Build well-structured, testable applications and APIs using hapi.js
* With the help of this book, you will improve your productivity as a developer and that of your team by focusing on business logic utilizing the structure that Hapi.js provides
* You will be introduced to a real-world problem and we'll demonstrate how to use the tools Hapi provides to more » resolve it
* This is the only book with a learn-by-example approach
This book will introduce hapi.js and walk you through the creation of your first working application using the out-of-the-box features hapi.js provides. Packed with real-world problems and examples, this book introduces some of the basic concepts of hapi.js and Node.js and takes you through the typical journey you'll face when developing an application. Starting with easier concepts such as routing requests, building APIs serving JSON, using templates to build websites and applications, and connecting databases, we then move on to more complex problems such as authentication, model validation, caching, and techniques for structuring your codebase to scale gracefully. You will also develop skills to ensure your application's reliability through testing, code coverage, and logging.
By the end of this book, you'll be equipped with all the skills you need to build your first fully featured application. This book will be invaluable if you are investigating Node.js frameworks or planning on using hapi.js in your next project.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Increase your productivity by taking advantage of the out-of-the-box features hapi.js provides
* Build secure API servers
* Create websites and applications using your favorite templating language
* Leverage hapi.js plugins to better structure your codebase
* Simplify your security workflows with the built-in authentication and authorization functionality of hapi.js
* Ensure application reliability with testing and code coverage
* Reduce code complexity using reusable validation logic with joi
* Gather insight into your application performance via logging
* Start the journey to building robust production-ready applications
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Later in his career, John moved to a growing SAAS company called D4H Technologies. As a lead engineer there, he developed tools to aid emergency response teams globally, all from a lighthouse in Dublin, Ireland. Here, John got more exposure to Node.js, leading D4H's first venture into Node using hapi.js, later joining the hapi.js core team
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Introducing hapi.js
2. Adding Functionality by Routing Requests
3. Structuring Your Codebase with Plugins
4. Adding Tests and the Importance of 100% Code Coverage
5. Securing Applications with Authentication and Authorization
6. The joi of Reusable Validation
7. Making Your Application Production Ready « less
The amount of data in everyday life has been exploding. This data increase has been especially significant in scientific fields, where substantial amounts of data must be captured, communicated, aggregated, stored, and analyzed. Cloud Computing with e-Science Applications explains how cloud computing more » can improve data management in data-heavy fields such as bioinformatics, earth science, and computer science.
The book begins with an overview of cloud models supplied by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), and then:
* Discusses the challenges imposed by big data on scientific data infrastructures, including security and trust issues
* Covers vulnerabilities such as data theft or loss, privacy concerns, infected applications, threats in virtualization, and cross-virtual machine attack
* Describes the implementation of workflows in clouds, proposing an architecture composed of two layers—platform and application
* Details infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS), platform-as-a-service (PaaS), and software-as-a-service (SaaS) solutions based on public, private, and hybrid cloud computing models
* Demonstrates how cloud computing aids in resource control, vertical and horizontal scalability, interoperability, and adaptive scheduling
Featuring significant contributions from research centers, universities, and industries worldwide, Cloud Computing with e-Science Applications presents innovative cloud migration methodologies applicable to a variety of fields where large data sets are produced. The book provides the scientific community with an essential reference for moving applications to the cloud. « less
Design, build, and deploy responsive applications using AWS cloud components
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Build scalable and highly available real-time applications
* Make cost-effective architectural decisions by implementing your product's functional and non-functional requirements
* Develop your skills with hands-on exercises using a three-tiered service oriented application as an more » example
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is targeted at expert programmers and architects wanting to learn AWS. Some familiarity with Spring, MySQL, and RESTful web services is assumed.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Multi-tenant design approaches for SaaS applications
* Planning dev, test, staging, and production environments
* Design considerations for scalability and high-availability
* Planning for DR
* The security considerations and implementation of AWS applications
* Production deployment processes and tools
* Monitoring AWS applications using CloudWatch
* Automating infrastructure using CloudFormation
With the increasing global interest in leveraging cloud infrastructure, AWS Cloud from Amazon offers a cutting-edge platform for architecting, building, and deploying web-scale cloud applications. The variety of features available within AWS can reduce overall infrastructure costs and accelerate the development process for both large enterprises and startups alike.
Beginning with basic cloud concepts, you'll learn about the various cloud services models and the design implications of multi-tenant applications. You'll then design, implement, and deploy a multi-tier, scalable, highly-available and secure application on the AWS platform. At every step, we explain the key guiding principles driving real-world production-ready application architectures. Finally, you will learn how to automate your cloud infrastructure, set up operations, application monitoring, and DevOps pipeline. « less
Building Multi-Tenant Service Applications in the Cloud
Service orchestration techniques combine the benefits of Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and Business Process Management (BPM) to compose and coordinate distributed software services. On the other hand, Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) is gaining popularity as a software delivery model through cloud more » platforms due to the many benefits to software vendors, as well as their customers. Multi-tenancy, which refers to the sharing of a single application instance across multiple customers or user groups (called tenants), is an essential characteristic of the SaaS model.
Written in an easy to follow style with discussions supported by real-world examples, Service Orchestration as Organization introduces a novel approach with associated language, framework, and tool support to show how service orchestration techniques can be used to engineer and deploy SaaS applications.
* Describes the benefits as well as the challenges of building adaptive, multi-tenant software service applications using service-orchestration techniques
* Provides a thorough synopsis of the current state of the art, including the advantages and drawbacks of the adaptation techniques available
* Describes in detail how the underlying framework of the new approach has been implemented using available technologies, such as business rules engines and web services « less
CompTIA Authorized Courseware for Exam CLO-001
CompTIA-Authorized courseware for the Cloud Essentials Exam (CLO-001)
What better way to get up to speed on cloud computing than with this new book in the popular Sybex Essentials series? Cloud Essentials covers the basics of cloud computing and its place in the modern enterprise. Explore public and more » private clouds; contrast the "as a service" models for PaaS, SaaS, IaaS, or XaaS platforms; plan security; and more. In addition, the book covers the exam objectives for the both the CompTIA Cloud Essentials (Exam CLO-001) exam and the EXIN Cloud Computing Foundation (EX0-116) certification exams and includes suggested exercises and review questions to reinforce your learning.
* Gets you up to speed on the hottest trend in IT--cloud computing
* Prepares IT professionals and those new to the cloud for and cover all of the CompTIA Cloud Essentials and EXIN Cloud Computing Foundation exam objectives
* Serves as CompTIA Authorized courseware for the exam
* Examines various models for cloud computing implementation, including public and private clouds
* Contrasts "as a service" models for platform (PaaS), software (SaaS), infrastructure (IaaS), and other technologies (XaaS)
* Identifies strategies for implementation on tight budgets and goes into planning security and service management
Get a through grounding in cloud basics and prepare for your cloud certification exam with Cloud Essentials. « less
Monitor complex and large environments across dispersed locations with Icinga
For the most complex and dispersed networks, Icinga is the monitoring tool that puts you in control. This book gives you a thorough grounding and improves your capability in using Icinga to extract precisely the reports you need.
* Installation instructions with detailed steps and explanations more » of configuration for complex networks with diagrams
* Extend Icinga with your own plugins and add-ons
* Sample configuration to give a clear understanding
Icinga has a very flexible configuration that lets you describe your network and server’s infrastructure, and tell Icinga what services you want to monitor and get uptime reports for. You can customize the monitoring behaviour as well as notification methods with plugins. You can also configure handlers that run automatically when a service goes down.
This book gives you a deep insight into setting up automated monitoring for small-scale to large-scale network and server infrastructures. With rising business around cloud computing services such as SaaS, IaaS, and others; service providers have to increase their network infrastructure with a number of servers and services. You will learn to keep tabs on these services to ensure maximum SLA that is promised to the customers.
Icinga comes with ample example configurations that monitor the Icinga server itself. The book analyzes the default sample configuration. You will learn to monitor public services on remote servers, system health of Linux and Windows servers as well as the network devices. You will also look into how to customize the monitoring mechanism with plugins. You will then move towards alerting methods, how they work, and how they can be customized. At the end of the book, you will have a look into the web interface that gives the current status of the entire infrastructure and some reporting tools.
What you will learn from this book
* Configure hosts and services to be monitored on your network
* Understand the most common and trivial system health checks
* Fine-tune the configuration to receive more precise alerts
* Use the available plugins to monitor public services (HTTP, IMAP, DNS, and so on.)
* Establish relationships among hosts and service checks to build the network map
* Customize alerting methods and also use the existing ones
* Write custom plugins to monitor uncommon services
* Utilize the web interface for complex report generation
This book is written in a concise and easy-to-follow approach, it will guide you to get you started with Icinga and lead you through the difficult concepts with illustrated examples and screenshots.
Who this book is written for
If you are a system administrator or Linux enthusiast who is looking for a flexible tool to monitor network infrastructure efficiently, or trying to understand the Icinga software, this is a great book for you. You are expected to have solid foundation in Linux. « less
How to Test SaaS, PaaS & IaaS
Everybody is confronted with cloud computing. Whether you are a user, designer, programmer, project manager, or tester, sooner or later the cloud affects your work. If you are involved in selecting or implementing services from the cloud, or in keeping them up and running, this book will prove to be more » an invaluable resource.
Testing Cloud Services covers an extensive list of risks that arise when implementing cloud computing, including some traditional risks and some completely new ones, and provides strategies for avoiding these risks and solving problems. Every risk is connected to existing, updated, and new test measures. It is necessary to start testing during the selection of cloud services, and continue end-to-end testing even after going live, as continuity risks arise all the time.
With this book in hand, you will save a lot of time and discover an effective approach to testing that can be applied in practice immediately! « less
Your journey to efficient and effective information services
The amount of data being generated, processed, and stored has reached unprecedented levels. Even during the recent economic crisis, there has been no slow down or information recession. Instead, the need to process, move, and store data has only increased. Consequently, IT organizations are looking to more » do more with what they have while supporting growth along with new services without compromising on cost and service delivery.
Cloud and Virtual Data Storage Networking, by savvy IT industry veteran Greg Schulz, looks at converging IT resources and management technologies for facilitating efficient and effective delivery of information services, including enabling of Information Factories. Regardless of your experience level, Schulz guides you through the various technologies and techniques available for achieving efficient information services delivery. Coverage includes:
Information services delivery model options and best practices
Metrics for efficient E2E IT management
Server, storage, I/O networking, and data center virtualization
Converged and cloud storage services (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS)
Data protection for virtual, cloud, and physical environments
Data footprint reduction and data protection modernization
High availability, business continuance, and disaster recovery
This much-needed reference brings together technology themes and topics that are converging in IT and data center environments for enabling effective information services, in a practical and hype-free manner. When it comes to IT clouds and virtualization, you must look before you leap. This book will help you address the questions of when, where, with what, and how to leverage cloud, virtual, and data storage networking as part of your IT infrastructure.
A video of Greg Schulz discussing his new book is featured on the CRC Press YouTube channel.
Visit Slideshare to view a slide presentation based on the book. « less
The open source Scala language is a Java-based dynamic scripting, functional programming language. Moreover, this highly scalable scripting language lends itself well to building cloud-based/deliverable Software as a Service (SaaS) online applications.
Written by Lift Scala web framework founder and more » lead Dave Pollak, Beginning Scala takes a down-to-earth approach to teaching Scala that leads you through simple examples that can be combined to build complex, scalable systems and applications.
This book introduces you to the Scala programming language and then guides you through Scala constructs and libraries that allow small and large teams to assemble small components into high-performance, scalable systems. You will learn why Scala is becoming the language of choice for Web 2.0 companies such as Twitter as well as enterprises such as Seimens and SAP. « less
A Practical Approach
"The promise of cloud computing is here. These pages provide the 'eyes wide open' insights you need to transform your business." --Christopher Crowhurst, Vice President, Strategic Technology, Thomson Reuters
A Down-to-Earth Guide to Cloud Computing
Cloud Computing: A Practical Approach provides more » a comprehensive look at the emerging paradigm of Internet-based enterprise applications and services. This accessible book offers a broad introduction to cloud computing, reviews a wide variety of currently available solutions, and discusses the cost savings and organizational and operational benefits. You'll find details on essential topics, such as hardware, platforms, standards, migration, security, and storage. You'll also learn what other organizations are doing and where they're headed with cloud computing. If your company is considering the move from a traditional network infrastructure to a cutting-edge cloud solution, you need this strategic guide.
Cloud Computing: A Practical Approach covers:
* Costs, benefits, security issues, regulatory concerns, and limitations
* Service providers, including Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Yahoo, IBM, EMC/VMware, Salesforce.com, and others
* Hardware, infrastructure, clients, platforms, applications, services, and storage
* Standards, including HTTP, HTML, DHTML, XMPP, SSL, and OpenID
* Web services, such as REST, SOAP, and JSON
* Platform as a Service (PaaS), Software as a Service (SaaS), and Software plus Services (S+S)
* Custom application development environments, frameworks, strategies, and solutions
* Local clouds, thin clients, and virtualization
* Migration, best practices, and emerging standards « less