
Build and Run Scalable Web Apps on Google's Infrastructure
As one of today's cloud computing services, Google App Engine does more than provide access to a large system of servers. It also offers you a simple model for building applications that scale automatically to accommodate millions of users. With Programming Google App Engine, you'll get expert practical more » guidance that will help you make the best use of this powerful platform. Google engineer Dan Sanderson shows you how to design your applications for scalability, including ways to perform common development tasks using App Engine's APIs and scalable services.
You'll learn about App Engine's application server architecture, runtime environments, and scalable datastore for distributing data, as well as techniques for optimizing your application. App Engine offers nearly unlimited computing power, and this book provides clear and concise instructions for getting the most from it right from the source. « less
Building Web Applications
With this book, you can build exciting, scalable web applications quickly and confidently, using Google App Engine -- even if you have little or no experience in programming or web development. Using Google App Engine provides an overview of the tools necessary to use Google App Engine, including Python, more » HTML, Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), and HTTP. You'll also learn what's required to deploy your applications to Google servers. « less