Over 25 recipes to build projects and applications for multiple platforms with Banana Pi
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Design, develop, and customize real-world applications and projects rapidly and easily using Banana Pi
* Quick solutions to the most common real-world problems on the amazing Banana Pi
* Step-by-step recipes to help you experience the vast possibilities of the device by setting up more » interesting applications
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is intended for anybody who wants to learn how they can utilize the capabilities of the Banana Pi to its full potential. It's full of step-by-step guides and detailed descriptions for the whole range of possibilities in a language that is appropriate for computer enthusiasts and experts alike. It would be helpful to have a basic knowledge of Unix-like operating systems or programming, but no prior experience is required as every concept is explained in the appropriate sections.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Discover how to configure and maintain your Banana Pi device
* Install Android and a Linux-based distribution onto Banana Pi
* Attach external drives to your Banana Pi by using the USB or SATA interfaces
* Share files between your Banana Pi and other devices either in your internal network or over the Internet
* Connect remotely to your Banana Pi using SSH and VNC
* Build simple electrical circuits and connect simple hardware elements such as LEDs, resistors, and buttons to the GPIO pins
* Configure a multimedia center that is able to play high-definition content
Banana Pi is a dual core single board microcomputer like Raspberry Pi but is much faster, more cost-effective, and performs more efficiently than Raspberry Pi.
Banana Pi Cookbook is a practical guide that starts with setting up Banana Pi and moves on to exploring the more advanced capabilities of the device. You will learn to build a decent Linux-based operating system that can resolve common server tasks (Samba, Web, DLNA) and multimedia challenges. Also, you will see how to use the GPIO opportunities by building simple but straightforward circuits.
By the end of this book, you will be an expert in using Banana Pi to deploy a variety of hardware and software applications. « less
Exploit the real power of Samba 4 Server by leveraging the benefits of an Active Directory Domain Controller
Samba is a drop-in replacement for the heart of the thousands and thousands of networks that run on Microsoft Windows domain controllers. Now with a compatible Active Directory implementation, it will definitely put its name inside every datacenter that wants a cost reduction for the Open Source solutions, more » without losing the security, stability, and flexibility of any resilient solution.
Implementing Samba 4 starts off with installing dependencies and building the Samba 4 software, deploying it as an Active Directory Domain Controller, and enabling the reader to understand the different roles the software can play on the network. This book looks at the Samba 4 Server roles, and breaks down the mystery and confusion that surrounds each role. « less
1000+ Commands for Ubuntu and Debian Power Users
This updated bestseller from Linux guru Chris Negus is packed with an array of new and revised material As a longstanding bestseller, Ubuntu Linux Toolbox has taught you how to get the most out Ubuntu, the world's most popular Linux distribution. With this anticipated new edition, Christopher Negus returns more » with a host of new and expanded coverage on tools for managing file systems, ways to connect to networks, techniques for securing Ubuntu systems, and a look at the latest Long Term Support (LTS) release of Ubuntu, all aimed at getting you up and running with Ubuntu Linux quickly.
* Covers installation, configuration, shell primer, the desktop, administrations, servers, and security
* Delves into coverage of popular applications for the web, productivity suites, and e-mail
* Highlights setting up a server (Apache, Samba, CUPS)
* Boasts a handy trim size so that you can take it with you on the go
Ubuntu Linux Toolbox, Second Edition prepares you with a host of updated tools for today's environment, as well as expanded coverage on everything you know to confidently start using Ubuntu today. « less
The Most Complete, Easy-to-Follow Guide to Ubuntu Linux
* The #1 Ubuntu server resource, fully updated for Ubuntu 10.4 (Lucid Lynx)–the Long Term Support (LTS) release many companies will rely on for years!
* Updated JumpStarts help you set up Samba, Apache, Mail, FTP, NIS, OpenSSH, DNS, and other more » complex servers in minutes
* Hundreds of up-to-date examples, plus comprehensive indexes that deliver instant access to answers you can trust
Mark Sobell’s A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux®, Third Edition, is the most thorough and up-to-date reference to installing, configuring, and working with Ubuntu, and also offers comprehensive coverage of servers—critical for anybody interested in unleashing the full power of Ubuntu.
This edition has been fully updated for Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx), a milestone Long Term Support (LTS) release, which Canonical will support on desktops until 2013 and on servers until 2015.
Sobell walks you through every essential feature and technique, from installing Ubuntu to working with GNOME, Samba, exim4, Apache, DNS, NIS, LDAP, g ufw, firestarter, iptables, even Perl scripting. His exceptionally clear explanations demystify everything from networking to security.
You’ll find full chapters on running Ubuntu from the command line and desktop (GUI), administrating systems, setting up networks and Internet servers, and much more. Fully updated JumpStart sections help you get complex servers running—often in as little as five minutes.
Sobell draws on his immense Linux knowledge to explain both the “hows” and the “whys” of Ubuntu. He’s taught hundreds of thousands of readers and never forgets what it’s like to be new to Linux. Whether you’re a user, administrator, or programmer, you’ll find everything you need here—now, and for many years to come.
The world’s most practical Ubuntu Linux book is now even more useful!
This book delivers
* Hundreds of easy-to-use Ubuntu examples
* Important networking coverage, including DNS, NFS, and Cacti
* Coverage of crucial Ubuntu topics such as sudo and the Upstart init daemon
* More detailed, usable coverage of Internet server configuration, including Apache (Web) and exim4 (email) servers
* State-of-the-art security techniques, including up-to-date firewall setup techniques using gufw and iptables, and a full chapter on OpenSSH
* A complete introduction to Perl scripting for automated administration
* Deeper coverage of essential admin tasks–from managing users to CUPS printing, configuring LANs to building a kernel
* Complete instructions on keeping Ubuntu systems up-to-date using aptitude, Synaptic, and the Software Sources window
* And much more...including a 500+ term glossary
Includes DVD!Get the full version of Lucid Lynx, the latest Ubuntu LTS release! « less
Master All the Techniques You Need to Succeed with Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux
* Set up key Internet servers, step by step, including Samba, Apache, sendmail, DNS, FTP, and other Internet servers
* Automate and streamline administration with this edition’s outstanding new chapter on Perl more » scripting
* Master GUI-based admin tools and the powerful Linux command line (CLI)
In this book, one of the world’s leading Linux experts brings together all the knowledge you’ll need to succeed with Fedora or Red Hat Enterprise Linux in any real-world environment. Best-selling author Mark Sobell explains Linux clearly and effectively, focusing on skills you’ll actually use as an administrator, user, or programmer.
Sobell assumes no prior Linux knowledge. He starts at the beginning and walks you through every topic and task that matters, using easy-to-understand examples. Step by step, you’ll learn how to install and configure Linux from the accompanying DVD, navigate its graphical user interfaces, provide file/print sharing and Internet services, make sure Linux desktops and networks are as secure as possible, work with the powerful command line, administer Linux efficiently, and even automate administration with Perl scripts.
Mark Sobell has taught hundreds of thousands of Linux and UNIX professionals. He knows every Linux nook and cranny–and he never forgets what it’s like to be new to Linux. Whatever you’ll want to do with Linux–now or in the future–this book gives you everything you’ll need.
Compared with the other Linux books out there, A Practical Guide to Fedora™ and Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®, Fifth Edition, delivers
* Complete, up-to-the-minute coverage of Fedora 12 and RHEL 5
* Deeper coverage of the command line and the newest GUIs, including desktop customization
* More practical coverage of file sharing using Samba, NFS, and FTP
* More and better coverage of automating administration with Perl
* More usable, realistic coverage of Internet server configuration, including Apache, sendmail, NFS, DNS/BIND, and LDAP
* More state-of-the-art security techniques, including SELinux (Security Enhanced Linux), ACLs (Access Control Lists), firewall setup using both the Red Hat GUI and iptables, and a full chapter on OpenSSH
* More and better coverage of system/network administration tasks, including new coverage of network monitoring with Cacti
* Complete instructions on keeping Linux systems up-to-date using yum
* And much more, including a 500+ term glossary and a comprehensive index
Includes DVD! Get the full version of the Fedora 12 release! « less
This is one of the first, if not the first comprehensive guide to the CentOS Linux operating system.
First find out how to install and configure CentOS. From there, you'll cover a wealth of Linux and CentOS tools, functions, and techniques, including: how to work in the GNOME and KDE desktop environments; more » how to use the Linux shell, file system, and text editor; how to configure CUPS printers, Samba for file and printer sharing and other features using GUI tools; and more. « less
A File & Print Server for Linux, Unix & Mac OS X
This book is the comprehensive guide to Samba administration, officially adopted by the Samba Team. Wondering how to integrate Samba's authentication with that of a Windows domain? How to get Samba to serve Microsoft Dfs shares? How to share files on Mac OS X? These and a dozen other issues of interest more » to system administrators are covered. A whole chapter is dedicated to troubleshooting! « less
Red Hat Linux Security and Optimization is a reference for power-users and administrators covering all security issues, including Filesystems Security, Securing root accounts and Firewalls. Other Security books talk about how to apply certain patches to fix a security problem -- but this book shows you more » how to secure all applications so that the chances for a security breach are automatically minimized. Application performance benchmarking will also be covered. This book introduces you to many application-specific performance and benchmarking techniques and shows you how to tune your computer as well as your networks. This book covers all the primary Red Hat Linux Applications such as Apache Web Server, WuFTP, FTP server, BIND DNS server, Sendmail SMTP server and focuses on how to enhance security for each of them. It also shows you how to secure NFS and Samba Server, as well as the Apache Web Server. « less