Explore the powerful features of MariaDB with practical examples
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Install, configure, and manage MariaDB
* Store and manipulate data with MariaDB
* Get up and running with real-world, practical examples based on MariaDB 10
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is for anyone who wants to learn more about databases in general and wants to get started more » with MariaDB. Prior database experience is not required.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Install MariaBD on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux
* Configure MariaDB for better performance using the features of version 10
* Get familiar with the usage of operators for retrieving rows more selectively
* Use MariaDB 10's powerful tools to store, retrieve, and analyze data
* Secure MariaDB from unauthorized access
* Maintain the databases associated with MariaDB to ensure efficient and optimum functioning
* Retrieve data and learn how to sort, summarize, group, and manipulate it.
MariaDB is a database that has become very popular in the few short years that it has been around. It does not require a big server or expensive support contract. It is also powerful enough to be the database of choice for some of the biggest and most popular websites in the world, taking full advantage of the latest computing hardware available.
From installing and configuring through basic usage and maintenance, each chapter in this revised and expanded guide leads on sequentially and logically from the one before it, introducing topics in their natural order so you learn what you need, when you need it. The book is based on the latest release of MariaDB and covers all the latest features and functions. By the end of this beginner-friendly book, not only will you have a running installation of MariaDB, but you will have practical, hands-on experience in the basics of how to install, configure, administer, use, and maintain it. « less
Heading in the right direction with MySQL and MariaDB
If you’re a programmer new to databases—or just new to MySQL and its community-driven variant, MariaDB—you’ve found the perfect introduction. This hands-on guide provides an easy, step-by-step approach to installing, using, and maintaining these popular relational database engines.
Author Russell more » Dyer, Curriculum Manager at MariaDB and former editor of the MySQL Knowledge Base, takes you through database design and the basics of data management and manipulation, using real-world examples and many practical tips. Exercises and review questions help you practice what you’ve just learned.
* Create and alter MySQL tables and specify fields and columns within them
* Learn how to insert, select, update, delete, join, and subquery data, using practical examples
* Use built-in string functions to find, extract, format, and convert text from columns
* Learn functions for mathematical or statistical calculations, and for formatting date and time values
* Perform administrative duties such as managing user accounts, backing up databases, and importing large amounts of data
* Use APIs to connect and query MySQL and MariaDB with PHP and other languages « less
Over 95 recipes to unlock the power of MariaDB
***** About This Book *****
* Enable performance-enhancing optimizations
* Connect to different databases and file formats
* Filled with clear step-by-step instructions that can be run on a live database
***** Who This Book Is For *****
This book is for anyone who wants to learn more about more » databases in general or MariaDB in particular. Some familiarity with SQL databases is assumed, but the recipes are approachable to almost anyone with basic database skills.
***** What You Will Learn *****
* Enable various MariaDB optimizations
* Link MariaDB to a Cassandra cluster
* Enable and use the TokuDB storage engine
* Read from and write to various data formats including XML and CSV
* Search through your data with Sphinx
* Connect to other databases with ODBC
* Tune MariaDB for the best performance
***** In Detail *****
MariaDB is a new database that has become very popular. It is easy to install and use, even on personal systems. It is evolving and expanding to meet the database needs of today, tomorrow, and into the future. MariaDB is a drop in replacement for MySQL it also has a lot of new features and performance enhancements that differentiate it from MySQL. It is also powerful enough to be the database of choice for some of the biggest and most popular websites in the world.
This practical guide unlocks the advanced features of MariaDB's capabilities, including new storage engines, performance enhancing optimizations, and other advanced abilities. If you're looking to backend your enterprise, cloud, or embedded or mobile apps with a fast, free, open source, and familiar SQL database, MariaDB is perfect for you.
We begin with installing MariaDB and configuring it to unlock powerful optimizations that can speed up certain queries exponentially. We will then move on to using the extra storage engines included with MariaDB, such as TokuDB and the CONNECT engine. With those mastered, it's then time to branch out from single to multi-server installations, so we will dive into MariaDB's clustering and replication features, learning how to efficiently search and index our data, work with NoSQL-style data, and connect MariaDB with a Cassandra cluster. It's a dangerous world out there, so last of all, we wrap things up with recipes on securing MariaDB.
This is your ideal guide for getting the most out of MariaDB. « less
Learn how to use MariaDB to store your data easily and hassle-free
In the modern age, storing data is of paramount importance, and this is where databases enter the picture. MariaDB is a relatively new database that has become very popular in a short amount of time. It is a community-developed fork of MySQL and it is designed to be an enhanced and backward compatible more » database solution.
Getting Started with MariaDB is a practical, hands-on, beginner-friendly guide to installing and using MariaDB. This book will start with the installation of MariaDB before moving on to the basics. You will then learn how to configure and maintain your database with the help of real-world examples. « less