This second edition of Digital Optical Communications provides a comprehensive treatment of the modern aspects of coherent homodyne and self-coherent reception techniques using algorithms incorporated in digital signal processing (DSP) systems and DSP-based transmitters to overcome several linear and more » nonlinear transmission impairments and frequency mismatching between the local oscillator and the carrier, as well as clock recovery and cycle slips. These modern transmission systems have emerged as the core technology for Tera-bits per second (bps) and Peta-bps optical Internet for the near future.
Featuring extensive updates to all existing chapters, Advanced Digital Optical Communications, Second Edition:
* Contains new chapters on optical fiber structures and propagation, optical coherent receivers, DSP equalizer algorithms, and high-order spectral DSP receivers
* Examines theoretical foundations, practical case studies, and MATLAB® and Simulink® models for simulation transmissions
* Includes new end-of-chapter practice problems and useful appendices to supplement technical information
Downloadable content available with qualifying course adoption
Advanced Digital Optical Communications, Second Edition supplies a fundamental understanding of digital communication applications in optical communication technologies, emphasizing operation principles versus heavy mathematical analysis. It is an ideal text for aspiring engineers and a valuable professional reference for those involved in optics, telecommunications, electronics, photonics, and digital signal processing. « less
Get up and running with Simulink with this hands-on, easy-to-read guide
Written by an experienced engineer, this book will help you utilize the great user-friendly features of Simulink to advance your modeling, testing, and interfacing skills. Packed with illustrations and step-by-step walkthroughs.
* Dig deep into Simulink
* No unnecessary theory - start more » modelling right away
* Complex concepts made easy through examples
* Packed with illustrations and detailed step-by-step walkthroughs
Simulink is an engineer's Swiss army knife: instead of spending the day typing out complex formulas, Simulink enables you to both draw and execute them. Block after block, you can develop your ideas without struggling with obscure programming languages and you don't have to wait to debug your algorithm - just launch a simulation!
Getting Started with Simulink will give you comprehensive knowledge of Simulink's capabilities. From the humble constant block to the S-function block, you will have a clear understanding of what modelling really means, without feeling that something has been left out. By the time you close the book, you'll be able to further extend your modelling skills without any help.
We''ll start with a brief introduction, and immediately start placing the first blocks. Little by little, you'll build a car cruise controller model, followed by the mathematical model of a sports car in order to calibrate it. Then you'll learn how to interface your Simulink model with the external world. This book will give you an easy understanding of the tools Simulink offers you, guiding you through a complex exercise split into the three main phases of Simulink development: modelling, testing, and interfacing.
What you will learn from this book
* Understand the pros and cons of Simulink
* Describe your ideas using block diagrams
* Tune your simulation parameters
* Draw clean, uncluttered models by reusing the logic and subdividing it into inner blocks
* Run simulations with the appropriate source blocks
* Analyse the simulation results with the scope block
* Implement S-functions to reuse legacy code
* Interface Simulink with applications outside the MATLAB environment
This practical and easy-to-understand learning tutorial is one big exciting exercise for students and engineers that are always short on their schedules and want to regain some lost time with the help of Simulink.
Who this book is written for
This book is aimed at students and engineers who need a quick start with Simulink. Though it's not required in order to understand how Simulink works, knowledge of physics will help the reader to understand the exercises described. « less
This book describes the principles of image and video compression techniques and introduces current and popular compression standards, such as the MPEG series. Derivations of relevant compression algorithms are developed in an easy-to-follow fashion. Numerous examples are provided in each chapter to more » illustrate the concepts. The book includes complementary software written in MATLAB SIMULINK to give readers hands-on experience in using and applying various video compression methods. Readers can enhance the software by including their own algorithms. « less