Fedora 20 Edition
Beginning Fedora Desktop: Fedora 20 Edition is a complete guide to using the Fedora 20 Desktop Linux release as your daily driver for multimedia, productivity, social networking, the GNOME 3 desktop, administrative tasks, and more. Author and Linux expert Richard Petersen delves into the operating system more » as a whole and offers you a complete treatment of Fedora 20 Desktop configuration and use.
You'll discover how to install and update the Fedora 20 Desktop, learn which applications perform which functions, how to manage software, use of the GNOME 3 and KDE desktop configuration tools, useful shell commands, and both the Fedora administration and network tools. « less
In this book, one of the world's leading Linux experts brings together all the knowledge you need to master Fedora or Red Hat Enterprise Linux and succeed with it in the real world. Best-selling author Mark Sobell explains Linux clearly and effectively, focusing on skills you'll actually use as a user, more » programmer, or administrator. Now an even more versatile learning resource, this edition adds skill objectives at the beginning of each chapter. « less
“First Sobell taught people how to use Linux . . . now he teaches you the power of Linux. A must-have book for anyone who wants to take Linux to the next level.”
–Jon “maddog” Hall, Executive Director, Linux International
New Chapters on Python and MySQL–Covers Perl, too!
* Learn from hundreds more » of realistic, high-quality examples, and become a true Linux command-line guru!
* NEW! Covers busybox, Midnight Commander, screen, and sshfs/curlftpf
* Covers the Mac OS X command line and its unique tools
* 295-page reference covers 98 utilities, including Mac OS X commands!
For use with all popular versions of Linux, including Ubuntu™, Fedora™, openSUSE™, Red Hat®, Debian, Mageia, Mint, Arch, CentOS, and Mac OS X, too!
The Most Useful Tutorial and Reference, with Hundreds of High-Quality Examples for Every Popular Linux Distribution
Linux is today’s dominant Internet server platform. System administrators and Web developers need deep Linux fluency, including expert knowledge of shells and the command line. This is the only guide with everything you need to achieve that level of Linux mastery. Renowned Linux expert Mark Sobell has brought together comprehensive, insightful guidance on the tools sysadmins, developers, and power users need most, and has created an outstanding day-to-day reference.
This title is 100 percent distribution and release agnostic. Packed with hundreds of high-quality, realistic examples, it presents Linux from the ground up: the clearest explanations and most useful information about everything from filesystems to shells, editors to utilities, and programming tools to regular expressions.
Use a Mac? You’ll find coverage of the Mac OS X command line, including OS X-only tools and utilities other Linux/UNIX titles ignore. Sobell presents a new MySQL chapter. There’s even an expert introduction to Python–today’s most valuable tool for automating complex, time-consuming administration tasks.
A Practical Guide to Linux® Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming, Third Edition, is the only guide to deliver
* A MySQL chapter to get you started with this ubiquitous relational database management system (RDBMS)
* A masterful introduction to Python for system administrators and power users
* New coverage of the busybox single binary collection of utilities, the screen terminal session manager/multiplexer, and the mc (Midnight Commander) textual file manager, plus a new chapter on using ssh for secure communication
* In-depth coverage of the bash and tcsh shells, including a complete discussion of environment, inheritance, and process locality, plus coverage of basic and advanced shell programming
* Practical explanations of 98 core utilities, from aspell to xargs, including printf and sshfs/curlftpfs, PLUS Mac OS X-specific utilities from ditto to SetFile
* Expert guidance on automating remote backups using rsync
* Dozens of system security tips, including step-by-step walkthroughs of implementing secure communications using ssh and scp
* Tips and tricks for customizing the shell, including step values, sequence expressions, the eval builtin, and implicit command-line continuation
* High-productivity editing techniques using vim and emacs
* A comprehensive, 295-page command reference section covering 98 utilities, including find, grep, sort, and tar
* Instructions for updating systems using apt-get and yum
* And much more, including coverage of BitTorrent, gawk, sed, find, sort, bzip2, and regular expressions « less
Master All the Techniques You Need to Succeed with Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux
* Set up key Internet servers, step by step, including Samba, Apache, sendmail, DNS, FTP, and other Internet servers
* Automate and streamline administration with this edition’s outstanding new chapter on Perl more » scripting
* Master GUI-based admin tools and the powerful Linux command line (CLI)
In this book, one of the world’s leading Linux experts brings together all the knowledge you’ll need to succeed with Fedora or Red Hat Enterprise Linux in any real-world environment. Best-selling author Mark Sobell explains Linux clearly and effectively, focusing on skills you’ll actually use as an administrator, user, or programmer.
Sobell assumes no prior Linux knowledge. He starts at the beginning and walks you through every topic and task that matters, using easy-to-understand examples. Step by step, you’ll learn how to install and configure Linux from the accompanying DVD, navigate its graphical user interfaces, provide file/print sharing and Internet services, make sure Linux desktops and networks are as secure as possible, work with the powerful command line, administer Linux efficiently, and even automate administration with Perl scripts.
Mark Sobell has taught hundreds of thousands of Linux and UNIX professionals. He knows every Linux nook and cranny–and he never forgets what it’s like to be new to Linux. Whatever you’ll want to do with Linux–now or in the future–this book gives you everything you’ll need.
Compared with the other Linux books out there, A Practical Guide to Fedora™ and Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®, Fifth Edition, delivers
* Complete, up-to-the-minute coverage of Fedora 12 and RHEL 5
* Deeper coverage of the command line and the newest GUIs, including desktop customization
* More practical coverage of file sharing using Samba, NFS, and FTP
* More and better coverage of automating administration with Perl
* More usable, realistic coverage of Internet server configuration, including Apache, sendmail, NFS, DNS/BIND, and LDAP
* More state-of-the-art security techniques, including SELinux (Security Enhanced Linux), ACLs (Access Control Lists), firewall setup using both the Red Hat GUI and iptables, and a full chapter on OpenSSH
* More and better coverage of system/network administration tasks, including new coverage of network monitoring with Cacti
* Complete instructions on keeping Linux systems up-to-date using yum
* And much more, including a 500+ term glossary and a comprehensive index
Includes DVD! Get the full version of the Fedora 12 release! « less
As a market-leading, free, open-source Linux operating system (OS), Fedora 10 is implemented in Red Hat Enterprise Linux and serves as an excellent OS for those who want more frequent updates. Bestselling author Christopher Negus offers an ideal companion resource for both new and advanced Linux users. more » He presents clear, thorough instructions so you can learn how to make Linux installation simple and painless, take advantage of the desktop interface, and use the Linux shell, file system, and text editor. « less
What better way to learn Fedora 11 than with the leading Fedora book from the best-selling Linux author, Christopher Negus with Eric Foster Johnson? Whether you're new to Linux or an advanced user, this power-packed guide is loaded with what you need. Install, run, and manage the latest version of Fedora more » and Red Hat Enterprise Linux-then polish your system administration skills and get up to speed on the very latest in networking, desktop, and server enhancement. « less
From Novice to Professional
Beginning Fedora: From Novice to Professional guides you through the tasks most new Linux users desire to perform, while explaining potentially confusing concepts along the way. It will steer you through system customization opportunities and common tasks like listening to audio CDs and MP3s, watching more » movies, and performing office- and Internet-related jobs. A large part of the book is dedicated to advanced command-line techniques necessary to maintain your system and become a true Linux master! « less
Boot Up to Fedora, KNOPPIX, Debian, SUSE, Ubuntu, and 7 Other Distributions
This completely revamped edition covers the familiar Linux flavors as well as some exciting new distributions-Ubuntu, Mepis, Arch Linux, and four others.
Ideal for users planning the transition to Linux who want to sample different distributions to see which one best meets their needs.
Includes more » new sections on practical uses for Linux, cool multimedia apps, instant messaging, BitTorrent, and improved security techniques.
Valuable information for system administrators who need to set up secure, fully functioning Linux servers. « less