Three.js – HTML5 and WebGL
Over the year’s web browsers have been incorporating new technologies, changing from simple page viewers with plain text and some images to platforms that allow us to create three-dimensional games.
The revolution began with improved CSS styles and continued with the addition of relational and documental more » databases and the ability to create applications that work in offline mode without internet connection. Progress continued with the incorporation of audiovisual technologies, the possibility of watching movies, native audio management, including speech recognition and speech synthesis for reading texts. Finally, the incorporation of 3D technology (WebGL) with hardware acceleration, motion detection and virtual reality technology, have meant that the WEB programming is as every bit as good as other platforms and traditional languages.
Therefore, I decided to start a collection of books that allows us to explore these developments and become true experts. To distinguish the collection from other books on the market I’ve focused on teaching how to perform a role-playing game in first person, merely as an excuse to gradually introduce WEB technologies.
What does the first book of the collection cover?
The book is aimed at those who want to explore how to create 3D animation, either to add visual elements to their web pages, as well as those who want to try their luck in game design. In it we’ll learn how to:
• Use the Three.js library to create and animate a basic scene.
• To prepare the development environment and solve the main problems we encounter.
• To use geometries and materials offered by the default library.
• To create advanced textures and transparencies.
• To illuminate the scene and create shadows.
• To load objects made with third party platforms and animate them using different techniques.
• To use the keyboard, mouse and even body movement to control the camera.
Finally, we’ll create our first game location. A beautiful medieval village with its castle and cemetery, full of villagers walking about and doing daily chores and a thick forest full of dangerous monsters.
What is the game like?
The game spans from the creation of 3D scenes to the management of music and sound effects, artificial intelligence, character animation and monsters, saving the current game, subsequently recovering it and finally packaging.
What prior knowledge is needed?
***** About This Book *****
* Enhance your 3D graphics with light sources, shadows, advanced materials, and textures
* Each subject is explained using extensive examples that you can use directly and adapt more » for your own purposes
***** Who This Book Is For *****
***** What You Will Learn *****
* Use the different geometries that are provided by Three.js
* Apply realistic lighting and shadows to the 3D objects you have created
* Use the different camera controls provided by Three.js to effortlessly navigate around your 3D scene
* Make use of advanced textures on materials to create realistic-looking 3D objects by using bump maps, normal maps, specular maps, and light maps
* Import and animate models from external formats, such as OBJ, STL, Collada, and many more
* Create and run animations using morph targets and bone animations
* Interact directly with WebGL by creating custom vertex and fragment shaders
***** In Detail *****
Over 80 shortcuts, solutions, and recipes that allow you to create the most stunning visualizations and 3D scenes using the Three.js library
Modern browsers are becoming more powerful each year and in recent years have adopted WebGL as the standard to deliver 3D graphics in a browser. Beginning with some basic recipes to get you started, this book will guide you through the most important features that Three.js has to offer. You'll even learn more » how to quickly create new geometries from scratch. Solutions and methods that show you how to use HTML5 video and canvas as textures will follow on from this.
By the end of the book, you'll be able to quickly add advanced features to your scene, improve the way users interact with your 3D scene, and make your scenes look stunning. « less
Create and animate beautiful 3D graphics with this fast-paced tutorial
Create beautiful visualizations and 3D scenes using Three.js with this practical, example-rich book. Learn all the core concepts of Three.js, and whether you are targeting mobile devices or desktop browsers, you will gain the necessary skills to build a 3D application and improve web performance.
From more » setting up a development environment and creating your first Three.js scene, you will quickly dive into more complex scene-making. Discover a variety of possible scenes from how to make a rotating planet with data overlay to mini games. Through these examples, you will be shown an array of skills from using materials, controls, and lighting to creating particle systems and geometries from scratch. « less
Embrace the next generation of game development and reach millions of gamers online with the Three.js 3D graphics library
Starting with how to build 3D games on the web using the Three.js graphics library, you will learn how to build 3D worlds with meshes, lighting, user interaction, physics, and more. Along the way, you'll learn how to build great online games through fun examples. Use this book as a guide to embrace the next generation of game development!
Moving on from the basics, you will learn how to use Three.js to build game worlds using its core components, including renderers, geometries, materials, lighting, cameras, and scenes. Following on from this, you will learn how to work with mouse and keyboard interactions, incorporate game physics, and import custom models and animations. You will also learn how to include effects like particles, sounds, and post-processing. You will start by building a 3D world, and then create a first person shooter game using it. You will then be shown how to imbue this FPS game with a "capture the flag" gameplay objective. With Game Development with Three.js, you will be able to build 3D games on the Web using the Three.js graphics library. « less
* Expert author delivers an in-depth tutorial showing how to build a real-world app that is loosely coupled, with each component built to exist separately
Leverage the power of Leap Motion to develop and deploy a fully interactive application
* Comprehensive and thorough coverage of many SDK features
* Intelligent usage of gesture interfaces
* In-depth, functional examples of API usage explained in detail
Leap Motion is a company developing advanced motion sensing technology for human-computer interaction. Originally more » inspired by the level of difficulty of using a mouse and keyboard for 3D modeling, Leap Motion believe that moulding virtual clay should be as easy as moulding clay in your hands. Leap Motion now focus on bringing this motion sensing technology closer to the real world.
Leap Motion Development Essentials explains the concepts and practical applications of gesture input for developers who want to take full advantage of Leap Motion technology. This guide explores the capabilities available to developers and gives you a clear overview of topics related to gesture input along with usable code samples.
Leap Motion Development Essentials shows you everything you need to know about the Leap Motion SDK, from creating a working program with gesture input to more sophisticated applications covering a range of relevant topics. Sample code is provided and explained along with details of the most important and central API concepts.
This book teaches you the essential information you need to design a gesture-enabled interface for your application, from specific gesture detection to best practices for this new input. You will be given guidance on practical considerations along with copious runnable demonstrations of API usage which are explained in step-by-step, reusable recipes.
What you will learn from this book
* Read finger and hand positions as well as motion information
* Detect where a user is pointing on a screen
* Recognize gestures - both built-in and user-defined
* Deal with multithreaded programming challenges to create responsive interfaces
* Explore the theory and concepts of gestural interfaces along with best practices
* Integrate the Leap with 3D web capabilities using WebGL and Three.js
* Add Leap support to a web page with no additional software or downloads required by users
This book is a fast-paced guide with practical examples that aims to help you understand and master the Leap Motion SDK.
Who this book is written for
This book is for developers who are either involved in game development or who are looking to utilize Leap Motion technology in order to create brand new user interaction experiences to distinguish their products from the mass market. You should be comfortable with high-level languages and object-oriented development concepts in order to get the most out of this book. « less
If you are an experienced web designer who wants to set the tone for an immersive design environment in your applications then this book is for you.
Building 3D Graphics for the Web