A Practical Guide for Beginners
What can your organization gain by adopting HTTP/2? How about faster, simpler, and more robust websites and applications? This practical guide demonstrates how the latest version of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol can dramatically improve website and application performance. You’ll take a deep dive into more » HTTP/2 details, and learn how this updated protocol is changing the web landscape.
HTTP/1.1 has been the primary means of communicating data across the Web for the past 20 years, but the level of interaction today has gone well beyond what people envisioned in 1997. With this book, authors Stephen Ludin and Javier Garza show you how HTTP/2 will help speed the execution of modern sites and applications.
With this book, you’ll explore:
* Performance challenges that led to the HTTP upgrade
* HTTP/2 in a nutshell, including benefits and transition methods
* How Google’s SPDY networking protocol paved the way for HTTP/2
* Existing best practices and hacks to improve web performance
* HTTP/2 support for browsers, servers, proxies, and content delivery networks
* How the performance of sites using HTTP/2 compares to their HTTP/1.1 experience—including the good, bad, and the ugly
* HTTP/2’s effect on specific issues such as latency, packet loss, and Time to First Byte (TTFB) « less
Master the future of mobile devices in wearable technology
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Mastering Android Wear Development is a complete guide to wearable technology for experienced Android developers
* Notifications, voice input, coping with round screens – all the key challenges of wearable technology are covered
* This book describes not just how to write code for more » wearables, but also how to think about wearable technology and design apps that work well with the physical limitations of wearable devices
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is for application developers (the web, mobile, and desktop) who are interested in building new wearable apps, and mobile developers who already have apps on iTunes or Google Play Store and are looking to provide Android Wear support for their existing Android or iOS apps.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Understand the Wearable computing technology
* Set up a development environment to build Android Wear apps using Android Studio
* Master the Android Wear SDK and APIs
* Understand the UI patterns and UX principles to build Android Wear apps
* Work with the different form factors of wearable devices (round and square)
* Take advantage of the sensors available on Android Wear devices
* Develop Android Wear sample apps
* Communicate between Android mobile and Android Wear apps
* Get to know the steps involved in publishing Android Wear apps to the Play store
Wearable technology is the future of mobile devices. It looks set to be a breakthrough technology, just like the iPad was before it. With the Apple Watch being widely regarded as a success, all eyes are now on Google to provide a similar device for its users. Keep your skills ahead of the competition and be one of the first to fully understand this powerful new trend. This book will give you a very solid understanding of the philosophy, thought process, development details, and methodologies involved in building well-designed, robust Android Wear applications.
We cover the advantages and disadvantages of the wearable computing paradigm and provide a good foundational knowledge for you to build practical, real-world wearable apps. You will learn about the various tools, platforms, libraries, SDKs, and technology needed to build Android Wear apps. By the end of the book, you will be an expert in building Android wearable apps.
STYLE AND APPROACH
This one-stop professional tutorial will teach you everything you need to know to begin designing and developing applications for this exciting new technology. Every step from development through testing to deployment is explained in depth. « less
Build stunning, maintainable, cross-platform mobile application user interfaces with the power of Xamarin
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Create, configure, and customize stunning platform-specific features as well as cross-platform UIs with the power of Xamarin Forms.
* Maximize the testability, flexibility, and overall quality of your Xamarin apps.
* Get the most out of Xamarin.Forms and create your own reusable more » templates with C# scripting in Xamarin.
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
If you are a mobile developer with basic knowledge of Xamarin and C# coding, then this book is for you.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Develop stunning native cross-platform apps using the Xamarin.Forms framework
* Work with the different UI layouts to create customized layouts using the C# programming language and tweak it for a given platform
* Customize the user interface using DataTemplates and CustomRenderers and the Platform Effects API to change the appearance of control elements
* Build hybrid apps using the Razor Template Engine and create Razor Models that communicate with a SQLite database
* Use location based features within your app to display the user's current location
* Work with the Xamarin.Forms Map control to display Pin placeholders based on the stored latitude and longitude coordinates
* Understand and use the MVVM pattern architecture to navigate between each of your ViewModels and implement Data Binding to display and update information
* Work with the Microsoft Azure Platform to incorporate API Data Access using Microsoft Azure App Services and the RESTful API
* Incorporate third-party features within your app using the Facebook SDK and the Open Graph API
* Perform unit testing and profile your Xamarin.Forms applications
* Deploy your apps to the Google Play Store and Apple App Store
Xamarin is the most powerful cross-platform mobile development framework. If you are interested in creating stunning user interfaces for the iOS and Android mobile platforms using the power of Xamarin and Xamarin.Forms, then this is your ticket.
This book will provide you the practical skills required to develop real-world Xamarin applications. You will learn how to implement UI structures and layouts, create customized elements, and write C# scripts to customize layouts. You will create UI layouts from scratch so that you can tweak and customize a given UI layout to suit your needs by using Data Templates.
Moving on, you will use third-party libraries – such as the Razor template engine that allows you to create your own HTML5 templates within the Xamarin environment – to build a book library Hybrid solution that uses the SQLite.Net library to store, update, retrieve, and delete information within a SQLite local database. You'll also implement key data-binding techniques that will make your user interfaces dynamic, and create personalized animations and visual effects within your user interfaces using Custom Renderers and the PlatformEffects API to customize and change the appearance of control elements.
At the end of this book, you will test your application UI for robust and consistent behavior and then explore techniques to deploy to different platforms.
STYLE AND APPROACH
This easy to follow guide will walk you through building a real world Xamarin.Forms mobile app from start to finish. Each chapter builds upon the app using a step-by-step methodology that applies new advanced functionalities, design patterns, and best practices. « less
Note: Beginning Android Programming was previously published as Launch Your Android App.
Beginning Android Programming will teach you to develop Android Apps using Android Studio while walking through the creation of three complete apps. You will learn how to use various layouts and controls (ScrollView, more » ListViews and more). You'll learn how to create and write to files and the required permissions to allow apps to write to files.
You'll learn Sqlite database creation with inserting and updating data while you create an app which allows you to Capture text data from other apps (QuoteCap). You'll learn all this and much more and I've written this book using a method which incorporates over 200 images so you can see exactly what you will see when you sit down in front of Android Studio and develop your own apps. Learn As You Read Read the book and see every screenshot you’ll encounter as you actually develop your app. Then, when you sit down to write your own app you will speed through development. I am writing the book as a walk-through in an attempt to create a better information product.
I am hoping that this method will allow you to read and experience development as if you are looking over an Android developer's shoulder. I believe this will be an effective way of covering the intense subject of Android Development. Attempt At Creating A Hybrid Format This is somewhat of a hybrid format of a video tutorial merged with a book. What Am I Attempting to Solve With This Format? It's an attempt to solve the challenge of reading a book and needing to type code to see the results. Instead, here you will be able to focus on reading and experiencing the code as if you are looking over an Android developer's shoulder the first time. Then, after reading the chapter, it will be far easier to go and write the code yourself only briefly referring back to the book. Is There Value Added? I believe, even if you are an advanced developer you will find the walk-through quite interesting, because you can simply skim through the article (and book) as a preview of what you will see when you sit down and work with Android Studio.
I hope you find this enjoyable. Here are some more details of the book provided in my introductory chapter. Introduction What will Launch Your Android App cover? Everything from installing Android Studio through deploying your Android app to the Google Play store. Focus On Running Apps The main focus is on getting your App running. You will learn how to develop Android apps, but we will always focus on running your app on emulators and devices. Deploying code to devices and emulators requires a few tricks and this book will empower you to be able to deploy to those devices so you can see your app run everywhere. « less
A Cloud-based Approach
This book investigates the cloud-based techniques of content distribution mainly for mobile Internet. It starts with hot topics such as cellular traffic optimization and video content delivery. By integrating the cloud scheme, it further tackles issues of traffic-saving, energy-efficient, high-speed, more » and delay-tolerant content delivery with regard to mobile Internet. It covers both theoretical algorithms and their real-world system implementations.
In particular, various well-known cloud platforms such as Baidu Traffic Guard, Tencent QQXuanfeng, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, and Dropbox are elaborated respectively in the book. Lastly, it includes an educational and experimental cloud computing platform allowing public access, which benefits researchers, practitioners, and developers in the field of cloud computing/storage and mobile Internet. Throughout the book there are helpful and practical tips on setting up cloud systems that readers can easily follow. « less
Effective UX for Current and Future Devices
Now may be the perfect time to enter the wearables industry. With the range of products that have appeared in recent years, you can determine which ideas resonate with users and which don’t before leaping into the market. In this practical guide, author Scott Sullivan examines the current wearables ecosystem more » and then demonstrates the impact that service design in particular will have on these types of devices going forward.
You’ll learn about the history and influence of activity trackers, smartwatches, wearable cameras, the controversial Google Glass experiment, and other devices that have come out of the recent Wild West period. This book also dives into many other aspects of wearables design, including tools for creating new products and methodologies for measuring their usefulness.
* Emerging types of wearable technologies
* How to design services around wearable devices
* Key concepts that govern service design
* Prototyping processes and tools such as Arduino and Processing
* The importance of storytelling for introducing new wearables
* How wearables will change our relationship with computers « less
A Problem-Solution Approach
Master game development with the Android SDK to develop highly interactive and amazing games
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Develop complex Android games from scratch
* Learn the internals of a game engine by building one
* A succinct, hands-on guide to enhance your game development skills with Android SDK
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
If you are an intermediate-level Android developer who wants to create more » highly interactive and amazing games with the Android SDK, then this book is for you.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Understand the internals of a game engine and the reasoning behind each of the components
* Decide when to use each of the different ways of drawing on Android
* Handle user inputs, from virtual joysticks to gamepads
* Implement collision detection using different techniques and discover how to optimize it for complex games
* Use animations and particle systems to provide a rich experience
* Create beautiful, responsive, and reusable UIs by taking advantage of the Android SDK
* Integrate Google Play Services to provide achievements and leaderboards to the players
Gaming has historically been a strong driver of technology, whether we're talking about hardware or software performance, the variety of input methods, or graphics support, and the Android game platform is no different. Android is a mature, yet still growing, platform that many game developers have embraced as it provides tools, APIs, and services to help bootstrap Android projects and ensure their success, many of which are specially designed to help game developers.
This book is a progressive, hands-on guide to developing highly interactive and complex Android games from scratch. You will learn all the aspects of developing a game using a space shooter game as the example that will evolve with you through the chapters. You will learn all about frame-by-frame animations and resource animations. You will also create beautiful and responsive menus and dialogs and explore the different options for playing sound effects and music in Android.
You will then learn the basics of creating a particle system and how to use the Leonids library. Finally, we will configure and use Google Play Services on the developer console and port our game to the big screen. « less
427 Amazing New Tricks You've Never Tried
Learn how to develop applications for Android mobile devices using simple examples, ready to run with your copy of the software development kit. Author and Android columnist, writer, developer, and community advocate Mark L. Murphy shows you what you need to know to get started on programming Android more » applications–everything from crafting graphical user interfaces to using GPS, accessing web services, and more!
The Android development platform, created by Google and the Open Handset Alliance, is a platform in its truest sense, encompassing hundreds of classes beyond the traditional Java classes and open source components that ship with the SDK. Some Android books race through the material, trying to cover as much ground as possible in as few pages as possible. Experienced writer and community advocate Mark Murphy shows you how to develop Android applications simply and with care.
The book includes dozens of sample projects, ready to run with your copy of the SDK―not just one huge project where you have difficulty finding the specific examples of the technique you are looking for. You can even get these sample programs online at Apress.com. « less