Writing Infrastructure as Code
With this practical book, you’ll learn how to get you up and running with Terraform, an open source tool that allows you to define infrastructure for a variety of cloud providers—including AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, DigitalOcean, and others—using a simple, declarative programming language. Author Yevgeniy more » (Jim) Brikman introduces you to Terraform syntax, and shows you how to deploy and manage infrastructure with just a few CLI commands.
You’ll also learn:
* Why every company needs to use infrastructure-as-code
* Why Terraform is preferable to Chef, Puppet, Ansible, SaltStack, and CloudFormation
* How you can manage Terraform state
* How to create reusable infrastructure with Terraform modules
* Terraform tips & tricks: loops, if-statements, and pitfalls
* How to use Terraform as a team « less
* Automate tasks effectively and take charge of your infrastructure
* Effectively scale Salt to manage thousands of machines and tackle everyday problems
* Explore Salt’s inner workings and advance your knowledge of it
SaltStack is a powerful configuration management more » and automation suite designed to manage servers and tens of thousands of nodes. This book showcases Salt as a very powerful automation framework. We will review the fundamental concepts to get you in the right frame of mind, and then explore Salt in much greater depth. You will explore Salt SSH as a powerful tool and take Salt Cloud to the next level. Next, you’ll master using Salt services with ease in your infrastructure. You will discover methods and strategies to scale your infrastructure properly. You will also learn how to use Salt as a powerful monitoring tool.
By the end of this book, you will have learned troubleshooting tips and best practices to make the entire process of using Salt pain-free and easy.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Automate tasks effectively, so that your infrastructure can run itself
* Start building more complex concepts
* Master user-level internals
* Build scaling strategies
* Explore monitoring strategies
* Learn how to troubleshoot Salt and its subcomponents
* Explore best practices for Salt
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Starting as a support technician and progressing to being a web programmer, QA engineer, systems administrator, Linux instructor, and cloud engineer, Joseph Hall has touched just about every area of the modern technology world. He is currently a senior cloud and integrations engineer at SaltStack. Joseph enjoys working with some of the best minds in the business with his coworkers and SaltStack's partners. He is also the author of Extending SaltStack, Packt Publishing.
You can find him on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/techhat and on GitHub at https://github.com/techhat.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Essentials Revisited
2. Diving into Salt Internals
3. Managing States
4. Exploring Salt SSH
5. Managing Tasks Asynchronously
6. Taking Advantage of Salt Information Systems
7. Taking Salt Cloud to the Next Level
8. Using Salt with REST
9. Understanding the RAET and TCP Transports
10. Strategies for Scaling
11. Monitoring with Salt
12. Exploring Best Practices
13. Troubleshooting Problems « less
Learn how to manage your infrastructure by utilizing the power of SaltStack
SaltStack is one of the best infrastructure management platforms available. It provides powerful tools for defining and enforcing the state of your infrastructure in a clear, concise way.
This book will start with the installation and setup of Salt along with your first commands, and will take you more » through all the tools you'll need to manage your infrastructure. You'll learn how to use SaltStack's remote execution system to run commands across your whole infrastructure in seconds. Then, with SaltStack's configuration management system, you'll be able to define the state of your infrastructure in a reproducible, stable manner. You'll also learn a number of other tools within SaltStack that will allow you to create an adaptive, reactive, and self-healing infrastructure. Finally, by the end of the book, you'll be able to build a reliable, scalable, secure, high-performance infrastructure and fully utilize the power of cloud computing. « less