Problems and Solutions for Android Developers. Covers Android Nougat 7.0
This cookbook doesn't just teach you how to build Android apps; it also gives you the recipes you need to build real-world applications. Written by the author of the best-selling Java Cookbook, and with contributions from many members of the Android community, this book shows you how to do everything: more » working with multitouch, dealing with the phone (and the camera, accelerometer, GPS, and other built-in devices), working with web services, packaging an app for sale in the Android Market, and more.
This revised second edition includes new recipes on JSON, material design, and Android Studio IDE. If this book doesn't show you how to do it, you probably don't need it. The Android is gradually overtaking the iPhone as the hottest platform in mobile computing. Make sure you're on the bandwagon. « less
A Practical, Case-Study Approach
Build straightforward and maintainable APIs to create services that are usable and maintainable. Although this book focuses on distributed services, it also emphasizes how the core principles apply even to pure OOD and OOP constructs.
The overall context of Creating Maintainable APIs is to classify more » the topics into four main areas: classes and interfaces, HTTP REST APIs, messaging APIs, and message payloads (XML, JSON and JSON API as well as Apache Avro).
What You Will Learn:
* Use object-oriented design constructs and their APIs
* Create and manage HTTP REST APIs
* Create and manage maintainable messaging APIs, including the use of Apache Kafka as a principal messaging hub
* Handle message payloads via JSON
Who This Book Is For:This book is for any level software engineers and very experienced programmers. « less
Go Web Programming teaches you how to build scalable, high-performance web applications in Go using modern design principles.
About the Technology
The Go language handles the demands of scalable, high-performance web applications by providing clean and fast compiled code, garbage collection, more » a simple concurrency model, and a fantastic standard library. It's perfect for writing microservices or building scalable, maintainable systems.
About the Book
Go Web Programming teaches you how to build web applications in Go using modern design principles. You'll learn how to implement the dependency injection design pattern for writing test doubles, use concurrency in web applications, and create and consume JSON and XML in web services. Along the way, you'll discover how to minimize your dependence on external frameworks, and you'll pick up valuable productivity techniques for testing and deploying your applications.
* Testing and benchmarking
* Using concurrency
* Deploying to standalone servers, PaaS, and Docker
* Dozens of tips, tricks, and techniques
About the Reader
This book assumes you're familiar with Go language basics and the general concepts of web development.
About the Author
Sau Sheong Chang is Managing Director of Digital Technology at Singapore Power and an active contributor to the Ruby and Go communities.
Table of Contents
1. PART 1 GO AND WEB APPLICATIONS
2. Go and web applications
3. Go ChitChat
4. PART 2 BASIC WEB APPLICATIONS
5. Handling requests
6. Processing requests
7. Displaying content
8. Storing data
9. PART 3 BEING REAL
10. Go web services
11. Testing your application
12. Leveraging Go concurrency
13. Deploying Go « less
Skills for the Next-Generation Network Engineer
Automation is the new skillset that network engineers need to pick up. Much like sysadmins have had to learn how to use new tools like Chef and Puppet, network engineers are learning that they just can't do things manually anymore. With examples in each chapter, this practical book provides you with more » baseline skills in network programmability and automation, using a range of technologies including Linux, Python, JSON, and XML. No previous knowledge of software development, programming, automation, or DevOps is required.
* Understand the basics of Linux as applied to networking
* Learn how to use text editors and Python to automate networks
* Apply sound software design principles like continuous integration, DevOps, source control, etc. to optimize networks « less
Native Apps, Multiple Platforms
Answer the question "Can we build this for ALL the devices?" with a resounding YES. Learn how to build apps using seven different platforms: Mobile Web, iOS, Android, Windows, RubyMotion, React Native, and Xamarin. Find out which cross-platform solution makes the most sense for your needs, whether you're more » new to mobile or an experienced developer expanding your options. Start covering all of the mobile world today.
Understanding the idioms, patterns, and quirks of the modern mobile platforms gives you the power to choose how you develop. Over seven weeks you'll build seven different mobile apps using seven different tools. You'll start out with Mobile Web; develop native apps on iOS, Android, and Windows; and finish by building apps for multiple operating systems using the native cross-platform solutions RubyMotion, React Native, and Xamarin.
For each platform, you'll build simple, but non-trivial, apps that consume JSON data, run on multiple screen sizes, or store local data. You'll see how to test, how to build views, and how to structure code. You'll find out how much code it's possible to share, how much of the underlying platform you still need to know, and ultimately, you'll get a firm understanding of how to build apps on whichever devices your users prefer.
This book gives you enough first-hand experience to weigh the trade-offs when building mobile apps. You'll compare writing apps on one platform versus another and understand the benefits and hidden costs of cross-platform tools. You'll get pragmatic, hands-on experience writing apps in a multi-platform world.
What You Need:
You'll need a computer and some experience programming. When we cover iOS, you'll need a Mac, and when we cover Windows Phone you'll need a computer with Windows on it. It's helpful if you have access to an iPhone, Android phone, and Windows Phone to run the examples on the devices where mobile apps are ultimately deployed, but the simulators or emulator versions of those phones work great. « less
Leverage the power of Xamarin to create stunning cross-platform and native apps
* Helps you get a clear practical understanding of creating professional-grade apps with Xamarin
* Covers Xamarin.Forms, Xamarin Android, and Xamarin iOS
* If you want to transform yourself from an amateur mobile developer into a professional app developer across multiple platforms, more » then this is the ideal book for you
Do you want to create powerful, efficient, and independent apps from scratch that will leverage the Xamarin framework and code with C#? Well, look no further; you’ve come to the right place!
This is a learn-as-you-build practical guide to building eight full-fledged applications using Xamarin.Forms, Xamarin Android, and Xamarin iOS.
Each chapter includes a project, takes you through the process of building applications (such as a gallery Application, a text-to-speech service app, a GPS locator app, and a stock market app), and will show you how to deploy the application’s source code to a Google Cloud Source Repository. Other practical projects include a chat and a media-editing app, as well as other examples fit to adorn any developer’s utility belt.
In the course of building applications, this book will teach you how to design and prototype professional-grade applications implementing performance and security considerations.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Discover eight different ways to create your own Xamarin applications
* Improve app performance by using SQLite for data-intensive applications
* Set up a simple web service to feed JSON data into mobile applications
* Store files locally with Xamarin.Forms using dependency services
* Use Xamarin extension libraries to create effective applications with less coding
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Michael Williams is an Insightful, results-driven full stack developer with notable experience in cross-platform development using Xamarin and native languages for multiple platforms. He also builds and researches server-side architecture using CQRS and event-sourcing. He shares his knowledge on his personal blog at (www.imobservable.com).
Also an entrepreneur, the owner of Flush Arcade, a company involved in developing creative, innovative, and ideative games (www.flusharcade.com).
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Building a Gallery Application
2. Building a SpeechTalk Application
3. Building a GPS Locator Application
4. Building an Audio Player Application
5. Building a Stocklist Application
6. Building a Chat Application
7. Building a File Storage Application
8. Building a Camera Application « less
A To-the-Point Guide to JSON
* Learn why JSON syntax represents data in name-value pairs
* Explore JSON data types, including object, string, number, and array
* Find out how you can combat common security concerns
* Learn how the JSON schema verifies that data is formatted correctly
* Examine the relationship between browsers, web APIs, and JSON
* Understand how web servers can both request and create data
* Discover how jQuery and other client-side frameworks use JSON
* Learn why the CouchDB NoSQL database uses JSON to store data « less
A Beginner's Guide
A practical guide to the Zend Framework
Perfect for real-world PHP developers working against aggressive deadlines, Zend Framework: A Beginner's Guide teaches you how to work smarter by taking full advantage of Zend Framework's extensibility, scalability, and flexibility. Learn how to use the Zend more » Framework to simplify and shorten the application development cycle, reduce testing time, and improve quality.
Zend Framework: A Beginner's Guide:
* Is written by a featured columnist with Zend Technologies
* Covers the most important components of the Zend Framework
* Introduces MVC concepts and theory, and then demonstrates real-world implementation of the theory
* Provides numerous projects and code examples
* Offers all code from the book for download
Essential skills made easy
Basic Features; Basic Principles and Conventions; Models; Controllers and Views; Authentication, Access Control and Sessions; Routing; Error Handling; Advanced Features; XML; Ajax and JSON; Localization; Web Services; Performance Optimization « less
Build Rich Applications that Run on the Desktop, the Web, Mobile Devices...Anywhere!
Using JavaFX, developers and graphic designers can work together to build robust, immersive applications and deploy them anywhere: on the desktop, on the Web, and on millions of Java-enabled mobile devices. JavaFX more » lets you maintain your existing graphics and seamlessly integrate them into Java applications. Plus, JavaFX Script is a declarative language that allows you to preserve your investment in the Java platform while allowing more creativity with JavaFX’s Rich Internet Application environment.
JavaFX™: Developing Rich Internet Applications brings together all the knowledge, techniques, and reusable code you need to quickly deliver production-quality solutions. Writing for both developers and designers, the authors explain how JavaFX simplifies and improves the RIA development process, and they show how to make the most of its ready-built components and frameworks.
JavaFX™ covers everything from data integration to multimedia, special effects to REST. The authors present a full chapter of code recipes and a complete case study application. This book’s wide-ranging content includes
* Building and running JavaFX programs
* Understanding the role of graphics designers in creating JavaFX Graphical Assets
* Writing fast, efficient JavaFX Script programs
* Using data binding to simplify Model-View-Controller application design
* Creating rich user experiences with JavaFX visual components
* Bringing user interfaces to life with lighting, reflection, and other special effects
* Adding motion with the JavaFX animation framework
* Incorporating pictures, sound, and videos in your applications
* Creating RESTful applications with JSON and XML
* Writing JavaFX applications that make the most of the underlying Java platform
The Java™ Series is supported, endorsed, and authored by the creators of the Java technology at Sun Microsystems, Inc. It is the official place to go for complete, expert, and definitive information on Java technology. The books in this Series provide the inside information you need to build effective, robust, and portable applications and applets. The Series is an indispensable resource for anyone targeting the Java platform. « less