Make the most of game development features powered by LibGDX and create a side-scrolling action game, Thrust Copter
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Utilize the robust features of LibGDX to easily create and publish cross-platform 2D and 3D games that involve complicated physics
* Be the best cross-platform game developer with the ability to create rich interactive applications on all the leading platforms
* Develop a 2D side more » scrolling game, Thrust Copter, add physics, and try to convert it to 3D while working on interesting LibGDX experiments
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
If you are a Java developer who wants to learn LibGDX and create great games, then this book is for you. To take full advantage of this book, you are expected to be familiar with Java or any other object-oriented language. Experience of using Eclipse will be very useful.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Wire up Eclipse with ADT, Gradle, and other relevant plugins
* Set up, upgrade, and maintain a Gradle-based LibGDX project
* Develop a complete Flappy Bird-like game, Thrust Copter, while learning about all of the relevant packages in LibGDX
* Create the menu and UI of the game using Scene2D
* Use the Particle Editor and add smoke and explosion effects to the game
* Convert the game to use Box2D physics in place of custom code
* Play with simple 3D scene experiments with integrated bullet physics
* Publish the game to Google Play, the App Store, and the Web
This book focuses on teaching LibGDX and its incredible features with a balanced mix of theory and practice. As you proceed through the book, you will create a 2D game in parallel and work on active coding as well. The source code of the game and all the experiments that are done in the book are also provided to get you started quickly and easily.
The game you will develop is a simple one, aimed at helping beginners learn the basics from start to finish. You will develop the complete game and as a next step you will integrate the Box2D physics engine by replacing the existing code. The book teaches you how to create GUI elements using Scene2D and helps you with everything that is involved, from the creation to the publishing of a game. In later chapters, you will learn about 3D in LibGDX and 3D physics using Bullet. The final chapter details the process involved in publishing the game to Google lPlay, Apple App Store, PC, and the Web.The book covers al the relevant topics of LibGDX game development but makes sure that even a beginner can easily follow the development with the help of sample code and illustrations. « less
Make fun games for any platform using C++, combined with one of the most popular open source frameworks in the world
With Cocos2d-x you don’t have to be a programming whiz to be a genius at game design. This tutorial will help unleash your inner creativity with lots of fun tutorials. Get the know-how to build great cross-platform 2D games.
* Learn to build multi-device games in simple, easy steps, letting more » the framework do all the heavy lifting
* Spice things up in your games with easy to apply animations, particle effects, and physics simulation
* Quickly implement and test your own gameplay ideas, with an eye for optimization and portability
* Enjoy building the games as much as you will enjoy playing them
Cocos2d-x is the C++ port of arguably the most popular open source 2D framework in the world. Its predecessor was limited to the Apple family but with Cocos2d-x you can take your applications to all major app stores, with minimum extra work. Give your games a larger target audience with almost no extra hassle.
"Cocos2d-X by Example Beginner's Guide" allows you to build your own cross platform games using all the benefits of a time tested framework, plus the elegance and simplicity of C++.
Each of the six games developed in this book will take you further on the road to becoming an expert game developer with no fuss and plenty of fun.
Follow six tutorials for six very different games that leverage the ease of Cocos2D-X and its quick implementation, moving from simple ideas to more advanced topics in game development.
In easy-to-follow steps, the book teaches you how to take full advantage of the framework by adding animations and special effects, implementing a physics engine, and optimizing your games.
Prepare your project for multiple platforms and learn how to take your game concepts to completion.
"Cocos2d-X by Example Beginner's Guide" will present to you, in six different games, the topics necessary to build some of the most popular and fun types of games today.
What you will learn from this book
* Make your games look cooler with particle effects
* Create place holder sprites to quickly test your game ideas
* Load external data into your games
* Build game menus and tutorials
* Implement game-wide events with notifications
* Create a dash game with a textured terrain
* Build a Box2D puzzle game with multiple levels
* Create a hybrid iOS and Android project
Get to grips with Cocos2D-X using step-by-step examples. Roger Engelbert will have you smiling throughout and learning valuable information at every turn.
Who this book is written for
If you have brilliant ideas for amazing games and want to bring them to life, then this book is what you need. Work through easy-to-follow examples and learn exactly what you need to know to make your games a reality. No programming experience necessary! « less