Ward off traditional security permissions and effectively secure your Linux systems with SELinux
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Leverage SELinux to improve the secure state of your Linux system
* A clear approach to adopting SELinux within your organization
* Essential skills and techniques to help further your system administration career
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is for Linux administrators who more » want to control the secure state of their systems. It's packed with the latest information on SELinux operations and administrative procedures so you'll be able to further harden your system through mandatory access control (MAC) – a security strategy that has been shaping Linux security for years.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Analyze SELinux events and selectively enable or disable SELinux enforcement
* Manage Linux users and associate them with the right role and permission set
* Secure network communications through SELinux access controls
* Tune the full service flexibility by dynamically assigning resource labels
* Handle SELinux access patterns enforced through the system
* Query the SELinux policy in depth
Do you have the crucial job of protecting your private and company systems from malicious attacks and undefined application behavior? Are you looking to secure your Linux systems with improved access controls? Look no further, intrepid administrator! This book will show you how to enhance your system's secure state across Linux distributions, helping you keep application vulnerabilities at bay.
This book covers the core SELinux concepts and shows you how to leverage SELinux to improve the protection measures of a Linux system. You will learn the SELinux fundamentals and all of SELinux's configuration handles including conditional policies, constraints, policy types, and audit capabilities. These topics are paired with genuine examples of situations and issues you may come across as an administrator. In addition, you will learn how to further harden the virtualization offering of both libvirt (sVirt) and Docker through SELinux.
By the end of the book you will know how SELinux works and how you can tune it to meet your needs.
STYLE AND APPROACH
This book offers a complete overview of SELinux administration and how it integrates with other components on a Linux system. It covers the majority of SELinux features with a mix of real life scenarios, descriptions, and examples. This book contains everything an administrator needs to customize SELinux. « less
Discover Security Enhancements (SE) for Android to build your own protected Android-based systems
You will start by exploring the nature of the security mechanisms behind Linux and SELinux, and as you complete the chapters, you will integrate and enable SE for Android into a System on Chip (SoC), a process that, prior to this book, has never before been documented in its entirety! Discover Android's more » unique user space, from its use of the common UID and GID model to promote its security goals to its custom binder IPC mechanism. Explore the interface between the kernel and user space with respect to SELinux and investigate contexts and labels and their application to system objects.
This book will help you develop the necessary skills to evaluate and engineer secured products with the Android platform, whether you are new to world of Security Enhanced Linux (SELinux) or experienced in secure system deployment. « less
Master All the Techniques You Need to Succeed with Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux
* Set up key Internet servers, step by step, including Samba, Apache, sendmail, DNS, FTP, and other Internet servers
* Automate and streamline administration with this edition’s outstanding new chapter on Perl more » scripting
* Master GUI-based admin tools and the powerful Linux command line (CLI)
In this book, one of the world’s leading Linux experts brings together all the knowledge you’ll need to succeed with Fedora or Red Hat Enterprise Linux in any real-world environment. Best-selling author Mark Sobell explains Linux clearly and effectively, focusing on skills you’ll actually use as an administrator, user, or programmer.
Sobell assumes no prior Linux knowledge. He starts at the beginning and walks you through every topic and task that matters, using easy-to-understand examples. Step by step, you’ll learn how to install and configure Linux from the accompanying DVD, navigate its graphical user interfaces, provide file/print sharing and Internet services, make sure Linux desktops and networks are as secure as possible, work with the powerful command line, administer Linux efficiently, and even automate administration with Perl scripts.
Mark Sobell has taught hundreds of thousands of Linux and UNIX professionals. He knows every Linux nook and cranny–and he never forgets what it’s like to be new to Linux. Whatever you’ll want to do with Linux–now or in the future–this book gives you everything you’ll need.
Compared with the other Linux books out there, A Practical Guide to Fedora™ and Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®, Fifth Edition, delivers
* Complete, up-to-the-minute coverage of Fedora 12 and RHEL 5
* Deeper coverage of the command line and the newest GUIs, including desktop customization
* More practical coverage of file sharing using Samba, NFS, and FTP
* More and better coverage of automating administration with Perl
* More usable, realistic coverage of Internet server configuration, including Apache, sendmail, NFS, DNS/BIND, and LDAP
* More state-of-the-art security techniques, including SELinux (Security Enhanced Linux), ACLs (Access Control Lists), firewall setup using both the Red Hat GUI and iptables, and a full chapter on OpenSSH
* More and better coverage of system/network administration tasks, including new coverage of network monitoring with Cacti
* Complete instructions on keeping Linux systems up-to-date using yum
* And much more, including a 500+ term glossary and a comprehensive index
Includes DVD! Get the full version of the Fedora 12 release! « less