Learn to leverage the power of PowerCLI to automate your VMware vSphere environment with ease
About This Book This is first book on the market that will enlighten you on the latest version of PowerCLI and how to implement it Effectively manage virtual machines, networks, and reports with the latest features of PowerCLI A comprehensive and practical book on automating VMware vSphere
Who This more » Book Is For
This book is ideal for you if you want to learn how to automate your VMware vSphere or vCloud infrastructure by getting the most out of PowerCLI. It’s assumed that you have some experience in administrating a vSphere or vCloud environment. Knowledge of Microsoft’s Windows PowerShell is not a prerequisite.
What You Will Learn
- Explore PowerShell and PowerCLI cmdlets and their output objects
- See how to manage virtual machines and work with virtual networks
- Manage vCloud Director from PowerCLI
- Use Site Recovery Manager from PowerCLI to create a disaster recovery solution
- Manage NSX and vRealize Automation using REST API with PowerCLI
- Create and configure vSphere HA and DRS clusters
- Use vSphere Update Manager with PowerCLI to create patch baselines and scan hosts
- Explore reporting techniques to retrieve log files
VMware vSphere PowerCLI, a free extension to Microsoft Windows PowerShell, enables you to automate the management of a VMware vSphere or vCloud environment. This book will show you how to automate your tasks and make your job easier. Starting with an introduction to the basics of PowerCLI, the book will teach you how to manage your vSphere and vCloud infrastructure from the command line. To help you manage a vSphere host overall, you will learn how to manage vSphere ESXi hosts, host profiles, host services, host firewall, and deploy and upgrade ESXi hosts using Image Builder and Auto Deploy. The next chapter will not only teach you how to create datastore and datastore clusters, but you’ll also work « less
Unleash the performance, availability, and workload efficiency of your virtual data center using this fast-paced guide
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Explore methodologies that are applied during the Initial, Planning, Analysis, and Design phases of a vSphere implementation
* Familiarize yourself with planning, deploying, maintaining, and optimizing vSphere solutions with ease
* Seamlessly configure and deploy vSphere with the more » help of easy-to-follow examples in this fast-paced guide
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
If you are a VMware beginner, VMware engineer, VMware SME, or VMware architect, then this is the book for you. A basic understanding of virtualization is a prerequisite.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Identify key factors related to vSphere design and apply them to every step of the design process
* Familiarize yourself with the procedures and practices to be followed while designing VMware vSphere
* Choose the right storage protocol depending on your infrastructure needs
* Evaluate and design a multitenant environment to address both private cloud and public cloud business needs
* Estimate storage to accommodate IOPS, data explosion, disaster recovery, and on demand provisioning
* Create professional vSphere design documentation to ensure a successful implementation of the vSphere design
* Map the logical resource design into the physical vSphere design
* Analyze requirements for a better network design
vSphere allows you to transform your IT infrastructure into a private cloud, then bridge it to public clouds on demand, delivering an IT infrastructure as an easily accessible service.
This book is a fast-paced guide that enables you to explore and harness the vast potential of VMware vSphere. The book begins by providing you with a rapid introduction to VMware vSphere architecture and the major considerations for VMware vSphere design. Beginning with the essentials of VMware vSphere, it will get you started with VMware ESXi host, cluster, vCenter and patterns that are required to be applied while designing your VMware vSphere. As you progress through the chapters, you will learn about analyzing the key components that are needed for a network.
By the end of the book, you will have also learned about the major factors influencing vCloud needs and have finalized the requirements for designing a vCloud. « less
Prepare for the VCP-DCV Exam
Prepare yourself for VMware's challenging VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization exam, as well as the typical tasks and responsibilities you can expect as a VMware vSphere 5.5-certified professional. This comprehensive book guides you through all topics more » and objectives you'll need to know for the exam. These include planning, installing, upgrading, and securing vCenter Server and ESXi; configuring networking and storage; performing basic troubleshooting; and more. You'll also gain access to premium online practice and review tools.
* Prepares certification candidates for the VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization exam (VCP-DCV)
* Covers all exam objectives
* Features real-world scenarios, hands-on exercises, and challenging review questions
* Explores key topics such as securing vCenter and ESXi, planning and configuring vSphere networking and storage, creating and deploying virtual machines and vApps, establishing services levels, and more
* Includes access to online practice exams, flashcards, and other study tools
If you want the best preparation for the VCP-DCV certification exam, you'll want VCP-DCV VMware Certified Professional Data Center Virtualization on vSphere Study Guide. « less
Over 50 recipes to master VMware vSphere administration
VMware ESX and VMware ESXi hypervisors are used for providing the foundation for building and managing a virtualized IT infrastructure. vSphere 5.1 delivers the same industry-leading performance and scalability as prior vSphere releases, with several additional benefits including its improved reliability more » and security. VMware vSphere 5.1 is based on the ESXi hypervisor architecture, a thin purpose-built hypervisor that does not depend on a general purpose operating system, which does away with the requirement of persistent storage. So we can now store it on a dedicated compact storage device, drastically reducing the hypervisor install footprint to less than 150MB.
VMware ESXi 5.1 Cookbook - explores every aspect of VMware administration. We will learn to configure and to administer vSphere including high availability (HA), distributed resource scheduler (DRS), fault tolerance (FT), vMotion , svMotion, virtual machine provisioning, update manager, and distributed virtual switches. We will also explore advanced level operations with lots of tips and tricks to ease your job. « less
A practical guide for deploying and using VMware vCenter, suitable for IT professionals
This book starts with the basics then leads you by the hand through a complete Vmware vCenter Server implementation course. Designed to help you administer and manage your environment on a day to day basis.
* Gain in-depth knowledge of the VMware vCenter features, requirements, and deployment more » process
* Manage hosts, virtual machines, and learn storage management in VMware vCenter server
* Overview of VMware vCenter Operations Manager and VMware vCenter Orchestrator
Virtualization is a hot topic today. It saves time and effort for IT professionals as well as helping to keep infrastructure costs down and makes the IT industry greener. VMware, one of the major players on the virtualization market, offers great scalability and reliability features, professional support, and constantly works on improvements for their products. VMware vCenter Server is a necessary component of any professional vSphere implementation. It offers a great variety of features and capabilities that simplify an administrator’s day-to-day work.
This book is a practical and hands-on guide to VMware vCenter Server, providing a description of its features and capabilities as well as useful tips on doing day-to-day administrative tasks.
This book starts with an introduction to VMware vCenter Server, describing requirements and deployment steps along the way. It takes you through a description of product features and different aspects of administration giving useful tips for day-to-day tasks. You will learn how to deploy VMware vCenter Server, and how to manage hosts and virtual machines. You will also take a look at security features, availability, resource management, and discuss monitoring and automation topics.
The last two chapters will describe additional products that can be used together with VMware vCenter Server: VMware vCenter Operations Manager and VMware vCenter Orchestrator. If you want to learn how VMware vCenter Server can help with managing your environment, then this is the book for you.
What you will learn from this book
* Deploy VMware vCenter Server and ESXi hosts
* Create and clone virtual machines and work with templates
* Reduce downtime, and configure and manage availability features
* Allocate resources, and configure resource pools and DRS
* Manage users
* Secure ESXi hosts
* Learn to use alerts
* Work with VMware vCenter Operations Manager
* Get to grips with VMware vCenter Orchestrator
This book is a practical, hands-on guide that will help you learn everything you need to know to administer your environment with VMware vCenter Server. Throughout the book, there are best practices and useful tips and tricks which can be used for day-to-day tasks.
Who this book is written for
If you are an administrator or a technician starting with VMware, with little or no knowledge of virtualization products, this book is ideal for you. Even if you are an IT professional looking to expand your existing environment, you will be able to use this book to help you improve the management of these environments. IT managers will find it helpful in terms of improving cost efficiency, ensuring required levels of service and utilising its excellent reporting abilities. « less
Protecting Virtualized Environments
Securing virtual environments for VMware, Citrix, and Microsoft hypervisors
Virtualization changes the playing field when it comes to security. There are new attack vectors, new operational patterns and complexity, and changes in IT architecture and deployment life cycles. What's more, the technologies, more » best practices, and strategies used for securing physical environments do not provide sufficient protection for virtual environments. This book includes step-by-step configurations for the security controls that come with the three leading hypervisor--VMware vSphere and ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V on Windows Server 2008, and Citrix XenServer.
* Includes strategy for securely implementing network policies and integrating virtual networks into the existing physical infrastructure
* Discusses vSphere and Hyper-V native virtual switches as well as the Cisco Nexus 1000v and Open vSwitch switches
* Offers effective practices for securing virtual machines without creating additional operational overhead for administrators
* Contains methods for integrating virtualization into existing workflows and creating new policies and processes for change and configuration management so that virtualization can help make these critical operations processes more effective
This must-have resource offers tips and tricks for improving disaster recovery and business continuity, security-specific scripts, and examples of how Virtual Desktop Infrastructure benefits security. « less
A Real-World Guide to Effective VMware Use
With scores of step-by-step solutions, this cookbook helps you work with VMware ESXi in a wide range of network environments. You'll not only learn the basics - how to pool resources from hardware servers, computer clusters, networks, and storage, and then distribute them among virtual machines - but more » also how to overcome the stumbling blocks you'll encounter when you monitor systems, troubleshoot problems, and deal with security. « less
A Real-World Guide to Effective VMware Use
This book provides a look into real-world use of VMware ESX and ESXi, with step-by-step solutions for problems that occur in a wide range of environments. Written by experts with experience using VMware in a production environment, VMware Cookbook shares tips and tricks earned through trial and error, more » and supplies the background information you need to apply them. « less