Three.js – HTML5 and WebGL
Over the year’s web browsers have been incorporating new technologies, changing from simple page viewers with plain text and some images to platforms that allow us to create three-dimensional games.
The revolution began with improved CSS styles and continued with the addition of relational and documental more » databases and the ability to create applications that work in offline mode without internet connection. Progress continued with the incorporation of audiovisual technologies, the possibility of watching movies, native audio management, including speech recognition and speech synthesis for reading texts. Finally, the incorporation of 3D technology (WebGL) with hardware acceleration, motion detection and virtual reality technology, have meant that the WEB programming is as every bit as good as other platforms and traditional languages.
Therefore, I decided to start a collection of books that allows us to explore these developments and become true experts. To distinguish the collection from other books on the market I’ve focused on teaching how to perform a role-playing game in first person, merely as an excuse to gradually introduce WEB technologies.
What does the first book of the collection cover?
The book is aimed at those who want to explore how to create 3D animation, either to add visual elements to their web pages, as well as those who want to try their luck in game design. In it we’ll learn how to:
• Use the Three.js library to create and animate a basic scene.
• To prepare the development environment and solve the main problems we encounter.
• To use geometries and materials offered by the default library.
• To create advanced textures and transparencies.
• To illuminate the scene and create shadows.
• To load objects made with third party platforms and animate them using different techniques.
• To use the keyboard, mouse and even body movement to control the camera.
Finally, we’ll create our first game location. A beautiful medieval village with its castle and cemetery, full of villagers walking about and doing daily chores and a thick forest full of dangerous monsters.
What is the game like?
The game spans from the creation of 3D scenes to the management of music and sound effects, artificial intelligence, character animation and monsters, saving the current game, subsequently recovering it and finally packaging.
What prior knowledge is needed?
Principles of Conversational Experiences
Voice user interfaces (VUIs) are becoming all the rage today. But how do you build one that people can actually converse with? Whether you’re designing a mobile app, a toy, or a device such as a home assistant, this practical book guides you through basic VUI design principles, helps you choose the right more » speech recognition engine, and shows you how to measure your VUI’s performance and improve upon it.
Author Cathy Pearl also takes product managers, UX designers, and VUI designers into advanced design topics that will help make your VUI not just functional, but great.
* Understand key VUI design concepts, including command-and-control and conversational systems
* Decide if you should use an avatar or other visual representation with your VUI
* Explore speech recognition technology and its impact on your design
* Take your VUI above and beyond the basic exchange of information
* Learn practical ways to test your VUI application with users
* Monitor your app and learn how to quickly improve performance
* Get real-world examples of VUIs for home assistants, smartwatches, and car systems « less
This edited volume contains a selection of refereed and revised papers originally presented at the International Symposium on Signal Processing and Intelligent Recognition Systems (SIRS-2014), March 13-15, 2014, Trivandrum, India. The program committee received 134 submissions from 11 countries. Each more » paper was peer reviewed by at least three or more independent referees of the program committee and the 52 papers were finally selected. The papers offer stimulating insights into Pattern Recognition, Machine Learning and Knowledge-Based Systems; Signal and Speech Processing; Image and Video Processing; Mobile Computing and Applications and Computer Vision. The book is directed to the researchers and scientists engaged in various field of signal processing and related areas. « less
A Human Factors Approach
Incorporating Compass Computer Access Assessment software, Computer Access for People with Disabilities: A Human Factors Approach provides the information clinicians need to know in order to provide effective alternative computer access solutions to individuals with disabilities. Originally developed more » for a masters-level course on computer access for rehabilitation engineers and rehabilitation counselors, it provides practical guidance on how to provide computer access services and sufficient background knowledge to allow the reader to interpret the research literature.
* Presents technology for individuals with physical, cognitive, and sensory impairments, and for older adults
* Covers text entry devices, pointing devices, switch access, automatic speech recognition, and web accessibility
* Emphasizes fundamental concepts and principles that remain true regardless of which specific operating system or product is being used
* Draws on research from the fields of rehabilitation engineering, occupational therapy, and human-computer interaction (HCI) « less
Offers the most complete, up-to-date coverage available on the principles of digital communications. Focuses on basic issues, relating theory to practice wherever possible. Numerous examples, worked out in detail, have been included to help the reader develop an intuitive grasp of the theory. Topics more » covered include the sampling process, digital modulation techniques, error-control coding, robust quantization for pulse-code modulation, coding speech at low bit radio, information theoretic concepts, coding and computer communication. Because the book covers a broad range of topics in digital communications, it should satisfy a variety of backgrounds and interests. « less
An App-Driven Approach
The professional programmer’s Deitel® guide to Android™ smartphone and tablet app development and the Eclipse IDE with the Android Development Tools (ADT) plug-in
Billions of apps have been downloaded from Android Market! This book gives you everything you’ll need to start developing great Android more » apps quickly and getting them published on Android Market. The book uses an app-driven approach—each new technology is discussed in the context of 16 fully tested Android apps, complete with syntax coloring, code walkthroughs and sample outputs. Apps you’ll develop include:
* SpotOn Game
* Flag Quiz
* Route Tracker
* Favorite Twitter® Searches
* Address Book
* Tip Calculator
* Weather Viewer
* Cannon Game
* Voice Recorder
* Pizza Ordering
Practical, example-rich coverage of:
* Smartphone and Tablet Apps, Android Development Tools (ADT) Plug-In for Eclipse
* Activities, Intents, Content Providers
* GUI Components, Menus, Toasts, Resource Files, Touch and Gesture Processing
* Tablet Apps, ActionBar and AppWidgets
* Tweened Animations, Property Animations
* Camera, Audio, Video, Graphics, OpenGL ES
* Gallery and Media Library Access
* SharedPreferences, Serialization, SQLite
* Handlers and Multithreading, Games
* Google Maps, GPS, Location Services, Sensors
* Internet-Enabled Apps, Web Services, Telephony, Bluetooth®
* Speech Synthesis and Recognition
* Android Market, Pricing, Monetization
* And more…
PLUS: Register your product at www.informit.com/register for additional online chapters that cover Android Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4), including a complete, working Ice Cream Sandwich app!
* For information on Deitel’s Dive Into® Series instructor-led programming language training courses offered at customer sites worldwide visit www.deitel.com/training or write to email@example.com
* Download code examples
* Check out the growing list of programming Resource Centers
* Join the Deitel Twitter (@deitel) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/DeitelFan) communities
* To receive updates for this book, subscribe to the free Deitel ® Buzz Online e-mail newsletter at www.deitel.com/newsletter/subscribe.html « less
Applications to Speech and Audio Coding
This book presents tools and algorithms required to compress / uncompress signals such as speech and music. These algorithms are largely used in mobile phones, DVD players, HDTV sets, etc.
In a first rather theoretical part, this book presents the standard tools used in compression systems: scalar more » and vector quantization, predictive quantization, transform quantization, entropy coding. In particular we show the consistency between these different tools. The second part explains how these tools are used in the latest speech and audio coders. The third part gives Matlab programs simulating these coders. « less
The Digital Signal Processing Handbook
Now available in a three-volume set, this updated and expanded edition of the bestselling The Digital Signal Processing Handbook continues to provide the engineering community with authoritative coverage of the fundamental and specialized aspects of information-bearing signals in digital form. Encompassing more » essential background material, technical details, standards, and software, the second edition reflects cutting-edge information on signal processing algorithms and protocols related to speech, audio, multimedia, and video processing technology associated with standards ranging from WiMax to MP3 audio, low-power/high-performance DSPs, color image processing, and chips on video. Drawing on the experience of leading engineers, researchers, and scholars, the three-volume set contains 29 new chapters that address multimedia and Internet technologies, tomography, radar systems, architecture, standards, and future applications in speech, acoustics, video, radar, and telecommunications.
Emphasizing theoretical concepts, Digital Signal Processing Fundamentals provides comprehensive coverage of the basic foundations of DSP and includes the following parts: Signals and Systems; Signal Representation and Quantization; Fourier Transforms; Digital Filtering; Statistical Signal Processing; Adaptive Filtering; Inverse Problems and Signal Reconstruction; and Time–Frequency and Multirate Signal Processing. « less
Audio Signal Processing for Next-Generation Multimedia Communication Systems presents cutting-edge digital signal processing theory and implementation techniques for problems including speech acquisition and enhancement using microphone arrays, new adaptive filtering algorithms, multichannel acoustic more » echo cancellation, sound source tracking and separation, audio coding, and realistic sound stage reproduction. This book's focus is almost exclusively on the processing, transmission, and presentation of audio and acoustic signals in multimedia communications for telecollaboration where immersive acoustics will play a great role in the near future. « less
Coding for Low Bit Rate Communication Systems
Building on the success of the first edition Digital Speech offers extensive new, updated and revised material based upon the latest research. This Second Edition continues to provide the fundamental technical background required for low bit rate speech coding and the hottest developments in digital more » speech coding techniques that are applicable to evolving communication systems.
Written by a well-known, highly respected academic, this authoritative volume will be invaluable to practising engineers, network designers, computer scientists and advanced students in communications, electrical and electronic engineering. « less