Modern Data Science with R is a comprehensive data science textbook for undergraduates that incorporates statistical and computational thinking to solve real-world problems with data. Rather than focus exclusively on case studies or programming syntax, this book illustrates how statistical programming more » in the state-of-the-art R/RStudio computing environment can be leveraged to extract meaningful information from a variety of data in the service of addressing compelling statistical questions.
Contemporary data science requires a tight integration of knowledge from statistics, computer science, mathematics, and a domain of application. This book will help readers with some background in statistics and modest prior experience with coding develop and practice the appropriate skills to tackle complex data science projects. The book features a number of exercises and has a flexible organization conducive to teaching a variety of semester courses. « less
Visualize, Model, Transform, Tidy, and Import Data
What exactly is data science? With this book, you’ll gain a clear understanding of this discipline for discovering natural laws in the structure of data. Along the way, you’ll learn how to use the versatile R programming language for data analysis.
Whenever you measure the same thing twice, you get more » two results—as long as you measure precisely enough. This phenomenon creates uncertainty and opportunity. Author Garrett Grolemund, Master Instructor at RStudio, shows you how data science can help you work with the uncertainty and capture the opportunities. You’ll learn about:
* Data Wrangling—how to manipulate datasets to reveal new information
* Data Visualization—how to create graphs and other visualizations
* Exploratory Data Analysis—how to find evidence of relationships in your measurements
* Modelling—how to derive insights and predictions from your data
* Inference—how to avoid being fooled by data analyses that cannot provide foolproof results
Through the course of the book, you’ll also learn about the statistical worldview, a way of seeing the world that permits understanding in the face of uncertainty, and simplicity in the face of complexity. « less
Over 50 practical and useful recipes to help you perform data analysis with R by unleashing every native RStudio feature
* 54 useful and practical tasks to improve working systems
* Includes optimizing performance and reliability or uptime, reporting, system management tools, interfacing to standard data ports, and so on
* Offers 10-15 real-life, practical improvements for each user type
The more » requirement of handling complex datasets, performing unprecedented statistical analysis, and providing real-time visualizations to businesses has concerned statisticians and analysts across the globe. RStudio is a useful and powerful tool for statistical analysis that harnesses the power of R for computational statistics, visualization, and data science, in an integrated development environment.
This book is a collection of recipes that will help you learn and understand RStudio features so that you can effectively perform statistical analysis and reporting, code editing, and R development. The first few chapters will teach you how to set up your own data analysis project in RStudio, acquire data from different data sources, and manipulate and clean data for analysis and visualization purposes. You'll get hands-on with various data visualization methods using ggplot2, and you will create interactive and multidimensional visualizations with D3.js. Additional recipes will help you optimize your code; implement various statistical models to manage large datasets; perform text analysis and predictive analysis; and master time series analysis, machine learning, forecasting; and so on. In the final few chapters, you'll learn how to create reports from your analytical application with the full range of static and dynamic reporting tools that are available in RStudio so that you can effectively communicate results and even transform them into interactive web applications.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Familiarize yourself with the latest advanced R console features
* Create advanced and interactive graphics
* Manage your R project and project files effectively
* Perform reproducible statistical analyses in your R projects
* Use RStudio to design predictive models for a specific domain-based application
* Use RStudio to effectively communicate your analyses results and even publish them to a blog
* Put yourself on the frontiers of data science and data monetization in R with all the tools that are needed to effectively communicate your results and even transform your work into a data product
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Andrea Cirillo is currently working as an internal auditor at Intesa Sanpaolo banking group. He gained a lot of financial and external audit experience at Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu and internal audit experience at FNM, a listed Italian company.
His current main responsibilities involve evaluation of credit risk management models and their enhancement mainly within the field of the Basel III capital agreement.
He is married to Francesca and is the father of Tommaso, Gianna, and Zaccaria.
Andrea has written and contributed to a few useful R packages and regularly shares insightful advice and tutorials about R programming.
His research and work mainly focuses on the use of R in the fields of risk management and fraud detection, mainly through modeling custom algorithms and developing interactive applications.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Acquiring Data for Your Project
2. Preparing for Analysis – Data Cleansing and Manipulation
3. Basic Visualization Techniques
4. Advanced and Interactive Visualization
5. Power Programming with R
6. Domain-specific Applications
7. Developing Static Reports
8. Dynamic Reporting and Web Application Development « less
Harness the power of RStudio to create web applications, R packages, markdown reports and pretty data visualizations
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Discover the multi-functional use of RStudio to support your daily work with R code
* Learn to create stunning, meaningful, and interactive graphs and learn to embed them into easy communicable reports using multiple R packages
* Develop your own R packages and Shiny web apps to more » share your knowledge and collaborate with others.
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is aimed at R developers and analysts who wish to do R statistical development while taking advantage of RStudio's functionality to ease their development efforts. R programming experience is assumed as well as being comfortable with R's basic structures and a number of functions.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Discover the RStudio IDE and details about the user interface
* Communicate your insights with R Markdown in static and interactive ways
* Learn how to use different graphic systems to visualize your data
* Build interactive web applications with the Shiny framework to present and share your results
* Understand the process of package development and assemble your own R packages
* Easily collaborate with other people on your projects by using Git and GitHub
* Manage the R environment for your organization with RStudio and Shiny server
* Apply your obtained knowledge about RStudio and R development to create a real-world dashboard solution
RStudio helps you to manage small to large projects by giving you a multi-functional integrated development environment, combined with the power and flexibility of the R programming language, which is becoming the bridge language of data science for developers and analyst worldwide. Mastering the use of RStudio will help you to solve real-world data problems.
This book begins by guiding you through the installation of RStudio and explaining the user interface step by step. From there, the next logical step is to use this knowledge to improve your data analysis workflow. We will do this by building up our toolbox to create interactive reports and graphs or even web applications with Shiny. To collaborate with others, we will explore how to use Git and GitHub with RStudio and how to build your own packages to ensure top quality results. Finally, we put it all together in an interactive dashboard written with R.
STYLE AND APPROACH
An easy-to-follow guide full of hands-on examples to master RStudio.
Beginning from explaining the basics, each topic is explained with a lot of details for every feature. « less