Create web services that are lightweight, maintainable, scalable, and secure using the best tools and techniques designed for Python
About This Book
Develop RESTful Web Services using the most popular frameworks in Python Configure and fine-tune your APIs using the best tools and techniques available This practical guide will help you to implement complete REST-based APIs from scratch
Who This Book Is For
This book is for more » web developers who have working knowledge of Python and would like to build amazing web services by taking advantage of the various frameworks of Python. You should have some knowledge of RESTful APIs.
What You Will Learn
* Develop complex RESTful APIs from scratch with Python combined with and without data sources
* Choose the most appropriate (micro) framework based on the specific requirements of a RESTful API / web service
* Debug, test, and profile RESTful APIs with each of the frameworks
* Develop a complex RESTful API that interacts with a PostgreSQL database
* Add authentication and permissions to a RESTful API built in each of the frameworks
* Map URL patterns to request handlers and check how the API works
* Profile an existing API and refactor it to take advantage of asynchronous code
Python is the language of choice for millions of developers worldwide, due to its gentle learning curve as well as its vast applications in day-to-day programming. It serves the purpose of building great web services in the RESTful architecture. This book will show you the best tools you can use to build your own web services. Learn how to develop RESTful APIs using the popular Python frameworks and all the necessary stacks with Python, Django, Flask, and Tornado, combined with related libraries and tools. We will dive deep into each of these frameworks to build various web services, and will provide use cases and best practices on when to use a particular framework to get the best results. We will show you « less
Unleash the full potential of the Flask web framework by creating simple yet powerful web applications
***** About This Book *****
* The most up-to-date book on Flask on the market
* Create your own world-class applications and master the art of Flask by unravelling its enigma through this journey
* This step-by-step tutorial is packed with examples on blending different technologies with Flask to more » get you up and running
***** Who This Book Is For *****
Have you looked at PHP and hated the clunky bloated syntax? Or looked at .Net and wished it was more open and flexible? Maybe you've tried your hand at GUI libraries in Python and found them hard to use? If your answer to any one of these questions is a yes, then this is just the book for you.
It is also intended for people who know the basics of Python and want to learn how to use it to build powerful solutions with a web front-end.
***** What You Will Learn *****
* Build three web applications from the ground up using the powerful Python micro framework, Flask.
* Dynamically display data to your viewers, based on their requests
* Store user and static data in SQL and NoSQL databases and use this data to power your web applications
* Harness the convenience of freely available APIs, including OpenWeatherMap, Open Exchange Rates, and bitly
* Extend your applications to build advanced functionality, such as a user account control system using Flask-Login
* Learn about web application security and defend against common attacks, such as SQL injection and XSS
***** In Detail *****
This book will take you on a journey from learning about web development using Flask to building fully functional web applications. In the first major project, we develop a dynamic Headlines application that displays the latest news headlines along with up-to-date currency and weather information. In project two, we build a Crime Map application that is backed by a MySQL database, allowing users to submit information on and the location of crimes in order to plot danger zones and other crime trends within an area. In the final project, we combine Flask with more modern technologies, such as Twitter's Bootstrap and the NoSQL database MongoDB, to create a Waiter Caller application that allows restaurant patrons to easily call a waiter to their table. This pragmatic tutorial will keep you engaged as you learn the crux of Flask by working on challenging real-world applications.
***** Style and approach *****
This book will provide you with rich, practical experience of Flask. Every technology, that is employed along with Flask is comprehensively introduced, while the book focusses on developing web applications. Pointers to educational material are always given if you want to gain in-depth knowledge of the various technologies used. « less
Use Python and Flask to build amazing web applications, just the way you want them!
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Learn how to use forms, authentication, and authorization control through extensions, and provide a robust, safe web experience for the client
* Free yourself from the SQL vs NoSQL paradigm and use the technology that best fits your needs
* Add powerful concepts like TDD and BDD more » to your range of testing skills
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
If you are a Python web developer who wants to learn more about developing applications in Flask and scaling them with industry-standard practices, this is the book for you.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Create single page applications with Flask
* Use macros, filters, tags, and control structures to render rich responses to user requests
* Receive forms securely through form-based classes and WTForms
* Utilize NoSQL or SQL databases to store user data seamlessly
* Generate simple, yet powerful, REST services from your data models
* Learn how to perform test-driven and behavior-driven developments in your Flask projects
* Use Flask components to create maintainable non-flat projects
* Harvest the power of extensions to build robust authorization and permission policies
Flask is a powerful web framework that helps you build great projects using your favorite tools. Flask takes the flexible Python programming language and provides a simple template for web development. Once imported into Python, Flask can be used to save time building web applications. It goes against the flow with the microframework concept, leaving most of the architecture choices to the developer. Through its great API, extensions, and powerful patterns, Flask helps you create simple projects in minutes and complex ones as soon as possible.
From the beginning, Building Web Applications with Flask shows you how to utilize Flask's concepts, extensions, and components to create engaging, full-featured web projects. You'll learn how to properly handle forms using WTForms, devise convenient templates with Jinja2 tags and macros, use NoSQL and SQL databases to store user data, test your projects with features and unit tests, create powerful authentication and user authorization, as well as administrative interfaces with ease, and more.
As Flask does not enforce an architectural recipe, neither do we! This book makes no coding assumptions on how you should code, leaving you free to experiment. « less
Dive into the world of the Flask microframework to develop an array of web applications
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Structure, compose, and build powerful Flask HTML-based applications and JSON/XML-based APIs using advanced application design patterns
* Integrate third-party Flask extensions for tasks such as social authentication, sending emails, and interacting with databases and cache layers
* more » Build a series of Flask applications of increasing complexity
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
If you are a Python web developer who has developed basic Flask applications and now wants to build a series of more complex web applications, then this is the book for you.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Use the virtualenv Python package to effectively isolate your development environments
* Convert a simple one-file Flask application into a more full-fledged multi-package application
* Integrate Flask-Login for simple user authentication, Flask-WTF for forms, and Flask-SQLAlchemy for database interactions
* Explore URL routing and dispatching in a blueprint structured application
* Create your own signals and consume them within your application
* Learn to leverage Werkzeug, the WSGI library that powers much of Flask
* Implement custom exceptions for handling non-20x response codes
* Write your own CLI tools for administrative and development tasks of your Flask application using Flask-Script/Click
* Build your Flask extensions to encapsulate reusable behaviors across your applications
Flask is a small but powerful web development framework for Python. Though Flask is termed a micro-framework, it is no way lacking in functionality; there are many extensions available to Flask which helps it to function at the same level as other large frameworks such as Django and Ruby on Rails.
This book will demonstrate how to develop a series of web application projects with the Python web micro-framework, and leverage extensions and external Python libraries and APIs to extend the development of a variety of larger and more complex web applications.
The book will start by explaining Python's Virtualenv library and how to create and switch between multiple virtual environments. You'll first build an SQL database-backed application, which will use Flask-WTF, Flask-SQLAlchemy, Jinja templates, and other methods. Next you'll move on to a timeline application, built using concepts including pytest-Flask, the Blinker package, data modelling for user timelines, exception handling, and creating and organizing CLI tools.
Moving on, you'll discover how to implement a photo timeline application where you'll explore topics such as writing and running celery tasks, API error handling and testing, and Werkzeug middlewares.
Finally, the book walks you through creating an application which fetches data from GitHub and stores it locally. You will also learn how to install and configure Flask-Click extension.
STYLE AND APPROACH
This book covers how to effectively use the Flask micro-framework to develop a series of web applications. Each chapter focusses on the development of an application increasing in complexity with easy steps to follow. « less
Developing Web Applications with Python
Take full creative control of your web applications with Flask, the Python-based microframework. With this hands-on book, you’ll learn Flask from the ground up by developing a complete social blogging application step-by-step. Author Miguel Grinberg walks you through the framework’s core functionality, more » and shows you how to extend applications with advanced web techniques such as database migration and web service communication.
Rather than impose development guidelines as other frameworks do, Flask leaves the business of extensions up to you. If you have Python experience, this book shows you how to take advantage of that creative freedom. « less
Impatient for results? This is a fast, concise guide to the essentials of Flask with a totally practical approach that means you'll be up and running on your first Flask app before you know it.
* Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results
* Build more » a small but complete web application with Python and Flask
* Explore the basics of web page layout using Twitter Bootstrap and jQuery
* Get to know how to validate data entry using HTML forms and WTForms
* Understand SQLAlchemy and relational databases
Flask is a web framework for Python, which lets you start simply and grow carefully without facing any issues with the framework as your project gets large. Flask integrates Werkzeug (a web programming toolkit) and Jinja (a templating engine) and adds a layer that lets you build web applications and services in a compact way, while letting you choose your own tools.
Instant Flask Web Development takes you beyond the quick start in the Flask documentation and shows you a bottom-up approach to organizing your Flask application. It shows you how to build a small deployable scheduling application with pointers to the various design decisions you can make when developing with Flask.
Instant Flask Web Development lets you set up your development environment and learn how Flask handles web requests, then shows you how to build a functional data-driven web application that is ready to publish, by adding one layer at a time. When working with Flask, you can work with Python and utilize its best tools for the job. The book will help you build the layers of a simple application: URL routes with Flask, a database with SQLAlchemy, form validation with WTForms, user authentication and sessions, page layout with Twitter Bootstrap, and browser code with jQuery.
This book promises to get you up and running on your first Flask app, so that you can use Flask and Python on your next web project.
What you will learn from this book
* Manage your project dependencies using virtualenv
* Understand how Flask provides URL routing and web request handling
* Recognize how Flask serves static files on disk
* Learn about modeling, storing, and querying data with SQLAlchemy
* Present HTML forms and validate input with WTForms
* Build a page layout with Twitter Bootstrap using a base Jinja template
* Create, recall, update, delete, and list database records
* Build custom template filters in Jinja to format data
* Authenticate users and maintain sessions
Filled with practical, step-by-step instructions and clear explanations for the most important and useful tasks. The book uses a bottom-up approach to help you build applications, and is full of step-by-step instructions and practical examples to help you improve your knowledge.
Who this book is written for
Instant Flask Web Development is for developers who are new to web programming, or are familiar with web programming but new to Flask. This book gives you a head start if you have some beginner experience with Python and HTML, or are willing to learn. « less