* Updated for JIRA 7, this book covers all the new features introduced in JIRA 7 with a dedicated chapter on JIRA Service Desk—one of the biggest new add-ons to JIRA
* This book lays a strong foundation to work with agile projects in JIRA from both the administrator and end user's perspective
* more » Work through step-by-step exercises at the end of each chapter for you to try out and reinforce your skills
Atlassian JIRA is an enterprise-issue tracker system. One of its key strengths is its ability to adapt to the needs of the organization, ranging from building Atlassian application interfaces to providing a platform for add-ons to extend JIRA's capabilities.
JIRA 7 Essentials, now in its fourth edition, provides a comprehensive explanation covering all major components of JIRA 7, which includes JIRA Software, JIRA Core, and JIRA Service Works.
The book starts by explaining how to plan and set up a new JIRA 7 instance from scratch for production use before moving on to the more key features such as e-mails, workflows, business processes, and so on. Then you will understand JIRA's data hierarchy and how to design and work with projects in JIRA.
Issues being the corner stone of using JIRA, you will gain a deep understanding of issues and their purpose. Then you will be introduced to fields and how to use custom fields for more effective data collections. You will then learn to create new screens from scratch and customize it to suit your needs. The book then covers workflows and business processes, and you will also be able to set up both incoming and outgoing mail servers to work with e-mails. Towards the end, we explain JIRA's security model and introduce you to one of JIRA’s new add-ons: JIRA Service Desk, which allows you to run JIRA as a computer support portal.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Understand JIRA's data hierarchy and how to design and work with projects in JIRA
* Plan and set up a new JIRA 7 instance from scratch for production use
* Using JIRA for agile software projects, business process management, customer service support, and more
* Understand issues and work with them
* Design both system and custom fields to behave differently under different contexts
* Create and design your own screens and apply them to different project and issue types
* Gain an understanding of the workflow and its various components
* Set up both incoming and outgoing mail servers to work with e-mails
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Patrick Li is the cofounder of AppFusions and now works as a senior engineer there. AppFusions is one of the leading Atlassian experts, specializing in integration solutions with many enterprise applications and platforms, including IBM Connections, Jive, Google Apps, Box, SugarCRM, and more. He has worked in the Atlassian ecosystem for over 9 years, developing products and solutions for the Atlassian platform and providing expert consulting services.
He has authored numerous books and video courses covering JIRA 4 to 7, including JIRA Agile and JIRA Service Desk. He has extensive experience in designing and deploying Atlassian solutions from the ground up and customizing existing deployments for clients across verticals such as healthcare, software engineering, financial services, and government agencies.
You can check out his LinkedIn profile at https://www.linkedin.com/in/patrickliangli or visit his company website at https://www.appfusions.com/display/Dashboard/Bringing+it+together%2C+NOW.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Getting Started with JIRA
2. Using JIRA for Business Projects
3. Using JIRA for Agile Projects
4. Issue Management
5. Field Management
6. Screen Management
7. Workflow and Business Process
8. E-mails and Notifications
9. Securing JIRA
10. Searching, Reporting, and Analysis
11. JIRA Service Desk « less
Become an expert at using JIRA 7 through this one-stop guide!
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* This comprehensive guide will help you implement, customize and administer JIRA 7 application to meet the needs of your organization
* You will get to know the strategies needed to develop and deploy JIRA 7, along with best practices when working with Jira
* It covers the latest more » integrations of JIRA 7 with third-party platforms to help you professionally manage your software development projects
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
If you are a JIRA administrator who is managing small-to-medium JIRA instances and you want to learn how to manage enterprise-scale instances, then this book will help you expand your knowledge and equip you with advanced skills. Prior understanding of the JIRA core concepts is required.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Plan the installation and upgrade of your JIRA instance to the newest version
* Configure issue type schemes, create customized workflows, modify permission schemes, and change notification schemes
* Implement JIRA Service Desk to manage your support tickets
* Customize JIRA for test management, helpdesk, and requirement management
* Deploy JIRA for Agile tracking using the Scrum and Kanban techniques
* Develop JIRA add-ons to extend JIRA's functionality
* Migrate data from external systems using CSV import
* Integrate your JIRA application with third-party tools such as Confluence, SVN, and Git
Atlassian JIRA 7 is an enterprise issue tracker system. One of its key strengths is its ability to adapt to the needs of an organization, ranging from building software products to managing your support issues.
This book provides a comprehensive explanation covering all three components of JIRA 7, such as JIRA Software, JIRA Core, and Jira Service Desk. It shows you how to master the key functionalities of JIRA and its customizations and useful add-ons, and is packed with real-world examples and use cases.
You will first learn how to plan for a JIRA 7 installation and fetch data. We cover JIRA reports in detail, which will help you analyze your data effectively. You can add additional features to your JIRA application by choosing one of the already built-in add-ons or building a new one to suit your needs.
Then you'll find out about implementing Agile methodologies in JIRA by creating Scrum and Kanban boards. We'll teach you how to integrate your JIRA Application with other tools such as Confluence, SVN, Git, and more, which will help you extend your application. Finally, we'll explore best practices and troubleshooting techniques to help you find out what went wrong and understand how to fix it.
STYLE AND APPROACH
This comprehensive book covers the advanced and new features of JIRA 7 with the help of rich code-based, real-world examples and use cases. « less
A beginner's guide to JIRA for the Business User
JIRA 6.4 for the Rest of Us In today’s hectic business world where you are asked to do more, in less time, and with fewer resources, there is an accelerating need to improve work efficiencies. If you have not yet heard of JIRA, I’m sure you will, and very soon. JIRA is an outstanding Task, Process, and more » Project management software rapidly, and well deservedly, gaining market share.
JIRA allows you to inexpensively automate and simplify your work processes. In addition to task management, JIRA is an incredibly powerful and flexible tool for creating forms and building automated exception handling. JIRA 6.4 for the Rest of Us is written for the non-I.T. business user. It explains how JIRA works in non-technical language and includes practical exercises. The last part of the book contains detailed ‘scripts’ for customizing the most common elements of JIRA. Buy your copy today and unleash the power of JIRA in your organization.
NOTE: Due to the volume and complexity of images it is recommended you view Jira 6.4 for the Rest of Us with screen sizes 9 inches (23cm) or larger, or purchase the paperback version. NOTE: This 6.4 version contains minor changes from the previous version: "JIRA 6.3 for the Rest of Us". « less
Use the features of JIRA to manage projects and effectively handle bugs and software issues
Atlassian JIRA is an enterprise issue tracker system. One of its key strengths is its ability to adapt to the needs of the organization, ranging from building Atlassian application interfaces to providing a platform for add-ons to extend JIRA's capabilities.
JIRA Essentials, Third Edition provides more » a comprehensive explanation covering all major features of Atlassian JIRA, broken down and organized in logical order. The book starts by showing you how to set up your own JIRA instance before introducing you to key features and concepts such as business processes, workflows, e-mails, and notifications. This book will show you how to develop software more efficiently by planning, designing, and customizing your own JIRA implementation. At the end of each chapter, you will have the opportunity to put your newly acquired knowledge into practice by following a step-by-step, hands-on project that you will build throughout the book.
***** Who This Book Is For *****
If you wish to develop your practical skills with JIRA in order to install, use, and manage your projects, then this is the perfect book for you. You need to be familiar with software project management and basic computer operations, specifically the system on which you will use JIRA. « less