Modern Cross-Platform Development
* Build modern, cross-platform applications with .NET Core
* Get up to speed with C#, and up to date with all the latest features of C#
* Start creating professional web applications with ASP.NET Core
C# has recently been made open source and now supports cross-platform more » development for Linux, macOS, and Windows. It can be used to create everything from business applications, websites, and services to games for Android and iOS mobile phones and Xbox One. If you want to build powerful cross-platform applications with C# 7 and .Net Core, then this book is for you.
First, we'll run you through the basics of C#, as well as object-orient programming, before taking a quick tour through the latest features of C# 7 such as tuples, pattern matching, and out variables. We also look at the features of C# 6 such as string interpolation, exception filtering, and static class imports. We'll also cover both the full-feature, mature .NET framework and the newer, cross-platform .NET Core.
After quickly taking you through C# and how .NET works, we'll dive into the internals of the .NET class libraries, covering topics such as performance, monitoring, debugging, serialization, and encryption. We'll look at managing your data with Entity Framework Core, developing code-first entity data models, and using LINQ to query and manipulate that data.
The final section demonstrates the major types of applications that you can build and deploy cross-device and cross-platform. In this section, we'll cover Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps, web applications, and web services. Last, we'll help you build a complete application that can be hosted on all of today's most popular platforms, including Linux and Docker.
By the end of the book, you'll be armed with all the knowledge you need to build modern, cross-platform applications using C# and .NET Core.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Build cross-platform applications using C# 7 and .NET Core
* Explore ASP.NET Core and learn how to create professional web applications
* Improve your application's performance using multitasking
* Use Entity Framework Core and find out how to build code-first databases
* Master object-oriented programming with C# to increase code reuse and efficiency
* Familiarize yourself with cross-device app development using the Universal Windows Platform and XAML
* Query and manipulate data using LINQ
* Protect your data by using encryption and hashing « less
* Learn how to use the MVVM software architectural pattern and see the benefits of using it with Windows Presentation Fountain (WPF) * Explore various ways to enhance efficiency through performance tuning and UI automation
* Obtain a deep understanding of data validation and understand more » various methods that suit different situations
Windows Presentation Foundation is rich in possibilities when it comes to delivering an excellent user experience. This book will show you how to build professional-grade applications that look great and work smoothly. We start by providing you with a foundation of knowledge to improve your workflow - this includes teaching you how to build the base layer of the application, which will support all that comes after it. We’ll also cover the useful details of data binding. Next, we cover the user interface and show you how to get the most out of the built-in and custom WPF controls. The final section of the book demonstrates ways to polish your applications, from adding practical animations and data validation to improving application performance. The book ends with a tutorial on how to deploy your applications and outlines potential ways to apply your new-found knowledge so you can put it to use right away. The book also covers 2D and 3D graphics, UI automation, and performance tuning.
What you will learn
* Use MVVM to improve workflow
* Create visually stunning user interfaces
* Perform data binds proficiently Implement advanced data validation
* Locate and resolve errors quickly
* Master practical animations Improve your applications’ performance
About the Author
Sheridan Yuen is a Microsoft .NET MCTS and Oracle Java SCJP certified software developer, living in London, England. His passion for coding made him stand out from the crowd right from the start. From his second year onward at university, he was employed to be a teaching assistant for the first year student coding « less
Source code is one of the biggest assets of a software company. However if not maintained well, it can become a big liability. As source code becomes larger. more complex and accessed via the cloud, maintaining code quality becomes even more challenging. The author provides straightforward tools and advice on how to manage code quality in this new environment.
Roslyn exposes a set of APIs which allow developers to parse their C# and VB.NET code and drastically lower the barrier to entry for Meta programming in .NET. Roslyn has a dedicated set of APIs for creating custom refactoring for integrating with Visual Studio.
What You Will Learn
* Understand the Roslyn Syntax API
* Use Data Visualization techniques to assist code analysis process visually
* Code health monitoring matrices (from the standard of Code Query Language)
* Code mining techniques to identify design patterns used in source code
* Code forensics techniques to identify probable author of a given source code
* Techniques to identify duplicate/near duplicate code
Who This Book is For
.NET Software Developers and Architects « less
Trust the best-selling Official Cert Guide series from Cisco Press to help you learn, prepare, and practice for exam success. They are built with the objective of providing assessment, review, and practice to help ensure you are fully prepared for your certification exam.
CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-105 more » Official Cert Guide presents you with an organized test-preparation routine through the use of proven series elements and techniques. “Do I Know This Already?” quizzes open each chapter and enable you to decide how much time you need to spend on each section. Exam topic lists make referencing easy. Chapter-ending Exam Preparation Tasks help you drill on key concepts you must know thoroughly.
· Master Cisco CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-105 exam topics
· Assess your knowledge with chapter-opening quizzes
· Review key concepts with exam preparation tasks
· Practice with realistic exam questions on the CD-ROM
CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-105 Official Cert Guide from Cisco Press enables you to succeed on the exam the first time and is the only self-study resource approved by Cisco.
Best-selling author and expert instructor Wendell Odom shares preparation hints and test-taking tips, helping you identify areas of weakness and improve both your conceptual knowledge and hands-on skills.
This complete study package includes
· A test-preparation routine proven to help you pass the exams
· Do I Know This Already? quizzes, which enable you to decide how much time you need to spend on each section
· Chapter-ending and part-ending exercises, which help you drill on key concepts you must know thoroughly
· Troubleshooting sections, which help you master the complex scenarios you will face on the exam
· The powerful Pearson IT Certification Practice Test software, complete with hundreds of well-reviewed, exam-realistic questions, customization options, and detailed performance reports
· A free copy of the CCENT ICND1 100-105 Network Simulator Lite software, complete with meaningful lab exercises that help you hone your hands-on skills with the command-line interface for routers and switches
· Links to a series of hands-on config labs developed by the author
· Online, interactive practice exercises that help you hone your knowledge
· More than 90 minutes of video mentoring from the author
· A final preparation chapter, which guides you through tools and resources to help you craft your review and test-taking strategies
· Study plan suggestions and templates to help you organize and optimize your study time
Well regarded for its level of detail, study plans, assessment features, challenging review questions and exercises, video instruction, and hands-on labs, this official study guide helps you master the concepts and techniques that ensure your exam success.
This official study guide helps you master all the topics on the CCENT/CCNA ICND1 exam, including
· Networking fundamentals
· Implementing basic Ethernet LANs
· Ethernet LANs: design, VLANs, and troubleshooting
· IPv4 addressing and subnetting
· Implementing IPv4
· IPv4 design and troubleshooting
· IPv4 services: ACLs and NAT
· Network device management
The DVD contains more than 300 unique practice exam questions, ICND1 Network Simulator Lite software, online practice exercises, and 90 minutes of video training.
Includes Exclusive Offer for 70% Off Premium Edition eBook and Practice Test
Also available from Cisco Press for CCENT/CCNA study is the CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-105 Official Cert Guide Premium Edition eBook and Practice Test. This digital-only certification preparation product combines an eBook with enhanced Pearson IT Certification Practice Test.
This integrated learning package
· Enables you to focus on individual topic areas or take complete, timed exams
· Includes direct links from each question to detailed tutorials to help you understand the concepts behind the questions
· Provides unique sets of exam-realistic practice questions
· Tracks your performance and provides feedback on a module-by-module basis, laying out a complete assessment of your knowledge to help you focus your study where it is needed most
Pearson IT Certification Practice Test minimum system requirements:
Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, or Vista (SP2), Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 Client; Pentium-class 1 GHz processor (or equivalent); 512 MB RAM; 650 MB disk space plus 50 MB for each downloaded practice exam; access to the Internet to register and download exam databases « less
50 Specific Ways to Improve Your C#
In Effective C#, Third Edition, respected .NET expert Bill Wagner identifies 50 ways to harness the full power of the C# 6.0 language to write exceptionally robust, efficient, and well-performing code. Reflecting the growing sophistication of the C# language and its development community, Wagner has more » identified dozens of new ways to write better code. This edition’s new solutions include some that take advantage of generics and several that are more focused on LINQ, as well as a full chapter of advanced best practices for working with exceptions.
Wagner’s clear, practical explanations, expert tips, and realistic code examples have made Effective C# indispensable to hundreds of thousands of developers. Drawing on his unsurpassed C# experience, he addresses everything from resource management to multicore support, and reveals how to avoid common pitfalls in the language and its .NET environment. Learn how to choose the most effective solution when multiple options exist, and how to write code that’s far easier to maintain and improve. Wagner shows how and why to
* Prefer implicitly typed local variables (see Item 1)
* Replace string.Format() with interpolated strings (see Item 4)
* Express callbacks with delegates (see Item 7)
* Make the most of .NET resource management (see Item 11)
* Define minimal and sufficient constraints for generics (see Item 18)
* Specialize generic algorithms using runtime type checking (see Item 19)
* Use delegates to define method constraints on type parameters (see Item 23)
* Augment minimal interface contracts with extension methods (see Item 27)
* Create composable APIs for sequences (see Item 31)
* Decouple iterations from actions, predicates, and functions (see Item 32)
* Prefer lambda expressions to methods (see Item 38)
* Distinguish early from deferred execution (see Item 40)
* Avoid capturing expensive resources (see Item 41)
* Use exceptions to report method contract failures (see Item 45)
* Leverage side effects in exception filters (see Item 50)
You’re already a successful C# programmer, and this book will make you an outstanding one.
Content Update Program: This book is part of the InformIT Content Update Program. As updates are made to C#, sections of this book will be updated or new sections will be added to match updates to the technologies. See inside for details. « less
* Leverage your existing ASP.NET knowledge to develop dynamic and responsive SPAs
* Learn effective design patterns for sustainable, and scalable web development
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Get to know with industry-wide best practices and design patterns that provide maintainability and scalability
* Build an ASP.NET application using Angular 2 with TypeScript and Web API
* Explore WinJS and see how to use mobile capabilities from web applications
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Ovais Mehboob Ahmed Khan is a seasoned programmer and solution architect with more than 13 years of software development experience. He has worked in different organizations across Pakistan, the USA, and the Middle East. Currently, he is working for a government entity based in Dubai, and also provides consultancy services to a Microsoft gold partner firm based in New Jersey.
He is a Microsoft MVP in Visual Studio and Development Technologies and specializes mainly in Microsoft .NET and web development. He has authored numerous technical articles on different websites such as MSDN, TechNet, DZone, and personal blog at http://ovaismehboob.wordpress.com.
He is an active speaker and group leader of Microsoft Developers UAE Meetup, Microsoft Technology Practices, and Developers and Enterprise Practices user groups, and has presented various technical sessions in different events and conferences.
In short, Ovais is a passionate developer who is always interested in learning new technologies. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and on Twitter, @ovaismehboob.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
3. Using jQuery in ASP.NET
4. Ajax Techniques
5. Developing an ASP.NET Application Using Angular 2 and Web API
6. Exploring the WinJS Library
8. Node.js for ASP.NET Developers
* Write native cross-platform applications with Xamarin
* Design user interfaces that can be shared across Android, iOS, and Windows Phone using Xamarin.Forms
* Practical cross-platform development strategies
Xamarin is a leading cross-platform application development more » tool used by top companies such as Coca-Cola, Honeywell, and Alaska Airlines to build apps. Version 4 features significant updates to the platform including the release of Xamarin.Forms 2.0 and improvements have been made to the iOS and Android designers. Xamarin was acquired by Microsoft so it is now a part of the Visual Studio family.
This book will show you how to build applications for iOS, Android, and Windows. You will be walked through the process of creating an application that comes complete with a back-end web service and native features such as GPS location, camera, push notifications, and other core features. Additionally, you'll learn how to use external libraries with Xamarin and Xamarin.Forms to create user interfaces. This book also provides instructions for Visual Studio and Windows.
This edition has been updated with new screenshots and detailed steps to provide you with a holistic overview of the new features in Xamarin 4.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Apple's MVC design pattern
* The Android activity lifecycle
* Share C# code across platforms and call native Objective-C or Java libraries from C#
* Create a real web service back end in Windows Azure using SQL Azure as database storage
* Set up third-party libraries such as NuGet and Objective Sharpie in many different ways, and port a desktop .NET library to Xamarin
* Use Xamarin.Mobile for camera, contacts, and location
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Jonathan Peppers is a Xamarin MVP and lead developer on popular apps and games at Hitcents such as the Hanx Writer (for Tom Hanks) and the Draw a Stickman franchise. Jon has been working with C# for over 10 years working on a wide range of projects at Hitcents. Jon began his career working Self-Checkout software written in WinForms and later migrated to WPF. Over his career, he has worked with many .NET-centric technologies such as ASP.Net WebForms, MVC, Windows Azure, WinRT/UWP, F#, and Unity3D.
In recent years, Hitcents has been heavily investing in mobile development with Xamarin, and has development over 50 mobile applications across multiple platforms.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Xamarin Setup
2. Hello, Platforms!
3. Code Sharing Between iOS and Android
4. XamSnap - A Cross-Platform App
5. XamSnap for iOS
6. XamSnap for Android
7. Deploying and Testing on Devices
8. Contacts, Camera, and Location
9. Web Services with Push Notifications
10. Third-Party Libraries
12. App Store Submission « less
Covers iText 5
With iText, one can transform PDF documents into live, interactive applications quickly and easily. This free and open source library for Java and .NET is the leading tool of its kind, and was primarily developed and maintained by Bruno Lowagie, the author of this book.
iText in Action, Second Edition more » offers an introduction and a practical guide to iText and the internals of PDF. While at the entry level iText is easy to learn, there's an astonishing range of things you can do once you dive below the surface. This book lowers the learning curve and, through numerous innovative and practical examples, unlocks the secrets hidden in Adobe's PDF Reference.
This totally revised new edition introduces the new functionality added to iText in recent releases, and it updates all examples from JDK 1.4 to Java 5. The examples are in Java but they can be easily adapted to.NET. « less
Windows Presentation Foundation in .NET 4
Microsoft's Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) provides the foundation for building applications and high-quality user experiences for the Windows operating system. It blends the application user interface, documents, and media content, while exploiting the full power of your computer's operating more » system.
Its functionality extends to the support for tablet PCs and other forms of input device, and it provides a more modern imaging and printing pipeline, accessibility and UI automation infrastructure, data-driven user interfaces and visualization, and integration points for weaving the application experience into the Windows shell.
This book shows you how WPF really works. It provides you with the no-nonsense, practical advice that you need in order to build high-quality WPF applications quickly and easily. After giving you a firm foundation, it goes on to explore the more advance aspects of WPF and how they relate to the others elements of the .NET 4.0 platform and associated technologies such as Silverlight. « less
Achieving Optimal Database Application Performance and Scalability
The Data Access Handbook
Achieving Optimal Database Application Performance and Scalability
John Goodson • Robert A. Steward
Drive breakthrough database application performance by optimizing middleware and connectivity
Performance and scalability are more critical than ever in today’s enterprise more » database applications, and traditional database tuning isn’t nearly enough to solve the performance problems you are likely to see in those applications. Nowadays, 75-95% of the time it takes to process a data request is typically spent in the database middleware. Today’s worst performance and scalability problems are generally caused by issues with networking, database drivers, the broader software/hardware environment, and inefficient coding of data requests. In The Data Access Handbook, two of the world’s leading experts on database access systematically address these issues, showing how to achieve remarkable improvements in performance of real-world database applications.
Drawing on their unsurpassed experience with every leading database system and database connectivity API, John Goodson and Rob Steward reveal the powerful ways middleware affects application performance and guide developers with designing and writing API code that will deliver superior performance in each leading environment. In addition to covering essential concepts and techniques that apply across database systems and APIs, they present many API examples for ODBC, JDBC, and ADO.NET as well as database system examples for DB2, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, and Sybase.
* Clearly understanding how each component of database middleware can impact performance and scalability
* Writing database applications to reduce network traffic, limit disk I/O, optimize application-to-driver interaction, and simplify queries—including examples for ODBC, JDBC, and ADO.NET
* Managing connections, transactions, and SQL statement execution more efficiently
* Making the most of connection and statement pooling
* Writing good benchmarks to predict your application’s performance
* Systematically resolving performance problems—including eight start-to-finish case-study examples
If you’re a software architect, system designer, or database application developer, The Data Access Handbook will be your most indispensable database application performance resource. It’s the one book that focuses on the areas where you can achieve the greatest improvements—whether you’re designing new database applications or troubleshooting existing ones.
John Goodson is vice president and general manager of the DataDirect division of Progress Software, a leader in
data connectivity and mainframe integration. For 20 years, he has worked with Sun, Microsoft, and others to develop database connectivity standards such as J2EE, JDBC, ODBC, and ADO. He served on the ANSI H2 committee that built the SQL standard and now participates in the JDBC Expert Group and Java Rowsets standards committees.
Rob Steward, vice president of R&D at the DataDirect
division of Progress Software,
is responsible for the development, strategy, and oversight of the company’s data connectivity products. Rob has spent the past 15 years developing high-performing database driver and data providers, including ODBC, JDBC, and ADO.NET.
Both authors have spoken on database application performance at many industry events.
Visit www.dataaccesshandbook.com to get the code examples presented in this book and other supplemental information for DB2, MicrosoftSQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, and Sybase. « less