Using Slideware Effectively in Technical Presentations
Tagline: Communicating with PowerPoint and other presentation software
* Arm yourself with an arsenal of advanced chart types and geocoding to efficiently and engagingly present information
* Map a grid over a network node diagram and use that grid to demonstrate loads, processing time, and more in Tableau
* Integrate R with Tableau by utilizing R functions, more » libraries, and saved models
Tableau has emerged as one of the most popular Business Intelligence solutions in recent times, thanks to its powerful and interactive data visualization capabilities. This book will empower you to become a master in Tableau by exploiting the many new features introduced in Tableau 10.0.
You will embark on this exciting journey by getting to know the valuable methods of utilizing advanced calculations to solve complex problems. These techniques include creative use of different types of calculations such as row-level, aggregate-level, and more. You will discover how almost any data visualization challenge can be met in Tableau by getting a proper understanding of the tool's inner workings and creatively exploring possibilities.
You'll be armed with an arsenal of advanced chart types and techniques to enable you to efficiently and engagingly present information to a variety of audiences through the use of clear, efficient, and engaging dashboards. Explanations and examples of efficient and inefficient visualization techniques, well-designed and poorly designed dashboards, and compromise options when Tableau consumers will not embrace data visualization will build on your understanding of Tableau and how to use it efficiently.
By the end of the book, you will be equipped with all the information you need to create effective dashboards and data visualization solutions using Tableau.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Create a worksheet that can display the current balance for any given period in time
* Recreate a star schema from in a data warehouse in Tableau
* Combine level of detail calculations with table calculations, sets, and parameters
* Create custom polygons to build filled maps for area codes in the USA
* Visualize data using a set of analytical and advanced charting techniques
* Know when to use Tableau instead of PowerPoint
* Build a dashboard and export it to PowerPoint
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
David Baldwin has provided consulting in the business intelligence sector for 17 years. His experience includes Tableau training and consulting, developing BI solutions, project management, technical writing, and the web and graphic design. His vertical experience includes financial, healthcare, human resource, aerospace, energy, education, government, and entertainment industries. As a Tableau trainer and consultant, David enjoys serving a variety of clients throughout the USA. Tableau provides David a platform that collates his broad experience into a skill set that can service a diverse client base.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Getting Up to Speed – a Review of the Basics
2. All about Data – Getting Your Data Ready
3. All about Data – Joins, Blends, and Data Structures
4. All about Data – Data Densification, Cubes, and Big Data
5. Table Calculations
6. Level of Detail Calculations
7. Beyond the Basic Chart Types
9. Tableau for Presentations
10. Visualization Best Practices and Dashboard Design
11. Improving Performance
12. Interacting with Tableau Server
13. R Integration « less
Protocols for Secure Electronic Commerce, Third Edition presents a compendium of protocols for securing electronic commerce, or e-commerce, in consumer- and business-to-business applications. Attending to a variety of electronic payment systems currently in use around the globe, this edition:
* Updates more » all chapters to reflect the latest technical advances and developments in areas such as mobile commerce
* Adds a new chapter on Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies that did not exist at the time of the previous edition's publication
* Increases the coverage of PayPal in accordance with PayPal’s amplified role for consumers and businesses
* Expands the discussion of bank cards, dedicating a full chapter to magnetic stripe cards and a full chapter to chip-and-PIN technology
Protocols for Secure Electronic Commerce, Third Edition offers a state-of-the-art overview of best practices for the security of e-commerce, complete with end-of-chapter review questions and an extensive bibliography of specialized references. A Solutions Manual and PowerPoint slides are available with qualifying course adoption. « less
Theory and Practice
Introductory textbook in the important area of network security for undergraduate and graduate students * Comprehensively covers fundamental concepts with newer topics such as electronic cash, bit-coin, P2P, SHA-3, E-voting, and Zigbee security
* Fully updated to reflect new developments in network more » security
* Introduces a chapter on Cloud security, a very popular and essential topic
* Uses everyday examples that most computer users experience to illustrate important principles and mechanisms
* Features a companion website with Powerpoint slides for lectures and solution manuals to selected exercise problems, available at http://www.cs.uml.edu/~wang/NetSec « less
Data Analysis & Decision Making
Become a master of data analysis, modeling, and spreadsheet use with BUSINESS ANALYTICS: DATA ANALYSIS AND DECISION MAKING, 5E! This quantitative methods text provides users with the tools to succeed with a teach-by-example approach, student-friendly writing style, and complete Excel 2013 integration. more » It is also compatible with Excel 2010 and 2007. Problem sets and cases provide realistic examples to show the relevance of the material. The Companion Website includes: the Palisade DecisionTools Suite (@RISK, StatTools, PrecisionTree, TopRank, RISKOptimizer, NeuralTools, and Evolver); SolverTable, which allows you to do sensitivity analysis; data and solutions files, PowerPoint slides, and tutorial videos. « less
PowerPoint, the number one presentation software, has been revised and improved with the introduction of Microsoft Office 2013. With this all-new, full-color book by your side, you will learn how to take full advantage of all of PowerPoint's powerful and dynamic capabilities. Bestselling veteran For more » Dummies, author Doug Lowe breaks it all down so that you can create a powerful and effective slideshow presentation with the new wide-screen theme and variant that incorporates videos, pictures, and shapes, and allows you to create customized icons using powerful tools.
PowerPoint 2013 For Dummies points you to the power of this updated application so that you can create effective and impressive presentations. « less
With Windows 8
Learn Office the easy way, no jargon. Clear, concise and to the point. Using Office 2013 is the essential step by step guide to getting the most out of Microsoft Office traditional application (not SharePoint), providing a resource for both the beginner and the enthusiast.This book explores constructing more » professional looking documents; adding and using graphics and clipart; fonts, tables, graphs and formatting; creating stunning PowerPoint presentations for your lessons, lectures, speeches or business presentations; PowerPoint animations and effects; setting up your projector and laptop ready to present; using Excel to create spreadsheets to analyse data; Excel functions and formulas; Excel charts and graphs; and more...
Techniques are illustrated in step-by-step using photography and screen prints throughout, together with concise, easy to follow text from an established expert in the field, provide a comprehensive guide to office applications.
Whether you are new to Microsoft Office, an experienced user or studying a computer skills course this book will provide you with a firm grasp of the underpinning foundations and equip you with the skills needed to use Office. « less
Key Elements and Practical Programming
This book presents a guide to the core features of Java – and some more recent innovations – enabling the reader to build skills and confidence though tried-and-trusted stages, supported by exercises that reinforce key learning points. All of the most useful and commonly applied Java syntax and libraries more » are introduced, along with many example programs that can provide the basis for more substantial applications. Use of the Eclipse IDE and the JUnit testing framework is integral to the book, ensuring maximum productivity and code quality, although to ensure that skills are not confined to one environment the fundamentals of the Java compiler and run time are also explained. Additionally, coverage of the Ant tool will equip the reader with the skills to automatically build, test and deploy applications independent of an IDE. Features: presents information on Java 7; contains numerous code examples and exercises; provides source code, self-test questions and PowerPoint slides at an associated website. « less
Used by corporations, industry, and government to inform and fuel everything from focused advertising to homeland security, data mining can be a very useful tool across a wide range of applications. Unfortunately, most books on the subject are designed for the computer scientist and statistical illuminati more » and leave the reader largely adrift in technical waters.
Revealing the lessons known to the seasoned expert, yet rarely written down for the uninitiated, Practical Data Mining explains the ins-and-outs of the detection, characterization, and exploitation of actionable patterns in data. This working field manual outlines the what, when, why, and how of data mining and offers an easy-to-follow, six-step spiral process. Catering to IT consultants, professional data analysts, and sophisticated data owners, this systematic, yet informal treatment will help readers answer questions, such as:
* What process model should I use to plan and execute a data mining project?
* How is a quantitative business case developed and assessed?
* What are the skills needed for different data mining projects?
* How do I track and evaluate data mining projects?
* How do I choose the best data mining techniques?
Helping you avoid common mistakes, the book describes specific genres of data mining practice. Most chapters contain one or more case studies with detailed projects descriptions, methods used, challenges encountered, and results obtained. The book includes working checklists for each phase of the data mining process. Your passport to successful technical and planning discussions with management, senior scientists, and customers, these checklists lay out the right questions to ask and the right points to make from an insider’s point of view.
Visit the book’s webpage for access to additional resources—including checklists, figures, PowerPoint slides, and a small set of simple prototype data mining tools.
http://www.celestech.com/PracticalDataMining « less
Get the guide that makes learning Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 plain and simple! This full color, no-nonsense book shows you the quickest ways to solve problems and learn the tools, using easy-to-follow steps and concise, straightforward language. You'll discover new and exciting ways to create and share more » dynamic presentations with any audience.
Here's WHAT you'll learn:
* Create dynamic presentations for your audience
* Include charts, tables, clip art, and other graphics
* Add video clips and CD music
* Animate slide and add transition effects
* Edit and polish your presentations with ease
* Create speaker notes and record narration
Here's HOW you'll learn it:
* Jump in whenever you need answers
* Easy-to-follow STEPS and SCREENSHOTS show exactly what to do
* Handy TIPS teach new techniques and shortcuts
* Quick TRY THIS! exercises help apply what you learn right away « less