* Build rich and engaging user experiences in React Native while maintaining peak application performance
* Leverage the best of iOS and Android for React Native development while maximizing code reuse and cohesion
* Implement architecture patterns in your React Native application that more » support efficient data access, routing, and testing
React has taken the web development world by storm and it is only natural that the unique architecture and its ecosystem of third-party support be applied to native application development. This book will take you through the basics of React Native development all the way through to some more advanced components.
This book covers topics in React Native ranging from adding basic UI components to successfully deploying for multiple target platforms. The book follows a top-down approach beginning with building rich user interfaces. These UIs will be created with both built-in and custom components that you will create, style, and animate.
You will then learn about different strategies for working with data, including leveraging the popular Redux library and optimizing the performance of the application. Then, you will step further into exposing native device functionality. Finally, we will discuss how to put your application into production and maintain its reliability.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Build simple and complex user interfaces using React Native
* Create advanced animations for UI components
* Build universal apps that run on phones and tablets
* Leverage Redux to manage application flow and data
* Expose both custom native UI components and application logic to React Native
* Integrate with existing native applications on iOS and Android
* Deploy your React Native application to the Google Play and Apple App Store
* Add automated testing to your React Native application « less
Seven Psychological Principles of Persuasive Design
Design for the Mind: Seven Psychological Principles of Persuasive Design teaches web designers and developers how to create sites and applications that appeal to our innate natural responses as humans. Author Victor Yocco, a researcher on psychology and communication, introduces the most immediately more » relevant and applicable psychological concepts, breaks down each theory into easily-digested principles, then shows how they can be used to inform better design.
About the Technology
Designers and design team members need to think about more than just aesthetics. How do you handle short attention spans. How does your design encourage users to engage, browse, or buy? Fortunately, there are psychological principles that you can use in your design to anticipate and benefit from how humans think, behave, and react.
About the Book
Design for the Mind: Seven Psychological Principles of Persuasive Design teaches you to recognize how websites and applications can benefit from an awareness of our innate, natural responses as humans, and to apply the same principles to your own designs. This approachable book introduces the psychological principles, deconstructs each into easily digestible concepts, and then shows how you can apply them. The idea is to deepen your understanding of why people react in the ways they do. After reading the book, you'll be ready to make your work more psychologically friendly, engaging, and persuasive.
* Making design persuasive
* Encouraging visitors to take action
* Creating enduring messages
* Meeting the needs of both engaged and disengaged visitors
* Becoming a strategic influencer
* Applying theory, with case studies and real-world examples
About the Reader
This book is for web and UX designers and developers as well as anyone involved in customer-facing digital products.
About the Author
Victor Yocco, PhD, is a research director at a Philadelphia-based digital design firm. He received his PhD from The Ohio State University, where his research focused on psychology and communication in informal learning settings. Victor regularly writes and speaks on topics related to the application of psychology to design and addressing the culture of alcohol use in design and technology. He can be found at www.victoryocco.com or @victoryocco on Twitter.
Table of Contents
1. PART 1 INTRODUCING THE APPLICATION OF PSYCHOLOGY TO DESIGN
2. Meeting users' needs: including psychology in design
3. PART 2 WHY DO FOLKS ACT LIKE THAT? PRINCIPLES OF BEHAVIOR
4. Designing for regular use: addressing planned behavior
5. Risky decisions and mental shortcuts
6. Motivation, ability, and trigger-boom!
7. PART 3 PRINCIPLES OF INFLUENCE AND PERSUASION: NOT AS EVIL AS YOU'D THINK
8. Influence: getting people to like and use your design
9. Using family, friends, and social networks to influence users
10. It's not what you say; it's how you say it!
11. Persuasion: the deadliest art
12. PART 4 USER EXPERIENCE DESIGN: PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
13. Case study: KidTech Design Co.'s Good Choice app
14. The next step: getting up and running « less
Build data-driven React applications with ease using GraphQL and Relay
* Take your React applications to the next level with GraphQl and Relay
* Explore the concepts of data fetching, data handling, and more
* Learn to deploy your applications, which are compliant with GraphQl and Relay
There’s a new choice for implementing APIs more » – the open source and Facebook-created GraphQL specification. Designed to solve many of the issues of working with REST, GraphQL comes alongside RelayJS, a React library for querying a server that implements the GraphQL specification. This book takes you quickly and simply through the skills you need to be able to build production ready applications with both GraphQL and RelayJS.
Beginning with a solid foundation in the GraphQl specification, this book swiftly moves to how a data layer can be implemented for your web application using Relay. Get to grips with GraphQL and Relay concepts creating data containers, data masking, and more as your progress towards building a production-ready application.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Understand what problem GraphQL solves and how it differs from traditional REST architectures
* Create a GraphQL server
* Develop modular and maintainable GraphQL code
* Grasp how to define GraphQL mutations
* Comprehend how to define GraphQL queries
* Modify a GraphQL server to be Relay-compliant
* Develop a Relay client-side application with ReactJS that consumes a GraphQL endpoint
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Samer Buna is a technical content author, software engineer, and mentor. He has a master's degree in information security and over ten years of progressive experience and success creating tailored solutions for businesses within many industries.
Samer has authored a few books and online courses about React and GraphQL. You can follow him on Twitter at @samerbuna, and you can read more of what he writes at https://edgecoders.com/.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. An Introduction to GraphQL and Relay
2. The Query Language
3. The GraphQL Schema
4. Configuring React Applications to Use Relay
5. Making GraphQL Queries Relay-Compliant
6. Relay Variables and Object Identification
7. Relay Mutations
8. Deploying to the Cloud « less
Building Web Applications
React is a new, open-source technology from Facebook that has stirred quite a storm in the web development community, and some would say it’s the next best thing to a silver bullet for building web applications. With React: Up and Running you'll learn how to get off the ground with React, with no prior more » knowledge.
This book teaches you how to build components, the building blocks of your apps, as well as how to organize the components into large-scale apps. In addition, you’ll learn about unit testing and optimizing performance, while focusing on the application’s data (and letting the UI take care of itself). « less
Create powerful applications with ReactJS, the most popular platform for web developers today
* Learn how to speed up your development process and save valuable time
* Work though step-by-step tutorials that provide easy-to-understand solutions to real-world problems
Packed with real-world code, this book starts by covering the idea behind ReactJS and the key concepts you must familiarize yourself with. You will learn how to bootstrap your ReactJS projects and you’ll also be provided with a handy scaffolding that you can use and reuse over and over.
We then go on to cover a wide variety of apps, and will help you to structure and build your own components. Next, you will build a web shop, create a fully responsive and routable app, and also develop a real-time search app. Further on, you will be taught to work with public APIs to create a map-based application. You will also be taken through some advanced concepts such as Redux that are making a huge splash currently in the world of ReactJS. You’ll learn how to efficiently seal off your app for guest access, interact with hardware APIs, and create a photo app. You will then master the art of making your apps universal, and find out how to deploy them to the cloud. Finally, we wrap up the book as you are shown how to make a game. What better way to kick off your ReactJS development journey?
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Create a development environment that speeds up your development process
* Find out about responsive web development and create apps that can be used on any device
* Effortlessly connect to public and private APIs
* Create efficient components that are easily testable and small enough to completely understand
* Understand what data flow means in ReactJS and why you never need to worry about where data changes originate
* Create universal apps that run on the browser as well as on the server
* Work with modern front-end tooling and level up your skills
* Train yourself to think in terms of ReactJS
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Diving Headfirst into ReactJS
2. Creating a Web Shop
3. Responsive Web Development with ReactJS
4. Building a Real-Time Search App
5. Creating a Map App with HTML5 APIs
6. Advanced React
8. Deploying Your App to the Cloud
9. Creating a Shared App
10. Making a Game « less
Native Apps, Multiple Platforms
Answer the question "Can we build this for ALL the devices?" with a resounding YES. Learn how to build apps using seven different platforms: Mobile Web, iOS, Android, Windows, RubyMotion, React Native, and Xamarin. Find out which cross-platform solution makes the most sense for your needs, whether you're more » new to mobile or an experienced developer expanding your options. Start covering all of the mobile world today.
Understanding the idioms, patterns, and quirks of the modern mobile platforms gives you the power to choose how you develop. Over seven weeks you'll build seven different mobile apps using seven different tools. You'll start out with Mobile Web; develop native apps on iOS, Android, and Windows; and finish by building apps for multiple operating systems using the native cross-platform solutions RubyMotion, React Native, and Xamarin.
For each platform, you'll build simple, but non-trivial, apps that consume JSON data, run on multiple screen sizes, or store local data. You'll see how to test, how to build views, and how to structure code. You'll find out how much code it's possible to share, how much of the underlying platform you still need to know, and ultimately, you'll get a firm understanding of how to build apps on whichever devices your users prefer.
This book gives you enough first-hand experience to weigh the trade-offs when building mobile apps. You'll compare writing apps on one platform versus another and understand the benefits and hidden costs of cross-platform tools. You'll get pragmatic, hands-on experience writing apps in a multi-platform world.
What You Need:
You'll need a computer and some experience programming. When we cover iOS, you'll need a Mac, and when we cover Windows Phone you'll need a computer with Windows on it. It's helpful if you have access to an iPhone, Android phone, and Windows Phone to run the examples on the devices where mobile apps are ultimately deployed, but the simulators or emulator versions of those phones work great. « less
Leverage the features of TypeScript to boost your development skills and create captivating applications
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Learn how to develop modular, scalable, maintainable, and adaptable web applications by taking advantage of TypeScript
* Explore techniques to use TypeScript alongside other leading tools such as Angular 2, React, and Node.js
* Focusing on design patterns in TypeScript, this step-by-step more » guide demonstrates all the important design patterns in practice
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Understand the key TypeScript language features and runtime
* Install and configure the necessary tools in order to start developing an application
* Create object-oriented code that adheres to the SOLID principles
* Develop robust applications with testing (Mocha, Chai, and SinonJS)
* Apply GoF patterns in an application with a testing approach
* Identify the challenges when developing an application
* Utilize System.JS and Webpack to load scripts and their dependencies
* Develop high performance server-side applications to run within Node.js
The first module gets you started with TypeScript and helps you understand the basics of TypeScript and automation tools. Get a detailed description of function, generics, callbacks, and promises, and discover the object-oriented features and memory management functionality of TypeScript.
The next module starts by explaining the current challenges when designing and developing an application and how you can solve these challenges by applying the correct design pattern and best practices. You will be introduced to low-level programming concepts to help you write TypeScript code, as well as working with software architecture, best practices, and design aspects.
By the end of this Learning Path, you will be able to take your skills up a notch and develop full-fledged web applications using the latest features of the TypeScript.
This Learning Path combines some of the best that Packt has to offer in one complete, curated package. It includes content from the following Packt products:
* Learning TypeScript by Remo H. Jansen
* TypeScript Design Patterns by Vilic Vane
* TypeScript Blueprints by Ivo Gabe de Wolff
STYLE AND APPROACH
This is a step-by-step, practical guide covering the fundamentals of TypeScript with practical examples. The end-to-end projects included in this book will give you ready-to-implement solutions for your business scenario, showcasing the depth and robustness of TypeScript. « less
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Learn to design and build a fully-featured application using the newest cutting-edge framework from Facebook
* Develop custom UI components, implement smooth navigation, and access native features such as geolocation more » and local storage
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Set up the React Native environment on both devices and emulators
* Gain an in-depth understanding of how React Native works behind the scenes
* Write your own custom native UI components
* Learn the ins and outs of screen navigation
* Master the art of layout and styles
* Work with device-exclusive data such as geolocation
* Test and deploy your application for a production-ready environment
Web developers who want to develop native mobile applications face a high barrier to entry, because they are forced to learn platform-specific languages and frameworks. Numerous hybrid technologies have tried to simplify this process, but have failed to achieve the performance and appearance that users expect.
This book will show you all the advantages of true native development that React Native has without the steep learning curve, leveraging the knowledge you already have. We do this by getting you up and running quickly with a sample application. Next, we'll introduce you to the fundamentals of creating components and explain how React Native works under the hood. Once you have established a solid foundation, you will dive headfirst into developing a real-world application from start to finish. Along the way, we will demonstrate how to create multiple screens and navigate between them,use layout and style native UI components, and access native APIs such as local storage and geolocation. Finally, we tackle the advanced topic of Native modules, which demonstrates that there are truly no limits to what you can do with React Native.
STYLE AND APPROACH
What You'll Learn:
* How to use React to maintain complex user interfaces in an efficient way
* How to integrate existing user interfaces and move forward with React
* How to manage application architecture using Flux
***** About This Book *****
* Learn the best practices of modularization and code organization while scaling your application
* Enhance your practical skills required to develop applications using the Jasmine more » framework in a step-by-step manner
***** Who This Book Is For *****
***** What You Will Learn *****
* Understand and use the power of Jasmine to create better and more maintainable code bases
* Drive your application development entirely by tests
* Write modular and reusable code through the power of ECMA Script 6 (ES6) modules
* Use asynchronous tests, stubs, and spies optimally
* Test drive a React.js single-page application
* Optimize your code to unleash the power of tooling and automation
***** In Detail *****
By the end of this book, you will be a competent web developer with good knowledge and a strong understanding of how to efficiently use the Jasmine framework for testing purposes. « less