This book teaches anyone how to use their new Windows computer. You will learn and understand how you can perform a wide range of tasks, including managing files, browsing the internet, and protecting yourself, as well as interacting with Cortana.
Using Absolute Beginners Guide to Computing you will more » learn how to use Windows, and how you can connect and communicate with others. You will learn the basics of browsing the web, how to send email, and sign up for services. You will learn about some of the social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter. You will also learn how to connect and use external hardware, and process digital music, photos, and video.
Written by an author who has written multiple computing titles, this book is friendly and approachable, and can teach anyone how to use a computer. With simple steps, easy troubleshooting, and online resources, it's the best place to learn how to make computing a part of your life.
What You’ll Learn:
How to get pictures onto your computer to share. How to listen to digital music. What clubs, groups, and other resources there are to help. « less
With 28 new chapters, the third edition of The Practice of System and Network Administration innovates yet again! Revised with thousands of updates and clarifications based on reader feedback, this new edition also incorporates DevOps strategies even for non-DevOps environments.
Whether you use Linux, more » Unix, or Windows, this new edition describes the essential practices previously handed down only from mentor to protégé. This wonderfully lucid, often funny cornucopia of information introduces beginners to advanced frameworks valuable for their entire career, yet is structured to help even experts through difficult projects.
Other books tell you what commands to type. This book teaches you the cross-platform strategies that are timeless!
* DevOps techniques: Apply DevOps principles to enterprise IT infrastructure, even in environments without developers
* Game-changing strategies: New ways to deliver results faster with less stress
* Fleet management: A comprehensive guide to managing your fleet of desktops, laptops, servers and mobile devices
* Service management: How to design, launch, upgrade and migrate services
* Measurable improvement: Assess your operational effectiveness; a forty-page, pain-free assessment system you can start using today to raise the quality of all services
* Design guides: Best practices for networks, data centers, email, storage, monitoring, backups and more
* Management skills: Organization design, communication, negotiation, ethics, hiring and firing, and more
Have you ever had any of these problems?
* Have you been surprised to discover your backup tapes are blank?
* Ever spent a year launching a new service only to be told the users hate it?
* Do you have more incoming support requests than you can handle?
* Do you spend more time fixing problems than building the next awesome thing?
* Have you suffered from a botched migration of thousands of users to a new service?
* Does your company rely on a computer that, if it died, can’t be rebuilt?
* Is your network a fragile mess that breaks any time you try to improve it?
* Is there a periodic “hell month” that happens twice a year? Twelve times a year?
* Do you find out about problems when your users call you to complain?
* Does your corporate “Change Review Board” terrify you?
* Does each division of your company have their own broken way of doing things?
* Do you fear that automation will replace you, or break more than it fixes?
* Are you underpaid and overworked?
No vague “management speak” or empty platitudes. This comprehensive guide provides real solutions that prevent these problems and more! « less
Simple Tools to Protect Your Personal Information and Your Identity Online
Who’s watching you online? These days, it’s hard to be sure. But the recent Edward Snowden revelations of NSA data mining and the constant threat of identity theft from criminals mean your privacy is in jeopardy.
The Basics of Digital Privacy teaches you how to protect the privacy of your data and more » your identity while surfing, searching, and interacting with others in a virtual world. Author Denny Cherry teaches professionals how to keep huge databases secure, and he will introduce you to the basic concepts of protecting your identity, your financial data, and your personal information from prying eyes while using your computer and smartphone. You’ll learn how to stay connected and conduct business online, while protecting your privacy with every keystroke and click.
The Basics of Digital Privacy gives you clear, non-technical explanations of how to safely store personal information online, create secure usernames and passwords for websites, and participate in social media without compromising your privacy. Learn how to find out who’s watching you online, and what the law has to say about your privacy rights. A great resource for anyone who ventures into the online world on a daily basis!
* The most straightforward and up-to-date guide to privacy for anyone who goes online for work, school, or personal use
* Real-world examples show you how cyber criminals commit their crimes, and what you can do to keep your identity and your data safe
* Written by author Denny Cherry, who teaches top security professionals how to protect huge databases of information
* Learn the best ways to create secure passwords, chat, text, email and conduct business online without compromising your identity and your personal data « less
Dive into Exchange Server 2010 and SP1 - and discover how to really put your messaging solutions to work! This well-organized and in-depth reference packs all the details you need to deploy and manage Exchange 2010, including hundreds of timesaving solutions, expert tips, and workarounds.Topics include more » preparing for the deployment of Exchange 2010; new features of Service Pack 1; using Remote PowerShell and the Exchange Management Shell; understanding how the new Role Based Access Control (RBAC) permissions model works and how to customize it to your requirements; using compliance features such as archive mailboxes, retention policies, and multi-mailbox discovery searches « less
Set up, maintain, and secure a small office e-mail server
Many businesses want to run their email servers on Linux for greater control and flexibility of corporate communications, but getting started can be complicated. The attractiveness of a free-to-use and robust email service running on Linux can be undermined by the apparent technical challenges involved. more » Some of the complexity arises from the fact that an email server consists of several components that must be installed and configured separately, then integrated together.
This book gives you just what you need to know to set up and maintain an email server. Unlike other approaches that deal with one component at a time, this book delivers a step-by-step approach across all the server components, leaving you with a complete working email server for your small business network.
Starting with a discussion on why you should even consider hosting your own email server, the book covers setting up the mail server. We then move on to look at providing web access, so that users can access their email out of the office. After this we look at the features you'll want to add to improve email productivity: virus protection, spam detection, and automatic email processing. Finally we look at an essential maintenance task: backups.
Written by professional Linux administrators, the book is aimed at technically confident users and new and part-time system administrators. The emphasis is on simple, practical and reliable guidance.
Based entirely on free, Open Source software, this book will show you how to set up and manage your email server easily. « less
Building a Mail Server with Courier and Cyrus
IMAP (the Internet Message Access Protocol) allows clients to access their email on a remote server, whether from the office, a remote location, or a cell phone or other device. IMAP is powerful and flexible, but it's also complicated to set up; it's more difficult to implement than POP3 and more error-prone more » for both client and server.
The Book of IMAP offers a detailed introduction to IMAP and POP3, the two protocols that govern all modern mail servers and clients. You'll learn how the protocols work as well as how to install, configure, and maintain the two most popular open source mail systems, Courier and Cyrus. « less
Solve Real-life Linux Problems Quickly
If you're an experienced system administrator looking to acquire Linux skills, or a seasoned Linux user facing a new challenge, Linux System Administration offers practical knowledge for managing a complete range of Linux systems and servers. The book summarizes the steps you need to build everything more » from standalone Soho hubs, web servers, and Lan servers to load-balanced clusters and servers consolidated through virtualization. Along the way, you'll learn about all of the tools you need to set up and maintain these working environments.
Linux is now a standard corporate platform with users numbering in the hundreds of millions, and there is a definite shortage of talented administrators. Linux System Administration is ideal as an introduction to Linux for Unix veterans, Mcses, and mainframe administrators, and as an advanced (and refresher) guide for existing Linux administrators who will want to jump into the middle of the book. Inside, you'll learn how to:
* Set up a stand-alone Linux server
* Install, configure, maintain, and troubleshoot a Dns server using Bind
* Build an Internet server to manage sites, perform email and file transfers, and more
* Set up an email service for a small-to-medium-sized site, complete with authentication
* Install and configure Apache, Php, and MySql on a web server built from scratch
* Combine computers into a load-balanced Apache web server cluster based on the free Linux Virtual Server
* Set up local network services from distributed file systems to Dhcp services, gateway services, print services, user management and more
* Use Linux virtualization with Xen or Vmware to run multiple kernels on one piece of hardware; manage each kernel's access to processor time, devices, and memory « less
A classic O'Reilly title since 1993, sendmail now covers Versions 8.10 through 8.14 of this email routing program, including dozens of new features, options, and macros. This edition also takes a more nuts-and-bolts approach than its predecessors. It includes both an administration handbook and a reference more » guide that provide you with clear options for installing, configuring and managing sendmail's latest versions and companion programs. « less
Postfix is a Mail Transfer Agent (MTA): software that mail servers use to route email. Postfix is highly respected by experts for its secure design and tremendous reliability. And new users like it because it's so simple to configure. In fact, Postfix has been adopted as the default MTA on Mac OS X. more » It is also compatible with sendmail, so that existing scripts and programs continue to work seamlesslyafter it is installed.
Postfix was written by well-known security expert Wietse Venema, who reviewed this book intensively during its entire development. Author Kyle Dent covers a wide range of Postfix tasks, from virtual hosting to controls for unsolicited commercial email. « less
Open Source, Powerful, Easy to Configure
Exim delivers electronic mail, both local and remote. It has all the virtues of a good postman: it's easy to talk to, reliable, efficient, and eager to accommodate even the most complex special requests. It's the default mail transport agent installed on some Linux systems, runs on many versions of Unix, more » and is suitable for any TCP/IP network with any combination of hosts and end-user mail software.
Best of all, Exim is easy to configure. You never have to deal with ruleset 3 or worry that a misplaced asterisk will cause an inadvertent mail bomb. While a basic configuration is easy to read and can be created quickly, Exim's syntax and behavior do get more subtle as you enter complicated areas like virtual hosting, filtering, and automatic replies. This book is a comprehensive survey that provides quick information for people in a hurry as well as thorough coverage of more advanced material. « less