An Audit Preparation Plan
This book explains how to construct an information security program, from inception to audit, with enduring, practical, hands-on advice and actionable behavior for IT professionals. Information security is more than configuring firewalls, removing viruses, hacking machines, or setting passwords. Creating more » and promoting a successful security program requires skills in organizational consulting, diplomacy, change management, risk analysis, and out-of-the-box thinking.
IT Security Risk Control Management provides step-by-step guidance on how to craft a security program that will fit neatly into an organization and change dynamically to suit both the needs of the organization and survive constant changing threats. Readers will understand the paradoxes of information security and discover handy tools that hook security controls into business processes.
With this book, you will be able to equip your security program to prepare for and pass such common audits as PCI, SSAE-16 and ISO 27001. In addition, you will learn the depth and breadth of the expertise necessary to become an adaptive and effective security professional. This book:
* Starts at the beginning of how to approach, scope, and customize a security program to fit an organization.
* Walks you through how to implement the most challenging processes, pointing out common pitfalls and distractions.
* Teaches you how to frame security and risk issues to be clear and actionable to decision makers, technical personnel, and users.
What you’ll learn
* How to organically grow a useful, functional security program appropriate to an organization's culture and requirements
* How to inform, advise, and influence executives, IT staff, and users on information security
* How to think like a seasoned security professional, understanding how cyber-criminals subvert systems with subtle and insidious tricks.
* How to analyze, select, implement, and monitor security controls such as change control, vulnerability management, incident response, and access controls.
* How to prepare an organization to pass external formal audits such as PCI, SSAE-16 or ISO 27001
* How to write clear, easy to follow, comprehensive security policies and procedures
Who This Book Is For
IT professionals moving into the security field; new security managers, directors, project heads, and would-be CISOs; and security specialists from other disciplines moving into information security (e.g., former military security professionals, law enforcement professionals, and physical security professionals). « less
A No-Nonsense Guide to the OpenBSD Firewall
OpenBSD's stateful packet filter, PF, is the heart of the OpenBSD firewall. With more and more services placing high demands on bandwidth and an increasingly hostile Internet environment, no sysadmin can afford to be without PF expertise.
The third edition of The Book of PF covers the most up-to-date more » developments in PF, including new content on IPv6, dual stack configurations, the "queues and priorities" traffic-shaping system, NAT and redirection, wireless networking, spam fighting, failover provision ing, logging, and more. « less
The insiders guide on how to secure your VMware View Environment
The vital elements of securing your View environment are the subject of this user-friendly guide. From a theoretical overview to practical instructions, it's the ideal tutorial for beginners and an essential reference source for the more experienced.
* Discover how to correctly implement more » View connection, security, and transfer servers
* Understand all the firewall rules and the basics of multi-layered security
* Secure all your connections between client and desktop
Most people associate security with network security and focus on firewalls and network monitoring. However, there is more to security than that. Security starts with the establishment of a stable environment, protecting this environment not only from intrusion, but also from malicious intent. It is about tracking the issue and recovering from it. These elements of security are what this book aims to address.
VMware View Security Essentials addresses the topic of security in the corporate environment in a new way. It starts with the underlying virtual infrastructure and then delves into securing your base, your connection, and your client. This is not only a “how-to” book, but is also a book that explains the background and the insights of View security for the experienced professional's desktop virtualization.
This book takes you through the four major View security areas. Each area deals with all the aspects of security and explains the background as well as laying out simple-to-follow recipes to implement a higher security standard.
We start at the Virtualization base and work our way through the various View server types. We will then dive into the problems and issues of securing a connection before we address the security of the desktop itself. We conclude with a look into the backing up of our View installation and preparing for disaster recovery.
What you will learn from this book
* Create, use, and install SSL certificates
* Acquire a new skill set in troubleshooting security issues
* Learn about secure tunnelling your desktop connection with RDP and PCoIP
* Understand the concepts of pairing View security and transfer severs with View connection servers
* Understand the key aspects of blocking undesirable USB devices
A practical and fast-paced guide that gives you all the information you need to secure your virtual environment.
Who this book is written for
This book is a “how-to” for the novice, a “reference guide” for the advanced user, and a “go to" for the experienced user in all the aspects of VMware View desktop virtualization security. « less
Cisco Firewalls thoroughly explains each of the leading Cisco firewall products, features, and solutions, and shows how they can add value to any network security design or operation. The author tightly links theory with practice, demonstrating how to integrate Cisco firewalls into highly secure, self-defending more » networks. Cisco Firewalls shows you how to deploy Cisco firewalls as an essential component of every network infrastructure. The book takes the unique approach of illustrating complex configuration concepts through step-by-step examples that demonstrate the theory in action. This is the first book with detailed coverage of firewalling Unified Communications systems, network virtualization architectures, and environments that include virtual machines. The author also presents indispensable information about integrating firewalls with other security elements such as IPS, VPNs, and load balancers; as well as a complete introduction to firewalling IPv6 networks. Cisco Firewalls will be an indispensable resource for engineers and architects designing and implementing firewalls; security administrators, operators, and support professionals; and anyone preparing for the CCNA Security, CCNP Security, or CCIE Security certification exams. « less
This revised and updated Second Edition presents a practical introduction to operating systems and illustrates these principles through a hands-on approach using accompanying simulation models developed in Java and C++. This text is appropriate for upper-level undergraduate courses in computer science. more » Case studies throughout the text feature the implementation of Java and C++ simulation models, giving students a thorough look at both the theoretical and the practical concepts discussed in modern OS courses. This pedagogical approach is designed to present a clearer, more practical look at OS concepts, techniques, and methods without sacrificing the theoretical rigor that is necessary at this level. It is an ideal choice for those interested in gaining comprehensive, hands-on experience using the modern techniques and methods necessary for working with these complex systems. Every new printed copy is accompanied with a CD-ROM containing simulations (eBook version does not include CD-ROM). New material added to the
- Chapter 11 (Security) has been revised to include the most up-to-date information
- Chapter 12 (Firewalls and Network Security) has been updated to include material on middleware that allows applications on separate machines to communicate (e.g. RMI, COM+, and Object Broker)
- Includes a new chapter dedicated to Virtual Machines
- Provides introductions to various types of scams - Updated to include information on Windows 7 and Mac OS X throughout the text
- Contains new material on basic hardware architecture that operating systems depend on
- Includes new material on handling multi-core CPU
-Answers to the end of chapter questions -PowerPoint Lecture Outlines « less
Continuing a bestselling tradition, An Introduction to Cryptography, Second Edition provides a solid foundation in cryptographic concepts that features all of the requisite background material on number theory and algorithmic complexity as well as a historical look at the field.
With numerous additions more » and restructured material, this edition presents the ideas behind cryptography and the applications of the subject. The first chapter provides a thorough treatment of the mathematics necessary to understand cryptography, including number theory and complexity, while the second chapter discusses cryptographic fundamentals, such as ciphers, linear feedback shift registers, modes of operation, and attacks. The next several chapters discuss DES, AES, public-key cryptography, primality testing, and various factoring methods, from classical to elliptical curves. The final chapters are comprised of issues pertaining to the Internet, such as pretty good privacy (PGP), protocol layers, firewalls, and cookies, as well as applications, including login and network security, viruses, smart cards, and biometrics. The book concludes with appendices on mathematical data, computer arithmetic, the Rijndael S-Box, knapsack ciphers, the Silver-Pohlig-Hellman algorithm, the SHA-1 algorithm, radix-64 encoding, and quantum cryptography.
New to the Second Edition:
An introductory chapter that provides more information on mathematical facts and complexity theory
Expanded and updated exercises sets, including some routine exercises
More information on primality testing and cryptanalysis
Accessible and logically organized, An Introduction to Cryptography, Second Edition is the essential book on the fundamentals of cryptography. « less
A Complete Toolkit for Microsoft's Undocumented Log Analysis Tool
Written by Microsoft's Log Parser developer, this is the first book available on Microsoft's popular yet undocumented log parser tool. The book and accompanying Web site contain hundreds of customized, working scripts and templates that system administrators will find invaluable for analyzing the log more » files from Windows Server, Snort IDS, ISA Server, IIS Server, Exchange Server, and other products.
System administrators running Windows, Unix, and Linux networks manage anywhere from 1 to thousands of operating systems (Windows, Unix, etc.), Applications (Exchange, Snort, IIS, etc.), and hardware devices (firewalls, routers, etc.) that generate incredibly long and detailed log files of all activity on the particular application or device. This book will teach administrators how to use Microsoft's Log Parser to data mine all of the information available within these countless logs. The book teaches readers how all queries within Log Parser work (for example: a Log Parser query to an Exchange log may provide information on the origin of spam, viruses, etc.). Also, Log Parser is completely scriptable and customizable so the book and accompanying Web site will provide the reader with hundreds of original, working scripts that will automate these tasks and provide formatted charts and reports detailing the results of the queries.
* Written by Microsoft's sole developer of Log Parser, this is the first book available on the powerful yet completely undocumented product that ships with Microsoft's IIS, Windows Advanced Server 2003, and is available as a free download from the Microsoft Web site
* The book and accompanying Web site contain dozens of original, working Log Parser scripts and templates for Windows Server, ISA Server, Snort IDS, Exchange Server, IIS, and more!
* This book and accompanying scripts will save system administrators countless hours by scripting and automating the most common to the most complex log analysis tasks « less
Red Hat Linux Security and Optimization is a reference for power-users and administrators covering all security issues, including Filesystems Security, Securing root accounts and Firewalls. Other Security books talk about how to apply certain patches to fix a security problem -- but this book shows you more » how to secure all applications so that the chances for a security breach are automatically minimized. Application performance benchmarking will also be covered. This book introduces you to many application-specific performance and benchmarking techniques and shows you how to tune your computer as well as your networks. This book covers all the primary Red Hat Linux Applications such as Apache Web Server, WuFTP, FTP server, BIND DNS server, Sendmail SMTP server and focuses on how to enhance security for each of them. It also shows you how to secure NFS and Samba Server, as well as the Apache Web Server. « less
Completely revised and much expanded, the new edition of the highly respected and bestselling Building Internet Firewalls now covers Unix, Linux, and Windows NT. This practical and detailed guide explains in step-by-step fashion how to design and install firewalls and configure Internet services to work more » with a firewall. It covers a wide range of services and protocols and offers a complete list of resources, including the location of many publicly available firewalls construction tools. « less
Everything you need to know about selecting, designing, building, and managing the right VPN for your company Building and Managing Virtual Private Networks Get complete answers to all your VPN questions in Building and Managing Virtual Private Networks. International networking guru Dave Kosiur provides more » a candid assessment of the current state of VPN technology. With the help of fascinating and informative case studies based on the experiences of organizations at the forefront of the VPN revolution, he clearly explains the basic concepts and technologies involved, as well as the business reasons for making the switch to an Internet-based network. And he provides practical guidance on all aspects of designing, building, and managing the best VPN for your organization. You get the complete lowdown on:
* The pros and cons of all VPN types now available
* All major classes of VPN hardware and software
* Key VPN design issues and business solutions
* Detailed cost comparison
* Selecting the right ISP for your VPN
* Building a high-performance extranet
* Remote access
* VPN security threats and solutions, including best-in-class cryptographic techniques
* Firewalls and routers « less