Cross-Platform Apps with Ionic 2, Angular 2, and Cordova
Looking to build cross platform mobile applications? This hands-on guide provides a basic introduction and overview to the Ionic Framework, including some new services on the platform. You’ll learn a balanced approach to the mix of technologies—such as AngularJS, SASS, and Apache Cordova—that the Ionic more » Framework leverages. Through the course of this book, you’ll be able to complete several production ready applications. It's ideal for beginning, intermediate, and advanced web developers. « less
* Leverage Ionic 2 and its exciting new features to create cutting edge real-time apps
* Work through simple recipes to address your problems directly and solve them effectively
* Get examples at each step to guide you on your learning curve
Developing real-time apps more » is the need of the hour, and apps that deal with humongous amounts of user data and real-time information that needs to be updated frequently are in high demand. Currently, one of the most popular frameworks for this task is Ionic Framework, which is undergoing a major makeover.
This book will get you started with Ionic and help you create Angular 2 components that interact with templates. From there, you'll work with Ionic components and find out how to share data efficiently between them. You'll discover how to make the best use of the REST API to handle back-end services and then move on to animating the application to make it look pretty.
You'll learn to add in a local push notification in order to test the app. You'll work with Cordova to support native functionalities on both iOS and Android. From there, you'll get to grips with using the default themes for each platform as well as customizing your own. Finally, you'll see how best to deploy your app to different platforms.
This book will solve all your Ionic-related issues through dedicated recipes that will help you get the best out of Ionic.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Create custom UIs using Angular 2 directives
* Make the best use of REST APIs to submit forms
* Create beautiful animations and graphics in the application
* Embed videos and other media into the app
* Access native device functionalities such as a camera and maps using ngCordova
* Theme the application based on the various platform styles available
* Publish your application to a variety of platforms
* Leverage Angular 2 events and Ionic-specific events to communicate
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
He has worked for both start-ups and large companies. By frequently speaking at local meetups as well as cloud computing/big data industry events and conferences, he learns from other experts. He holds an MBA degree from the University of Washington's Michael G. Foster School of Business.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Creating Our First App with Ionic 2
2. Adding Ionic 2 Components
3. Extending Ionic 2 with Angular 2 Building Blocks
4. Validating Forms and Making HTTP Requests
5. Adding Animation
6. User Authentication and Push Notification Using Ionic Cloud
7. Supporting Device Functionalities Using Ionic Native
8. Theming the App
9. Publishing the App for Different Platforms « less
Apache Cordova in Action teaches you to create and launch hybrid mobile apps using Cordova or Phonegap. By following carefully selected examples, step-by-step tutorials, and crystal-clear explanations, you'll learn to build apps from the Cordova CLI, how to make use of device features like more » the camera and accelerometer, how to submit your apps to Google Play and the Apple App Store, and more.
About the Book
Apache Cordova in Action teaches you how to design, create, and launch hybrid mobile apps people will want to use. With the help of straightforward, real-world examples, you'll learn to build apps from the Cordova CLI and to make use of native device features like the camera and accelerometer. You'll learn testing techniques and discover the PhoneGap Build service and how to submit your apps to Google Play and the Apple App Store. Along the way, this helpful guide discusses mobile app design and shows you how to create effective, professional-quality UI and UX.
* Build mobile apps
* UI, UX, and testing techniques
* Deploy to Google Play and the Apple App Store
* Employ libraries like Bootstrap, jQuery Mobile, and Ionic
About the Reader
About the Author
Raymond Camden is a developer advocate for IBM. He is passionate about mobile development and has spoken at conferences worldwide.
The Table of Contents
1. PART 1 GETTING STARTED WITH APACHE CORDOVA
2. What is Cordova?
3. Installing Cordova and the Android SDK
4. PART 2 CORE CONCEPTS
5. Creating Cordova projects
6. Using plugins to access device features
7. Mobile design and user experience
8. Considerations when building mobile apps
9. Tools for debugging Cordova and other hybrid apps
10. Creating custom plugins
11. Packing options for Cordova projects
12. Using PhoneGap tools
13. PART 3 APPLICATION RELEASE
14. Submitting your app
15. Building an RSS reader app with Ionic « less
Create neat cross-platform mobile apps using Apache Cordova and jQuery Mobile
Whether you are developing a mobile app for iPad or on a Windows Phone, you need to learn the specific languages and technologies for that device. This is where Apache Cordova shines.
Written for experienced mobile developers, Apache Cordova 3 Programming is a complete introduction to Apache Cordova 3 and Adobe PhoneGap 3. It describes what makes Cordova important and shows how to install and use the tools, the new Cordova CLI, the native SDKs, and more. If you're brand new to Cordova, more » this book will be just what you need to get started. If you're familiar with an older version of Cordova, this book will show you in detail how to use all of the new stuff that's in Cordova 3 plus stuff that has been around for a while (like the Cordova core APIs).
After walking you through the process of downloading and setting up the framework, mobile expert John M. Wargo shows you how to install and use the command line tools to manage the Cordova application lifecycle and how to set up and use development environments for several of the more popular Cordova supported mobile device platforms. « less