Become an expert at using JIRA 7 through this one-stop guide!
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* This comprehensive guide will help you implement, customize and administer JIRA 7 application to meet the needs of your organization
* You will get to know the strategies needed to develop and deploy JIRA 7, along with best practices when working with Jira
* It covers the latest more » integrations of JIRA 7 with third-party platforms to help you professionally manage your software development projects
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
If you are a JIRA administrator who is managing small-to-medium JIRA instances and you want to learn how to manage enterprise-scale instances, then this book will help you expand your knowledge and equip you with advanced skills. Prior understanding of the JIRA core concepts is required.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Plan the installation and upgrade of your JIRA instance to the newest version
* Configure issue type schemes, create customized workflows, modify permission schemes, and change notification schemes
* Implement JIRA Service Desk to manage your support tickets
* Customize JIRA for test management, helpdesk, and requirement management
* Deploy JIRA for Agile tracking using the Scrum and Kanban techniques
* Develop JIRA add-ons to extend JIRA's functionality
* Migrate data from external systems using CSV import
* Integrate your JIRA application with third-party tools such as Confluence, SVN, and Git
Atlassian JIRA 7 is an enterprise issue tracker system. One of its key strengths is its ability to adapt to the needs of an organization, ranging from building software products to managing your support issues.
This book provides a comprehensive explanation covering all three components of JIRA 7, such as JIRA Software, JIRA Core, and Jira Service Desk. It shows you how to master the key functionalities of JIRA and its customizations and useful add-ons, and is packed with real-world examples and use cases.
You will first learn how to plan for a JIRA 7 installation and fetch data. We cover JIRA reports in detail, which will help you analyze your data effectively. You can add additional features to your JIRA application by choosing one of the already built-in add-ons or building a new one to suit your needs.
Then you'll find out about implementing Agile methodologies in JIRA by creating Scrum and Kanban boards. We'll teach you how to integrate your JIRA Application with other tools such as Confluence, SVN, Git, and more, which will help you extend your application. Finally, we'll explore best practices and troubleshooting techniques to help you find out what went wrong and understand how to fix it.
STYLE AND APPROACH
This comprehensive book covers the advanced and new features of JIRA 7 with the help of rich code-based, real-world examples and use cases. « less
Bring the power of Agile to Atlassian JIRA and run your projects efficiently with Scrum and Kanban
***** About This Book *****
* Plan and manage projects effortlessly with JIRA Agile by integrating it with other applications
* Improve your team's performance with Scrum and Kanban together with agile methodology
* Easy-to-follow learning guide to install JIRA Agile and understand how it fits in more » with Atlassian JIRA
***** Who This Book Is For *****
If you want to get started with JIRA Agile and learn how to run your JIRA projects the agile way, then this is the perfect book for you. You will need to be familiar with the basics of JIRA, both from an end user's and an administrator's perspective. Experience with workflows, custom fields, and other administrative functions of JIRA will be useful.
***** What You Will Learn *****
* Understand how JIRA Agile and JIRA work together
* Install JIRA Agile and extend it beyond project tracking
* Manage and run your JIRA projects with Scrum or Kanban
* Customize your agile boards to adapt to your team's workflow process
* Create and share project statuses with amazing charts
* Plan your sprints with JIRA Agile and Team Calendar
* Integrate JIRA Agile with Confluence
* Redefine your project management process with the Atlassian stack
JIRA Agile (formerly known as GreenHopper) is a plugin that adds agile project management to any JIRA project. It allows you to visualize your existing process and stimulate incremental improvement. JIRA Agile brings the power of agile methodology to Atlassian JIRA.
With JIRA Agile Essentials you will dive straight into the action, exploring critical agile terminologies and concepts in the context of JIRA Agile. Learn to install and run JIRA Agile, and set it up to run with Scrum and Kanban. Collaborate with your colleagues to define requirements, create user stories, and manage and plan sprints based on the availability of your members. Create reports and share your project progress with other stakeholders.
With this practical guide, you will develop a great working knowledge of JIRA Agile and make your project management much more efficient. « less
Understanding Scrum, XP, Lean, and Kanban
Agile has revolutionized the way teams approach software development, but with dozens of agile methodologies to choose from, the decision to "go agile" can be tricky. This practical book helps you sort it out, first by grounding you in agile's underlying principles, then by describing four specific-and more » well-used-agile methods: Scrum, extreme programming (XP), Lean, and Kanban.
Each method focuses on a different area of development, but they all aim to change your team's mindsetâfrom individuals who simply follow a plan to a cohesive group that makes decisions together. Whether you're considering agile for the first time, or trying it again, you'll learn how to choose a method that best fits your team and your company. « less
A Practical Guide to Agile Requirements Discovery
Most books about specifications still assume that requirements can be known up front and won’t change much during your project. In today’s “real world,” however, you must specify and build software in the face of high and continuing uncertainty. Scrum and other agile methods have evolved to reflect this more » reality. Now, there’s a complete guide to specifying software in agile environments when prerequisites are unclear, requirements are difficult to grasp, and anything about your project could change.
Long-time agile coach and enterprise architect Mario Cardinal shows how to create executable specifications and use them to test software behavior against requirements. Cardinal shows how to trawl requirements incrementally, step-by-step, using a vision-centric and emergent iterative practice that is designed for agility. Writing for analysts, architects, developers, and managers, Cardinal makes a strong case for the iterative discovery of requirements. Then, he moves from theory to practice, fully explaining the technical mechanisms and empirical techniques you need to gain full value from executable specifications.
You’ll learn to connect specifications with software under construction, link requirements to architecture, and automate requirements verification within the Scrum framework. Above all, Cardinal will help you solve the paramount challenge of software development: not only to solve the problem right, but also to solve the right problem.
You will learn how to
• Establish more effective agile roles for analysts and architects
• Integrate and simplify the best techniques from FIT, ATDD, and BDD
• Identify “core certainties” on which your project team should rely to ensure requirements discovery
• Manage uncertainty by discovering stakeholder desires through short feedback loops
• Specify as you go while writing small chunks of requirements
• Use storyboarding and paper prototyping to improve conversations with stakeholders
• Express stakeholder desires that are requirements with user stories
• Refine your user stories, and plan more effective Scrum sprints
• Confirm user stories by scripting behaviors with scenarios
• Transform scenarios into automated tests that easily confirm your software’s expected behavior as designs emerge and specifications evolve
• Ensure higher-quality software by specifying nonfunctional requirements « less
Agile Tactics, Tools, & Tips
Practical, Step-by-Step Scrum Techniques for Improving Processes, Actions, and Outcomes
The widespread adoption and success of Scrum can be attributed in large part to its perceived intuitiveness and simplicity. But when new Scrum practitioners attempt to apply Scrum theory and high-level approaches more » in actual projects, they often find it surprisingly difficult. In Scrum Shortcuts without Cutting Corners, Scrum expert Ilan Goldstein helps you translate the Scrum framework into reality to meet the Scrum challenges your formal training never warned you about.
Drawing on his extensive agile experience in a wide range of projects and environments, Goldstein presents thirty proven, flexible shortcuts for optimizing Scrum processes, actions, and outcomes. Each shortcut walks you through applying a Scrum approach to achieve a tangible output. These easy-to-digest, actionable patterns address a broad range of topics including getting started, quality and metrics, team members and roles, managing stakeholders, estimation, continuous improvement and much more.
Whatever your role, Scrum Shortcuts without Cutting Corners will help you take your Scrum skills to the next level and achieve better results in any project you participate in. « less
A collection of tips, tricks, and war stories to help the professional ScrumMaster break the chains of traditional organization and management
A natural and difficult tension exists between a project team (supply) and its customer (demand); a professional ScrumMaster relaxes this tension using the Scrum framework so that the team arrives at the best possible outcome.
The Professional ScrumMaster's Handbook is a practical, no-nonsense guide more » to helping you become an inspiring and effective ScrumMaster known for getting results.
This book goes into great detail about why it seems like you're fighting traditional management culture every step of the way. You will explore the three roles of Scrum and how, working in harmony, they can deliver a product in the leanest way possible. « less
A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process
A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process
The Single-Source, Comprehensive Guide to Scrum for All Team Members, Managers, and Executives
If you want to use Scrum to develop innovative products and services that delight your customers, Essential Scrumis the complete, single-source reference more » you’ve been searching for. Leading Scrum coach and trainer Kenny Rubin illuminates the values, principles, and practices of Scrum, and describes flexible, proven approaches that can help you implement it far more effectively.
Whether you are new to Scrum or years into your use, this book will introduce, clarify, and deepen your Scrum knowledge at the team, product, and portfolio levels. Drawing from Rubin’s experience helping hundreds of organizations succeed with Scrum, this book provides easy-to-digest descriptions enhanced by more than two hundred illustrations based on an entirely new visual icon language for describing Scrum’s roles, artifacts, and activities.
Essential Scrumwill provide every team member, manager, and executive with a common understanding of Scrum, a shared vocabulary they can use in applying it, and practical knowledge for deriving maximum value from it. « less
Professional guidance on using Microsoft's Visual Studio toolset for agile project management Focusing on both process and results, this professional guide offers a practical approach to running agile software projects using Visual Studio's project management templates and tools. You'll first get a thorough more » overview of the interaction between traditional, scrum-based agile development techniques and the Microsoft Soutions Framework, before drilling down into the detail.
The book covers tools, best practices, key templates, key data, team and process models, necessary tracking assets--and a host of other project challenges, such as project communication, organization, and budgets. Shows how to use Microsoft's agile Visual Studio toolset for agile project management Written by leading experts from Microsoft and industry, this is an authoritative guide to agile development for all Microsoft-based projects Teaches basic concepts through best practices for delivering great software on time Covers the interaction of traditional, scrum-based agile development techniques and the Microsoft Solutions Framework Focuses on what must be in place to keep a project on track, including team models, process models, detailed tracking assets, and more Professional Scrum with Team foundation Server 2010 combines theory with practical experience to help experienced software project managers and developers ship reliable software on time. « less
Deliver Better Games Faster, On Budget—And Make Game Development Fun Again!
Game development is in crisis—facing bloated budgets, impossible schedules, unmanageable complexity, and death march overtime. It’s no wonder so many development studios are struggling to survive. Fortunately, there is a more » solution. Scrum and Agile methods are already revolutionizing development outside the game industry. Now, long-time game developer Clinton Keith shows exactly how to successfully apply these methods to the unique challenges of game development.
Keith has spent more than fifteen years developing games, seven of them with Scrum and agile methods. Drawing on this unparalleled expertise, he shows how teams can use Scrum to deliver games more efficiently, rapidly, and cost-effectively; craft games that offer more entertainment value; and make life more fulfilling for development teams at the same time.
You’ll learn to form successful agile teams that incorporate programmers, producers, artists, testers, and designers—and promote effective collaboration within and beyond those teams, throughout the entire process. From long-range planning to progress tracking and continuous integration, Keith offers dozens of tips, tricks, and solutions—all based firmly in reality and hard-won experience.
* Understanding Scrum’s goals, roles, and practices in the context of game development
* Communicating and planning your game’s vision, features, and progress
* Using iterative techniques to put your game into a playable state every two to four weeks— even daily
* Helping all team participants succeed in their roles
* Restoring stability and predictability to the development process
* Managing ambiguous requirements in a fluid marketplace
* Scaling Scrum to large, geographically distributed development teams
* Getting started: overcoming inertia and integrating Scrum into your studio’s current processes
Increasingly, game developers and managers are recognizing that things can’t go on the way they have in the past. Game development organizations need a far better way to work. Agile Game Development with Scrum gives them that—and brings the profitability, creativity, and fun back to game development. « less
Originally created for agile software development, scrum provides project managers with the flexibility needed to meet ever-changing consumer demands. Presenting a modified version of the agile software development framework, Scrum Project Management introduces Scrum basics and explains how to apply more » this adaptive technique to effectively manage a wide range of programs and complex projects.
The book provides proven planning methods for controlling project scope and ensuring your project stays on schedule. It includes scrum tracking methods to help your team maintain a focus on improving throughput and streamlining communications. It also demonstrates how to:
* Combine traditional project management methods with scrum
* Adapt the familiar work breakdown structure to create scrum backlogs and sprints
* Use a scrum of scrums to manage programs
* Apply earned value management, critical path, and PERT in the context of scrum
Having successfully deployed and implemented scrum across multiple companies and departments, the authors provide valuable insight into how they achieved their past successes and how they overcame the trials involved with the deployment of a scrum environment. Throughout the text they discuss improvisation, creative problem solving, and emergent phenomena―detailing the methods needed to ensure your team achieves project success. « less