Wield the power of the LibGDX framework to create a cross-platform game
LibGDX is a multiplatform game development framework, and is one of the most popular frameworks for building games, providing a comprehensive set of development capabilities and features to use and incorporate into games.
This book starts off by introducing you to LibGDX and how to use its project more » setup tool to build an application that can support multiple platforms, before gradually moving on to configuring your game. Then, you will learn to organize resources, create a scene, actors, and a menu system. You will also enhance the visual appearance of your game and manage its transitions, along with music and sound effects. You will then move on to cover the advanced programming techniques and create and manage different kinds of animations.
Finally, you will be introduced to the basics of 3D programming and the 3D physics engine. By the end of this book, you will be able to start developing your very own cross-platform games using the LibGDX framework. « less
*** Key Features ***
* Learn how to make a complete game from scratch using the LibGDX framework
* Discover different aspects of game development, optimize them, and implement them in your games
* This is a comprehensive guide packed with concepts that are covered in an incremental manner
*** more » Book Description ***
LibGDX is a very popular open source game framework for the Java programming language. It features deployment to multiple platforms with the same code base and it is very fast. Its vast amount of features makes it very easy to learn and master game development without knowing the low-level details.
LibGDX Cross-platform Development Blueprints teaches you the concepts of game development using the LibGDX framework as you make four complete games.
You'll start with setting up the environment, then move on to advanced concepts such as collision detection, memory optimization, and more. The first game is Monty Hall, where you'll learn how to set up LibGDX and use simple graphics. Then, you'll get to know more about concepts such as animation, game sounds, and scoring by developing a Whack a Mole game. This will set up the base for a Bounce the Ball game, where you'll get to grips with advanced concepts such as movements and collisions based on physics. Finally, the Dungeon Bob game will help you understand player motion.
This guide gives you everything you need to master game development with LibGDX.
*** What you will learn ***
* Set up the development environment and implement a very simple game type
* Implement new features such as motion, sounds, and randomness by implementing a new game
* Add music, physics, and menus to your games
* Start the creation of a platformer game and apply optimisation techniques
* Perform collision detection and manage the game assets
* Render game levels designed in the tool and add enemies
* Create multiple levels, enemy motion, and level transitions in the game
*** About the Author ***
Indraneel Potnis is a mobile developer who lives in Mumbai. He has worked in diverse areas of the IT industry, such as web development, QA, and mobile application development.
Since childhood, he has been interested in playing computer games, and he became interested in making them in college. He made a card game called Mendhicoat with a friend on the Android platform and released it on the Google Play store.
*** Table of Contents ***
1. Monty Hall Simulation
3. Catch the Ball
4. Dungeon Bob
5. Using the Tiled Map Editor
6. Drawing Tiled Maps
7. Collision Detection
8. Collectibles and Enemies
9. More Enemies and Shooting
10. More Levels and Effects « less
Over 75 practical recipes to help you master cross-platform 2D game development using the powerful Libgdx framework
Libgdx is a very popular open source, cross-platform, Java-based game development framework that enables you to write your code once and deploy it to Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and browsers.
Supported by code samples for each topic, this book will take you through the features of Libgdx, from more » the very basic aspects to the most advanced ones. Beginning with an overview of the framework and project creation, the book moves on to the 2D graphics API that enables you to create efficient and visually rich games. You will then explore input detection and audio and file handling, followed by details of how to make use of amazing features such as Box2D rigid body physics, lighting, and artifical intelligence techniques to name a few. You will also discover how to modify Libgdx to suit your needs and share your creation with the world. « less
Make the most of game development features powered by LibGDX and create a side-scrolling action game, Thrust Copter
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Utilize the robust features of LibGDX to easily create and publish cross-platform 2D and 3D games that involve complicated physics
* Be the best cross-platform game developer with the ability to create rich interactive applications on all the leading platforms
* Develop a 2D side more » scrolling game, Thrust Copter, add physics, and try to convert it to 3D while working on interesting LibGDX experiments
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
If you are a Java developer who wants to learn LibGDX and create great games, then this book is for you. To take full advantage of this book, you are expected to be familiar with Java or any other object-oriented language. Experience of using Eclipse will be very useful.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Wire up Eclipse with ADT, Gradle, and other relevant plugins
* Set up, upgrade, and maintain a Gradle-based LibGDX project
* Develop a complete Flappy Bird-like game, Thrust Copter, while learning about all of the relevant packages in LibGDX
* Create the menu and UI of the game using Scene2D
* Use the Particle Editor and add smoke and explosion effects to the game
* Convert the game to use Box2D physics in place of custom code
* Play with simple 3D scene experiments with integrated bullet physics
* Publish the game to Google Play, the App Store, and the Web
This book focuses on teaching LibGDX and its incredible features with a balanced mix of theory and practice. As you proceed through the book, you will create a 2D game in parallel and work on active coding as well. The source code of the game and all the experiments that are done in the book are also provided to get you started quickly and easily.
The game you will develop is a simple one, aimed at helping beginners learn the basics from start to finish. You will develop the complete game and as a next step you will integrate the Box2D physics engine by replacing the existing code. The book teaches you how to create GUI elements using Scene2D and helps you with everything that is involved, from the creation to the publishing of a game. In later chapters, you will learn about 3D in LibGDX and 3D physics using Bullet. The final chapter details the process involved in publishing the game to Google lPlay, Apple App Store, PC, and the Web.The book covers al the relevant topics of LibGDX game development but makes sure that even a beginner can easily follow the development with the help of sample code and illustrations. « less