Learn to set up the latest CentOS Linux network services including DNS, DHCP, SSH and VNC, Web, FTP, Mail, Firewall, and LDAP, enabling you to provide these services on your own network. CentOS continues to be a popular Linux distribution choice, and setting up your own services is a key skill for anyone more » maintaining a CentOS network.
You will learn how to install CentOS, and manage basic administration. You’ll then move onto understanding networking, and how to set up your required services. Each chapter is written in an easy-to-digest format and teaches you how set up, manage, and troubleshoot each service. You’ll be running your own network in no time at all.
What You Will Learn
* Install and set up the latest version of CentOS
* Configure and manage a wide range of network services
* Solve problems remotely and manage your network efficiently
Who This Book Is For
Anyone who wants to learn how to set up and manage CentOS Linux network services. Some previous Linux experience is beneficial, but this book is designed to be used by beginners. « less
* Automate tasks effectively and take charge of your infrastructure
* Effectively scale Salt to manage thousands of machines and tackle everyday problems
* Explore Salt’s inner workings and advance your knowledge of it
SaltStack is a powerful configuration management more » and automation suite designed to manage servers and tens of thousands of nodes. This book showcases Salt as a very powerful automation framework. We will review the fundamental concepts to get you in the right frame of mind, and then explore Salt in much greater depth. You will explore Salt SSH as a powerful tool and take Salt Cloud to the next level. Next, you’ll master using Salt services with ease in your infrastructure. You will discover methods and strategies to scale your infrastructure properly. You will also learn how to use Salt as a powerful monitoring tool.
By the end of this book, you will have learned troubleshooting tips and best practices to make the entire process of using Salt pain-free and easy.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Automate tasks effectively, so that your infrastructure can run itself
* Start building more complex concepts
* Master user-level internals
* Build scaling strategies
* Explore monitoring strategies
* Learn how to troubleshoot Salt and its subcomponents
* Explore best practices for Salt
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Starting as a support technician and progressing to being a web programmer, QA engineer, systems administrator, Linux instructor, and cloud engineer, Joseph Hall has touched just about every area of the modern technology world. He is currently a senior cloud and integrations engineer at SaltStack. Joseph enjoys working with some of the best minds in the business with his coworkers and SaltStack's partners. He is also the author of Extending SaltStack, Packt Publishing.
You can find him on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/techhat and on GitHub at https://github.com/techhat.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Essentials Revisited
2. Diving into Salt Internals
3. Managing States
4. Exploring Salt SSH
5. Managing Tasks Asynchronously
6. Taking Advantage of Salt Information Systems
7. Taking Salt Cloud to the Next Level
8. Using Salt with REST
9. Understanding the RAET and TCP Transports
10. Strategies for Scaling
11. Monitoring with Salt
12. Exploring Best Practices
13. Troubleshooting Problems « less
Over 90 recipes to satisfy all your automation needs and leverage vRealize Orchestrator 7.1 for your projects
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Unleash the power of VMware vRealize Orchestrator 7 and automate your VMware infrastructure
* Customize and tune your orchestrator by programming and working with plugins
* Work through enticing recipes that can be implemented in your organization
* Explore the new and upcoming more » plugins of Puppet, Docker, Chef, and VMware Replication for VMware vRealize Orchestrator
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is for system administrators who are into VMware administration and are looking to automate their infrastructure. Basic knowledge about programming is needed. No previous knowledge of Orchestrator is required.
This book will also be good for you if you have just a basic knowledge with vRealize Orchestrator, as you can pick up any recipe and implement it for your enterprise.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Install, configure, and optimize Orchestrator installations (Windows, Appliance, and vRA integrated)
* Explore all the visual programming elements without needing additional infrastructure
* Work with plugins such as SSH, mail, SQL, PowerShell, AD, SOAP, SNMP, AMQP, and REST
* Discover how to create VMware automation
* Get to know about user management, import/export, and synchronization as well as the packaging application
* Understand policies, resources, and web views
* Troubleshoot vRO Appliance
VMware vRealize Orchestrator is a powerful automation tool designed for system administrators and IT operations staff who are planning to streamline their tasks and are waiting to integrate the functions with third-party operations software. This book is an update to VMware vRealize Orchestrator Cookbook and is blend of numerous recipes on vRealize Orchestrator 7.
This book starts with installing and configuring vRealize Orchestrator. We will demonstrate how to upgrade from previous versions to vRealize Orchestrator 7. You will be taught all about orchestrator plugins and how to use and develop various plugins that have been enhanced in Orchestrator 7. Throughout this book, you will explore the new features of Orchestrator 7, such as the introduction of the control center, along with its uses.
You will also come to understand visual programming, how to integrate base plugins into workflows, and how to automate VMware. You will also get to know how to troubleshoot vRealize Orchestrator.
By the end of this book, you will be able to get the most out of your Orchestrator installation, and will be able to develop complex workflows and create your own highly integrated automations of vRealize environments.
STYLE AND APPROACH
This practical guide provides exciting and practical recipes on VMware vRealize Orchestrator 7 for those who are waiting to automate their infrastructure. « less
Over 25 recipes to build projects and applications for multiple platforms with Banana Pi
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Design, develop, and customize real-world applications and projects rapidly and easily using Banana Pi
* Quick solutions to the most common real-world problems on the amazing Banana Pi
* Step-by-step recipes to help you experience the vast possibilities of the device by setting up more » interesting applications
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is intended for anybody who wants to learn how they can utilize the capabilities of the Banana Pi to its full potential. It's full of step-by-step guides and detailed descriptions for the whole range of possibilities in a language that is appropriate for computer enthusiasts and experts alike. It would be helpful to have a basic knowledge of Unix-like operating systems or programming, but no prior experience is required as every concept is explained in the appropriate sections.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Discover how to configure and maintain your Banana Pi device
* Install Android and a Linux-based distribution onto Banana Pi
* Attach external drives to your Banana Pi by using the USB or SATA interfaces
* Share files between your Banana Pi and other devices either in your internal network or over the Internet
* Connect remotely to your Banana Pi using SSH and VNC
* Build simple electrical circuits and connect simple hardware elements such as LEDs, resistors, and buttons to the GPIO pins
* Configure a multimedia center that is able to play high-definition content
Banana Pi is a dual core single board microcomputer like Raspberry Pi but is much faster, more cost-effective, and performs more efficiently than Raspberry Pi.
Banana Pi Cookbook is a practical guide that starts with setting up Banana Pi and moves on to exploring the more advanced capabilities of the device. You will learn to build a decent Linux-based operating system that can resolve common server tasks (Samba, Web, DLNA) and multimedia challenges. Also, you will see how to use the GPIO opportunities by building simple but straightforward circuits.
By the end of this book, you will be an expert in using Banana Pi to deploy a variety of hardware and software applications. « less
Unleash the power of Banana Pi and use it for home automation, games, and various practical applications
ABOUT THIS BOOK
* Using Banana Pi, learn how to install and build basic projects from start to end
* Learn all the fundamentals and uses of Banana Pi to build projects in a short amount of time
* A step-by-step practical guide that teaches you how to get up and start running with Banana Pi to start more » working on your own projects
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
This book is for anyone who wants to explore Banana Pi and get started building projects on their own using it. No prior experience of working with single board computers is required.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Get started with single-board computing by diving deep into the operating system and hardware of Banana Pi
* Interact with the GPIO pins from scripts and code to start programming on the board
* Connect hardware components to the GPIO pins and control them directly from Banana Pi
* Connect Banana Pi devices with your home network to download packages from the Internet
* Link your Banana Pi remotely with other computers via SSH to run as a headless device
* Work with the onboard IR receiver of Banana Pi as well as connect external sensors and interact with them through their code
* Build an Internet radio powered by Banana Pi to stream podcasts and music
* Build and run a home server using Banana Pi to sync files, calendars, and contacts
Banana Pi is a small but powerful ARM board that can run on multiple operating systems. Banana Pi has been adopted by tech-savvy enthusiasts and hobbyists to develop their projects.
This book will take you from opening your Banana Pi's box for the first time all the way to working with hardware and code. We will explore the different configuration options and operating system choices. You'll proceed to working with Banana Pi hooked up to a breadboard and connecting hardware components such as LEDs and motors to the board. Further, you'll build an Internet radio working with an LCD display, interacting with user input, and streaming audio over the Internet. This book also acquaints you with another really popular use of Banana Pi, home servers. Finally, you'll realize the power of the robust hardware of Banana Pi by playing games on Android and Linux.
By the end of this book, you should be familiar with the basics of development using Banana Pi, from installation to building basic projects. « less
“First Sobell taught people how to use Linux . . . now he teaches you the power of Linux. A must-have book for anyone who wants to take Linux to the next level.”
–Jon “maddog” Hall, Executive Director, Linux International
New Chapters on Python and MySQL–Covers Perl, too!
* Learn from hundreds more » of realistic, high-quality examples, and become a true Linux command-line guru!
* NEW! Covers busybox, Midnight Commander, screen, and sshfs/curlftpf
* Covers the Mac OS X command line and its unique tools
* 295-page reference covers 98 utilities, including Mac OS X commands!
For use with all popular versions of Linux, including Ubuntu™, Fedora™, openSUSE™, Red Hat®, Debian, Mageia, Mint, Arch, CentOS, and Mac OS X, too!
The Most Useful Tutorial and Reference, with Hundreds of High-Quality Examples for Every Popular Linux Distribution
Linux is today’s dominant Internet server platform. System administrators and Web developers need deep Linux fluency, including expert knowledge of shells and the command line. This is the only guide with everything you need to achieve that level of Linux mastery. Renowned Linux expert Mark Sobell has brought together comprehensive, insightful guidance on the tools sysadmins, developers, and power users need most, and has created an outstanding day-to-day reference.
This title is 100 percent distribution and release agnostic. Packed with hundreds of high-quality, realistic examples, it presents Linux from the ground up: the clearest explanations and most useful information about everything from filesystems to shells, editors to utilities, and programming tools to regular expressions.
Use a Mac? You’ll find coverage of the Mac OS X command line, including OS X-only tools and utilities other Linux/UNIX titles ignore. Sobell presents a new MySQL chapter. There’s even an expert introduction to Python–today’s most valuable tool for automating complex, time-consuming administration tasks.
A Practical Guide to Linux® Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming, Third Edition, is the only guide to deliver
* A MySQL chapter to get you started with this ubiquitous relational database management system (RDBMS)
* A masterful introduction to Python for system administrators and power users
* New coverage of the busybox single binary collection of utilities, the screen terminal session manager/multiplexer, and the mc (Midnight Commander) textual file manager, plus a new chapter on using ssh for secure communication
* In-depth coverage of the bash and tcsh shells, including a complete discussion of environment, inheritance, and process locality, plus coverage of basic and advanced shell programming
* Practical explanations of 98 core utilities, from aspell to xargs, including printf and sshfs/curlftpfs, PLUS Mac OS X-specific utilities from ditto to SetFile
* Expert guidance on automating remote backups using rsync
* Dozens of system security tips, including step-by-step walkthroughs of implementing secure communications using ssh and scp
* Tips and tricks for customizing the shell, including step values, sequence expressions, the eval builtin, and implicit command-line continuation
* High-productivity editing techniques using vim and emacs
* A comprehensive, 295-page command reference section covering 98 utilities, including find, grep, sort, and tar
* Instructions for updating systems using apt-get and yum
* And much more, including coverage of BitTorrent, gawk, sed, find, sort, bzip2, and regular expressions « less
Principles and Practice
William Stallings' Cryptography and Network Security: Principles and Practice, 5e is a practical survey of cryptography and network security with unmatched support for instructors and students.
In this age of universal electronic connectivity, viruses and hackers, electronic eavesdropping, and electronic more » fraud, security is paramount. This text provides a practical survey of both the principles and practice of cryptography and network security. First, the basic issues to be addressed by a network security capability are explored through a tutorial and survey of cryptography and network security technology. Then, the practice of network security is explored via practical applications that have been implemented and are in use today. An unparalleled support package for instructors and students ensures a successful teaching and learning experience.
The new edition has been updated to include coverage of the latest topics including expanded coverage of block cipher modes of operation, including authenticated encryption; revised and expanded coverage of AES; expanded coverage of pseudorandom number generation; new coverage of federated identity, HTTPS, Secure Shell (SSH) and wireless network security; completely rewritten and updated coverage of IPsec; and a new chapter on legal and ethical issues. « less
How TCP/IP Works in a Modern Network
In 1994, W. Richard Stevens and Addison-Wesley published a networking classic: TCP/IP Illustrated. The model for that book was a brilliant, unfettered approach to networking concepts that has proven itself over time to be popular with readers of beginning to intermediate networking knowledge. The Illustrated more » Network takes this time-honored approach and modernizes it by creating not only a much larger and more complicated network, but also by incorporating all the networking advancements that have taken place since the mid-1990s, which are many.
This book takes the popular Stevens approach and modernizes it, employing 2008 equipment, operating systems, and router vendors. It presents an ?illustrated? explanation of how TCP/IP works with consistent examples from a real, working network configuration that includes servers, routers, and workstations. Diagnostic traces allow the reader to follow the discussion with unprecedented clarity and precision. True to the title of the book, there are 330+ diagrams and screen shots, as well as topology diagrams and a unique repeating chapter opening diagram. Illustrations are also used as end-of-chapter questions. A complete and modern network was assembled to write this book, with all the material coming from real objects connected and running on the network, not assumptions. Presents a real world networking scenario the way the reader sees them in a device-agnostic world. Doesn't preach one platform or the other.
Here are ten key differences between the two:
Older operating systems (AIX,svr4,etc.) Newer OSs (XP, Linux, FreeBSD, etc.)
Two routers (Cisco, Telebit (obsolete)) Two routers (M-series, J-series)
Slow Ethernet and SLIP link Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, and SONET/SDH links (modern)
Tcpdump for traces Newer, better utility to capture traces (Ethereal, now has
a new name!)
No IPSec IPSec
No multicast Multicast
No router security discussed Firewall routers detailed
No Web Full Web browser HTML consideration
No IPv6 IPv6 overview
Few configuration details More configuration details (ie, SSH, SSL, MPLS, ATM/FR consideration, wireless LANS, OSPF and BGP routing protocols * New Modern Approach to Popular Topic Adopts the popular Stevens approach and modernizes it, giving the reader insights into the most up-to-date network equipment, operating systems, and router vendors.
* Shows and Tells Presents an illustrated explanation of how TCP/IP works with consistent examples from a real, working network configuration that includes servers, routers, and workstations, allowing the reader to follow the discussion with unprecedented clarity and precision.
* Over 330 Illustrations True to the title, there are 330 diagrams, screen shots, topology diagrams, and a unique repeating chapter opening diagram to reinforce concepts
* Based on Actual Networks A complete and modern network was assembled to write this book, with all the material coming from real objects connected and running on the network, bringing the real world, not theory, into sharp focus. « less