Designing for 3D Printing, Laser Cutting, and Personal Fabrication
If you've arrived at a stage in your creative life where you're ready to do more with your computer, it's time to learn how to combine its power with new advances in computer-aided design (CAD) and fabrication to make something awesome--in three dimensions!
The free suite of Autodesk 123D software more » offers all the tools you need to capture or design three-dimensional objects and characters. This book tells you how to harness that power to print or fabricate just about anything you can imagine.
Want to make something mechanical or structural that's based on precise measurements? 123D Design can help! Ready to create something cool based on a character, an organic shape, or something found in nature? 123D Catch, 123D Meshmixer, and 123D Sculpt+ will assist.
Learn how to use these tools, plus 123D Make--perfect for prototyping designs you'll cut with a CNC mill--to take your creativity to a new level.
An ideal book for Makers, hobbyists, students, artists, and designers (including beginners!), this book opens up the inexpensive world of personal fabrication to everyone.
In 3D CAD with Autodesk 123D, you’ll:
* Meet the classic "Stanford bunny" and learn to modify it with Meshmixer
* Scan and 3D print anything around you
* Design your own 3D-printed guitar
* Find models in the Sculpt+ community and make a skeleton!
* Build a birdhouse, prototype a playground, or create a statue
* Learn everything from basics to troubleshooting skills
* Get started making right away « less
The ultimate guide to Revit Architecture just got even better Mastering Autodesk Revit 2017 for Architecture is the bestselling guide for Revit Architecture users of all levels, with focused discussions, detailed exercises, and compelling real-world examples. This new edition has been completely revamped more » based on reader and Revit Architecture instructor feedback to be more useful, more complete, and more approachable than ever. Organized by real-world workflow, practical tutorials guide you through each phase of a project to help you understand BIM concepts and quickly start accomplishing vital Revit Architecture tasks. From templates, work-sharing, and project management, to modeling, documentation, annotation, and complex structures, this book provides full coverage of essential Revit Architecture tools and processes. The companion website features before-and-after tutorials, additional advanced content, and an hour of video instruction to help you quickly master crucial techniques.
* Learn up-to-date Revit Architecture workflows and processes
* Master modeling, massing, and other visualization techniques
* Work with complex structural elements and advanced detailing
* Prepare for Autodesk certification exams
Building information modeling pairs the visual design representation with a parametric database that stores all geometry, spatial relationships, materials, and other data generated by the design process. Design changes instantly update all documentation, and it's this efficiency that makes BIM the new permanent paradigm. Whether you're studying for a certification exam or navigating the switch from CAD, Mastering Autodesk Revit 2017 for Architecture is your number-one guide to getting up and running quickly. « less
The perfect reference for all AutoCAD users AutoCAD 2015 and AutoCAD LT 2015 Bible is the book you want to have close at hand to answer those day-to-day questions about this industry-leading software. Author and Autodesk University instructor Ellen Finkelstein guides readers through AutoCAD 2015 and more » AutoCAD LT 2015 with clear, easy-to-understand instruction and hands-on tutorials that allow even total beginners to create a design on their very first day. Although simple and fundamental enough to be used by those new to CAD, the book is so comprehensive that even Autodesk power users will want to keep a copy on their desks.
Here is what you'll find inside the book:
* Part I: Introducing AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT Basics
* Part II: Drawing in Two Dimensions
* Part III: Working with Data
* Part IV: Drawing in Three Dimensions
* Part V: Organizing and Managing Drawings
* Part VI: Customizing AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT
* Part VII: Programming AutoCAD
* Part VIII: Appendixes
* Appendix A: Installing and Configuring AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT
* Appendix B: AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT Resources
In addition, the book also explores advanced techniques like programming with AutoLISP and VBA, and demonstrates AutoCAD 2015 customization that can smooth workflow. The companion website contains real-world drawings for each tutorial, plus bonus chapters and video tutorials. If you need to become an AutoCAD guru, AutoCAD 2015 and AutoCAD LT 2015 Bible is the one resource that will get you there quickly. « less
No Experience Required
Learn Revit Architecture the hands-on way For those who like to learn by doing, this Autodesk Official Press book shows you how to build a four-story office building one step at a time, providing you with real-world practice you might expect to encounter on the job. Concise explanations, focused examples, more » step-by-step instructions, and an engaging hands-on tutorial make this book the perfect way to learn Revit Architecture. In addition, you can download starting files for each chapter from the website in order to compare your work to the authors, or start fresh with any chapter in the book.
Expert author Eric Wing first introduces the interface and Revit conventions, and then moves directly into building modeling. You'll learn to place walls, doors, and windows, work with structural grids, beams, and foundations; add text and dimensions, and use dimensions as a design tool. As the building takes shape, you'll discover how to generate construction documentation, create schedules, work with families, consider site issues, and use Revit's rendering capabilities. Here are some of the skills you can acquire from this book:
* Understanding Revit's interface, views, and grids
* Creating and editing roofs, railings, stairs, and ceilings
* Generating documentation and construction schedules
* Using advanced features like creating hosted families, system families, and formulas
Autodesk Revit Architecture: No Experience Required is a completely self-paced guide. You can work along with the tutorial from cover to cover or jump in anywhere. No matter how you use this book, you'll be able to transfer the useful concepts to your professional practice. « less
The recent digital and mobile revolutions are a minor blip compared to the next wave of technological change, as everything from robot swarms to skin-top embeddable computers and bio printable organs start appearing in coming years. In this collection of inspiring essays, designers, engineers, and researchers more » discuss their approaches to experience design for groundbreaking technologies.
Design not only provides the framework for how technology works and how it’s used, but also places it in a broader context that includes the total ecosystem with which it interacts and the possibility of unintended consequences. If you’re a UX designer or engineer open to complexity and dissonant ideas, this book is a revelation.
* Stephen Anderson, PoetPainter, LLC
* Lisa Caldwell, Brazen UX
* Martin Charlier, Independent Design Consultant
* Jeff Faneuff, Carbonite
* Andy Goodman, Fjord US
* Camille Goudeseune, Beckman Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
* Bill Hartman, Essential Design
* Steven Keating, MIT Media Lab, Mediated Matter Group
* Brook Kennedy, Virginia Tech
* Dirk Knemeyer, Involution Studios
* Barry Kudrowitz, University of Minnesota
* Gershom Kutliroff, Omek Studio at Intel
* Michal Levin, Google
* Matt Nish-Lapidus, Normative
* Erin Rae Hoffer, Autodesk
* Marco Righetto, SumAll
* Juhan Sonin, Involution Studios
* Scott Stropkay, Essential Design
* Scott Sullivan, Adaptive Path
* Hunter Whitney, Hunter Whitney and Associates, Inc.
* Yaron Yanai, Omek Studio at Intel « less
Learn Autodesk Maya from an award-winning insider
Best-selling author, visual effects supervisor, and technical educator Dariush Derakhshani brings you a newly-updated, step-by-step guide to the most popular and complex 3D application on the market, Autodesk Maya. Introducing Autodesk Maya 2015 includes more » straightforward lessons, real-world examples, detailed tutorials, and downloadable project files that get you modeling and animating your own digital models and scenes right away.
The book starts you with the latest CG concepts and production workflows, and then shows you how to create a solar system to help get you acquainted with the basic tool set in Maya. From there, the books helps you:
* Learn the Maya user interface, including menus and plug-ins
* Build simple animations and 3D images right away
* Explore polygons, modeling, and NEX tools
* Get started with HDRI lighting, rendering, dynamics, simulations, and effects
Whether you're new to 3D or migrating from another 3D application, Introducing Autodesk Maya 2015 will kick-start your creativity and get you up and running with Maya. Author Derakhshani has worked on movies such as The Fantastic Four and Pan's Labyrinth, the South Park TV series, and numerous commercials and music videos. « less
Learn crucial AutoCAD tools and techniques with this Autodesk Official Press Book
Quickly become productive using AutoCAD 2014 and AutoCAD LT 2014 with this full color Autodesk Official Press guide. This unique learning resource features concise, straightforward explanations and real-world, hands-on more » exercises and tutorials. Following a quick discussion of concepts and goals, each chapter moves on to an approachable hands-on exercise designed to reinforce real-world tactics and techniques. Compelling, full-color screenshots illustrate tutorial steps, and chapters conclude with related and more open-ended projects to further reinforce the chapter's lessons.
Starting and ending files for the exercises are also available for download, so you can compare your results with those of professionals. You'll follow a workflow-based approach that mirrors the development of projects in the real world, learning 2D drawing skills, editing entities, working with splines and polylines, using layers and objects, creating and editing text, dimensioning, modeling in 3D, and much more.
* Hands-on exercises and their downloadable tutorial files are based on the real-world task of drawing a house
* Covers crucial features and techniques, including 2D drawing working with layers, organizing objects with groups and blocks, using hatch patterns and gradients, using constraints and layouts, importing data, 3D modeling, and
* Includes content to help prepare you for Autodesk's AutoCAD certification program
AutoCAD 2014 and AutoCAD LT 2014 Essentials is the Autodesk Official Press guide that helps you quickly and confidently learn the newest version of AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT. « less
Autodesk Official Press
The ultimate reference and tutorial to harness the power of Revit MEP
This Autodesk Official Press book will help you develop your expertise with Revit MEP's core concepts and functionality. Based on the authors' years of real-world experience, this comprehensive reference and tutorial has been updated more » to cover all of the new features of Revit MEP, and includes best practices, techniques, tips, tricks, and real-world exercises to help you hone your skills.
* Shows how to use the interface effectively, explains how to create and use project templates, and details ways you can improve efficiency with worksharing and collaboration
* Addresses generating schedules that show quantities, materials, design dependencies, and more
* Looks at creating logical air, water, and fire protection systems; evaluating building loads; and placing air and water distribution equipment
* Covers lighting, power receptacles and equipment, communication outlets and systems, and circuiting and panels
* Zeroes in on creating water systems, plumbing fixtures and their connectors, water piping, and more
Featuring real-world scenarios and hands-on tutorials, this Autodesk Official Press book features downloadable before-and-after tutorial files so that you can compare your finished work to that of the professionals. It's the perfect resource for becoming a Revit MEP expert. « less
Learn AutoCAD LT 2002 presents a step-by-step approach to learning the basics of 2D drafting with the newest version of AutoCAD LT, the popular entry-level computer-aided design software from Autodesk. Best-selling AutoCAD LT author Ralph Grabowski begins with an overview of AutoCAD LT 2002 and progressively more » demonstrates how to create two drawing projects: a landscape plan and an electrical schematic. Among the topics discussed are placing blocks and other objects using AutoCAD’s DesignCenter, opening and saving drawings on the Web, and transmitting drawings by e-mail. Features that make this book appropriate for those new to AutoCAD LT include review questions and exercises at the end of each chapter to test your newfound knowledge. The appendixes contain a comprehensive list of AutoCAD LT 2002 commands and a comparison with AutoCAD 2002 features.
The companion CD-ROM contains a 15-day trial version of AutoCAD LT 2002 from Autodesk; Real Architect LITE, a scaled-down version of an architectural add-on product from Straight Forward Software; and all files needed to continue the landscape and electrical schematic projects. « less