Program audio and sound for Linux using this practical, how-to guide. You will learn how to use DSPs, sampled audio, MIDI, karaoke, streaming audio, and more. Linux Sound Programming takes you through the layers of complexity involved in programming the Linux sound system. You’ll see the large variety more » of tools and approaches that apply to almost every aspect of sound. This ranges from audio codecs, to audio players, to audio support both within and outside of the Linux kernel.
What You'll Learn
* Work with sampled audio
* Handle Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
* Gain knowledge of MIDI
* Build a Karaoke-like application
* Handle streaming audio
Who This Book Is For
Experienced Linux users and programmers interested in doing multimedia with Linux. « less
This second edition of Digital Optical Communications provides a comprehensive treatment of the modern aspects of coherent homodyne and self-coherent reception techniques using algorithms incorporated in digital signal processing (DSP) systems and DSP-based transmitters to overcome several linear and more » nonlinear transmission impairments and frequency mismatching between the local oscillator and the carrier, as well as clock recovery and cycle slips. These modern transmission systems have emerged as the core technology for Tera-bits per second (bps) and Peta-bps optical Internet for the near future.
Featuring extensive updates to all existing chapters, Advanced Digital Optical Communications, Second Edition:
* Contains new chapters on optical fiber structures and propagation, optical coherent receivers, DSP equalizer algorithms, and high-order spectral DSP receivers
* Examines theoretical foundations, practical case studies, and MATLAB® and Simulink® models for simulation transmissions
* Includes new end-of-chapter practice problems and useful appendices to supplement technical information
Downloadable content available with qualifying course adoption
Advanced Digital Optical Communications, Second Edition supplies a fundamental understanding of digital communication applications in optical communication technologies, emphasizing operation principles versus heavy mathematical analysis. It is an ideal text for aspiring engineers and a valuable professional reference for those involved in optics, telecommunications, electronics, photonics, and digital signal processing. « less
Weighing in on the growth of innovative technologies, the adoption of new standards, and the lack of educational development as it relates to current and emerging applications, the third edition of Introduction to Instrumentation and Measurements uses the authors’ 40 years of teaching experience to expound more » on the theory, science, and art of modern instrumentation and measurements (I&M).
What’s New in This Edition:
This edition includes material on modern integrated circuit (IC) and photonic sensors, micro-electro-mechanical (MEM) and nano-electro-mechanical (NEM) sensors, chemical and radiation sensors, signal conditioning, noise, data interfaces, and basic digital signal processing (DSP), and upgrades every chapter with the latest advancements. It contains new material on the designs of micro-electro-mechanical (MEMS) sensors, adds two new chapters on wireless instrumentation and microsensors, and incorporates extensive biomedical examples and problems.
Containing 13 chapters, this third edition:
* Describes sensor dynamics, signal conditioning, and data display and storage
* Focuses on means of conditioning the analog outputs of various sensors
* Considers noise and coherent interference in measurements in depth
* Covers the traditional topics of DC null methods of measurement and AC null measurements
* Examines Wheatstone and Kelvin bridges and potentiometers
* Explores the major AC bridges used to measure inductance, Q, capacitance, and D
* Presents a survey of sensor mechanisms
* Includes a description and analysis of sensors based on the giant magnetoresistive effect (GMR) and the anisotropic magnetoresistive (AMR) effect
* Provides a detailed analysis of mechanical gyroscopes, clinometers, and accelerometers
* Contains the classic means of measuring electrical quantities
* Examines digital interfaces in measurement systems
* Defines digital signal conditioning in instrumentation
* Addresses solid-state chemical microsensors and wireless instrumentation
* Introduces mechanical microsensors (MEMS and NEMS)
* Details examples of the design of measurement systems
Introduction to Instrumentation and Measurements is written with practicing engineers and scientists in mind, and is intended to be used in a classroom course or as a reference. It is assumed that the reader has taken core EE curriculum courses or their equivalents. « less
Digital techniques are central to almost all modern telecommunications systems. The third edition of Digital Communications has retained both its comprehensive coverage and its balance between theory, applications and systems implementation. Its main aim is to develop the mathematical theory of signal more » processing and use this theory to describe modern digital communications.
This text is geared towards students who already have a technical understanding of electrical engineering from their introductory years at university and who wish to focus on digital communications. It covers everything these students will need to know, including modern techniques. It is also suitable for professional engineers. « less
The Digital Signal Processing Handbook
Now available in a three-volume set, this updated and expanded edition of the bestselling The Digital Signal Processing Handbook continues to provide the engineering community with authoritative coverage of the fundamental and specialized aspects of information-bearing signals in digital form. Encompassing more » essential background material, technical details, standards, and software, the second edition reflects cutting-edge information on signal processing algorithms and protocols related to speech, audio, multimedia, and video processing technology associated with standards ranging from WiMax to MP3 audio, low-power/high-performance DSPs, color image processing, and chips on video. Drawing on the experience of leading engineers, researchers, and scholars, the three-volume set contains 29 new chapters that address multimedia and Internet technologies, tomography, radar systems, architecture, standards, and future applications in speech, acoustics, video, radar, and telecommunications.
Emphasizing theoretical concepts, Digital Signal Processing Fundamentals provides comprehensive coverage of the basic foundations of DSP and includes the following parts: Signals and Systems; Signal Representation and Quantization; Fourier Transforms; Digital Filtering; Statistical Signal Processing; Adaptive Filtering; Inverse Problems and Signal Reconstruction; and Time–Frequency and Multirate Signal Processing. « less
The Algorithms such as SVD, Eigen decomposition, Gaussian Mixture Model, HMM etc. are presently scattered in different fields. There remains a need to collect all such algorithms for quick reference. Also there is the need to view such algorithms in application point of view. This book attempts to satisfy more » the above requirement. The algorithms are made clear using MATLAB programs. « less