* Learn the key concepts of game development in iOS
* Take advantage of SpriteKit to create your own games and improve your apps
* Follow the step-by-step chapters to create a complete product ready to submit to the App Store
SpriteKit is Apple's game engine to develop more » native iOS games. Strongly boosted by the Apple Inc., Cupertino, it has increased in popularity since its first release. This book shows you the solutions provided by SpriteKit to help you create any 2D game you can imagine and apply them to create animations that will highlight your existing apps.
This book will give you the knowledge you need to apply SpriteKit to your existing apps or create your own games from scratch.
Throughout the book, you will develop a complete game. The beautiful designs implemented in the game in this book will easily lead you to learn the basis of 2D game development, including creating and moving sprites, and adding them to a game scene. You will also discover how to apply advanced techniques such as collision detection, action execution, playing music, or running animations to give a more professional aspect to the game. You will finish your first game by learning how to add a main menu and a tutorial, as well as saving and loading data from and to the player's device.
Finally, you will find out how to apply some mobile games techniques such as accelerometer use or touch detection.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Create and configure a SpriteKit project from scratch
* Load and manage the basic elements of games such as sprites, labels, and geometrical primitives
* Handle touch events, detect collisions, and play sound audio files
* Create complex elements, animate sprites, and run the parallax effect
* Complete your games with key components such as a main menu, transitions between scenes, a tutorial, and the ability to load and save data
* Increase the efficiency of your device using the accelerometer or by adding shaders, lights, and shadows
* Gain complementary techniques such as creating or finding audio resources, applying SpriteKit to apps, or using third-party tools
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Jorge Jordan is an iOS indie developer who's passionate about how things work since his childhood. This is the reason why he graduated in computer science and became a Java developer. After buying his first iPhone, he became deeply interested in its technology and spent his spare time learning how to develop apps for Apple's smartphones.
Over time, he founded www.insaneplatypusgames.com, where he tries to make his dreams and games come true. He is also a member of the tutorial team at www.raywenderlich.com.
Also, he has worked on a book titled Cocos2d Game Development Blueprints, Packt Publishing.
In his free time, he loves to play video games, play bass guitar, and watch TV series.
You can follow him on Twitter; his Twitter handle is @jjordanarenas.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. The First Step toward SpriteKit
2. What Makes a Game a Game?
3. Taking Games One Step Further
4. From Basic to Professional Games
5. Utilizing the Hardware and Graphics Processor
6. Auxiliary Techniques « less
Design, develop, and create your own successful iOS games using the Cocos2d game engine
Cocos2d is one of the most popular 2D game engines for the iOS platform. It is packed with powerful features that set it apart from other game engines. It can be used to build games, apps, and other cross-platform GUI-based interactive programs.
This practical guide will develop your skills in designing more » and developing iOS games across several genres. You will start with managing collisions through building a horizontal scroll game for both iPhone and iPad, you will then go through building a shooting game. After that, you will learn how to use the accelerometer to control movement, load particle systems such as explosions, draw primitives, and create parallax effects. We also cover essential elements of the Cocos2d package including sprite sheets, multiple image file loading to animate a sprite, building physics behavior with Chipmunk, using filters and listeners, and providing powerful AI, non-playable characters, and pathfinder algorithms with a cool tower defence game.
***** Who This Book Is For *****
Whether you are a passionate gamer, like developing, or are just curious about game development, this book is for you. The book has been written to teach 2D game development to app developers and to teach Objective-C to game developers, as learning Cocos2d is the perfect step for both roles. « less
Bring your mobile game ideas to life with Cocos2D
About This Book
* Create interactive and fun gaming experiences using Cocos2D and Objective C
* Design impressive animations and import them into your game using SpriteBuilder
* Publish your games to iOS and Android using Apportable
Who This Book Is For
If you are a game developer with experience more » in Objective-C and are interested in creating games for iOS or Android, this is the book for you. It will help you to quickly get started with Cocos2D and guide you through the process of creating a game, giving you the essential skills and knowledge you need to do so.
What You Will Learn
* Use sprites and nodes to create scenes to form the foundation of your game
* Discover how SpriteBuilder and its graphical tools can be used to develop your game and increase its complexity
* Design professional, impressive, and fun-filled animations
* Create an impressive user interface for an engaging gaming experience
* Explore and use physics engines for attractive gameplay and use them to add a professional finish to your game
* Add physics to your game for a more realistic experience
* Accept user input through a variety of methods including touch and accelerometer
Focusing on the multiplatform nature of Cocos2D, this fast, fun, and helpful guide provides you with the best practices and sharpest techniques to turn your ideas into reality.
Beginning with the basics to give you a solid foundation of knowledge, such as how to display sprites on screen and organizing your game into different scenes, you will then discover how to use Cocos2D's in-built graphics editor, SpriteBuilder, to lay out your scenes, design animations, and configure complex physics interactions. You will also find out how to make your game interactive, as the book explores how to accept input touches and the accelerator.
The book is tailored to new users and also those who are upgrading from the old version. « less
Master game development with Cocos2d to develop amazing mobile games for iOS
Cocos2d is one of the world's leading 2D game development engines, letting game developers create awesome games with ease. Its multiplatform capabilities meet the demands of modern game development. If you want to dive into Cocos2d game development and create exciting, high quality games, this book is more » an advanced and reliable resource. Covering the most important game development tools, and guiding you through the development cycle of a complete 2D game, Mastering Cocos2d Game Development will build your confidence and inspire you to go further in game development.
Combining practical steps with detailed insights, this book will help you discover and learn a powerful approach to game development to create exceptional iOS games, tips to create cool content, and how to harness the unique power of Swift. « less
A pragmatic guide for developing your own games with Python
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Strengthen your fundamentals of game programming with Python language
* Seven hands-on games to create 2D and 3D games rapidly from scratch
* Illustrative guide to explore the different GUI libraries for building your games
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
If you have ever wanted to create more » casual games in Python and you would like to explore various GUI technologies that this language offers, this is the book for you. This title is intended for beginners to Python with little or no knowledge of game development, and it covers step by step how to build seven different games, from the well-known Space Invaders to a classical 3D platformer.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Take advantage of Python's clean syntax to build games quickly
* Discover distinct frameworks for developing graphical applications
* Implement non-player characters (NPCs) with autonomous and seemingly intelligent behaviors
* Design and code some popular games like Pong and tower defense
* Compose maps and levels for your sprite-based games in an easy manner
* Modularize and apply object-oriented principles during the design of your games
* Exploit libraries like Chimpunk2D, cocos2d, and Tkinter
* Create natural user interfaces (NUIs), using a camera and computer vision algorithms to interpret the player's real-world actions
With a growing interest in learning to program, game development is an appealing topic for getting started with coding. From geometry to basic Artificial Intelligence algorithms, there are plenty of concepts that can be applied in almost every game. Python is a widely used general-purpose, high-level programming language. It provides constructs intended to enable clear programs on both a small and large scale. It is the third most popular language whose grammatical syntax is not predominantly based on C. Python is also very easy to code and is also highly flexible, which is exactly what is required for game development. The user-friendliness of this language allows beginners to code games without too much effort or training. Python also works with very little code and in most cases uses the “use cases” approach, reserving lengthy explicit coding for outliers and exceptions, making game development an achievable feat.
Python Game Programming by Example enables readers to develop cool and popular games in Python without having in-depth programming knowledge of Python. The book includes seven hands-on projects developed with several well-known Python packages, as well as a comprehensive explanation about the theory and design of each game.
It will teach readers about the techniques of game design and coding of some popular games like Pong and tower defense. Thereafter, it will allow readers to add levels of complexities to make the games more fun and realistic using 3D.
At the end of the book, you will have added several GUI libraries like Chimpunk2D, cocos2d, and Tkinter in your tool belt, as well as a handful of recipes and algorithms for developing games with Python.
STYLE AND APPROACH
This book is an example-based guide that will teach you to build games using Python. This book follows a step-by-step approach as it is aimed at beginners who would like to get started with basic game development. By the end of this book you will be competent game developers with good knowledge of programming in Python. « less
Harness the power of Cocos2D to create your own stunning and engaging games for iOS
***** About This Book *****
* Find practical solutions to many real-world game development problems
* Create games from start to finish by writing code and following detailed step-by-step instructions
* Full of illustrations and diagrams, practical examples, and tips for deeper understanding of more » game development in Cocos2D for iPhone
***** Who This Book Is For *****
If you want to learn how to make games using the Cocos2D framework, this book is for you. If you would like to build a good foundation for a career in game development as an independent game developer or at a game studio, or if you just want to make games as a hobby, then you'll love this book. You should have some basic programming experience with Objective-C and Xcode. To run the code in this book, you will also need an Intel-based Macintosh running OS X Mountain Lion (or later).
***** What You Will Learn *****
* Install Cocos2D and create projects using Cocos2D Xcode templates
* Understand the Cocos2D architecture and its main classes
* Render images and text, move and animate them
* Control your game using touches and a gyroscope
* Create a user interface and navigate between game screens
* Use the physics engine to apply forces and detect collisions
* Add sounds and music and change playback properties
* Integrate your game with Game Center and make In-App purchases
***** In Detail *****
Cocos2D-iPhone (Cocos2D-Swift) is a robust yet simple-touse 2D game framework for iPhone. If you are just starting with game programming, Cocos2D will enable you to make your first game in no time. Even if you are a seasoned game developer, you will still be able to benefit from what Cocos2D offers.
This book will set you on the fast-track to game development with Cocos2D for iPhone. You will start by reviewing the basic classes and hierarchy, dive deep into animations and game flow, and finish by creating a complete game with UI using some advanced techniques.
You will begin the book with an empty Cocos2D project and build on it until you end up with a complete game. The book will teach you how to work on game logic, handling user input, controlling the character, and playing audio. Later, in the final part of the book, we'll have a working game on our hands, and we'll see how we can improve the game further « less
Make fun games for any platform using C++, combined with one of the most popular open source frameworks in the world
With Cocos2d-x you don’t have to be a programming whiz to be a genius at game design. This tutorial will help unleash your inner creativity with lots of fun tutorials. Get the know-how to build great cross-platform 2D games.
* Learn to build multi-device games in simple, easy steps, letting more » the framework do all the heavy lifting
* Spice things up in your games with easy to apply animations, particle effects, and physics simulation
* Quickly implement and test your own gameplay ideas, with an eye for optimization and portability
* Enjoy building the games as much as you will enjoy playing them
Cocos2d-x is the C++ port of arguably the most popular open source 2D framework in the world. Its predecessor was limited to the Apple family but with Cocos2d-x you can take your applications to all major app stores, with minimum extra work. Give your games a larger target audience with almost no extra hassle.
"Cocos2d-X by Example Beginner's Guide" allows you to build your own cross platform games using all the benefits of a time tested framework, plus the elegance and simplicity of C++.
Each of the six games developed in this book will take you further on the road to becoming an expert game developer with no fuss and plenty of fun.
Follow six tutorials for six very different games that leverage the ease of Cocos2D-X and its quick implementation, moving from simple ideas to more advanced topics in game development.
In easy-to-follow steps, the book teaches you how to take full advantage of the framework by adding animations and special effects, implementing a physics engine, and optimizing your games.
Prepare your project for multiple platforms and learn how to take your game concepts to completion.
"Cocos2d-X by Example Beginner's Guide" will present to you, in six different games, the topics necessary to build some of the most popular and fun types of games today.
What you will learn from this book
* Make your games look cooler with particle effects
* Create place holder sprites to quickly test your game ideas
* Load external data into your games
* Build game menus and tutorials
* Implement game-wide events with notifications
* Create a dash game with a textured terrain
* Build a Box2D puzzle game with multiple levels
* Create a hybrid iOS and Android project
Get to grips with Cocos2D-X using step-by-step examples. Roger Engelbert will have you smiling throughout and learning valuable information at every turn.
Who this book is written for
If you have brilliant ideas for amazing games and want to bring them to life, then this book is what you need. Work through easy-to-follow examples and learn exactly what you need to know to make your games a reality. No programming experience necessary! « less
A Platform-Agnostic Approach
Game Programming Algorithms and Techniques is a detailed overview of many of the important algorithms and techniques used in video game programming today. Designed for programmers who are familiar with object-oriented programming and basic data structures, this book focuses on practical concepts that more » see actual use in the game industry.
Sanjay Madhav takes a unique platform- and framework-agnostic approach that will help develop virtually any game, in any genre, with any language or framework. He presents the fundamental techniques for working with 2D and 3D graphics, physics, artificial intelligence, cameras, and much more.
Each concept is illuminated with pseudocode that will be intuitive to any C#, Java, or C++ programmer, and has been refined and proven in Madhav’s game programming courses at the University of Southern California. Review questions after each chapter help solidify the most important concepts before moving on.
Madhav concludes with a detailed analysis of two complete games: a 2D iOS side-scroller (written in Objective-Cusing cocos2d) and a 3D PC/Mac/Linux tower defense game (written in C# using XNA/ MonoGame). These games illustrate many of the algorithms and techniques covered in the earlier chapters, and the full source code is available at gamealgorithms.net.
* Game time management, speed control, and ensuring consistency on diverse hardware
* Essential 2D graphics techniques for modern mobile gaming
* Vectors, matrices, and linear algebra for 3D games
* 3D graphics including coordinate spaces, lighting and shading, z-buffering, and quaternions
* Handling today’s wide array of digital and analog inputs
* Sound systems including sound events, 3D audio, and digital signal processing
* Fundamentals of game physics, including collision detection and numeric integration
* Cameras: first-person, follow, spline, and more
* Artificial intelligence: pathfinding, state-based behaviors, and strategy/planning
* User interfaces including menu systems and heads-up displays
* Scripting and text-based data files: when, how, and where to use them
* Basics of networked games including protocols and network topology « less