Build rich, high production value mobile games and distribute them across different platforms with Buildbox
* Create captivating 2D & 2.5D (isometric) video games for all platforms
* Leverage Buildbox to monetize and prepare your games for distribution
* This step-by-step tutorial will get you generating complex and media rich games with no coding experience
Buildbox is more » an any skill level development platform to develop video games with no coding experience. It also exports these games to be compiled for any platform (from Windows to Mac to iOS to Android and Blackberry) all using the same graphic user interface.
Using an example as a tutorial, we will relate the driving principles and you ll see how you can implement these principles to develop any games on the platform. We begin by setting expectations and providing a brief overview of the software. But it s not long before you dive in to creating your first video game. You will actually have a playable level ( world ) by the end of the second chapter.
Later on, you ll learn everything from basic graphics creation to advanced world design while you refine your first game, called Ramblin Rover. All along the way, you will see how certain functions could be used in tandem to create other types of games; hoping to spark imagination. We will follow the principles and process of monetization through ads and in-game rewards.
Lastly, we will go through the process of exporting, compiling, and preparing your storefront to sell the games you will eventually create.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Create the illusion of a 3D background in your game using parallax
* Add advanced controls and obstacles to our first world
* Develop assets (graphic and audio) for the Buildbox engine
* Design games based on the capabilities and limitations of Buildbox and their target platforms
* Compile and distribute video games on various channels such as Steam, iOS store, Android stores, and the Mac App Store
* Optimize your games to get the absolute best quality within platform restrictions
* Conquer common issues experienced with Buildbox development
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Ty Audronis has been creating games and interactive experiences on computers since 1980. When other children were earning money for trips to convenience stores and arcades by raking leaves or mowing lawns, Ty was helping neighbors buy computers, and programming games for the neighborhood kids on an Atari 800 computer.
In the 1990s, Ty was introduced to the Internet and was attending California State University, Chico, as a visual effects major. He had an epiphany; one day there will be no difference between film, television, games, and the Internet. Everything will converge. As a result, Ty diversified his education (and career) into all things media. Luckily for Ty, he was right.
He s worked on several apps and games for various clients using several different development platforms. Ty has worked in many great institutions (from Frog Design to California Academy of Sciences and beyond). Ty has been recognized in several industries for his artistic and technical exploits and abilities. These include studio design, workflow design, post-production for TV/film, marketing, digital design and development, and even as a drone pilot and builder.
Ty has authored two other books for Packt Publishing: Lightning Fast Animation with Element 3D and Building Multicopter Video Drones.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. So, You Want to Develop a Video Game?
3. Your First Game Ramblin Rover, Part 1
4. Advanced World Design Ramblin Rover, Part 2
5. Menus, UIs, Sound, and More! Ramblin Rover, Part 3
6. Monetization Ramblin Rover, Part 4
7. Exporting and Compiling for Various Platforms R « less
Principles and Practices
Welcome to Game Audio Programming: Principles and Practices! This book is the first of its kind: an entire book dedicated to the art of game audio programming. With over fifteen chapters written by some of the top game audio programmers and sound designers in the industry, this book contains more knowledge more » and wisdom about game audio programming than any other volume in history.
One of the goals of this book is to raise the general level of game audio programming expertise, so it is written in a manner that is accessible to beginners, while still providing valuable content for more advanced game audio programmers. Each chapter contains techniques that the authors have used in shipping games, with plenty of code examples and diagrams. There are chapters on the fundamentals of audio representation and perception; advanced usage of several different audio middleware platforms (Audiokinetic Wwise, CRI ADX2, and FMOD Studio); advanced topics including Open Sound Control, Vector-Based Amplitude Panning, and Dynamic Game Data; and more!
Whether you’re an audio programmer looking for new techniques, an up-and-coming game developer looking for an area to focus on, or just the one who got saddled with the audio code, this book has something for you. « less
* Learn the key concepts of game development in iOS
* Take advantage of SpriteKit to create your own games and improve your apps
* Follow the step-by-step chapters to create a complete product ready to submit to the App Store
SpriteKit is Apple's game engine to develop more » native iOS games. Strongly boosted by the Apple Inc., Cupertino, it has increased in popularity since its first release. This book shows you the solutions provided by SpriteKit to help you create any 2D game you can imagine and apply them to create animations that will highlight your existing apps.
This book will give you the knowledge you need to apply SpriteKit to your existing apps or create your own games from scratch.
Throughout the book, you will develop a complete game. The beautiful designs implemented in the game in this book will easily lead you to learn the basis of 2D game development, including creating and moving sprites, and adding them to a game scene. You will also discover how to apply advanced techniques such as collision detection, action execution, playing music, or running animations to give a more professional aspect to the game. You will finish your first game by learning how to add a main menu and a tutorial, as well as saving and loading data from and to the player's device.
Finally, you will find out how to apply some mobile games techniques such as accelerometer use or touch detection.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Create and configure a SpriteKit project from scratch
* Load and manage the basic elements of games such as sprites, labels, and geometrical primitives
* Handle touch events, detect collisions, and play sound audio files
* Create complex elements, animate sprites, and run the parallax effect
* Complete your games with key components such as a main menu, transitions between scenes, a tutorial, and the ability to load and save data
* Increase the efficiency of your device using the accelerometer or by adding shaders, lights, and shadows
* Gain complementary techniques such as creating or finding audio resources, applying SpriteKit to apps, or using third-party tools
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Jorge Jordan is an iOS indie developer who's passionate about how things work since his childhood. This is the reason why he graduated in computer science and became a Java developer. After buying his first iPhone, he became deeply interested in its technology and spent his spare time learning how to develop apps for Apple's smartphones.
Over time, he founded www.insaneplatypusgames.com, where he tries to make his dreams and games come true. He is also a member of the tutorial team at www.raywenderlich.com.
Also, he has worked on a book titled Cocos2d Game Development Blueprints, Packt Publishing.
In his free time, he loves to play video games, play bass guitar, and watch TV series.
You can follow him on Twitter; his Twitter handle is @jjordanarenas.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. The First Step toward SpriteKit
2. What Makes a Game a Game?
3. Taking Games One Step Further
4. From Basic to Professional Games
5. Utilizing the Hardware and Graphics Processor
6. Auxiliary Techniques « less
Sams Teach Yourself
In just 24 lessons of one hour or less, learn how to start using Unreal Engine 4 to build amazing games for Windows, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, iOS, Android, the web, Linux–or all of them!
Sams Teach Yourself Unreal Engine 4 Game Development in 24 Hours’ straightforward, step-by-step approach shows you how more » to work with Unreal Engine 4’s interface, its workflows, and its most powerful editors and tools. In just hours you’ll be creating effects, scripting warfare, implementing physics–even developing for mobile devices and HUDs. Every lesson builds on what you’ve already learned, giving you a rock-solid foundation for real-world success.
* Organize new projects and work with the Gameplay Framework
* Master Unreal’s units and control systems
* Import 3D models and work with the Static Mesh Editor
* Create new landscapes and use Unreal’s foliage system
* Bring characters and creatures to life with the Persona Editor
* Apply materials and build lighting
* Integrate and modify audio with the Unreal Sound Cue Editor
* Craft particle effects and simulate physics
* Set up and react to player inputs
* Build levels and entirely new worlds
* Get started with powerful Blueprint visual scripting system
* Script an arcade game from start to finish
* Create events that respond to player actions
* Spawn Actors during gameplay
* Design and create action-based encounters
* Optimize games for mobile devices and touch-based inputs
* Build menus with Unreal’s UMG UI Designer
* Prepare your game for deployment
Step-by-step instructions carefully walk you through the most common Unreal Engine 4 game development tasks.
Practical, hands-on examples show you how to apply what you learn.
Quizzes and Exercises help you test your knowledge and stretch your skills.
Notes and tips point out shortcuts and solutions.
All the project files and assets you'll need are available for download, including "before-and-after" files demonstrating initial setup and proper completion for every exercise. « less
Apple's Logic Pro X levels the playing field, making high-quality studio recordings accessible for any musician. It's a professional-level tool with a user-friendly interface and loads of new features to keep you more organized so you can focus on creating rather than computing. Record live audio and more » MIDI tracks and edit faster with the new Mixer. Create your own drum kit, or work with the native virtual session drummer. Add flavor to your sound with new Pedalboard stompboxes, and fine-tune it all with Flex Pitch. You'll let loose with Logic Pro X and let your creativity flow with help from For Dummies. « less
Make Your Apps Come Alive with Dynamic Audio
Sound gives your native, web, or mobile apps that extra dimension, and it's essential for games. Rather than using canned samples from a sample library, learn how to build sounds from the ground up and produce them for web projects using the Pure Data programming language. Even better, you'll be able more » to integrate dynamic sound environments into your native apps or games-sound that reacts to the app, instead of sounding the same every time. Start your journey as a sound designer, and get the power to craft the sound you put into your digital experiences.
Add sound effects or music to your web, Android, and iOS apps and games--sound that can react to changing environments or user input dynamically (at least in the native apps). You can do all this with Pure Data, a visual programming language for digital sound processing. « less
Create your own exciting applications with 10 fantastic projects
* Create your own mobile games and apps using LiveCode
* Develop user interfaces for mobile devices
* Use databases and advanced features of LiveCode
There are over 2,000 programming languages and several that can be used to program mobile applications. LiveCode has proven more » itself a strong competitor in the mobile application development market. The power of this easy-to-learn programming environment will get you starting developing mobile apps from the very first chapter.
"LiveCode Mobile Development Hotshot” is a project-based guide to developing games and other apps for mobile devices using LiveCode. You will learn tricks and techniques for tackling even the most difficult mobile application topics. Best of all, you will be provided with 100% of the source code and have it explained too.
"LiveCode Mobile Development Hotshot" will present you with ten exciting projects that will expose you to different LiveCode programming techniques for mobile application development. The hands-on approach provides you with clear, step-by-step instructions in each chapter where a different type of mobile app is tackled. You will enhance your current knowledge of this programming language and build upon it by learning specific techniques and programming approaches to developing mobile applications. You will create your own calculator app, learn how to use menus for mobile apps, and design user interfaces that are optimized for mobile users. In the following projects, you will create a quiz game and learn how to use LiveCode to develop an entire game on one card. Other projects will look at using randomization and animation, as well as database control. Among the advanced features, you will learn about gathering information about a user's device, how to create contextually aware objects, how to transfer scripts, how to use custom properties, how you can analyze and manipulate text, and how to use arrays.
"LiveCode Mobile Development Hotshot" is a complete solution for people that are familiar with LiveCode and want to start developing mobile apps.
What you will learn from this book
* Create your first mobile app – Hello Planet!
* Develop user interfaces
* How to use math in mobile applications
* Discover how to use custom menus
* Optimize graphics for app efficiency and speed
* Incorporate animation and sound
* Incorporate in-app purchases and advertising
* Create a quiz game
* Explore how to use databases
A practical guide written in a tutorial-style, "LiveCode Mobile Development Hotshot" walks you step-by-step through 10 individual projects. Every project is divided into sub tasks to make learning more organized and easy to follow along with explanations, diagrams, screenshots, and downloadable material.
Who this book is written for
This book is great for anyone who wants to develop mobile applications using LiveCode. You should be familiar with LiveCode and have access to a smartphone. You are not expected to know how to create graphics or audio clips. « less
An App-Driven Approach
The professional programmer’s Deitel® guide to Android™ smartphone and tablet app development and the Eclipse IDE with the Android Development Tools (ADT) plug-in
Billions of apps have been downloaded from Android Market! This book gives you everything you’ll need to start developing great Android more » apps quickly and getting them published on Android Market. The book uses an app-driven approach—each new technology is discussed in the context of 16 fully tested Android apps, complete with syntax coloring, code walkthroughs and sample outputs. Apps you’ll develop include:
* SpotOn Game
* Flag Quiz
* Route Tracker
* Favorite Twitter® Searches
* Address Book
* Tip Calculator
* Weather Viewer
* Cannon Game
* Voice Recorder
* Pizza Ordering
Practical, example-rich coverage of:
* Smartphone and Tablet Apps, Android Development Tools (ADT) Plug-In for Eclipse
* Activities, Intents, Content Providers
* GUI Components, Menus, Toasts, Resource Files, Touch and Gesture Processing
* Tablet Apps, ActionBar and AppWidgets
* Tweened Animations, Property Animations
* Camera, Audio, Video, Graphics, OpenGL ES
* Gallery and Media Library Access
* SharedPreferences, Serialization, SQLite
* Handlers and Multithreading, Games
* Google Maps, GPS, Location Services, Sensors
* Internet-Enabled Apps, Web Services, Telephony, Bluetooth®
* Speech Synthesis and Recognition
* Android Market, Pricing, Monetization
* And more…
PLUS: Register your product at www.informit.com/register for additional online chapters that cover Android Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4), including a complete, working Ice Cream Sandwich app!
* For information on Deitel’s Dive Into® Series instructor-led programming language training courses offered at customer sites worldwide visit www.deitel.com/training or write to email@example.com
* Download code examples
* Check out the growing list of programming Resource Centers
* Join the Deitel Twitter (@deitel) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/DeitelFan) communities
* To receive updates for this book, subscribe to the free Deitel ® Buzz Online e-mail newsletter at www.deitel.com/newsletter/subscribe.html « less
This training package - complete with full-color book and instructional video - is the easiest way to learn HTML5!
This personal training course uses a full-color book plus video tutorials to teach you how to design compelling websites and web apps, develop your coding skills, and take full advantage of the new web standards for creating rich multimedia experiences. This book starts at a foundational level with an introduction to HTML5 before moving on to more advanced topics like creating HTML5 forms, using geo location, implementing drag-and-drop, utilizing the Canvas element to create 2D and 3D graphics, and more.
* Includes 15 lessons in full-color covering introductory to advanced HTML5 topics plus video tutorials and sample files that allow you to test your skills and work at your own pace
* Fully updated for the latest HTML5 specifications and browser capabilities
* Covers the basics of creating web pages with HTML5, formatting text and layouts with CSS3, using web fonts, understanding HTML5 markup, and optimizing your site for viewing on mobile devices
Get comfortable with writing and reviewing HTML5 compliant code and put your web development skills to work today with HTML5 Digital Classroom.
NOTE: DVD and other supplementary materials are not included as part of eBook file. These materials are available for download upon purchase. « less
Applications to Speech and Audio Coding
This book presents tools and algorithms required to compress / uncompress signals such as speech and music. These algorithms are largely used in mobile phones, DVD players, HDTV sets, etc.
In a first rather theoretical part, this book presents the standard tools used in compression systems: scalar more » and vector quantization, predictive quantization, transform quantization, entropy coding. In particular we show the consistency between these different tools. The second part explains how these tools are used in the latest speech and audio coders. The third part gives Matlab programs simulating these coders. « less