Build your network, find a job, and been seen as a thought leader LinkedIn is your number-one personal branding tool, and this friendly guide shows you how to harness it to build connections and relationships—and stand out in the world's largest professional network. LinkedIn For Dummies walks you step more » by step through creating an eye-catching profile and demonstrates how to successfully expand your reach by connecting with colleagues, customers, and like-minded individuals from around the globe. Plus, you'll discover how to become a thought leader by publishing your cutting-edge research on LinkedIn's native publishing network, Pulse, and interact with your connections through updates.
Connections have never been more vital to a successful career, and this new edition of LinkedIn For Dummies is here to make sure you don't miss out on your next big opportunity! From keeping track of your LinkedIn activities and writing and requesting recommendations to finding a job and using LinkedIn to cultivate sales leads, this friendly guide is the missing piece you've been waiting for to take your career from good to great—all with the click of a few buttons.
* Create a LinkedIn profile that showcases your skills and attracts contacts
* Find and connect with colleagues and industry leaders
* Understand LinkedIn etiquette and best practices
* Use LinkedIn to find a job, develop sales leads, and market your services
Don't be left out—link up with this fully updated introduction to the Internet's hottest professional networking tool. « less
Your ticket to entering the exciting world of Macs! If you've always thought computers were too complicated and intimidating, you're in for a pleasant surprise! Written and designed with your unique needs in mind, Macs For Seniors For Dummies makes it faster and easier than ever to experience all your more » Apple computer has to offer. In no time, you'll find out how to stay connected with family and friends, explore the Internet, create and print documents, watch your favorite movies, get apps from the App Store, and so much more.
From advice on which Mac you should buy to getting started with set up and configurations, this hands-on, accessible guide covers everything needed to help you make the most of your new computer. You'll learn how to customize OS X El Capitan, work with files and folders, connect to a printer, use Safari to browse the web, and keep in touch through social media—and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
* Set up your Mac and move around the desktop
* Make FaceTime calls and send emails
* Store photos and files using iCloud
* Play videos, music, and games
With the help of Macs For Seniors For Dummies, you'll soon discover that you don't have to be a millennial to make a Mac your minion! « less
This second edition of Digital Optical Communications provides a comprehensive treatment of the modern aspects of coherent homodyne and self-coherent reception techniques using algorithms incorporated in digital signal processing (DSP) systems and DSP-based transmitters to overcome several linear and more » nonlinear transmission impairments and frequency mismatching between the local oscillator and the carrier, as well as clock recovery and cycle slips. These modern transmission systems have emerged as the core technology for Tera-bits per second (bps) and Peta-bps optical Internet for the near future.
Featuring extensive updates to all existing chapters, Advanced Digital Optical Communications, Second Edition:
* Contains new chapters on optical fiber structures and propagation, optical coherent receivers, DSP equalizer algorithms, and high-order spectral DSP receivers
* Examines theoretical foundations, practical case studies, and MATLAB® and Simulink® models for simulation transmissions
* Includes new end-of-chapter practice problems and useful appendices to supplement technical information
Downloadable content available with qualifying course adoption
Advanced Digital Optical Communications, Second Edition supplies a fundamental understanding of digital communication applications in optical communication technologies, emphasizing operation principles versus heavy mathematical analysis. It is an ideal text for aspiring engineers and a valuable professional reference for those involved in optics, telecommunications, electronics, photonics, and digital signal processing. « less
Theory, Practice, and Development
Cloud computing is the most significant technology transformation since the introduction of the Internet in the early 1990s. As more and more companies and educational institutions plan to adopt a cloud-based IT infrastructure, today’s job market requires IT professionals who understand cloud computing more » and have hands-on experience developing cloud-based networks. Cloud Computing Networking: Theory, Practice, and Development covers the key networking and system administration concepts as well as the vital hands-on skills you need to master cloud technology.
This book is designed to help you quickly get started in deploying cloud services for a real-world business. It provides detailed step-by-step instructions for creating a fully functioning cloud-based IT infrastructure using the Microsoft Azure cloud platform. In this environment, you can develop cloud services collaboratively or individually. The book enhances your hands-on skills through numerous lab activities. In these lab activities, you will learn to
* Implement the following services in a cloud environment: Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, and Certificate Services
* Configure Windows Server so it can route IP traffic
* Implement IP Security Policy and Windows Firewall with Advanced Security tools
* Create a point-to-site connection between Microsoft Azure and a local computer
* Create a site-to-site connection between Microsoft Azure and an on-premises network
* Develop a hybrid cloud that integrates Microsoft Azure with a private cloud created on a local network
Cloud Computing Networking: Theory, Practice, and Development includes numerous examples, figures, and screen shots to help you understand the information. Each chapter concludes with a summary of the major topics and a set of review questions. With this book, you will soon have the critical knowledge and skills to develop and manage cloud-based networks. « less
The rapid proliferation of Multimedia and Network Information Systems is one of the key features of our times. What is also important is that the pace of change is ever increasing. University projects of today will form the core of consumer products of tomorrow.
Therefore, it is very important to more » have a broad view of the recent scientific investigation in that area. This was the primary reason for gathering this collection of carefully selected and hopefully representative research projects, found solutions, and finally applications. They are the achievements of scientific teams from several countries.
The contents of the monograph has been divided into four parts:
1) Multimedia Information Technology,
2) Information Systems Specification,
3) Information Systems Applications,
4) Web Systems and Network Technologies.
The book presents up to date research from the diverse fields of multimedia and Internet data processing. « less
The recent digital and mobile revolutions are a minor blip compared to the next wave of technological change, as everything from robot swarms to skin-top embeddable computers and bio printable organs start appearing in coming years. In this collection of inspiring essays, designers, engineers, and researchers more » discuss their approaches to experience design for groundbreaking technologies.
Design not only provides the framework for how technology works and how it’s used, but also places it in a broader context that includes the total ecosystem with which it interacts and the possibility of unintended consequences. If you’re a UX designer or engineer open to complexity and dissonant ideas, this book is a revelation.
* Stephen Anderson, PoetPainter, LLC
* Lisa Caldwell, Brazen UX
* Martin Charlier, Independent Design Consultant
* Jeff Faneuff, Carbonite
* Andy Goodman, Fjord US
* Camille Goudeseune, Beckman Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
* Bill Hartman, Essential Design
* Steven Keating, MIT Media Lab, Mediated Matter Group
* Brook Kennedy, Virginia Tech
* Dirk Knemeyer, Involution Studios
* Barry Kudrowitz, University of Minnesota
* Gershom Kutliroff, Omek Studio at Intel
* Michal Levin, Google
* Matt Nish-Lapidus, Normative
* Erin Rae Hoffer, Autodesk
* Marco Righetto, SumAll
* Juhan Sonin, Involution Studios
* Scott Stropkay, Essential Design
* Scott Sullivan, Adaptive Path
* Hunter Whitney, Hunter Whitney and Associates, Inc.
* Yaron Yanai, Omek Studio at Intel « less
Securing Your Windows Network Systems and Infrastructure
Windows 2012 Server Network Security provides the most in-depth guide to deploying and maintaining a secure Windows network. The book drills down into all the new features of Windows 2012 and provides practical, hands-on methods for securing your Windows systems networks, including:
* Secure remote more » access
* Network vulnerabilities and mitigations
* DHCP installations configuration
* MAC filtering
* DNS server security
* WINS installation configuration
* Securing wired and wireless connections
* Windows personal firewall
* Remote desktop services
* Internet connection sharing
* Network diagnostics and troubleshooting
Windows network security is of primary importance due to the sheer volume of data residing on Windows networks. Windows 2012 Server Network Security provides network administrators with the most focused and in-depth coverage of Windows network security threats along with methods and techniques for securing important mission-critical networks and assets. The book also covers Windows 8.
* Provides practical examples of how to secure your Windows network.
* Focuses specifically on Windows network security rather than general concepts.
* One of the first books to cover Windows Server 2012 network security. « less
The Most Complete, Easy-to-Follow Guide to Ubuntu Linux
* The #1 Ubuntu server resource, fully updated for Ubuntu 10.4 (Lucid Lynx)–the Long Term Support (LTS) release many companies will rely on for years!
* Updated JumpStarts help you set up Samba, Apache, Mail, FTP, NIS, OpenSSH, DNS, and other more » complex servers in minutes
* Hundreds of up-to-date examples, plus comprehensive indexes that deliver instant access to answers you can trust
Mark Sobell’s A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux®, Third Edition, is the most thorough and up-to-date reference to installing, configuring, and working with Ubuntu, and also offers comprehensive coverage of servers—critical for anybody interested in unleashing the full power of Ubuntu.
This edition has been fully updated for Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx), a milestone Long Term Support (LTS) release, which Canonical will support on desktops until 2013 and on servers until 2015.
Sobell walks you through every essential feature and technique, from installing Ubuntu to working with GNOME, Samba, exim4, Apache, DNS, NIS, LDAP, g ufw, firestarter, iptables, even Perl scripting. His exceptionally clear explanations demystify everything from networking to security.
You’ll find full chapters on running Ubuntu from the command line and desktop (GUI), administrating systems, setting up networks and Internet servers, and much more. Fully updated JumpStart sections help you get complex servers running—often in as little as five minutes.
Sobell draws on his immense Linux knowledge to explain both the “hows” and the “whys” of Ubuntu. He’s taught hundreds of thousands of readers and never forgets what it’s like to be new to Linux. Whether you’re a user, administrator, or programmer, you’ll find everything you need here—now, and for many years to come.
The world’s most practical Ubuntu Linux book is now even more useful!
This book delivers
* Hundreds of easy-to-use Ubuntu examples
* Important networking coverage, including DNS, NFS, and Cacti
* Coverage of crucial Ubuntu topics such as sudo and the Upstart init daemon
* More detailed, usable coverage of Internet server configuration, including Apache (Web) and exim4 (email) servers
* State-of-the-art security techniques, including up-to-date firewall setup techniques using gufw and iptables, and a full chapter on OpenSSH
* A complete introduction to Perl scripting for automated administration
* Deeper coverage of essential admin tasks–from managing users to CUPS printing, configuring LANs to building a kernel
* Complete instructions on keeping Ubuntu systems up-to-date using aptitude, Synaptic, and the Software Sources window
* And much more...including a 500+ term glossary
Includes DVD!Get the full version of Lucid Lynx, the latest Ubuntu LTS release! « less
The Digital Signal Processing Handbook
Now available in a three-volume set, this updated and expanded edition of the bestselling The Digital Signal Processing Handbook continues to provide the engineering community with authoritative coverage of the fundamental and specialized aspects of information-bearing signals in digital form. Encompassing more » essential background material, technical details, standards, and software, the second edition reflects cutting-edge information on signal processing algorithms and protocols related to speech, audio, multimedia, and video processing technology associated with standards ranging from WiMax to MP3 audio, low-power/high-performance DSPs, color image processing, and chips on video. Drawing on the experience of leading engineers, researchers, and scholars, the three-volume set contains 29 new chapters that address multimedia and Internet technologies, tomography, radar systems, architecture, standards, and future applications in speech, acoustics, video, radar, and telecommunications.
Emphasizing theoretical concepts, Digital Signal Processing Fundamentals provides comprehensive coverage of the basic foundations of DSP and includes the following parts: Signals and Systems; Signal Representation and Quantization; Fourier Transforms; Digital Filtering; Statistical Signal Processing; Adaptive Filtering; Inverse Problems and Signal Reconstruction; and Time–Frequency and Multirate Signal Processing. « less
Continuing a bestselling tradition, An Introduction to Cryptography, Second Edition provides a solid foundation in cryptographic concepts that features all of the requisite background material on number theory and algorithmic complexity as well as a historical look at the field.
With numerous additions more » and restructured material, this edition presents the ideas behind cryptography and the applications of the subject. The first chapter provides a thorough treatment of the mathematics necessary to understand cryptography, including number theory and complexity, while the second chapter discusses cryptographic fundamentals, such as ciphers, linear feedback shift registers, modes of operation, and attacks. The next several chapters discuss DES, AES, public-key cryptography, primality testing, and various factoring methods, from classical to elliptical curves. The final chapters are comprised of issues pertaining to the Internet, such as pretty good privacy (PGP), protocol layers, firewalls, and cookies, as well as applications, including login and network security, viruses, smart cards, and biometrics. The book concludes with appendices on mathematical data, computer arithmetic, the Rijndael S-Box, knapsack ciphers, the Silver-Pohlig-Hellman algorithm, the SHA-1 algorithm, radix-64 encoding, and quantum cryptography.
New to the Second Edition:
An introductory chapter that provides more information on mathematical facts and complexity theory
Expanded and updated exercises sets, including some routine exercises
More information on primality testing and cryptanalysis
Accessible and logically organized, An Introduction to Cryptography, Second Edition is the essential book on the fundamentals of cryptography. « less