Master performance optimization for Unity3D applications with tips and techniques that cover every aspect of the Unity3D Engine
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Optimize CPU cycles, memory usage, and GPU throughput for any Unity3D application
* Master optimization techniques across all Unity Engine features including Scripting, Asset Management, Physics, Graphics Features, and Shaders
* A practical guide to exploring Unity Engine's many more » performance-enhancing methods
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is intended for intermediate and advanced Unity developers who have experience with most of Unity's feature-set, and who want to maximize the performance of their game. Familiarity with the C# language will be needed.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Use the Unity Profiler to find bottlenecks anywhere in our application, and discover how to resolve them
* Implement best-practices for C# scripting to avoid common pitfalls
* Develop a solid understanding of the rendering pipeline, and maximize its performance through reducing draw calls and avoiding fill rate bottlenecks
* Enhance shaders in a way that is accessible to most developers, optimizing them through subtle yet effective performance tweaks
* Keep our scenes as dynamic as possible by making the most of the Physics engine
* Organize, filter, and compress our art assets to maximize performance while maintaining high quality
* Pull back the veil on the Mono Framework and the C# Language to implement low-level enhancements that maximize memory usage and avoid garbage collection
* Get to know the best practices for project organization to save time through an improved workflow
Competition within the gaming industry has become significantly fiercer in recent years with the adoption of game development frameworks such as Unity3D. Through its massive feature-set and ease-of-use, Unity helps put some of the best processing and rendering technology in the hands of hobbyists and professionals alike. This has led to an enormous explosion of talent, which has made it critical to ensure our games stand out from the crowd through a high level of quality. A good user experience is essential to create a solid product that our users will enjoy for many years to come.
Nothing turns gamers away from a game faster than a poor user-experience. Input latency, slow rendering, broken physics, stutters, freezes, and crashes are among a gamer's worst nightmares and it's up to us as game developers to ensure this never happens. High performance does not need to be limited to games with the biggest teams and budgets.
Initially, you will explore the major features of the Unity3D Engine from top to bottom, investigating a multitude of ways we can improve application performance starting with the detection and analysis of bottlenecks. You'll then gain an understanding of possible solutions and how to implement them. You will then learn everything you need to know about where performance bottlenecks can be found, why they happen, and how to work around them.
This book gathers a massive wealth of knowledge together in one place, saving many hours of research and can be used as a quick reference to solve specific issues that arise during product development.
STYLE AND APPROACH
This book is organized based on the major features of Unity engine and should be treated as a reference guide. It is written as a series of investigations into both common and unusual performance pitfalls, each including a study on why the bottleneck is causing us problems, and a list of enhancements or features that can be used to work around them. Differences in effectiveness, behaviors, or feature-sets between Unity 4.x and Unity 5.x will be highlighted. « less
Write ultra responsive applications using the new asynchronous features of C#
* Learn about all the latest features of C#, including the asynchronous programming capabilities that promise to make apps ultra-responsive.
* Examine how C# evolved over the years to be more expressive, easier to write, and how those early design decisions enabled future innovations.
* more » Explore the language's bright future building applications for other platforms using the Mono Framework.
C# is a wonderfully expressive and powerful language that lets you focus on your application rather than low level boilerplate. Over the last decade, the C# compiler has evolved to include many features from dynamic and functional languages, all while remaining statically typed. Most recently, it also tackles the proliferation of concurrent hardware with new asynchronous programming features
"C# 5 First Look" will help you get up to speed on the latest version of the language. You will learn the underlying principles of the design by exploring its evolution, then look at the asynchronous and concurrent programming facilities of the Task Parallel Framework, and the new async and await keywords. The book also takes you through the development of real-world applications for Windows 8, ASP.NET, and MacOS, using the Mono Framework.
"C# 5 First Look" will help you get up to speed on the latest version of C#. After setting up your development environment, you will go on a tour of all features of the language, including: the Task Parallel Framework, Dynamic Language Runtime, TPL Data Flow, and finally asynchronous programming with async and await.
"C# 5 First Look" will help you get up to speed on the latest version of C#. We will discuss the tools you need to get started, including Visual Studio and MonoDevelop. Once set up, we look at the highlights of the language's evolution over every version and discuss how the framework's design and language features contribute to the high productivity you experience as a C# programmer. Next we check out the asynchronous and concurrent programming features of the language, which help you write fast and responsive applications. Finally, the book presents and explains three fully featured pieces of software that demonstrate writing applications for the Windows Store, the Web, and MacOS with the Mono Framework.
"C# 5 First Look" is a look at the evolution of C#. You will learn how to write great apps on all platforms using modern C# language features. Whether you are targeting the desktop, mobile, or web, C# 5 First Look has you covered.
What you will learn from this book
* Getting your environment set up with Visual Studio or MonoDevelop.
* Learn about the evolution of C# since its introduction in 2000.
* Talk about Language Integrated Queries (LINQ), and the Dynamic Language Runtime (DLR).
* Explore concurrent programming with the Task Parallel Framework (TPL).
* Discuss asynchrony in the latest version using async and await.
* Deploy applications on the Windows Store.
* Build a real-time ASP.Net MVC web app using SignalR and HTML 5.
* Target different platforms such as the MacOS with the Mono Framework.
This will be a mix of concept introduction and examples, and with each new feature and enhancement we will give an example to the readers. C# 5 First Look will provide a gist of C# 5 to the readers. « less