This book serves as an introduction to the level design process in Unreal Engine 4. By working with a number of different components within the Unreal Editor, readers will learn to create levels using BSPs, create custom materials, create custom Blueprints complete with events, import objects, create more » particle effects, create sound effects and combine them to create a complete playable game level. The book is designed to work step by step at the beginning of each chapter, then allow the reader to complete similar tasks on their own to show an understanding of the content. A companion website with project files and additional information is included. « less
Take your game development skills to the next level with one of the best engines on the market
* Build an entire AAA game level throughout the book
* Take your C++ scripting skills to the next level and use them extensively to build the game
* An advanced practical guide with a tutorial style approach that will help you make the best of Unreal engine 4
Unreal more » Engine 4 has garnered a lot of attention in the gaming world because of its new and improved graphics and rendering engine, the physics simulator, particle generator, and more. This book is the ideal guide to help you leverage all these features to create state-of-the-art games that capture the eye of your audience.
Inside we'll explain advanced shaders and effects techniques and how you can implement them in your games. You'll create custom lighting effects, use the physics simulator to add that extra edge to your games, and create customized game environments that look visually stunning using the rendering technique. You'll find out how to use the new rendering engine efficiently, add amazing post-processing effects, and use data tables to create data-driven gameplay that is engaging and exciting.
By the end of this book, you will be able to create professional games with stunning graphics using Unreal Engine 4!
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Script your player controls in C++
* Build a superb and engaging level with advanced design techniques
* Program AI with C++
* Use Cascade to add life to your games
* Use custom shaders and advanced shading techniques to make things pretty
* Implement an awesome UI in the game
* Control gameplay using data tables
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Muhammad A.Moniem started in the industry at a very early age. He taught himself everything related to the game development process even before he joined college. After becoming a software engineer, he started to teach himself the art of game design and game art techniques. As a self-taught person, he was able to find his way into the industry very easily, which led him to be hired for big, medium, and small companies, titles, and teams.
Throughout his career, he has been able to contribute as a full-time or part-time employee or freelancer on games for a wide range of platforms, including Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, and OUYA. He has also worked with technologies such as VR, AR, and Kinect. Muhammad started using Unreal Engine 3 in 2007, moved to Unreal Engine 4 when it became available to the public in 2014, and has used UDK for some indie games.
Eventually, he was able to establish his own one-person game company/team as a part-time independent developer. A lot of his indie games have received recognition or have been finalists at international indie game events, such as IGF, Indie Showcase, IGC, and Tokyo Game Show. You can get in touch via twitter @_mamoniem
He has also worked on Learning Unreal® Engine iOS Game Development, Packt Publishing, which is available at https://www.packtpub.com/game-development/learning-unreal-engine-ios-game-development, and Unreal Engine Lighting and Rendering Essentials, which is available at https://www.packtpub.com/gamedevelopment/unreal-engine-lighting-and-rendering-essentials.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Preparing for a Big Project
2. Setting Up Your Warrior
3. Designing Your Playground
4. The Road to Thinkable AI
5. Adding Collectables
6. The Magic of Particles
7. Enhancing the Visual Quality
8. Cinematics and In-Game Cutscenes
9. Implementing the Game UI
10. Save the Game Progress
11. Controlling Gameplay via Data Tables
12. Ear Candy
13. Profiling the Game Performance
14. Packaging the Game « less
Sams Teach Yourself
In just 24 lessons of one hour or less, learn how to start using Unreal Engine 4 to build amazing games for Windows, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, iOS, Android, the web, Linux–or all of them!
Sams Teach Yourself Unreal Engine 4 Game Development in 24 Hours’ straightforward, step-by-step approach shows you how more » to work with Unreal Engine 4’s interface, its workflows, and its most powerful editors and tools. In just hours you’ll be creating effects, scripting warfare, implementing physics–even developing for mobile devices and HUDs. Every lesson builds on what you’ve already learned, giving you a rock-solid foundation for real-world success.
* Organize new projects and work with the Gameplay Framework
* Master Unreal’s units and control systems
* Import 3D models and work with the Static Mesh Editor
* Create new landscapes and use Unreal’s foliage system
* Bring characters and creatures to life with the Persona Editor
* Apply materials and build lighting
* Integrate and modify audio with the Unreal Sound Cue Editor
* Craft particle effects and simulate physics
* Set up and react to player inputs
* Build levels and entirely new worlds
* Get started with powerful Blueprint visual scripting system
* Script an arcade game from start to finish
* Create events that respond to player actions
* Spawn Actors during gameplay
* Design and create action-based encounters
* Optimize games for mobile devices and touch-based inputs
* Build menus with Unreal’s UMG UI Designer
* Prepare your game for deployment
Step-by-step instructions carefully walk you through the most common Unreal Engine 4 game development tasks.
Practical, hands-on examples show you how to apply what you learn.
Quizzes and Exercises help you test your knowledge and stretch your skills.
Notes and tips point out shortcuts and solutions.
All the project files and assets you'll need are available for download, including "before-and-after" files demonstrating initial setup and proper completion for every exercise. « less
Get the best out of your games by scripting them using UE4
* A straightforward and easy-to-follow format
* A selection of the most important tasks and problems
* Carefully organized instructions to solve problems efficiently
* Clear explanations of what you did
* Solutions that can be applied to solve real-world problems
Unreal more » Engine 4 (UE4) is a complete suite of game development tools made by game developers, for game developers. With more than 100 practical recipes, this book is a guide showcasing techniques to use the power of C++ scripting while developing games with UE4. It will start with adding and editing C++ classes from within the Unreal Editor. It will delve into one of Unreal's primary strengths, the ability for designers to customize programmer-developed actors and components. It will help you understand the benefits of when and how to use C++ as the scripting tool. With a blend of task-oriented recipes, this book will provide actionable information about scripting games with UE4, and manipulating the game and the development environment using C++. Towards the end of the book, you will be empowered to become a top-notch developer with Unreal Engine 4 using C++ as the scripting language.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
* Build function libraries (Blueprints) containing reusable code to reduce upkeep
* Move low-level functions from Blueprint into C++ to improve performance
* Abstract away complex implementation details to simplify designer workflows
* Incorporate existing libraries into your game to add extra functionality such as hardware integration
* Implement AI tasks and behaviors in Blueprints and C++
* Generate data to control the appearance and content of UI elements
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
William Sherif is a C++ programmer with more than eight years of experience in the programming world, ranging from game programming to web programming. He also worked as a university course instructor (sessional) for seven years. Additionally, he released several apps on the iTunes store, including Strum and MARSHALL OF THE ELITE SQUADRON. In the past, he has won acclaim for delivering course material in an easy-to-understand manner.
Stephen Whittle is a game developer and educator with nearly 10 years of development experience, most of which has been done using Unreal Engine. He is a community contributor to the engine, with features or bug fixes included in almost every major version of the engine since its public release.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. UE4 Development Tools
2. Creating Classes
3. Memory Management and Smart Pointers
4. Actors and Components
5. Handling Events and Delegates
6. Input and Collision
7. Communication between Classes and Interfaces
8. Integrating C++ and the Unreal Editor
9. User Interfaces – UI and UMG
10. AI for Controlling NPCs
11. Custom Materials and Shaders
12. Working with UE4 APIs « less
*** Key Features ***
* Get to grips with the user interface of Unreal Engine 4 and find out more about its various robust features
* Create dream video games with the help of the different tools Unreal Engine 4 offers
* Create video-games and fully utilize the power of Unreal Engine 4 to bring games more » to life through this step-by-step guide
*** Book Description ***
Unreal Engine 4 is a complete suite of game development tools that gives you power to develop your game and seamlessly deploy it to iOS and Android devices. It can be used for the development of simple 2D games or even stunning high-end visuals. Unreal Engine features a high degree
of portability and is a tool used by many game developers today.
This book will introduce you to the most popular game development tool called Unreal Engine 4 with hands-on instructions for building stunning video games. You will begin by creating a new project or prototype by learning the essentials of Unreal Engine by getting familiar with the UI and Content Browser. Next, we'll import a sample asset from Autodesk 3ds max and learn more about Material Editor. After that we will learn more about Post Process. From there we will continue to learn more about Blueprints, Lights, UMG, C++ and more.
*** What you will learn ***
* Download both the binary and source version of Unreal Engine 4 and get familiar with the UI
* Get to know more about the Material Editor and how it works
* Add a post process to the scene and alter it to get a unique look for your scene
* Acquaint yourself with the unique and exclusive feature of Unreal Engine 4―Blueprints
* Find out more about Static and Dynamic lighting and the difference between various lights
* Use Matinee to create cut scenes
* Create a health bar for the player with the use of Unreal Motion Graphics (UMG)
* Get familiar with Cascade Particle Editor
*** About the Author ***
Satheesh PV is a game programmer living in Mumbai, India. He was selected by Epic Games as one of the closed beta testers for Unreal Engine 4 before its public release. He started his career as a game developer in 2012 by making a first person multiplayer game with his brother and close friend using Unreal Development Kit. He also created Unreal X-Editor, which was an IDE developed for UnrealScript, the native scripting language of Unreal Engine 3. He is also a moderator at Unreal Engine forums as well as a spotlight member and engine contributor.
*** Table of Contents ***
1. Introduction to Unreal Engine 4
2. Importing Assets
4. Post Process
8. Unreal Motion Graphics
10. Introduction to Unreal C++
11. Packaging Project « less
Learn C++ programming with a fun, real-world application that allows you to create your own games!
Unreal Engine 4 is used to create top notch, exciting games by AAA studios, and learning to program in C++ needs some serious motivation.
Learning C++ by Creating Games With UE4 will start with the basics of C++: installing a code editor so you can begin to write C++ code. You will then learn how more » to write small, self-contained C++ programs that show you how to use the C++ language, without overwhelming you with too much code at the beginning. As we dig into more advanced C++ concepts, you will start to explore the functionality the UE4 engine has to offer. You will use the UE4 editor to create your own world, and then program in some seriously fun gameplay. By the end of this book, you should have a good grasp of how to program in C++. « less
Create exciting iOS games with the power of the new Unreal Engine 4 subsystems
Unreal Engine 4 has always been the best measurement for industry standards. With all its tools and power, game developers and designers can reach a new level of productivity for their games with the lowest cost ever.
Learning Unreal Engine iOS Game Development teaches you the basics of iOS game development more » using Unreal Engine 4. You will discover how to build an engaging Unreal iOS game, how to generate revenue, and how to optimize game performance using the tools and functionalities the Engine provides. To begin, you will start by preparing the required files for an iOS game using the developer's portal. Next, you will go through purchasing, installing, and building game elements for different game types, picked from the chart of the latest trending games. By the end of the book, you will be able to add social and monetization functionalities to your game and submit it for review to the app store. « less
Create your own third-person shooter game using the Unreal Development Kit to create your own game on Apple's iOS devices, such as the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch
* Learn the fundamentals of the Unreal Editor to create gameplay environments and interactive elements
* Create a third person shooter intended for the iOS and optimize any game with special considerations for the target platform
* Take your completed game to Apple's App Store with a detailed walkthrough more » on how to do it
It has never been a more attractive time to be an app developer. With no signs of stopping, Apple's iOS devices are dominating the mobile scene and with UDK, the free version of the most popular third-party game engine available, it has never been easier to get into the app business.
"UDK iOS Game Development Beginner’s Guide" takes a clear, step-by-step approach to building a small third-person shooter game using the Unreal Development Kit with plenty of examples on how to create a game that is uniquely your own.
You will begin learning the fundamentals of the Unreal Engine before creating a third-person shooter game in UDK. After the game is created you will learn what can be done with any project to optimize your game for the iOS platform and discover special considerations that need to be made. Finally, you'll publish your game on the App Store for the world to see and play along, with details on different costs associated with publishing.
If you would like to make iOS games with the Unreal Development Kit or are interested in porting your game from PC to iOS, this book is for you.
What will you learn from this book
* Go through the stages of creating a level using rapid prototyping
* Tips on converting your already created title to be more mobile-friendly
* How to create an interior and exterior environment with textures, lighting, and meshes
* Use the visual scripting language Kismet to create interactive objects and new gameplay features, such as re-generating health
* Import your own custom content into your level for your own unique game and extend functionality by creating your own heads-up display
* Learn about playtesting; its benefits, and how to effectively do it as well as how to increase the speed of your workflow using prefabs and Geometry Mode
* The current royalty models employed by Epic and UDK for UDK-developed iOS titles and possible avenues for monetization
* How to publish your game on the iTunes store with custom icons and information
The book takes a step-by-step process in completing tasks with many detailed illustrations while allowing you to add your own creativity to the mix to create a game that is uniquely your own.
Who this book is written for
If you would like to make iOS games with the Unreal Development Kit or are interested in porting your game from PC to iOS, this book is for you. « less
Create 3D game worlds complete with textures, levels, and props
The book takes a clear, step-by-step approach to building a complete game level using SketchUp with many props and textures. This book is designed for anyone who wants to create entire 3D worlds in freely available game engines such as Unity 3D, CryEngine, Ogre, Panda3D, Unreal Engine, and Blender Game more » Engine. It also targets all those who wish to create new levels and assets to sell in game asset stores or use in visualization or animation. « less